Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Queer Books

What are your favorites?

I have read quite a lot and cant really remember the names of a lot of them. There was a book i read a while back called "Annie on my mind" which i dont think you can get in the UK (An american person i know gave me it). It was sort of like a book for teenagers, but it was well written and quite lovely.

Tipping the velvet-as well as being my favorite Lez tv Drama was also my favorite book. I read the book a few years before the show.. and thought it was totally sexy, with great characters and an amazing plot.

Oranges are not the only fruit-One of the first 'queer' books i read.. went to a book reading when jeanette wintersone was reading from her new book..which i totally didnt buy and instead bought 'written on the body' which i think might be one of the most beautiful books i have read.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

The two non-erotica books that I find particularly memorable are Stone Butch Blues and Self-Made Man.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
The two non-erotica books that I find particularly memorable are Stone Butch Blues and Self-Made Man.
ahh i love Poppy Z Brite. I think my favorite book of hers was 'Exquisite corpse' Even though the queers are necrophelliac serial killers, still i find it a strangly beautiful book. PZB Is such a .. what did butch say.. Fruit fly!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There's a coffee table book that's close to my heart. It's called Out In America. My father in law and his husband were in a two page photo about in the middle of the book. It was taken during a march on Washington in the mid nineties. There was a massive wedding during the march and they're in their matching white tuxes and pink ties/cumberbuns and kissing. It's a great photo. The book has so many beautiful photos. It's more of a moving book of photos than a lot of words.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Elij

Elij has said some nice things

Tipping the Velvet was my first lesbian novel and I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the TV show as well, but I would have like to see more of the book in the show.
Elij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I enjoyed Tipping the Velvet as well, and of course Stone Butch Blues is one of my favorite books ever. I think the first lesbian book I read was Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. A friend read it in one of her college courses, and recommended it to me many years ago.

If you want a blast from the past, and possibly the most famous lesbian book, historically speaking, check out Radcyffe Hall's The Well of Loneliness. I also would recommend Virginia Woolf's Orlando, I adore it.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

A few years ago I read a really great teen series, which I know is probably not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. The series is called Rainbow Boys and it's a set of 3 books I believe. It was about coming out and such; I thought it was a touching book.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
I enjoyed Tipping the Velvet as well, and of course Stone Butch Blues is one of my favorite books ever. I think the first lesbian book I read was Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. A friend read it in one of her college courses, and recommended it to me many years ago.

If you want a blast from the past, and possibly the most famous lesbian book, historically speaking, check out Radcyffe Hall's The Well of Loneliness. I also would recommend Virginia Woolf's Orlando, I adore it.
I absolutely adore the Sarah Waters' books I've read so far (her first three novels including Tipping the Velvet). Her books are total escapism for me (another time, place, and sexuality). I heard her interviewed on NPR when her first book came out, ordered it from Amazon and was hooked from there.

I read The Well of Loneliness about fifteen years ago and found it very good, but sad. I have a real vintage find called "Diana: A Strange Biography" written in the '50's about a young lesbian. I read it long ago, but I'm pretty sure it ends tragically with her suicide. This was surely a difficult time to not conform to "acceptable" social norms.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Queer Books?

Are there as many queer books as there are queer films?

The only ones I can think of are of the pulpy/trashy variety. I remember reading a book a long time ago called Little Girl Lost from the late 60's maybe that had a half naked young woman hiding under some bedsheets on the cover. I know of certain writers like Vin Packer and Valerie Taylor who wrote fiction about lesbian relationships and Marijane Meaker writing as Ann Bannon wrote among other things two nonfiction books about being a Kyke (is that the word she used?) in New York during the 1960's before and after Stonewall.

Does anybody know of any more lesbian books and lesbian writers writing about being lesbians?
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

May I please mention my fave fag of all time?

David Sedaris!!!

Naked
Me Talk Pretty One Day (yes Yes YES!)
Barrel Fever
Holidays On Ice

Quote:
Hugh and I have been together for so long that in order to arouse extraordinary passion, we need to engage in physical combat. Once, he hit me on the back of the head with a broken wineglass, and I fell to the floor pretending to be unconscious. That was romantic, or would have been had he rushed to my side rather than stepping over my body to fetch the dustpan
Okay, so he's not that serious, but jesus he'll make you bust a nut laughin'!

AND I just wanna add I just made my 1,000th post, and it's on the GLBTQ board!!
How's that for PRIDE?
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.

Last edited by Mishty; 02-11-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: oops! 1000!
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
ahh i love Poppy Z Brite. I think my favorite book of hers was 'Exquisite corpse' Even though the queers are necrophelliac serial killers, still i find it a strangly beautiful book. PZB Is such a .. what did butch say.. Fruit fly!!!
I LOVE her!
I love her vampire erotica editor stuff!
Like Love In Vein II- which has some killer lesbian vampire love scenes....

Quote:
Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about her gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. She self-identifies almost completely as male rather than female but makes no attempt to dress or appear male and does not expect to be referred to as "he". Brite is comfortable with the term "non-operative transsexual".
- From GoodReads
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.

Last edited by Mishty; 02-11-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cunt - not really lesbian, but still amazing in its own right.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
A few years ago I read a really great teen series, which I know is probably not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. The series is called Rainbow Boys and it's a set of 3 books I believe. It was about coming out and such; I thought it was a touching book.
No lie, reading Rainbow Boys gave me a whole new level of comfortability with my sexuality.
When Alex Sanchez wrote about the two boys having sex, and he just made it seem so.... normal.
It meant EVERYTHING to my confused little self.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Equisite Corpse and Written on the Body are two good books with hot sex scenes!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Are there as many queer books as there are queer films?

The only ones I can think of are of the pulpy/trashy variety. I remember reading a book a long time ago called Little Girl Lost from the late 60's maybe that had a half naked young woman hiding under some bedsheets on the cover. I know of certain writers like Vin Packer and Valerie Taylor who wrote fiction about lesbian relationships and Marijane Meaker writing as Ann Bannon wrote among other things two nonfiction books about being a Kyke (is that the word she used?) in New York during the 1960's before and after Stonewall.

Does anybody know of any more lesbian books and lesbian writers writing about being lesbians?
There are many lesbian films that are based on Books. I know for a fact that Daphne Du maurier (The birds, Rebecca, Dont look now) was a lesbian though her books arnt about being a lesbian though i have looked for lesbian sub text in them. lol. Jeanette Winterstone said that in many of her books she based situations and characters on her life. 'Oranges are not the only fruit' was partly about her working class upbringing in the north of England. I went to see her and got her to sign a copy of written on the body..but i gave it away! . I mentioned this before, but written on the body is an amazing book and if anyone hasnt read it then i would totally recomend it,,
There is something really interesting about the way it is written too, which i dont know if it will spoil the book or not.. so if you dont want to know dont read any further..

Potential slight spoiler.....WARNING.

Although, you asume that the characters in the book are two women, she never Actually mentions this fact.She leaves it open to interpratation. Someone told me this and i totally didnt believe them, so i read through the book again and its actually true... So it may or may not be a book about two women.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #16
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
]Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about her gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. She self-identifies almost completely as male rather than female but makes no attempt to dress or appear male and does not expect to be referred to as "he". Brite is comfortable with the term "non-operative transsexual".

Really, i had no idea. Well that just makes her even more interesting. I just assumed she was obsessed with gay men. I suppose that makes sense, if she sees herself as a male who finds men attractive that she would identify more with gay male characters.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
olwen
Disco Bear

Ah I forgot about Simone De Beauvoir and Anais Nin. Nin was bi right? I can never remember.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Ah I forgot about Simone De Beauvoir and Anais Nin. Nin was bi right? I can never remember.
yes, she had an affair with June Miller (Henry millers wife). Her erotic stories are Just amazing!! some are pretty fucked up though.. one minuite your like,.hmm thats nice and the next you are like..EEK!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In 1995 I read Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series and loved them so much I packed up my car and moved across the country to San Francisco. Highly recommended (the books and the city!).
Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
Bagalute

Bagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Jeanette Winterstone said that in many of her books she based situations and characters on her life. 'Oranges are not the only fruit' was partly about her working class upbringing in the north of England.
I also liked "Oranges are not the only fruit" though my professor told me her other books are even better. But I haven't gotten around to read any of them yet.

"Middlesex" was a great read and a real eye opener.
I thought "Angels in America" to be very moving.
What I didn't really grasp was Gertrude Stein. To much out of space for me I guess
Well and if you want to count him in: Who doesn't love Oscar Wilde?
Bagalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
kamandi

kamandi has said some nice things

E.M Forster's "Maurice", anyone? A novel the author didn't want published during his lifetime - released in 1971, the novel was completed in 1914.

The dedication reads:

Begun 1913
Finished 1914

Dedicated to a Happier Year

Hugh Grant is in the film version...
kamandi is offline   Reply With Quote