Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default bubble tea

Someone posted something about bubble tea in the Chinese Food thread, and it reminded me of something I've meant to ask: Is it okay for a man in his late 30s to buy and drink this stuff? I'm addicted, and in warmer months I hit Chinatown 1-3 times a week on my way home to get some. However the only people I ever see drinking/eating it are kids - teens and tweens. Not even people in their early 20s. Plus the shop I like to buy it at is staffed by cute little girls with cock-eyed pink baseball caps, making me feel like Michael Jackson casing out Chuck E. Cheese. This is a totally serious question.

For those who don't know, Bubble Tea is iced tea in various flavors, sometimes with milk, to which they add a bunch of marble-sized tapioca balls. You drink it through a fat straw and chew on the little balls. Okay, that came out wrong, but you get my drift. It's an acquired taste (or rather texture) for some, but I love it. Black Bubble Milk Tea is my favorite way to cap off a Sunday morning dim sum binge.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres huevos View Post
Someone posted something about bubble tea in the Chinese Food thread, and it reminded me of something I've meant to ask: Is it okay for a man in his late 30s to buy and drink this stuff? I'm addicted, and in warmer months I hit Chinatown 1-3 times a week on my way home to get some. However the only people I ever see drinking/eating it are kids - teens and tweens. Not even people in their early 20s. Plus the shop I like to buy it at is staffed by cute little girls with cock-eyed pink baseball caps, making me feel like Michael Jackson casing out Chuck E. Cheese. This is a totally serious question.

For those who don't know, Bubble Tea is iced tea in various flavors, sometimes with milk, to which they add a bunch of marble-sized tapioca balls. You drink it through a fat straw and chew on the little balls. Okay, that came out wrong, but you get my drift. It's an acquired taste (or rather texture) for some, but I love it. Black Bubble Milk Tea is my favorite way to cap off a Sunday morning dim sum binge.
There was a bubble tea thread on this board a year or two back, im sure. I love banana flavoured nesquik, and Kinder Happy Hippos. I would never stop having them just because its mainly under 10 yr olds t hat consume them, so... why stop your bubble tea!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Someone posted something about bubble tea in the Chinese Food thread, and it reminded me of something I've meant to ask: Is it okay for a man in his late 30s to buy and drink this stuff?
If you like it, and it is (1) legal, and (2) does not physically harm you or any other person, then, yes, it is okay for you to indulge, as long as you are discreet about it. And at no extra cost, I hereby give you a dispensation to chew bubblegum and collect Pokemon cards. You are only young once, but you can make it last a long time.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I would never let my age stop me from enjoying a food that I liked. Of course, I am a 45 yr old woman who squeals with delight if I am given ANYTHING Hello Kitty. (note: not a food, a character that has millions of products with her likeness).
Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Maybe it would be more mature to get it without the boba, but it wouldn't be as fun!

By the way, favorite combos are black tea/almond milk and honey dew. I try to frequent places that don't use powdered bases. I know it's a sweet drink, but there's a funky aftertaste with the drinks made with a powder.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

I love bubble tea, and I seek it out in my travels. I like cantalope. My daughter goes to UMass, and it occurs to me that Northhampton would be an ideal location for an anime based bubble tea shop. Yes some have libraries of manga and Japanese anime on the screen constantly.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
Maybe it would be more mature to get it without the boba, but it wouldn't be as fun!
Definitely not as fun, and you've still got the big cup and giant pink or purple straw that gives up the whole thing so at that point why bother, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
By the way, favorite combos are black tea/almond milk and honey dew. I try to frequent places that don't use powdered bases. I know it's a sweet drink, but there's a funky aftertaste with the drinks made with a powder.
That sounds really good - I can't remember if the place I like has almond milk or not. But yeah, I've had bubble tea at a few places and they're not all created equal. Can't remember the name of the place where I go - I know it by sight - but it's on Bayard Street. The place is very modern and pop-art looking, and they have the aforementioned cute little pixie girl clerks, and this machine they put the cups on that seals the top with a piece of clear plastic (that you later puncture with the straw) and turns it upside down and shakes it. It's like a quick $4 trip to Hong Kong Disney World.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
altered states
seņor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50 View Post
I love bubble tea, and I seek it out in my travels. I like cantalope. My daughter goes to UMass, and it occurs to me that Northhampton would be an ideal location for an anime based bubble tea shop. Yes some have libraries of manga and Japanese anime on the screen constantly.
Northampton is a perfect candidate. Any college town. The black tea version I drink definitely has a kick, which the kids with their red bull and red eyes will dig.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
altered states
seņor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
I would never let my age stop me from enjoying a food that I liked. Of course, I am a 45 yr old woman who squeals with delight if I am given ANYTHING Hello Kitty. (note: not a food, a character that has millions of products with her likeness).
Well yeah, women can get away with this kind of thing, for whatever reason. Me, I'm waiting for Chris Hanson to pop up with a camera as soon as I exit the shop.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Well yeah, women can get away with this kind of thing, for whatever reason. Me, I'm waiting for Chris Hanson to pop up with a camera as soon as I exit the shop.
Bubble tea entrapment. I can see the headlines now.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
altered states
seņor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Bubble tea entrapment. I can see the headlines now.
It'll be Exhibit A when they pop me for having Larry Clark and Sally Mann books in my collection.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticed

I love bubble tea and it never once occurred to me that it could be seen as immature or girly. I was first exposed to it in my neighborhood of Jackson Heights which is ethnically diverse. It was just one of many delicious ethnic treats that I enjoyed. It does seem to be primarily a young person's drink back in it's native Taiwan, but if its acceptable for adults to eat ice cream cones and candy bars in America, bubble tea should be no reason for embarrassment.
Judge_Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
altered states
seņor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Dre View Post
I love bubble tea and it never once occurred to me that it could be seen as immature or girly. I was first exposed to it in my neighborhood of Jackson Heights which is ethnically diverse. It was just one of many delicious ethnic treats that I enjoyed. It does seem to be primarily a young person's drink back in it's native Taiwan, but if its acceptable for adults to eat ice cream cones and candy bars in America, bubble tea should be no reason for embarrassment.
It didn't occur to me til I'd been drinking it for a while, when I started to notice that I was the only person over 18 drinking it. Do you see adults drinking it in Jackson Heights? I don't eat candy bars, but admit I feel a little odd with an ice cream cone sometimes, if I'm alone. It doesn't stop me though, nor will it with bubble tea!