Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #2326
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Insanity: The Asylum
Strength
And a Isokinator routine after. Sore.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #2327
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Can an old guy stick his head in the door?

Before I turned 50, I did a lot of wood cutting and splitting (chainsaw and axe - none of that fancy hydraulic stuff) - 2 to 4 farmer cords a year. Additionally, I biked, hiked, did a lot of work on our house, kept up an engineering career and raised two fine sons (with the aid of my wife, of course.) After that age, these activities were no longer an option, so I switched to the gym. That was nearly 2 1/2 decades ago.

I've kept up the gym work, modifying it a bit as time went on and I grew older. Up to last year, my routine was as follows:
. 1/2 hr. on treadmill (level, walking)
. Three lower body exercises
. Four arm and shoulder exercises.

As I near 74 years of age, I find it better to split these up a bit. I still start each session with the treadmill, but do upper body one day and lower body two days later, alternating every two days (if I get there that often.)

When I was chopping wood, I had very strong arms and hands. My hands and grip are still rather phenomenal. However, I ripped the distal biceps tendon off the bone about 6 years ago and messed up my right rotator cuff three years ago. Neither was repairable. Therefore, I have had to reduce my upper body loads, but still do a better job than most.

Now, let's elaborate a bit.

Today was a lower body day.

I started with the treadmill, level, walking only (I never run), starting at 3.4 mph and working my way up in 3 minute increments, finishing with 3 minutes at 5.0 mph. That's a pretty quick walk, folks!

Then the following:

Leg press - 8 sets, 14 reps to 1 rep, increasing load:
14 reps @ 200 lb.
12 reps @ 240 lb.
10 reps @ 280 lb.
and so on,
2 reps at 440 lb.
1 rep at 480 lb.
and today, 1 rep at 500 lb., the stack limit.
(Note: this is a straight vertical lift, not a slant lift.)

Leg extension and leg curl. I use the same pattern of reps and loads for both.
Leg extension
12 reps @ 80 lb.
10 reps @ 100 lb.
8 reps @ 120 lb.
6 reps @ 140 lb.
4 reps @ 160 lb.

Leg curl
12 reps @ 80 lb.
10 reps @ 100 lb.
8 reps @ 120 lb.
6 reps @ 140 lb.
4 reps @ 160 lb.

Then after supper, Mrs Ho Ho and I did a ten mile bike ride to the coffee shop for a bit of ice cream and conversation.

I'll describe an upper body day next time.

By the way, I'm about 5'8" and 172 lb. And I still have a bit of round tummy, just like Ho Tai, for my wife to cuddle.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #2328
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
Before I turned 50, I did a lot of wood cutting and splitting (chainsaw and axe - none of that fancy hydraulic stuff) - 2 to 4 farmer cords a year. Additionally, I biked, hiked, did a lot of work on our house, kept up an engineering career and raised two fine sons (with the aid of my wife, of course.) After that age, these activities were no longer an option, so I switched to the gym. That was nearly 2 1/2 decades ago.

I've kept up the gym work, modifying it a bit as time went on and I grew older. Up to last year, my routine was as follows:
. 1/2 hr. on treadmill (level, walking)
. Three lower body exercises
. Four arm and shoulder exercises.

As I near 74 years of age, I find it better to split these up a bit. I still start each session with the treadmill, but do upper body one day and lower body two days later, alternating every two days (if I get there that often.)

When I was chopping wood, I had very strong arms and hands. My hands and grip are still rather phenomenal. However, I ripped the distal biceps tendon off the bone about 6 years ago and messed up my right rotator cuff three years ago. Neither was repairable. Therefore, I have had to reduce my upper body loads, but still do a better job than most.

Now, let's elaborate a bit.

Today was a lower body day.

I started with the treadmill, level, walking only (I never run), starting at 3.4 mph and working my way up in 3 minute increments, finishing with 3 minutes at 5.0 mph. That's a pretty quick walk, folks!

Then the following:

Leg press - 8 sets, 14 reps to 1 rep, increasing load:
14 reps @ 200 lb.
12 reps @ 240 lb.
10 reps @ 280 lb.
and so on,
2 reps at 440 lb.
1 rep at 480 lb.
and today, 1 rep at 500 lb., the stack limit.
(Note: this is a straight vertical lift, not a slant lift.)

Leg extension and leg curl. I use the same pattern of reps and loads for both.
Leg extension
12 reps @ 80 lb.
10 reps @ 100 lb.
8 reps @ 120 lb.
6 reps @ 140 lb.
4 reps @ 160 lb.

Leg curl
12 reps @ 80 lb.
10 reps @ 100 lb.
8 reps @ 120 lb.
6 reps @ 140 lb.
4 reps @ 160 lb.

Then after supper, Mrs Ho Ho and I did a ten mile bike ride to the coffee shop for a bit of ice cream and conversation.

I'll describe an upper body day next time.

By the way, I'm about 5'8" and 172 lb. And I still have a bit of round tummy, just like Ho Tai, for my wife to cuddle.
Ho Ho Tai not only can you stick you head into the door of this great thread- you might as well break the door down ... what you write is very inspirational... it's about making the exercise work for you... Now do you enjoy doing work with machines, free weights 'barbells' or dumbbells? ....

Below is a Wall Chart "YORK BARBELLand DUMBBELL SYSTEM OF TRAINING" circa 1930s - some of the stuff is old school ;but, still works today

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #2329
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Same Ole...45 min elliptical, 30 min weight machines.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #2330
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

30 min. weights, 65 min. elliptical
Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #2331
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Insanity- The Asylum
(Game Day)
Plus some isokinator work.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #2332
crayola box

25 minutes weights, 60 minutes elliptical
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #2333
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Today's workout - with the Chest Expanders

YORK ADVANCED METHODS

1. FRONT PULL, KNUCKLES UP
2. ARCHERS MOVEMENT
3. FRONT PULL, KNUCKLES IN
4. DIAGONAL FRONT PRESS
5. FRONT PRESS
6. ONE ARM CURL
7. ONE ARM ROW
8. PULL FROM ABOVE-KNUCKLES OUT.
9. PULL FROM ABOVE-KNUCKLES IN.
10. ONE ARM PRESS –TRICEP PRESS.
11. TRICEP EXERCISE
12. NECK WORK
13. GRIP WORK

1 set 15 reps (chest expander used for exercises 1-12)

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #2334
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Unhappy

no workout today - just stretching....

Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #2335
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Insanity: The Asylum
Vertical Plyo
Isokinator Work
Bas Rutten MMA workout- Thai Boxing (Three two minute rounds)

Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #2336
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Saturday's Workout

One Dumbbell

1. Compound Movement ( Deadlift -Clean Press) 45lb Dumbbell 4X 2 reps
2 Compound Movement ( Deadlift -Clean Press) 60lb Dumbbell 4X 2 reps

movement with left then right hand

Monday's workout - with the Chest Expanders

YORK ADVANCED METHODS

2. ARCHERS MOVEMENT
4. DIAGONAL FRONT PRESS
5. FRONT PRESS
6. ONE ARM CURL
7. ONE ARM ROW
11. TRICEP EXERCISE
12. BACK PRESS
13. SHOULDER SPREAD

1 set 15 reps (skipped exercise 2,11,12,13)

Tuesday another Old School Workout Today
circa York Barbell Company 1942

Most Exercises used a 50 lbs Dumbbell

1. Dumbbell Swing 10 reps
2. Alternate Dumbbell Press 15 reps
3. Chest Press with Tubing
4. One Arm Dumbbell Presses 12 reps
5. Dumbbell Shrugs 15 reps
6. Grip Work

Last edited by tonynyc; 08-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #2337
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

went to the gym about a day ago,2 hour workout did alittle bit of everything.will probably go again today
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #2338
Leesa

Leesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Today's workout

One hour of water pilates.
OH my poor ABS!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #2339
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Wednesday Workout

Odds and Ends day

Grip work for forearms
Neck exercises

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #2340
crayola box

Thursday- 20 min treadmill, 20 min weights, 30 min elliptical

Friday- 20 min elliptical, 20 minutes weights, 40 min treadmill.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #2341
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

50 minute mall walk Tuesday night

30 minutes around a craft festival yesterday- I was sweating like a pig and could hardly see even in "cooler temperatures this week"

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #2342
mybluice

mybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot pics

I committed to walking 6 nights a week 3 weeks ago with my friend. The first two weeks we walked together mostly around a park a little over 1 mile in less than 30 minutes each time. Last week I was in Nova Scotia even though I didn't walk the distance we were walking the town I was in was all hills, so no matter which way I went I would eventually have to climb a hill to get back to my hotel. Back home and we walked again tonight....it felt good to get out there and walk again.
mybluice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #2343
crayola box

Tonight- 20 min weights, 30 min treadmill, 20 min elliptical, crunches w/ ball
Old 08-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2344
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Bas Rutten's MMA workout- Thai Boxing (10 two minute rounds)

Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #2345
crayola box

Tuesday- 20 min weights, 30 min treadmill, 20 min elliptical

Friday- 30 min weights, 30 min treadmill, 20 min elliptical, stretches
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #2346
crayola box

Today: 20 minutes weights, 30 min treadmill, 30 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes easy stretches (this video), 10 minutes core exercises with swiss ball.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #2347
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Insanity: The asylum (Speed and Agility)

Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #2348
crayola box

Sunday- 20 min weights, 25 min treadmill, 25 minutes elliptical
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #2349
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Today's workout - with the Chest Expanders

YORK ADVANCED METHODS

2. ARCHERS MOVEMENT
4. DIAGONAL FRONT PRESS
5. FRONT PRESS
6. ONE ARM CURL
7. ONE ARM ROW
11. NECK WORK
12. GRIP WORK

1 set 10 reps (chest expander used for exercises 1-11)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #2350
crayola box

30 minutes weights, 25 min treadmill...then cut workout short b/c gym was packed and all the cardio machines were taken.