Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

6 days a week I do 60 minutes on the elliptical, 60 minutes of water aerobics and sit in the sauna for 30 min before going home. The other 1 day I do 60 min on the elliptical, 30 min on the bike, 30 min on the treadmill and 30 min in the sauna. I need to get some weight training in there but those damn machines intimidate me.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #27
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ella Bella,

If you want to try weights...maybe see if you can get at least one session with a trainer? (sometimes gyms will give you one freebie) That's what I did to get myself going, and I found I really love it.

Last night I did 40 minutes of weights, and 10 minutes on a new type of cardio machine...I don't know what it was but it kicked my ass. Sort of an elliptical, but the action was more of stair climbing than the regular walking sort.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
Ella Bella,

If you want to try weights...maybe see if you can get at least one session with a trainer? (sometimes gyms will give you one freebie) That's what I did to get myself going, and I found I really love it.

Last night I did 40 minutes of weights, and 10 minutes on a new type of cardio machine...I don't know what it was but it kicked my ass. Sort of an elliptical, but the action was more of stair climbing than the regular walking sort.
Thanks I'll try that! I know which machine you are talking about, I've tried it a couple of times but it feels so awkward to me that I end up getting off of it just a few minutes after starting.

We have this stair climbing machine at the gym that I plan on using soon. It looks like its actually stairs that move. Only thing is that the bottom stair disappears! I can just see myself not being able to do it fast enough and falling right off when the bottom one goes under.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #29
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That machine scares me. I've been eyeballing it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #30
Actor4hire

Actor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot pics

Glad everyone is doing some excercise!!

50 minutes on the ellipitcal today.

(45 minute kickboxing class yesterday)

Peaches, the elliptical is a very easy, smooth machine to use. It is great for anybody who may have knee troubles, due to the non impact of the machine. Stair climbers can be very hard on the knees, hips and back.

Keep up the good work everybody!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Actor4hire

Actor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot picsActor4hire does more than just post hot pics

Im bummed because it's raining and I am supposed to go on a hike tomorrow. It doesn't help that I just ate a package of Keebler Peanut Butter Stix!! LOL! Damn they were good & on sale for $1.00!!! Hopefully it will be dry in the AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm pretty much in awe of how much exercise some of you are doing!! Just fantastic!.Lately, I've been working out to one of Lesley Sansone's walking dvds and even though I've only been doing it for a bit less than two weeks, I already feel the difference in my level of fitness.I feel so much better physically and mentally it's unreal. I can only currently do about 11,12 minutes of the dvd at a clip but I'm faithfully plugging along and in time I know I'll be able to do more. I felt it was important that I post in this thread, because I wanted to represent those of us who aren't in the greatest shape physically and are slowly and I do mean sloooooowly working our way towards getting in better condition.There's no shame in having to start a fitness program off with lighter exercise and with movement *anything* is better than nothing.Keep moving!

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
Actor4hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistful View Post
I'm pretty much in awe of how much exercise some of you are doing!! Just fantastic!.Lately, I've been working out to one of Lesley Sansone's walking dvds and even though I've only been doing it for a bit less than two weeks, I already feel the difference in my level of fitness.I feel so much better physically and mentally it's unreal. I can only currently do about 11,12 minutes of the dvd at a clip but I'm faithfully plugging along and in time I know I'll be able to do more. I felt it was important that I post in this thread, because I wanted to represent those of us who aren't in the greatest shape physically and are slowly and I do mean sloooooowly working our way towards getting in better condition.There's no shame in having to start a fitness program off with lighter exercise and with movement *anything* is better than nothing.Keep moving!

The most important thing is that you are putting actions to your thoughts. Keep doing what your doing! 5 minutes becomes 10 minutes and 10 minutes becomes 20, etc... Everybody on this thread is rocking the house!! Keep it up team!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #34
lypeaches

Wistful...I have that same DVD, and trust me, if you can finish the Miracle Mile you're doing great! I still do it on occasion when I can't get to the gym, and it's still not "easy" for me.

Actor4hire...I love the regular elliptical, but this new one I tried had different motion to it, like climbing stairs.

PS to wistful...I'm so with you on feeling better. I first started exercising to deal with anxiety, and it has been the BEST medicine ever. No more panic attacks, no more depression, and no more meds.

Last edited by lypeaches; 05-02-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #35
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
Dayum! Ya'll are all hardcore!

At least compared to my lil stuff, but I'll share anyway.

3 days a week I do an hour and a half of bellydance at an intermediate level

And the other 2 I practive Vanyasa and Hatha yoga.

The other two days I'm still active (living Chicago forces me to be); walking to and from the subway, etc.

And I'll be taking up pole dancing next month! Woot! I'm gettin' my big ass up on a pole and droppin' it like it's hot if it kills me!
Ashmamma, I think what you do is way cool! The most important thing is that you do something you like!!! I wish my gym had classes like those!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistful View Post
I can only currently do about 11,12 minutes of the dvd at a clip but I'm faithfully plugging along and in time I know I'll be able to do more. I felt it was important that I post in this thread, because I wanted to represent those of us who aren't in the greatest shape physically and are slowly and I do mean sloooooowly working our way towards getting in better condition.
Word; I am the poster girl for this! I hope I haven't given anyone the impression that I'm buff or anything, because that is absurdly far from being the case. A few months ago I was in such pain because of my knee arthritis and back issues that I could not walk without a cane. The slightest bit of activity was excrutiatingly painful. Now I'm doing great - the cane is a distant memory, I'm practically pain-free, and I can't wait to go swimming every day, but it all started with teeny little painful, exhausting baby steps. And the bottom line is, any movement and exercise is good for us, so focusing on numbers or time or whatever should really only be meaningful to the person mentioning it, as a token of his/her progress. Know what I mean, jellybean? Anyone who is making any effort at all to get even a little bit of exercise belongs in this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #37
lypeaches

Absolutely. FWIW, it's taken me about 2 years to get to where I am now, and I still have a long way to go. First year I just did swimming pretty much, and in this last year I slowly started adding in weights and cardio. First time I did treadmill I was good for only 10 minutes, at a slow pace... and the elliptical, first time, 5 minutes nearly killed me. But just keep at it, and things WILL improve.

Just got back from the gym:
45 minutes weights
25 minutes treadmill
Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #38
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

hour of water aerobics and 30 minutes of swimming. Banged my head on the bottom of the pool so went home after that.

going to a ball game tonight so will be doing lots of walking and climbing the stairs at the stadium.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #39
Fyreflyintheskye
☯tae kwan donut champ☯

Fyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions community

a brisk 1/2 mile walk to see ducks

Last edited by Risible; 05-03-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: edited language not appropriate for Health forum
Fyreflyintheskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #40
Actor4hire

Ouch, hope your head is feeling better.

Everybody is kicking major ass! Whether it be 5 minutes or 5 hours, it is all good! Just keep moving...

60 minutes on the elliptical today! Bummed I didn't hike, but still broke a sweat.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #41
Actor4hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreflyintheskye View Post

LOL! Whatver gets your heart rate up!!

Last edited by Risible; 05-03-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: edited out language not appropriate for Health forum
Actor4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #42
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I can't even get on that damn machine, I'm too short...lol. Butch has tried pushing me up from behind, no go!! It's a cool machine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Bella View Post
Thanks I'll try that! I know which machine you are talking about, I've tried it a couple of times but it feels so awkward to me that I end up getting off of it just a few minutes after starting.

We have this stair climbing machine at the gym that I plan on using soon. It looks like its actually stairs that move. Only thing is that the bottom stair disappears! I can just see myself not being able to do it fast enough and falling right off when the bottom one goes under.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #43
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreflyintheskye
Today, a brisk mile and a half walk. 30 minutes.

Last edited by Risible; 05-03-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: edited language not appropriate to Health forum to deleted post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #44
Fyreflyintheskye
☯tae kwan donut champ☯

Fyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor4hire View Post
LOL! Whatver gets your heart rate up!!
lol Risible... so the part about video games and Kegels were inappropriate for a health forum in re: to exercise? It was meant in jest.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #45
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreflyintheskye View Post
lol Risible... so the part about video games and Kegels were inappropriate for a health forum in re: to exercise? It was meant in jest.
This is particularly funny to me, because just the other day my physical therapist was telling me that Kegels are an important part of core-strengthening work, for my lower back. So yeah, they should count as exercise, according to my PT.

You're still a perv, though, Shar.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #46
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Five mile walk over an hour period because I felt like it. lol

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
Actor4hire

I hit up Disneyland today with the fam. Walked my ass off!! (I also ate my ass off)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #48
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default My Monday Workout

My routine is a (strength,cardiovascular and functional workout). I like to change things around so to prevent boredom and staleness.... This is what I did today

Tony's (Cardiovascular/Strength) routine

Now the workout studio is medium size and the Dumbbells I use are 45 lbs apiece. The Squat & Press alone is a full body workout. I like Compound Movements since you get to kill two movements in one and allow for a nice Abbreviated Workout.

===================================
30 minutes (Run/Weightlifting Program)

Run 10 laps
10 reps Dumbbell Squat & Press
Run 10 Laps
10 Reps Dumbbell Shrug & Hammercurl
Run 10 Laps
10 reps Stability Ball or Swiss Ball - Alternate Dumbbell Bench Press
Run 10 Laps
10 reps Dumbbell Squat & Press

Repeat the Sequence stop at 30 minutes

==================================

As I sit and write this my lower back is definitely feeling the effects of the workout- in a good way.

Youtube Clips of Dumbbell Exercises

** Squat & Press nice full body exercise

Dumbbell Squat & Press

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*** I do a compound movements with the Shrugs and Hammer Curl.
I first do the Shrug - Then the Hammer Cur
l

Dumbbell Shrug

Dumbbell Hammercurl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*** I use an alternate movement for the Bench Presses

Stability Ball Dumbbell Bench Presses
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #49
lypeaches

No trip to the gym yesterday, so I did a workout at home with my newly purchased dumbells...

35 minutes of mixed stuff, squats, crunches, assorted weight exercises. I'm lame, I don't know the names of most of the exercises, I just do them.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #50
Carrie

Swimming again this morning, with a few new exercises my prior PT taught me.

I'm not very good at updating this thread daily.