Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

View Poll Results: what do you consider your FAism?
fetish 13 17.33%
preference 51 68.00%
'alt.' lifestyle 0 0%
other 11 14.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
zanza

zanza has said some nice things
Default FA's views of FAs :preference, fetish, 'alt.' lifestyle?

i guess i have been wondering what other FAs viewpoint on their 'FAism', it seems like there are different terms thrown around here and there to describe it, so i wanted to see what others think is the best term to describe their interest in a larger partner.

i guess my own view is that is a preference as simple as for some people like blondes over brunettes.

I really don't know, I am sorta lost here.

No seriously, who am I?
zanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

I think this experience is different for each FA so it is hard to catagorize us as a group.

I believe being an FA is a genuine sexuality. It has certain aspects that only apply to FA's. I have never thought that preference or fetish describe things all that well.
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
CCC

CCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized rep

I'd say preference. Like Durin said, even that word doesn't accurately capture everything there is to it, but when compared to "fetish" or "alternative lifestyle"... yeah. It's a preference.

That has always seemed to be the easiest way to explain it to others, anyway. I haven't gotten many arguments after bringing up the "it's like liking blonds over brunettes" point.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

I would label my FA-ism as an orientation. Its not particularly fetishistic because I'm not super-precise regarding the fatness range. That said, my aesthetic doesn't include thin...
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
I'd say preference. Like Durin said, even that word doesn't accurately capture everything there is to it, but when compared to "fetish" or "alternative lifestyle"... yeah. It's a preference.

That has always seemed to be the easiest way to explain it to others, anyway. I haven't gotten many arguments after bringing up the "it's like liking blonds over brunettes" point.
I agree.

I've had this sort of love/hate relationship with the concept that it could be a fetish, but I use the term preference or "Other", because it can be as strong as a fetish, or much weaker. It depends on the person. I don't really want to throw the fetishists to the dogs, even though it annoys me that people think that's me. But that's there fault: Not the fetishists themselves (Unless they claim I am one .

For me as its very most it's a preference. I don't need it, and I won't always pick it over its alternative, but that doesn't mean I don't find larger women attractive.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal

Last edited by Jon Blaze; 05-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

For me, its a sexuality which is just as strong, if not more than my gender sexuality which no-one seems to ever question is a sexuality.
mergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

To me, calling it a sexuality is just saying it's a less-narrow version of a fetish.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
To me, calling it a sexuality is just saying it's a less-narrow version of a fetish.
If a non-fa has a range of preferences that is say +/- 30 lbs around a socially 'normal' weight... and an FA hypothetically has a range of preferences that are +/- 100 lbs or +/- 200 lbs then I would say that 'normal' non-fas are the ones with the narrow version of a fetish. However, we don't call it a 'thinness fetish'... we just think of it as standard heterosexuality. FAs are 'differently heterosexual', but I don't particularly see us as fetishists by definition.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
hmm.. well i suppose its just a definition, so it doesnt really matter as feelings are subjective anyway. To me, sexuality is more encompassing and part of your identity whereas a fetish is a sexual act that is focused on one thing. Being gay i dont just like female sex organs but love women and being an Fa..its not just 'fat' i identify, lust after or love but it is fat people themselves. It seems more than just a body fetish, more of a way of life somhow, but then thats just my definition. I'm sure there is a pretty wide Fa spectrum.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think depending on the person it can be a fetish, a sexuality, a preference, or even an 'alt.lifestyle.' For me I think 'sexuality' fits best, so I voted 'other.' It is not a fetish for me in that I don't think it is an absolute requirement, it is certainly a preference but at the same time I think it is more pervasive in my phych than just that. And I don't make it a lifestyle.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
blackghost75
Smiley is my nickname :)

blackghost75 can now change their title

I look at being an FA as a preference. To me a fetish is something thats is part-time. Is where a preference is full-time.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
wrench13
Pirate music for sail

Location: In New York City, formerly the big Apple, now the Big Target
wrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going on

I didn't see a check box for "I just feel fat women are sexyest" so I didn't vote.
wrench13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Fangs
AmateurArt

Fangs can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFangs can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

"any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation."

I went with fetish. I must be in the more extreme cases where I just won't orgasm unless there's fat involved.
I can't say preference because I've tried thinking of a slender couple together and it does nothing for me. High school was rather confusing for a bit. I thought I was a lesbian since I couldn't see the appeal of the slender male form.

Oddly enough, it's a preference that the guy be fat. I technically could date a slender guy, but the focus on fat would have to be on me. Odd, no? Either way, the FA part is most definitely a fetish for me.
Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
jakub
Visitor

jakub can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjakub can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I don't really understand what "lifestyle" means in context of being FA.
jakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakub View Post
I don't really understand what "lifestyle" means in context of being FA.
i hear that. i don't really understand what it means in the context of sexual orientation, either.
nor do i get the term "preference" when used in this context. i don't prefer fat women... fat women are the only women to who i am sexually attracted.
i don't "prefer" fat women - i want them exclusively!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"
disconnectedsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
marlowegarp
I wanna meet that dad

marlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnectedsmile View Post
i hear that. i don't really understand what it means in the context of sexual orientation, either.
nor do i get the term "preference" when used in this context. i don't prefer fat women... fat women are the only women to who i am sexually attracted.
i don't "prefer" fat women - i want them exclusively!
Hear, hear!

Could someone define "alt. lifestyle"? Because when I hear that I think of the Simpsons episode where Dr. Hibbert says:

"Hillbillies like to be called "sons of the soil". But it ain't gonna happen!(A-he-HEE-HEE!)"
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
undrcovrbrothr
Beach nut

undrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackghost75 View Post
I look at being an FA as a preference. To me a fetish is something thats is part-time. Is where a preference is full-time.
Repped. This is plain as can be.

I chose preference because it is who I am. I did not choose "alt" because I am not in a small "fringe" minority (whatever word is best to describe it), and it most certainly isn't like an orientation, because if it was then I could not be with a thinner woman at all, or not like it at all, which is unrealistic as I am still male.

A preference is perfect to explain a biological and/or permanent desire as an FA that gravitates me towards beautiful women, except that society in general wants me to believe that I am wrong for it.

~~Those of a nasty disposition with nothing nice to say shall be ignored~~
undrcovrbrothr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
The Fez
Welp.

The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Fez has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Sexual fetishism, or erotic fetishism, is the sexual arousal brought on by objects, situations or body parts not conventionally viewed as being sexual in nature.
with that in mind, being an FA is a fetish
The Fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackghost75 View Post
I dunno. I PREFER milk in my coffee. That doesn't mean I won't drink it black.

Same with women, at least for me. I prefer them with milk.

Seriously, the reason I dated thinner women as well before I met my wife was simply because the person inside has always weighed more heavily (pun intended) than the person outside. Fortunately, my wife has both qualities, and I win.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #20
mergirl

I like my men like i like my coffee.
I don't.

I am with you on this though. I would say 'preference' doesnt describe something you want all the time, where as 'sexuality' does. I think this is why i describe My Fa side as a sexuality because fat is not something i prefer over thin it is something i have no control over loving exclusively.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #21
undrcovrbrothr
Beach nut

undrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized repundrcovrbrothr has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Sexual fetishism, or erotic fetishism, is the sexual arousal brought on by objects, situations or body parts not conventionally viewed as being sexual in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle Fez View Post
with that in mind, being an FA is a fetish
"not conventionally viewed" is subject to interpretation, and with the sheer number of those who are FA, use subjects in their works, promote it in the public, etc, it cannot be considered a fetish. The sexual attraction between a man and a women, in a general, normal sense, could never be considered a fetish- if so, you could change the genders and call other orientations fetishes. That's a wrong-headed approach to me.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrcovrbrothr View Post
"not conventionally viewed" is subject to interpretation, and with the sheer number of those who are FA, use subjects in their works, promote it in the public, etc, it cannot be considered a fetish. The sexual attraction between a man and a women, in a general, normal sense, could never be considered a fetish- if so, you could change the genders and call other orientations fetishes. That's a wrong-headed approach to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
If a non-fa has a range of preferences that is say +/- 30 lbs around a socially 'normal' weight... and an FA hypothetically has a range of preferences that are +/- 100 lbs or +/- 200 lbs then I would say that 'normal' non-fas are the ones with the narrow version of a fetish. However, we don't call it a 'thinness fetish'... we just think of it as standard heterosexuality. FAs are 'differently heterosexual', but I don't particularly see us as fetishists by definition.
Well, THIS really. If Fa's have a broader range of body types/shapes/weights that they find pleasing than Non Fa's then it is the Non Fa's who are more fetishistic.
There are fetishistic aspects conected to being an Fa. Maby some people can 'only' get turned on by thinking about weight gain or 'only' get turned on when looking at a 'belly hang' but i dont think people like this are any more or less prevailant than they are outside of an Fa context.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #23
undrcovrbrothr
Beach nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
There are fetishistic aspects conected to being an Fa. Maby some people can 'only' get turned on by thinking about weight gain or 'only' get turned on when looking at a 'belly hang' but i dont think people like this are any more or less prevailant than they are outside of an Fa context.
Ahh, but if a *BBW or BHM has no real belly hang or has absolutely no desire to gain weight, and then the stronger sexual feelings are absent, then I'd wonder if you could call it a general preference- that is a totally different matter, for now we're talking about specific, narrow topics.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #24
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrcovrbrothr View Post
Ahh, but if a *BBW or BHM has no real belly hang or has absolutely no desire to gain weight, and then the stronger sexual feelings are absent, then I'd wonder if you could call it a general preference- that is a totally different matter, for now we're talking about specific, narrow topics.
hmm.. i would say if you can live without something sexually, then it is not something you fetishisize.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #25
undrcovrbrothr
Beach nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
hmm.. i would say if you can live without something sexually, then it is not something you fetishisize.
EXACTLY. I just can't live without BBWs, plain and simple.. I just cannot