Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Dimensions Coffeehouse/Disco Thread (aka the music thread)

OK, what are you listening to? An old Bronski Beat CD? The Best of Cris Williamson? Madonna's Ray of Light? This is your place to discuss music and the centrality of music to GLBTQ life.

I think right now my favorite lesbian music is Tegan and Sara. On the whole, I so fit the lesbian stereotype when it comes to music-give me a folksy female singer/songwriter, and I melt, regardless of their sexual orientation.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
chicken legs
yawn

chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

omg..omg...

I love dance music, trance, ultra lounge, etc. I could get and got lost for hours moving to it. Anytime I feel low energy i just put something like this on

http://www.dailymotion.com/mojitofor...-weekend_music

Oh God do i miss clubbing.
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This looks like a good opening to ask about something I was pondering the other day. I was thinking about openly gay musicians who have had some commercial success, and all males I could think of were more disco-ish (think Village People), while all the females I could think of tend to be more rock/punk (think Rough Trade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJHtzdvfKg, Mellisa Etheridge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzcAWhn0zRI, etc).

Is it just that I like rock so tend to hear gay women who are rockers, and can't avoid certain bad disco songs, or is this the general trend?

And although I'm probably not the target audience, this is kind of on topic: just before seeing this thread I put on Hunter Valentine's CD "The Impatient Romantic." They are an all female, all gay, rock group from Toronto (who've I've raved about around Dimensions before). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeDOa0bES4 or go look them up on facebook
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
This looks like a good opening to ask about something I was pondering the other day. I was thinking about openly gay musicians who have had some commercial success, and all males I could think of were more disco-ish (think Village People), while all the females I could think of tend to be more rock/punk (think Rough Trade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJHtzdvfKg, Mellisa Etheridge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzcAWhn0zRI, etc).

Is it just that I like rock so tend to hear gay women who are rockers, and can't avoid certain bad disco songs, or is this the general trend?

And although I'm probably not the target audience, this is kind of on topic: just before seeing this thread I put on Hunter Valentine's CD "The Impatient Romantic." They are an all female, all gay, rock group from Toronto (who've I've raved about around Dimensions before). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeDOa0bES4 or go look them up on facebook
Thats so weird.. i was actually thinking this today too. I was thinking that i couldnt think of that many gay musicians i liked..
I used to love Riot grrrl music so i guess a few of them were queer.
I of course am a queer musician! lol.. though, i very rarely play live and now its more of a hobby than something i live and do.
I think Elton John is a genius of course.. And a bit of a knob!
oh and michael stipe i love too..
there musrt be loads that i love but just cant think..
Oh i also love the Buzzcocks and the lead singer was gay..
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Morrissey, just for a wee change, who has described himself as both bisexual (in the 80s he said this) and asexual (in the 90s)

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I grew up listening to classical music and danced to Madonna, Kylie and the like with my queer friends. These days I just listen to whatever my friends recommend (mostly trance since my partner loves that) and I usually like it but it mostly fades into the background.

Female musicians in general make me melt though.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post

I think right now my favorite lesbian music is Tegan and Sara. On the whole, I so fit the lesbian stereotype when it comes to music-give me a folksy female singer/songwriter, and I melt, regardless of their sexual orientation.
Yesssh!
Okay right now I'm loving you!

I love coffee house music(Sirius 6O3O) and lately I've been listening to the heartbreak stuff like, Griffin House, Audra Mae and Suzanne Vega.
Throw in some Kinks and Tom Waits and you have my iPod. lol

Hmmm so is it cool to give some MP3 links on here? Or are we going to have the great GLBTQ thread music thief uproar?

Lola -The Kinks

My fave drag song evar...
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
openly gay musicians who have had some commercial success
Lacking in gay men in rock/pop? I think not (not sure about the open part for some, but):

(on the left, of course; not sure about "the other guy")

(is Bernie Taupin gay as well?)

and can't forget:

(also note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ&fmt=18 - I'm sure Roger Taylor's miniskirt-clad figure must have been a mite confusing to those poor American Queen fans; according to Mr Mercury himself, when the drag idea came up, the rest of the band "ran into their frocks quicker than anything")
Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hm...can't say I know the sexuality of any members of my favourite bands. I listen to industrial, hardcore, metal and techno, fwiw.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to say that the music in all the gay bars here is absolutely atrocious. Tired, clichéd crap - I don't know how anyone dances to most of it (unless they are sooooooo drunk).
Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagimawr View Post
and can't forget:

(also note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ&fmt=18 - I'm sure Roger Taylor's miniskirt-clad figure must have been a mite confusing to those poor American Queen fans; according to Mr Mercury himself, when the drag idea came up, the rest of the band "ran into their frocks quicker than anything")
Ah, I did forget about Queen....how could I have done that! I do consider Freddie Mercury to be a classic example of both "queer" and "pansexual." Maybe it is because their songs tend to not be what you might call 'relationship' songs?

I didn't include Elton John, because he doesn't write his lyrics....and hence doesn't give a lot of the message to the songs. Although I think he is both tremendously talented and occasionally adorable.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like Ani DiFranco. Love her actually. And I relate to her as a bisexual woman married to a man. Her lyrics rock me to the core and she is the type of person I would love to be.

I also love Tracy Chapman. An openly gay woman. She is so beautiful and she is another one who has great lyrics. Less socially aware than Ani but thought provoking none the less.
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellySSBBW View Post
I like Ani DiFranco. Love her actually. And I relate to her as a bisexual woman married to a man. Her lyrics rock me to the core and she is the type of person I would love to be.

I also love Tracy Chapman. An openly gay woman. She is so beautiful and she is another one who has great lyrics. Less socially aware than Ani but thought provoking none the less.
Yes on both counts!

Tracy has been one of top singers since Jr.High!
"Fast Car" was my anthem there for a while...
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Absolute Torch and Twang and Ingenue by k.d. lang are two of my favorite cds from many years ago. Other than "Crying" w/Roy Orbison and "Calling All Angels" with Jane Siberry (two amazing recordings imo), I've not heard or purchased anything since those two cds. What do people think of what she's doing nowadays? I feel like I need to revisit her music again.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
Absolute Torch and Twang and Ingenue by k.d. lang are two of my favorite cds from many years ago. Other than "Crying" w/Roy Orbison and "Calling All Angels" with Jane Siberry (two amazing recordings imo), I've not heard or purchased anything since those two cds. What do people think of what she's doing nowadays? I feel like I need to revisit her music again.
You beat me to it, Laura. Actually, when "Ingenue" came out, I was fairly convinced I was a lesbian for about 6 months, so utterly smitten I was with k.d. lang and her voice (heh). Anyway, I do have her cd's since then and like them, but nothing has really come close to those two, in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy View Post
Morrissey, just for a wee change, who has described himself as both bisexual (in the 80s he said this) and asexual (in the 90s)
I watched something on tv about Morrissey a while ago and i remember him saying he was asexual and i remember thinking he seemed on the gay side of asexual if that makes sense?? hmm i know it doesnt actually/?!!..but he was hanging around with all these faded movie diva type ladies and i thought that was very like what a lot of my gay male friends would love to do. Then again morrissey seems pretty unique as a person, particularaly one who is in the public eye for what he does.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Melissa...Melissa..Melissa...she is one of the backbones of my musical library (Etheridge btw)....as are the Indigo Girls and Ani.

I love songwriters, I love the words, so they easily impress, no matter who they are kissing.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm a huge, HUGE neo soul, underground music fan.

Right now on heavy rotation its:

Georgia Ann Muldrow
N'Dambi
David Anthony
Conya Doss
Fertile Ground
Rahsaan Patterson
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #18
pancake_lovebeam
Spastastic

pancake_lovebeam can now change their title

I have a funny little thing called Synethesia specifically grounded in sound/music in the broad band spectrum. I listen to practically anything that doesn't cause a bad reaction with the ...thing.
So... I've had Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney's "Fancy Meeting You Here", Thomas Dolby's "Astronauts and Heretics" and the Klaus Nomi catalog on repeat over here for a week.
I could go on all day with music. For that sake of others I'll stop here.
pancake_lovebeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
mergirl

have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A6IR58Htg
intense! Love your name btw!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #20
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
I'm a huge, HUGE neo soul, underground music fan.

Right now on heavy rotation its:

Georgia Ann Muldrow
N'Dambi
David Anthony
Conya Doss
Fertile Ground
Rahsaan Patterson
I think the closest i have to that in my music collection is the nuyorican soul album, the masters at work one. I bought it years ago and India's "runaway" is my happy dancing song and also my break up-fuck it! song!!!.. Though, that album is certainly not underground..i think everyone i know has a copy!!
hmm..i tried to look up "runaway" on youtube and they just have an acapella version which isnt great, it just sounds like Indias drunk or something.. and a version where she is in a car singing along with a recording of herself!? hmm
Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
chicken legs
yawn

chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
have you seen this?
His singing reminded me of U2's song "lemon"

Normal version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCE_...eature=related

Paul Oakenfold's perfecto mix version: ("ready to wear" soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Y0H...eature=related

Bad Yard remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkfQ...eature=related

Live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FlB...eature=related

lol..can you tell i really like the song I would love to see them in concert again.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #22
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken legs View Post
His singing reminded me of U2's song "lemon"

Normal version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCE_...eature=related

Paul Oakenfold's perfecto mix version: ("ready to wear" soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Y0H...eature=related

Bad Yard remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkfQ...eature=related

Live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FlB...eature=related

lol..can you tell i really like the song I would love to see them in concert again.
Ha! I liked the live version. It looked exciting! Plus i liked his horns!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
pancake_lovebeam
Spastastic

pancake_lovebeam can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
have you seen this?
Ah yes, The Cold Song. <3 That thing tears me apart and puts me back together.
pancake_lovebeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #24
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

lots of good acts with lgbt members: the magnetic fields, lou reed, imperial teen, sleater-kinney, le tigre, ani difranco, green day, r.e.m., franz ferdinand, menya, tegan and sara, the smiths, pet shop boys, deerhunter (well their last album), hercules and love affair, team dresch, of montreal (well their last album), pansy division, tom robinson band, larry levan, arthur russell, scissor sisters, husker du, sugar, soft cell, b-52s, gravy train!!!!, savage garden, placebo, the promise ring, yo majesty, mr. bowie

Last edited by exile in thighville; 02-15-2009 at 02:09 AM.
exile in thighville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #25
chicken legs
yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile in thighville View Post
lots of good acts with lgbt members: the magnetic fields, lou reed, imperial teen, sleater-kinney, le tigre, ani difranco, green day, r.e.m., franz ferdinand, menya, tegan and sara, the smiths, pet shop boys, deerhunter (well their last album), hercules and love affair, team dresch, of montreal (well their last album), pansy division, tom robinson band, larry levan, arthur russell, scissor sisters, husker du, sugar, soft cell, b-52s, gravy train!!!!, savage garden, placebo, the promise ring, yo majesty, mr. bowie
a few songs that popped in my head...

Greenday...Brainstew/jaded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63aTdq7SnOY

Scissor Sister...Filthy Gorgeous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hzI7JHivm0

Pet Shop Boys...West End Girls..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHfoIfo_7A