Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
ksandru
"PHAT" Not "Fat", Got It?

ksandru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesksandru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Angry Another Icon for Real Sized Girls is Going Away

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl..._gam_mostemail

Yes, if you haven't heard, Dora the Explorer, is getting a makeover. She will no longer be that chubby little cutie (like real little girls). Mattel & Nickelodeon are turning her into yet another empty-headed Bratz-like character. Even though I have 2 boys, I am still angered & saddened at yet another way Madison Avenue is sexualizing young girls. Dora is a symbol for girls to love science, math & caring for others. This new image (Mattel hasn't shown her yet, only by sillouette) now has Dora living in the city instead of in nature. I am just saddened that yet again, girls are being fed this obsession of being glam thin and superficial.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

What the shit is the purpose of that change? Seriously.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
george83
DADDY IN A DRESS

george83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging in

What a load of shit!

They are just making here into another bratz type doll!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Dora was such a cute character!
=[
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
protuberance
Paul R.Nelson is a cunt.

protuberance does more than just post hot picsprotuberance does more than just post hot picsprotuberance does more than just post hot pics

This'll be a big failure and the old Dora'll be back.
protuberance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

They certainly are changing their view demographics by aging her. It's a preschool type show. My son likes Dora. He's liked it since he was able to watch tv. I think he'd lose interest in a grown up Dora.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Mathias
SAMCRO

Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.

That's ridiculous! What were they thinking?
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
They certainly are changing their view demographics by aging her. It's a preschool type show. My son likes Dora. He's liked it since he was able to watch tv. I think he'd lose interest in a grown up Dora.
I agree.

Also, kids are growing up wayyyy too fast these days. I don't think tweens would be interested in Dora.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Adamantoise
Adamantine Tortoise

Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Okay,this is just ludicrous-what on earth would be the point in doing this... *facepalm*
Adamantoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
ChubbyBubbles
Luke's Mommy

ChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm speechless! I have a 3 1/2 yo son who actually watches Dora, Diego and most of the Nick Jr. shows. Dora is/was so cute and does NOT need a makeover! What message is this giving to our YOUNG toddlers/children!? It makes me SICK!!
:happy:
*Coincidence is when God chooses to remain annonymous*
ChubbyBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Aurora1
curioser and curiouser

Aurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this board

OH for fucks sake...the Bratz dolls look like cheap hookers with too much makeup!!! I refuse to buy them for my 5 yr old. I haven't heard about the Dora makeover but what's next? The Backyardigans have to go to Weight Watchers??? Give me a damn break already with this weight obsession with children. The more you put it in their head the more likely they are to develop eating disorders as they get older. Self confidence is what these children shows should be learning about!!! Mommy's fat....mommy's skinny...doesn't matter...it's WHO we are and how we act that develops character. I'm more worried about instilling good morals in my child than how much she weighs!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Lisa Simpson has been 8 years old for going on 20 years now.Why do they feel like Dora needs to "grow up"?
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Why do they feel like Dora needs to "grow up"?

Becau$e it will allow them to $ell more $tuff. Children's programming does not exist for the benefit of children.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!

'real size' meaning....tiny cartoon size?
elle camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on

Kids aren't even going to think of this new 'thing' as Dora anymore..with how huge the redo on her character is. I mean...she used to be outdorsy, chunky, an adorable normal (cartoon) girl. Now they want to glam her up, stick her in the city and all of that? Why not just make an entirely different show and different character? You know...like Dora's cousin from the city or something.

I hate when they change things without need. Im so glad the article written isnt for the change.

"We know that if the original Dora grew up, she wouldn't be a fashion icon or a shopaholic," the online petition says. "She'd develop her map reading skills and imagine the places she could go. She'd capitalize on those problem-solving skills to design new ways to bring fresh water to communities in need around the world."
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
FaxMachine1234
you know it

FaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

They're not getting rid of the old Dora; this is a spin-off to appeal to older fans of the character who have grown up. Geez...
FaxMachine1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
They're not getting rid of the old Dora; this is a spin-off to appeal to older fans of the character who have grown up. Geez...
Let me just stick this here again...This is the thing that I do have a huge problem with. Dora would probably not be an 8 year old diva. It just butchers the whole thing. We have enough girly girls, fashionistas and such. I want the tomboy Dora!

"We know that if the original Dora grew up, she wouldn't be a fashion icon or a shopaholic," the online petition says. "She'd develop her map reading skills and imagine the places she could go. She'd capitalize on those problem-solving skills to design new ways to bring fresh water to communities in need around the world."
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #18
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is incredibly lame. It doesn't even really seem like Dora at all, more like using the name Dora and creating an entirely new show. Disappointing, to say the least.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Everyone knows Dora grew up to be Carmen San Diego. The interest in geography, the adventures for artifacts and all the educational content wrapped up in an innocent "fun" television show.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
FaxMachine1234
you know it

FaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisAK View Post
Let me just stick this here again...This is the thing that I do have a huge problem with. Dora would probably not be an 8 year old diva. It just butchers the whole thing. We have enough girly girls, fashionistas and such. I want the tomboy Dora!

I dunno, considering most of the girls I know are at least somewhat girly-girls with an interest in fashion (something I don't really consider a negative), the makers of Dora probably wanted to make sure the character stayed relevant; a tomboy eight year-old who still behaves like she's four isn't that relatable to younger tweens. Granted, I'm completely out of my element here, gender-wise...
FaxMachine1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
_overture
Throbbing Member

_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
In a bid to appeal to an older fan base, the companies behind Dora the Explorer, top, are creating a preteen fashion doll version.
Quote:
to appeal to girls ages 5 and up.
wow. that's just absolutely incredible. the thing is, this must have seemed like a good idea to at least someone.
_overture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #22
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
In a bid to appeal to an older fan base, the companies behind Dora the Explorer, top, are creating a preteen fashion doll version
Are you shittin' me?

If they have any idea about Dora they know she comes with her own adorable fashion!

Princess

Mermaid

As a Pre-K teacher that spends a lot of time watching Dora,(and yes I even consider her a learning tool) I'm disgusted with this
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Lisa Simpson has been 8 years old for going on 20 years now.Why do they feel like Dora needs to "grow up"?

The Simpsons is supposed to be an "adult" cartoon while Dora was created with young children in mind. I think all they are doing is having Dora grow up with the kids who made her so popular. The kid who was 4 and loved Dora and is now 10/11 will want to watch her. So they get both age groups because the younger Dora will still be seen in sindication.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Aurora1
curioser and curiouser

Aurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this boardAurora1 carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Bella View Post
The Simpsons is supposed to be an "adult" cartoon while Dora was created with young children in mind. I think all they are doing is having Dora grow up with the kids who made her so popular. The kid who was 4 and loved Dora and is now 10/11 will want to watch her. So they get both age groups because the younger Dora will still be seen in sindication.
Agreed! Well let's just hope they do it in a tasteful manner and don't slather her with eyemakeup and put halter tops and mini skirts on her like the Bratz dolls!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #25
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I saw a picture of the new Dora. She is wearing ballet flats. Lots of exploring of malls and flipping that long hair, as she and her best buds ride the escalators, giggling over the cute boys. Maybe the ghost of Isadora Duncan will visit her.

Blah. Fuck. Why the HELL can't ONE young female character not be messed with to this degree. I see that she has already been a Princess and a Mermaid. I can only imagine the prissy, immobilizing crap they can come up for this new version. Yay! Wearing four inch heels, while browsing Amazon.com.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote