Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
bigirlover

bigirlover can now change their title
Default How do BBW's think weight effected their pregnancy?

My girfriend and I just found out that she's pregnant! She's a just over 300lb BBW and we've started to research the different aspects of being overweight and pregnant, boy some of the stuff we've read is scary! So, we thought we'd like to hear the feedback of "real life" cases rather than things we've just read...

We've read that underweight birth is a major concern as well as stillbirth. Has this been the case for most pregnant BBW's?

Did you experience any complications related to your weight? For either you or your child?

How much weight did you gain?

Were you able to deliver naturally?

ALL feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
bigirlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

1) Congrats! Its the ride of life

2) There have been previous threads on this. I'm putting in a link to one thread, in which you'll find more links. Those should give you a good starting point. http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ight=pregnancy

3) There are lots of Moms around Dimensions who got pregnant at 300 pounds or more. There may be certain elevated risks, but the odds are good for a healthy child, so don't get too freaked.

4) I strongly suggest NOT making "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" the first pregnancy book that either of you read. It should be called "What to Fret about....." It can be a fine reference, but I'd start with something else, like "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregancy."

5) Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
itsbrookebaby_xo
Adjusting to mommyhood

itsbrookebaby_xo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesitsbrookebaby_xo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirlover View Post
My girfriend and I just found out that she's pregnant! She's a just over 300lb BBW and we've started to research the different aspects of being overweight and pregnant, boy some of the stuff we've read is scary! So, we thought we'd like to hear the feedback of "real life" cases rather than things we've just read...

We've read that underweight birth is a major concern as well as stillbirth. Has this been the case for most pregnant BBW's?

Did you experience any complications related to your weight? For either you or your child?

How much weight did you gain?

Were you able to deliver naturally?

ALL feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

Congratulations!

although i haven't had any kids yet, im 6 1/2 months pregnant and i can say for myself that so far everything has been great! No complications, and my little girl is super healthy, and weighs what shes supposed to.

as for how much weight I've gained, i was 260ish when i first found out i pregnant and now im around 275. My midwife said that as long as i gain 15 lbs, ill be fine & thats what they suggest for overweight women, for the "normal" women they say gaining 30 lbs is healthy. everyone is different

as far as the delivery aspect, i haven't delivered yet obviously, lol but the doctors keep telling me that ill be able to deliver naturally with no problem.

so again congratulations, and good luck
hope i helped ease some of your worries
itsbrookebaby_xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am 6 months pregnant and my current weight is about 308lbs. I have lost over 30lbs since getting pregnant, initially because I had no appetite. But more recently no one seems to know why I have lost so much, it seems to just be a fluke!

As for the pregnancy itself, I think it has been easier because of my weight, truly I do. I haven't had to make many accomodations or had a bigger shape to get used to, I can still wear my normal clothes, still swim and dance like I did. Blood pressure has not gone up one bit, my skin has cleared up, my nails and hair are growing like crazy and my protein and glucose tests all perfectly normal.

Baby is healthy, infact she looks to be quite tall! The scans were amazingly clear, and everything has been peachy so far!!

Hopefully it will continue to be a good pregnancy but I am keeping Dims updated anyways so feel free to ask any questions!

Congrats to you both and to you Brooke as well, I am also having a little girl!!

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Congratulations to you and your girlfriend!

When I got pregnant with my daughter (she's 16 now) I was 300 lbs. The doctor said they only wanted me to gain 15 lbs. because of my size to begin with. That seemed a bit impossible to me since even if I gained nothing but 'baby and amniotic fluid weight' etc it seemed like it would be more than 15 lbs. so I just nodded my head in a kind of 'ok, whatever' nod. I had morning sickness and didn't even gain a pound until my 5th month of pregnancy. All total I gained about 30-35 lbs. (10 of which at the very end I think was water weight) and every single ounce of it came off when I had the baby. So I guess I needed all those pounds for a healthy baby. My daughter was over 9 lbs. by the way.
My pregnancy itself went fine with only the usual complaints. Morning sickness, swollen ankles, that kind of thing. And like Bexy said, I was already big so I actually just wore my regular clothes throughout my whole pregnancy.
I delivered my daughter naturally, just like I did with her brother 4 years earlier.
The only thing that I can say bad is that my blood pressure went way up when I was in labor and they were worried about that. It was fine all throughout my pregnancy though. The same thing happened when I delivered my son. But, think about it, I was in LABOR, a highly stressful situation, of course my blood pressure is going to go up! lol It was fine after I delivered though.
When I had my son 4 years earlier I was 'thinner' after having lost a lot of weight. I had been on a diet and then gotten sick. When I got pregnant I suddenly felt better and made up for lost time with the eating. I think I started out at about 220 and gained about 75 lbs. Yikes! That was not all baby weight. lol I lost about 30 or so pounds after my son was born. My pregnancy with him was even smoother than with my daughter. No morning sickness that lasts 9 months.
I was 21 when I had my son and 25 when my daughter was born so I was younger and able to bounce back better as well.
Hope this helps!

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I had a baby 6 months ago. I was 260 when I found out and 320 on the day I delivered. 60 pound gain! (If it matters to her I lost 30 lbs within two weeks of delivery and am slowly and surely losing the rest.)

I had NO COMPLICATIONS!!! Normal pregnancy, normal labor and normal delivery(no epidural by choice). Don't let them scare you. The one possible weight related issue I experienced was the ultrasound tech had to work a little harder to get some readings. The big 16 week check took almost 2 hours. That was pretty annoying and uncomfortable.

The only thing I would watch out for is a predisposition to diabetes and high blood pressure that might show during the 2nd trimester(that is for fat and skinny people alike).

Please post updates. Congratulations and have a happy healthy nine months!

Last edited by toni; 03-29-2009 at 12:12 AM.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

4 kids 5 year span. was over 300 lb with all of them. Gained around 30 lb with all and lost baby weight pretty fast. 8 lb, 8lb, 9.5 lb and 6.7 lb respectively were the birth weights of the kids. Only reason the last one was so small was he was TWO MONTHS EARLY!. I would hate to see what he would have weighed full term. Only reason he was early was because there was only 11 months and a few days between him and his brother so my uterus had not healed enough. All my kids were C sections because my pelvic bones refuse to open up to allow a natural delivery. No problems with pregnancy, none with delivery of the kids. Fat chicks can be fat and healthy while pregnant with no adverse reaction to the baby, the doctors just don't want to admit it.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I had a baby 8 months ago and was 340 when i found out. I gained a TON of weight during my pregnancy. I had a lot of hip pain thanks to sciatica so i wasn't as mobile as usual. My doc was supportive and way cool about the gain though.
My little boy was born free of any complications at a healthy 6lbs 8oz. I didn't have morning sickness just a lot of fatigue and hip pain. All normal.
I did have a boy 5 years earlier born with some defects. None of which had to do with my weight. He was born with a short statured issue and Pierre Robin (cleft palate and small jaw).
I was followed very closely my second pregnancy because of these complications with my older boy but the high risk docs cut me loose because everything was textbook perfect.

I'd say the best thing to do is stay off the scary internet! Join some supportive online clubs that have other plus size moms. It's a great bonding thing and info exchange that's positive. I wish you guys a very easy pregnancy
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Woohoo, congratulations! How exciting, becoming a parent.

I look at this as both a patient (I was over 200 with all my pregnancies) and a L&D/Mom Baby nurse. As a pregnant mom I had three healthy pregnancies, had all my kids at term, and they were good sized -- not too big or too small. I had some preterm contractions with my son but ended up having to be induced so I don't think I was in any danger of delivering early. With my first daughter I had hypertension and swelling, but I was under a lot of emotional stress so I think that had more to do with it than my size, especially since when I had my youngest I was bigger. I ended up having all my kids a few days late, and did just great. I had my youngest at home with two midwives, something you have to be low risk to be eligible for. It was GREAT!

As a nurse, it does seem like the women I care for who are bigger are more likely to be hypertensive and/or have gestational diabetes. That being said, both of those pregnancy complications are very appropriately handled with medications, bedrest and dietary changes. There are way worse complications that are harder to treat, and while these complications do probably lead to more inductions which lead to more cesareans, they're by no means a terrifying ordeal (or shouldn't be).

The best advice I can give is to find a provider (OB, Midwife, whatever feels best to her) that you feel will be a partner in her care, not an autocrat. Being honest about weight and what problems it can cause is important, but it's also important to focus on the other things that are crucial in having a healthy baby -- eating well, exercise, handling stress well, vitamins, things like that. It's a fine line we walk between being aware of the health problems associated with weight without having them the focus of the pregnancy. Even among the docs and midwives I work with I see a huge difference between practitioners, so knowing their point of view and what they anticipate for the pregnancy is important.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Big Butt Asshley
Big Booty & A Smile

Big Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going on

Congrats!!!

I only gained 12 pounds during my pregnancy. I ended up going on maternity leave about a month earlier then I had planned because my blood pressure was on the high side BUT it was NOT because of my weight, it was because of my BITCH boss. Once I was home my pressure went back to normal, go figure. I had a normal labor and delivery. I opted for the epidural and didn't have any issues with that either. My son was 7lbs 12oz. and 21 inches.

I stayed home from work for 6 months after my son was born and gained 60lbs...go figure!

Best of luck!!
Big Butt Asshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
PrettyLife

PrettyLife can now change their title

I was around 280 when I had my daughter two years ago and I had a wonderful pregnancy. No complications at all. Blood pressure was great as were my sugar levels. (Birth was a different story but I think that had a lot to do with the hospital bias against fat women) Anyway, I just found out that I am expecting baby #2 and I found a great site for information for pregnant women and they even have a seperate board for plus sized pregnancies. http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboa...splay.php?f=73 Good luck and enjoy the experience.
PrettyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have to second what Missaf said. I had a horridly anti-fat doctor my first pregnancy and he was saying very early on that i'd be lucky to carry my son to 27 weeks. He induced me at 39 weeks. (i'm still angry about that one) I wound up with a c-section.
My second pregnancy, i had a bbw doctor and she was AWESOME! like night and day experience.
I always had high bp at the doctors office my first pregnancy but normal away from him. Second pregnancy i had textbook perfect BP while at my better doc's office.
It doesnt hurt to shop around for someone who won't berate you for being fat and pregnant. I wish i had done that my first pregnancy.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
bigirlover

Thank you to everyone who responded. Sorry its taken me a while to post, things have been a little busy around here. We are about to start to look for a doctor and agree it would be better to put her weight out into the open and find a doctor that is pro pregnancy in bbws. It seems from all accounts that will make things much easier on the both of us. We have also calmed down quite a bit in our fears after reading everyone's stories and advice and having had a little time to digest the pregnancy itself. She is in week 7 and things are pretty smooth and normal ( from what we can gather ) A little morning sickness, one terrifying night of 24 hours of continuous throwing up ( which hasn't happened since thank goodness ) The only thing that has us a little baffled is the growing rate of her belly. There is a definite difference! She has been in a fair amount of pain from it, says it feels like the muscles are really stretching, at the top and upper sides and lower sides of her belly. Having some trouble getting comfortable, but is otherwise doing ok. ( personally I think its twins!!!!! ) just a gut feeling, they don't run in either of our families but something tells me this could be a first. Has anyone else experienced a rapid growth so quickly on? We took a few pictures last night that I will post. Thank you all so much again for all the advice and kind words. We are super excited and cant wait to see our little tic tac. ( her word not mine, lol )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0013.JPG (33.5 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0018.JPG (36.3 KB, 715 views)
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

bigirlover, totally adorable!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
collared Princess

collared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticed

I was 430 pounds 13 yrs ago when I had my son..I gained 20 pounds..he had to be delived c section because he was breech
I was 520 pounds when I had my daughter 2 yrs ago..I gained 20 pounds as well..she had to be delived c section because of the c section cut with my son 13 yrs ago..let me know if you have any question .Ill help as much as I can
collared Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just so you know, the days of "once a cesarean, always a cesarean" are over. ACOG has certain requirements for VBAC's but it's by no means a foregone conclusion that once you have one you have to have another. If you have a low transverse incision (internally), then you may be a good candidate.

Heck, even Michelle Duggert, she who's had 18 babies has had numerous VBAC's after at least two cesarean sections.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Just so you know, the days of "once a cesarean, always a cesarean" are over. ACOG has certain requirements for VBAC's but it's by no means a foregone conclusion that once you have one you have to have another. If you have a low transverse incision (internally), then you may be a good candidate.

Heck, even Michelle Duggert, she who's had 18 babies has had numerous VBAC's after at least two cesarean sections.
hey smart girl, lol, i dont even know all your abbreviations, maybe you could spell it out for the rest of us??

hugs

Medical advisor to the Mayor of Fatopia :)
SocialbFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
collared Princess

collared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticedcollared Princess never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post

not if you have had a classical c section to begin with..the up and down kind..you wont ever have a vaginal birth afterwards..thats what kind of c section I had
collared Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Nowhere NEAR Vickie level smart but...

ACOG= American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. It's the governing body for OB/GYN doctors.

VBAC= Vaginal Birth after Cesarian.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
Miss Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialbFly View Post
hey smart girl, lol, i dont even know all your abbreviations, maybe you could spell it out for the rest of us??

hugs
Bwah! Sorry! I'm not smart. Just... steeped in my jargon. I forget that those aren't terms that everyone knows.

Here's a couple more:

LTCS - low transverse cesarean section, the side to side "bikini cut".
Vertical incision -- up and down incision

Quote:
Originally Posted by collared Princess View Post
not if you have had a classical c section to begin with..the up and down kind..you wont ever have a vaginal birth afterwards..thats what kind of c section I had
True. That's what I said, though. If you have a low transverse incision, you can -- often -- have a VBAC. However, it bears keeping in mind that whatever kind of skin incision a woman has doesn't always translate to what's inside. Especially in fat women, where they often do vertical incisions externally so as not to go under the pannus, which is hard to manage during the procedure and hard to heal afterward. We have a couple of docs who always do verticals on fat women, and I'm always sure to tell the women, if they've had transverse uterine incisions to be sure and keep their op report and talk to their future docs if they want a VBAC.

It's unusual to do a vertical incision for a breech unless the baby was in severe distress and had to get out... like... now. Most of the time when we perform cesareans for breech, it's not an emergency so the doctors will do a low transverse because it is much much much safer than a classical incision. Even if a woman never labors, the uterine incision can be stressed and rupture. A classical incision is in a lot more danger of doing this, which is why the whole "oh, cesareans are no big deal" thing really chaps my ass. I've seen some really catastrophic shit resulting from cesareans so it is a HUUUUGE deal. Definitely, cesareans are great when necessary but there are a lot of elective ones being done which concerns me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post
ACOG= American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. It's the governing body for OB/GYN doctors.

VBAC= Vaginal Birth after Cesarian.
Thank you. But I disagree about the "smart" thing.

My point was just this, and it was a general point:

Just because a woman has had a cesarean does not mean she cannot have a vaginal birth with her next pregnancy. I wrote this because not all women realize that they have that option, and have cesarean after cesarean, which IS risky. I think it's particularly relevant to fat women because we already have a higher risk of cesareans (unnecessarily so, I think), and are already treated as high risk pregnancies because of our weight. So I just wanted to empower those women out there to avoid cesareans if they can (because there IS risk), and if they do have one, to know that may be able to have a vaginal cesarean later.

Okay, done now. Back to your regularly scheduled belly pics.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I was heartbroken i couldn't do a VBAC. I had the bikini kind too The nearest hospital that allows them here is 90 miles away. Can you imagine driving 90 miles while in labor?! eck.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am going to question my doctor and hospital this week about having a homebirth. I am scared my weight is going to be brought up as a factor against this, but I am prepared for it! My pregnancy has NOT been classed has high risk, I am not under a consultant and am having shared care, only allowed with low risk cases. So if they tell me my weight means I can't have a homebirth, I won't be giving up without a fight!

So here's hoping it goes well!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
bigirlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
bigirlover, totally adorable!
Well, thank you.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #24
Miss Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy View Post
I am going to question my doctor and hospital this week about having a homebirth. I am scared my weight is going to be brought up as a factor against this, but I am prepared for it! My pregnancy has NOT been classed has high risk, I am not under a consultant and am having shared care, only allowed with low risk cases. So if they tell me my weight means I can't have a homebirth, I won't be giving up without a fight!

So here's hoping it goes well!
Hey cutie. Did you know that I had my youngest at home with midwives? Now granted, it was here in the US, but if anything we're LESS accepting of home birth here. Definitely talk to your doc and see what they say. And if they say no, let me know. I have a friend who's deeply involved in the home birth movement in the UK; she may be able to help.

Being big puts you at higher risk, possibly, for some pregnancy complications. However, it shouldn't complicate the birth itself. As long as your healthy -- with good sugar control, no hypertension, stuff like that -- your weight shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
bexy
is red again <3

Well they didn't like that idea lol! They are very against me having a homebirth, because of the lack of staff and because it is my first baby. NOTHING to do with my weight, in fact they don't even mention it! I am the one who brings it up and they look at me like I have 2 heads...they just don't seem to view it as an issue so thats good.
Going to look into the homebirth thing more and will update soon!
They measured baby and she is coming in at 4lbs at the mo, which seems like a very good size!
I am going to be 29 weeks on Friday!