Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #26
_overture
Throbbing Member

_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board_overture carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Wearing four inch heels, while browsing Amazon.com.
Well.... who doesn't, really?
_overture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
FaxMachine1234
you know it

FaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
I saw a picture of the new Dora. She is wearing ballet flats. Lots of exploring of malls and flipping that long hair, as she and her best buds ride the escalators, giggling over the cute boys. Maybe the ghost of Isadora Duncan will visit her.
long hair = shallow

liking boys = shallow

using escalators = shallow
FaxMachine1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
long hair = shallow

liking boys = shallow

using escalators = shallow

Yes, that is what I said. Exactly that. You got me, Ek.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #29
Mathias
SAMCRO

Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Leave her the way she is. The Rugrats grew up and look how that tuned out.
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #30
FaxMachine1234
you know it

FaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Yes, that is what I said. Exactly that. You got me, Ek.
Well if that's not what you were saying, I'm confused at what your point was. You were mocking the new Dora as being prissy and insinuated that she'd be doing all these things. The way you wrote it I don't see how the two could be disconnected.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Well if that's not what you were saying, I'm confused at what your point was. You were mocking the new Dora as being prissy and insinuated that she'd be doing all these things. The way you wrote it I don't see how the two could be disconnected.
I am not going to spoonfeed someone who responded to my initial post the way you did. You figure it out. It does not matter if you are a girl...or not. If you really wanted to understand...you would. And, no, this is not me running. Even these words are too many.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #32
FaxMachine1234
you know it

Quote:
I am not going to spoonfeed someone who responded to my initial post the way you did. You figure it out. It does not matter if you are a girl...or not. If you really wanted to understand...you would. And, no, this is not me running. Even these words are too many.
Okay, then I just think you're wrong. (hey, that was only seven words!)
Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #33
missdelish

missdelish has said some nice things

ok Ekim, I think I'm with you on this. Who says Dora can't be fashionable and still into geography and learning? We haven't really seen what they are going to do with the older girl version of Dora yet and if they are smart they will emphasize what made her great in the first place. I agree that there is a lot of reason to be suspicious of her "makeover" but just because a girl is "pretty" doesn't mean they can't be smart. Can't the chubby girls who like anthropology go to the mall with her friends, shop for clothes and *gasp* flirt with boys?
And the pics I've seen of her make her look like a normal healthy 10yr. old. she's not Bratz skinny or slutty.
missdelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #34
FaxMachine1234
you know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdelish View Post
ok Ekim, I think I'm with you on this. Who says Dora can't be fashionable and still into geography and learning? We haven't really seen what they are going to do with the older girl version of Dora yet and if they are smart they will emphasize what made her great in the first place. I agree that there is a lot of reason to be suspicious of her "makeover" but just because a girl is "pretty" doesn't mean they can't be smart. Can't the chubby girls who like anthropology go to the mall with her friends, shop for clothes and *gasp* flirt with boys?
And the pics I've seen of her make her look like a normal healthy 10yr. old. she's not Bratz skinny or slutty.
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying. All of those things are perfectly normal for girls that age, so why would it not be so for a cartoon character based on them? The original show was created to educate, so I'm mystified why people think the producers would throw that aspect out the window for this spin-off when they have no reason to (they'll sell the same amount of DVDs regardless). And yeah, she looks perfectly normal; she just dresses a little more stylish, which is appropriate for a girl her age.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #35
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdelish View Post
Can't the chubby girls who like anthropology go to the mall with her friends, shop for clothes and *gasp* flirt with boys?

Of course they can! Mind you, they're going to run into a lot of bulletproof peach polyester...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #36
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
That isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
pineapple cake

pineapple cake has said some nice things

i kind of wish dora kept her tomboyish cute not so girly girl ways..

:-P!
pineapple cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #38
sugarmoore
jiggles when she giggles

sugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

evry time i hear these kinds of thing i just wanna give up and move to compund somewhere without tv! there is no reason to change her appearance except to further spread an impossible standered for woman. not only are wse supposed to be intellegent, savvy, thin, rich, we have to be beautiful and popular as well. its not right to send a message to lil girls that you have to be perfect. i dont like it, and i dont subscribe to it.

Last edited by sugarmoore; 03-19-2009 at 11:07 AM.
sugarmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #39
FaxMachine1234
you know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmoore View Post
evry time i hear these kinds of thing i just wanna give up and move to compund somewhere without tv! there is no reason to change her appearance except to further spread an impossible standered for woman. not only are wse supposed to be intellegent, savvy, thin, rich, we have to be beautiful and popular as well. its not right to send a message to lil girls that you have to be perfect. i dont like it, and i dont subscribe to it.
But how is this new Dora "perfect"? Is it because she's wearing something other than a T-shirt and shorts and her hair's longer? Those are some pretty darn strict standards, there.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #40
Novelist

Novelist has said some nice things

To be honest, she still looks a little chubby to me in the actual picture. She's definitely not skinny. I'm relieved. I'm slender myself, but not because I particularly want to be or feel like I have to be.
Novelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #41
sugarmoore
jiggles when she giggles

sugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

desire is the root of all unhappyness. and taking the focus off of learning and aiming it tword fashion or being pretty creates desire, which creates unhealthy self image in lil girls. no tvs not perfect and yes other things create the same problem, im just saying dora was a good apple and now its tainted.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #42
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dora isn't going away. The title of this thread is wrong.
Maybe another article for some perspective might help with quick assumptions that end up being wrong.

Dora's Explorer Girls Statement

New York, NY—March 16, 2009—We at Nickelodeon and Mattel thank everyone for their devotion to Dora. In response to concerns raised regarding the recently announced older Dora doll, we wanted to clarify some details:

First, the award-winning preschool Dora character that audiences know and love is not changing at all. Nickelodeon will continue to feature the Dora the Explorer preschool TV show as it exists today, and Fisher-Price will continue with its award-winning collection of toys inspired by the original character. In the nine years she has been on television, Dora has become an important role model to many. The Latina heroine has connected with a generation of young boys and girls all around the world through her courageousness and sense of adventure. We at Nickelodeon and Mattel want to assure parents that none of that is changing.

Nickelodeon and Mattel are introducing a new line of dolls this fall called Dora's Explorer Girls, an online licensed brand that revolutionizes the way girls play by empowering them to influence and change the lives of Dora and her new friends. We took the core DNA of Dora—the love of adventure and learning, the empowerment and self-esteem—and applied that to a doll that matches play patterns of girls ages 5-8. This version of Dora--which is approximately modeled after a nine- or ten-year-old--is an age-appropriate doll that lets girls continue to learn and grow with the character--after they've moved beyond their own preschool years.

There are many preschool doll choices, but few age-appropriate dolls for girls 5-8. The new Dora's Explorer Girls doll line, featuring a new, slightly older Dora (dressed in a flowered tunic, leggings and sandals), is an exciting extension of the established and continuing brand. It is designed to address the requests of moms asking for a way that the character can grow and engage with their children as those kids get a little older. The reason for creating this new Dora line is to offer an alternative to moms who want their daughters to stay little girls, a little longer.

The sense of adventure that is such a core part of Dora the Explorer continues in this new line. With Dora's Explorer Girls, Dora brings her four new girlfriends together to make a difference in their community. Whether they're organizing a beach clean-up, volunteering at Abuela's senior center, or running the city's first Green Day, the Explorer Girls share one mission: "ÁMejor es mejor!"-- "Let's make our city a better place!"

*MORE*

Dora's adventures also will expand into the world of solving mysteries that have overt and relatable pro-social themes--like volunteerism, water conservation or planting trees to help the environment--all developed to inspire children to apply the same lessons in their own lives. The accompanying Dora's Explorer Girls' web site also will feature Spanish words and phrases throughout the play experience, including the mystery storylines.

The interaction starts when girls plug the doll in the computer (via USB) to access her online world, where they can help Dora and her friends solve the mysteries through engaging game play. In developing the storylines for the mysteries, the game play is designed to empower girls to affect change in Dora's world and, in turn, inspire them to affect change in their own worlds. Some of the mysteries' storylines will include a school book drive, a park clean-up day, an auction to help defend the dolphins, a talent show to raise money for musical instruments for school, a rainforest charity concert, and more.

The absolute intention with Dora's Explorer Girls is to make an age-appropriate doll for girls 5-8 that is infused with all the empowering attributes that make Dora such a global and groundbreaking phenomenon. Nickelodeon and Mattel are very proud of Dora the Explorer, a character honored with prestigious awards like the Peabody, the NAACP Image Award and numerous Emmy nominations; and we will continue to empower kids with positive images and role models like Dora, in all her incarnations.

Hmmmmm......volunteer work, conservation and Spanish lessons.
That doesn't sound too bad does it? It doesn't sound like your average trip to the mall. I know it is easy to jump the gun and get all riled up over rumor and one article, but it doesn't do much good does it?
This ain't Hyde Park is it?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #43
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

Sounds like they're at least trying to keep the essence of the original character.

Maybe they can evolve her further by creating an adult Dora that becomes an international aid worker that travels through the developing world and works to solve issues like child labor.

Now that would be an interesting balance to the other characters that are heavily into fashion, material things etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
Dora isn't going away. The title of this thread is wrong.
Maybe another article for some perspective might help with quick assumptions that end up being wrong.

Dora's Explorer Girls Statement

New York, NY—March 16, 2009—We at Nickelodeon and Mattel thank everyone for their devotion to Dora. In response to concerns raised regarding the recently announced older Dora doll, we wanted to clarify some details:

First, the award-winning preschool Dora character that audiences know and love is not changing at all. Nickelodeon will continue to feature the Dora the Explorer preschool TV show as it exists today, and Fisher-Price will continue with its award-winning collection of toys inspired by the original character. In the nine years she has been on television, Dora has become an important role model to many. The Latina heroine has connected with a generation of young boys and girls all around the world through her courageousness and sense of adventure. We at Nickelodeon and Mattel want to assure parents that none of that is changing.

Nickelodeon and Mattel are introducing a new line of dolls this fall called Dora's Explorer Girls, an online licensed brand that revolutionizes the way girls play by empowering them to influence and change the lives of Dora and her new friends. We took the core DNA of Dora—the love of adventure and learning, the empowerment and self-esteem—and applied that to a doll that matches play patterns of girls ages 5-8. This version of Dora--which is approximately modeled after a nine- or ten-year-old--is an age-appropriate doll that lets girls continue to learn and grow with the character--after they've moved beyond their own preschool years.

There are many preschool doll choices, but few age-appropriate dolls for girls 5-8. The new Dora's Explorer Girls doll line, featuring a new, slightly older Dora (dressed in a flowered tunic, leggings and sandals), is an exciting extension of the established and continuing brand. It is designed to address the requests of moms asking for a way that the character can grow and engage with their children as those kids get a little older. The reason for creating this new Dora line is to offer an alternative to moms who want their daughters to stay little girls, a little longer.

The sense of adventure that is such a core part of Dora the Explorer continues in this new line. With Dora's Explorer Girls, Dora brings her four new girlfriends together to make a difference in their community. Whether they're organizing a beach clean-up, volunteering at Abuela's senior center, or running the city's first Green Day, the Explorer Girls share one mission: "ÁMejor es mejor!"-- "Let's make our city a better place!"

*MORE*

Dora's adventures also will expand into the world of solving mysteries that have overt and relatable pro-social themes--like volunteerism, water conservation or planting trees to help the environment--all developed to inspire children to apply the same lessons in their own lives. The accompanying Dora's Explorer Girls' web site also will feature Spanish words and phrases throughout the play experience, including the mystery storylines.

The interaction starts when girls plug the doll in the computer (via USB) to access her online world, where they can help Dora and her friends solve the mysteries through engaging game play. In developing the storylines for the mysteries, the game play is designed to empower girls to affect change in Dora's world and, in turn, inspire them to affect change in their own worlds. Some of the mysteries' storylines will include a school book drive, a park clean-up day, an auction to help defend the dolphins, a talent show to raise money for musical instruments for school, a rainforest charity concert, and more.

The absolute intention with Dora's Explorer Girls is to make an age-appropriate doll for girls 5-8 that is infused with all the empowering attributes that make Dora such a global and groundbreaking phenomenon. Nickelodeon and Mattel are very proud of Dora the Explorer, a character honored with prestigious awards like the Peabody, the NAACP Image Award and numerous Emmy nominations; and we will continue to empower kids with positive images and role models like Dora, in all her incarnations.

Hmmmmm......volunteer work, conservation and Spanish lessons.
That doesn't sound too bad does it? It doesn't sound like your average trip to the mall. I know it is easy to jump the gun and get all riled up over rumor and one article, but it doesn't do much good does it?
This ain't Hyde Park is it?
Blackhawk2293 is offline   Reply With Quote