Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
AFatChance

AFatChance has said some nice things
Default Him, Her, and Society

So, in my Acting class last semester we read a play titled Fat Pig. The play, if you are not familiar with it, is by Neil Labute and revolves around a man who falls in love with a significantly overweight woman. The woman is very pretty -- just overweight -- and has one of the best personalities.

In the end, even though he is in love with Helen (the oveweight woman), he breaks up with her, because he is embarrassed by society's reaction to their relationship.

It's actually really depressing.

So, anyway, my question was if anyone would do that. I mean be very sexually attracted to a guy (or girl), but would ultimately be afraid of society's reaction and leave their significant other.

I assume not, but it seems like there may be some FFAs or FAs out there who do not acknowledge their attraction, because they are wimps to society.

I mean I am significantly overweight. If I was with an average sized girl and her friends and family did not understand or accept her attraction it would be tough for her. Anyway, just wondering if anyone's felt pressured and how they deal with it.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
the hanging belly

the hanging belly has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFatChance View Post
So, in my Acting class last semester we read a play titled Fat Pig. The play, if you are not familiar with it, is by Neil Labute and revolves around a man who falls in love with a significantly overweight woman. The woman is very pretty -- just overweight -- and has one of the best personalities.

In the end, even though he is in love with Helen (the oveweight woman), he breaks up with her, because he is embarrassed by society's reaction to their relationship.

It's actually really depressing.

So, anyway, my question was if anyone would do that. I mean be very sexually attracted to a guy (or girl), but would ultimately be afraid of society's reaction and leave their significant other.

I assume not, but it seems like there may be some FFAs or FAs out there who do not acknowledge their attraction, because they are wimps to society.

I mean I am significantly overweight. If I was with an average sized girl and her friends and family did not understand or accept her attraction it would be tough for her. Anyway, just wondering if anyone's felt pressured and how they deal with it.
I've had one guy tell me that he didn't want to be seen out in public with me because people he knew gave him weird looks. He's rail thin and I'm the total opposite, so yeah that hurt. Thankfully he was never anything more than a friend to me. But yeah I think its something that even if not immediately present, is always there at the back of your mind. I find myself far more comfortable liking big guys, even those who aren't anywhere near as big as me, because they generally understand how I feel and are less likely to leave me because of my weight (or object if I gain a few more kilos hehe)
the hanging belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
JiminOR
Huh huh, it says member

JiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticed

I've seen more than a few bbws make references to guys that are all hot n' heavy for them on the internet, but won't follow through in real life because of public perception. I swear I see a post like that at least once a week here (in the overall forums, not the bhm/ffa forums). It's a pretty common attitude from what I gather.
JiminOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
anybodys

anybodys can now change their title

I wouldn't. The last guy I was with was quite big, but he actually was embarassed to be seen with me, for other reasons. If he hadn't been, I would have been all too happy to show him off.
anybodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Happened to me in my younger pre-married days.Doesn't do a lot for your self esteem.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Bellyjeansgirl

Bellyjeansgirl can now change their title

My grandmother has literally said to me that her dying wish is for me to date a nice handsome man. AKA not fat.

I smiled and took my current boyfriend out to dinner.

Then again, I've always been opinionated and stubborn. I do what and who I want thank you very much
Bellyjeansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
AFatChance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyjeansgirl View Post
My grandmother has literally said to me that her dying wish is for me to date a nice handsome man. AKA not fat.

I smiled and took my current boyfriend out to dinner.

Then again, I've always been opinionated and stubborn. I do what and who I want thank you very much
Great attitude! I wish more people were this way.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
TheMildlyStrangeone

TheMildlyStrangeone carries a lot of weight on this boardTheMildlyStrangeone carries a lot of weight on this boardTheMildlyStrangeone carries a lot of weight on this boardTheMildlyStrangeone carries a lot of weight on this boardTheMildlyStrangeone carries a lot of weight on this board

I've seen three of Neil Labute's films but never any stage productions. I loved In the Company of Men and The Shape of Things. Your Friends & Neighbors wasn't nearly as strong IMO. His themes in his films are always misanthropic and it wouldn't surprise me at all to read he did a play about this. He likes to play with societal norms and toss them around. In the film, In the Company of Men, two men make a competition out of who can bed the deaf girl first. From the pictures of i've seen of Labute he might fall into the Bhm category himself. Maybe he masked himself as the women character and wrote the play from a pov of himself. Who knows...
TheMildlyStrangeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
StarMoon

StarMoon has said some nice things

As I said in my previous thread, after any anger receded I would count the whole situation a blessing, after all its obvious they aren't going to stick around through thick and thin and therefore are not worth your time.
StarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
AFatChance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMildlyStrangeone View Post
I've seen three of Neil Labute's films but never any stage productions. I loved In the Company of Men and The Shape of Things. Your Friends & Neighbors wasn't nearly as strong IMO. His themes in his films are always misanthropic and it wouldn't surprise me at all to read he did a play about this. He likes to play with societal norms and toss them around. In the film, In the Company of Men, two men make a competition out of who can bed the deaf girl first. From the pictures of i've seen of Labute he might fall into the Bhm category himself. Maybe he masked himself as the women character and wrote the play from a pov of himself. Who knows...
He actually has a foreword in the main edition of the play in which he writes about losing weight after The Shape of Things. As he lost weight, he found that he lost his ability to write. He found himself looking in the mirror more and becoming an 'asshole.' In the end, he stopped the diet, gained it all back and then some and wrote Fat Pig.

So, yes, sort of a BHM.