Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Sugar Magnolia
vmilwa :)

Sugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticed

Yep. The cake is banana, too. It's round and folded like a taco.

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."
~J. Austen's Emma
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #27
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyTwoChins View Post
1.) Jogging
2.) Restaurant Boothes
3.) Doing anything on my knees
4.) Folding Chairs
5.) Plastic Chairs
6.) Store bought T-shirts
7.) 1959 Triumph TR3As
I have the knee thing too.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
SanDiega

SanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going onSanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going onSanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going onSanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going onSanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going onSanDiega knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotRazor View Post
Surfing
I don't know. Some of those surfers are pretty big.
SanDiega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #29
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

I don't understand any of the "I'm too fat to (insert physical activity here)" Being fat doesn't make exercise impossible, laziness does. It could be running, pull ups, surfing, push ups, rowing, jump rope, box jumps, anything. Fat people can do it all.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #30
BobbyTwoChins

BobbyTwoChins can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic_Effect View Post
I don't understand any of the "I'm too fat to (insert physical activity here)" Being fat doesn't make exercise impossible, laziness does. It could be running, pull ups, surfing, push ups, rowing, jump rope, box jumps, anything. Fat people can do it all.
Good to know it's laziness that stopping me and my fellow compadres from spelunking (caving), or fitting into booths at the local restaurant.

And to be serious for a moment, I disagree. There are a number of conditions which result in eating disorders, which can lead to becoming fat. There's also a number of conditions resulting from being fat, which can affect mobility and other physical attributes needed to jump rope, surf, or run.

I sometimes wish it was merely lack of motivation that kept me from being a fit healthy man.
BobbyTwoChins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Good to know it's laziness that stopping me and my fellow compadres from spelunking (caving), or fitting into booths at the local restaurant.

And to be serious for a moment, I disagree. There are a number of conditions which result in eating disorders, which can lead to becoming fat. There's also a number of conditions resulting from being fat, which can affect mobility and other physical attributes needed to jump rope, surf, or run.

I sometimes wish it was merely lack of motivation that kept me from being a fit healthy man.
It is. I weigh 375 lbs and have no problem doing any of it. Well, i've never tried surfing but that's just because i live in ohio. It's definitely more difficult to get started in those things than it is for a small person. But, after a few months of suffering through the pain you can do it all. And just a tip for anyone that wants to get into that stuff. Jumping rope is better than running. Lot less impact. your calves will be on fire but you won't have the same joint pain that running causes. Rower's are another great tool for the large man. you get to sit on your ass while doing it so your weight isnt much of an issue. and it works your whole body.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #32
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
It is. I weigh 375 lbs and have no problem doing any of it. Well, i've never tried surfing but that's just because i live in ohio. It's definitely more difficult to get started in those things than it is for a small person. But, after a few months of suffering through the pain you can do it all. And just a tip for anyone that wants to get into that stuff. Jumping rope is better than running. Lot less impact. your calves will be on fire but you won't have the same joint pain that running causes. Rower's are another great tool for the large man. you get to sit on your ass while doing it so your weight isnt much of an issue. and it works your whole body.
You do realize that everyone has a different reality, right?

Your whole generalization is hilarious!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #33
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiega View Post
I don't know. Some of those surfers are pretty big.
Then bring on the curls, always wanted to learn to surf.
WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #34
Geodetic_Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
You do realize that everyone has a different reality, right?

Your whole generalization is hilarious!
I don't like to generalize. It's not going to be that way 100% of the time. But, in my experience, the vast majority of cases it's laziness.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #35
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Just because fat people can do certain activities doesn't mean it's wise. Strapping 200 pounds of extra weight to an average sized person's body for example would not enhance their workouts in the slightest. On the contrary, it yeilds only negative consequences. It will appear for some people earlier than others but no one escapes unscathed regardless of how strong and well conditioned they are. Hips and knees will pay. You might want to rethink your position.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #36
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
So, you do realize that you just called almost all of the fat people here on Dimensions lazy, right?

I'm curious about how you thought this slight would be received (and in case you weren't clear, most people consider being called lazy to be a slight)
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #37
BobbyTwoChins

BobbyTwoChins can now change their title

Quote:
It is. I weigh 375 lbs and have no problem doing any of it. Well, i've never tried surfing but that's just because i live in ohio.
Oh? Too lazy to make the trip to the coast, huh?
BobbyTwoChins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
Geodetic_Effect

Quote:
Oh? Too lazy to make the trip to the coast, huh?

LOL, just haven't made it that far west yet. someday i will be out there and i'll have a great time falling on my face attempting to surf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Just because fat people can do certain activities doesn't mean it's wise. Strapping 200 pounds of extra weight to an average sized person's body for example would not enhance their workouts in the slightest. On the contrary, it yeilds only negative consequences. It will appear for some people earlier than others but no one escapes unscathed regardless of how strong and well conditioned they are. Hips and knees will pay. You might want to rethink your position.
Fitness is the most important aspect of health. All workouts can easily be scaled to ability and done safely and then increased in a linear progression. You might want to learn a little more about exercise.

"We have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah.

Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome.

We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live.

And that is the purpose of exercise...

...Accumulating injuries are the price we pay for the thrill of not having sat around on our asses." Mark Rippetoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
So, you do realize that you just called almost all of the fat people here on Dimensions lazy, right?

I'm curious about how you thought this slight would be received (and in case you weren't clear, most people consider being called lazy to be a slight)
I wouldn't assume that almost all the fat people on dimensions are lazy. I don't know their level of physical activity. I'm just saying that a lot of fat people refrain from physical activity that they are perfectly capable of doing but choose not to because they are unwilling to exert themselves. That is the definition of laziness. And if anyone is angry with this statement it's probably because it is true. People should be honest with themselves instead of making excuses.

"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom" Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #39
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Fitness is the most important aspect of health. All workouts can easily be scaled to ability and done safely and then increased in a linear progression. You might want to learn a little more about exercise.

"We have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah.

Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome.

We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live.

And that is the purpose of exercise...

...Accumulating injuries are the price we pay for the thrill of not having sat around on our asses." Mark Rippetoe
Look, you don't have to get flip with me Geodetic. All 'workouts' can be scaled but all 'activities,' which was what you were originally referring too, can not. There is no wisdom in having a 400 pound person doing deep knee bends. Even Ripptoe posts a disclaimer to consult a physician first before engaging in any of his activities, he's not a doctor. It is possible for even a healthy activity to be unhealthy for a person. Through the endorphin high people don't usually hear that little warning until they are forced to sit around on their asses from repetative stress injury and are being fitted with special shoes. This place is full of people who live this. We've heard people better than you serving up this pitch. Then wash it down with a story about how all the people in wheelchairs from their gung ho theories are to blame because they either didn't do it properly or didn't consult a physician first. It won't happen to you and if it does, that's not their fault either. Don't play doctor with the people here.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #40
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

^^^ exactly

He's also forgetting the many fat people who are fat mainly because they have a heart/lung condition that physically prevents them from exerting themselves. My mother-in-law has such a condition and, if she even gets too angry, she could die.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #41
Laina
Passionately Apathetic

Laina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
^^^ exactly

He's also forgetting the many fat people who are fat mainly because they have a heart/lung condition that physically prevents them from exerting themselves. My mother-in-law has such a condition and, if she even gets too angry, she could die.
Obviously they're just too lazy to grow new organs!

Me? I'm too lazy to grow new joints (and too young and too poor to have them replaced).

I would love to see someone motivate me out of osteoarthritis. No, seriously. If you could just talk me out of this pain, it'd be great. C'mon, all I need is to think positive, right?

If only positive thinking and jumping rope could replace painkillers, canes and night after night of lying awake because nothing will take the edge off...then again, if that's all it took, my (daily) bike ride, strength training and vitamin supplements probably would have cured it by now.

Yeah, clearly I'm just too lazy to run.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #42
Geodetic_Effect

Again, I'm not saying it is that way for every person. But the number of fat people that actually have a medical condition that is preventing them from performing physical activities is very small. The health problems of fat people usually start with laziness. Most of the time that is how they become fat. And then they develop medical problems as a result. That's why fitness is so important. You can prevent these problems long before they start. and even reverse them after they do. And then you can be a healthy, fit fat person with a much longer life. The only thing that is stopping them is their own mind. and the endorphin high doesn't come until after you have completed a tough workout. during the workout your entire body is telling you to stop. but you suck it up and keep going. that is how you get stronger.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #43
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying it is that way for every person. But the number of fat people that actually have a medical condition that is preventing them from performing physical activities is very small. The health problems of fat people usually start with laziness. Most of the time that is how they become fat. And then they develop medical problems as a result. That's why fitness is so important. You can prevent these problems long before they start. and even reverse them after they do. And then you can be a healthy, fit fat person with a much longer life. The only thing that is stopping them is their own mind. and the endorphin high doesn't come until after you have completed a tough workout. during the workout your entire body is telling you to stop. but you suck it up and keep going. that is how you get stronger.
Way to bring a zamboni to water games at the fire hydrant. Up until you got here this was a fun, lighthearted thread about being too fat to ride in a one wheeled wagon or squeeze in to a hula hoop. Only two or three people actually posted about not being able to engage in physical activity and one of them isn't even fat. Then you come along and without knowing anything about anyone saw only an opportunity to run your sales pitch. Nobody here is in need of an explanation as to why exercise is important. What kind of people do you take us for??

@~;~~
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #44
Surlysomething

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Way to bring a zamboni to water games at the fire hydrant. Up until you got here this was a fun, lighthearted thread about being too fat to ride in a one wheeled wagon or squeeze in to a hula hoop. Only two or three people actually posted about not being able to engage in physical activity and one of them isn't even fat. Then you come along and without knowing anything about anyone saw only an opportunity to run your sales pitch. Nobody here is in need of an explanation as to why exercise is important. What kind of people do you take us for??

You rock my world, Lilly.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #45
Laina
Passionately Apathetic

Laina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticedLaina never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
I would like to see your statistics on fat people and medical histories. Please cite them. Obviously you have some fantastic reference that everyone else does not.

I would also like to see your statistics on "most" health problems beginning with laziness and slipping into fatness. (My arthritis began with a Dodge Avenger falling on me - hell, I'm not even fat!)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #46
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm too fat to put up with "I did it so anyone else can" mental laziness.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #47
ChrisVersion2

ChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging inChrisVersion2 makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm in no shape to exercise, lol
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #48
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

At 300+ pounds, I am not doing jumping jacks. Seriously.
BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #49
Brooklyn Red Leg
Anarcho-Capitalism FTW!

Brooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBrooklyn Red Leg is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaz View Post
At 300+ pounds, I am not doing jumping jacks. Seriously.
Oh come on. At least do one! j/k
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #50
Shinobi_Hime-Sama
Found Mr. Right...I hope.

Shinobi_Hime-Sama has super-sized repShinobi_Hime-Sama has super-sized repShinobi_Hime-Sama has super-sized repShinobi_Hime-Sama has super-sized rep

I think this thread is meant to be funny, not serious. But that's just my newbie observation....
Shinobi_Hime-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote