Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #2401
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgujer148 View Post
Consider checking out "The Ides of March". Gosling gives a strong performance in that film as well.

"The Ides of March" is about a 7.5/10, but is very watchable.
I can usually tell from the trailers whether or not I'll like a movie and how much, so I go with a certain level of expectation (but I suppose most movie buffs do this) and I'm usually spot on about what I'm gonna get, but Drive was hard for me to figure out, so I was amazed at how good it was. I expect to leave the theater after seeing Ides of March saying "okay, it wasn't terrible," but since Ryan Gosling is in it and I like him now, I might be biased. LOL

olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #2402
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I expect to leave the theater after seeing Ides of March saying "okay, it wasn't terrible,"
I didn't review this one because all I would be doing is steeling from Roger Ebert. He wrote (in a generally positive review): "Clooney the director brings his actor's experience to the job and attends closely to performance. The impression remains, however, that he believes this movie to be more of an expose than it is." I call it the Ron Howard Syndrome.

pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #2403
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgujer148 View Post
I didn't review this one because all I would be doing is steeling from Roger Ebert. He wrote (in a generally positive review): "Clooney the director brings his actor's experience to the job and attends closely to performance. The impression remains, however, that he believes this movie to be more of an expose than it is." I call it the Ron Howard Syndrome.
That's an interesting review then. It just seems like any other thriller to me. I'm guessing then that Clooney was a bit too heavy handed in this...maybe he should do more movies like The American or Ocean's Eleven, or that movie where he was flying all the time (my memory is terrible). I liked all of those.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #2404
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A Stephen King double bill

Dolores Clairborne 7/10

A woman is suspected of killing the woman she worked for, as a maid. Her estranged daughter shows up and realizes there is a lot for to this case, and her own family, than most people can imagine.
Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Leigh are absolutely outstanding in the leads as the mother and daughter, and with a stellar supporting cast, (including the great David Strathairn, in flashbacks, as husband/father), makes this a film to watch. There is however one major flaw: it is a bit overlong. Then again, it is directed by Taylor Hackford, and is it just me or is all his films overlong, (I have seen eight of his films, and I would label most of them as overlong)?
But overall, a good film, especially because of the great performances.

Dreamcatcher 1/10

What a piece of shit! And it is a film that has a lot of feces: no wonder. It is weird, though: from the wonderful director Lawrence Kasdan, based on a novel by Stephen King adapted by the brilliant William Goldman, you would expect more. Then again, this is just a horrible, painful experience of a motion picture. Please, don't watch this film. It's two hour plus of your life you'll never get back.
Somebody should be arrested for greenlighting this film.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #2405
Kenster102.5

Kenster102.5 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Runaway Train 1985 - 7/10

I remember it was around 2007 and I was 16, and I saw the ending to it. But I recently saw it again, and man what a great movie about corruption, poor decisions, and despair. I liked how everything went okay for the characters played by Eric Roberts and John Voight, and then all of a sudden took a heart attack literally. The movie did have some slow parts and some logical errors. But the character that John Voight put on did not make me think he was John Voight, raging anger as opposed to cold a calculative in 24.

Also the fact that me being a Railfan, liked seeing the GPs and that F series.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #2406
GTAFA
Master Member

GTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticed

I got Inside Job on a DVD and watched it. It seems really timely because of the Wall St protests. 10 out of 10 doesn't really do it justice, when it's a documentary explaining something very complicated, and taking huge risks to do so. I am in awe of the film-maker. Whether you're left or right you must see this film which really explains what happened in the downturn.

Of course it will probably make you mad. But that's how you know it's working.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #2407
LeoGibson
Whiskey Bent

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

American Juggalo - 8/10

A good documentary short about the Gathering of the Juggalos and the community. A visually pretty film and interesting subject matter. You can watch it for free online at. AmericanJuggalo.com

It is only 23 minutes long, but a pretty interesting 23 minutes. However, it is NSFW due to language and nudity. That is if you have a job you can get away with watching movies instead of working,
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #2408
Heyyou
On Timeout

Location: Get a map, connect the dots, draw a horsie, throw a dart. 82% chance i been there or live there now.
Heyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging in

"Death Sentence" (2006, Kevin Bacon) 10 out of 10.

I live this movie!
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #2409
rellis10
tuh-maw-tow

rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rellis10 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
"Death Sentence" (2006, Kevin Bacon) 10 out of 10.

I live this movie!

I really liked this movie too, it surpassed my expections by a long way. 8/10
Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #2410
GTAFA
Master Member

GTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticedGTAFA never has a post go unnoticed

Tree of Life. It's NOT for everyone. It's pretentious, ambitious, painful, long, confusing.... and if you're open to it, this might be the best film you see this year. IF you don't like films that are hard to decode (think of the end of 2001 a space odyssey, or one of those complex bergman films), you won't like this either. But if you prefer that kind of complexity, this is the film for you. 9 out of 10
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #2411
Mozz

Mozz can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

500 Days of Summer
8 / 10

I wish summer and him could of work it out...
Mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #2412
None
Enemy of Office Furniture

None never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticed

Crazy, Stupid, Love - 7 Stupids / 10 Crazies - Not a terrible movie by any means. It's shot well enough, the acting is strong, and there was enough pathos and laughs to keep me interested in it. It's good to see Steve Carrell in a decent movie again where he isn't playing a complete fool. I kind of wish that the parallels the film tried to make between Carrell and Gosling were done a little better. I do like how the giant romantic gesture is deflated by a bunch of misunderstandings even if the main one is simply dropped in from no where and feels a bit like a cheat. However, the power of going against the trend in these type of comidramas is ruined by another huge romantic gesture in public at the end of the film that fixes everything.

Submarine - 8 Mystic Handjobs / 10 Viking Dog Funerals - This is a very good film. There are some amazing visual sequences in this that I fell in love with. The film at times feels like a British version of a Wes Anderson film except without as much of the quirk or humor as Anderson's film generally have. Also, the tendency for the main character's narration to comment too much on the artifice of filmic techniques took me out of it. Especially near the end when he makes an oft comment about the entire thing being sort of like a coming of age story...that said, it's a strong coming of age tale that does manage to have a complex look at this young man's life as he explores first love, deals with his parent's crumbling marriage and first heartbreak. Plus, it has the line "My mom gave a handjob to a mystic."
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #2413
spacce
the Lost one

spacce can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesspacce can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Rocky Balboa (2006) -- 6.5 out of 10
Yeah I delayed watching it until now for some reason..

I thought it was good, though I wish his training scenes could have been longer..

No rocky is like Rocky 4 though
spacce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #2414
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Broken Embraces - 7/10

It seems like Pedro Almodovar didn't so much as write a script for this film, but rather had wrote down everything he came up with, and filmed it. And it works to a certain point: the first half is very slow, the second act is great and the third goes in every direction.
Everybody is doing a good job, but the final result is just good, not great as it should be. It's also a difficult plot to explain: a director looses his sight, and for years he is bearing a secret on what really happened. But one day he decides to tell his story to his young assistent, (who might also be his son).
This is a movie with a lot of style, but it's short on a deeper level... I think. Almodovar is a great filmmaker, but this is not his strongest work. Then again, it might be better to watch a lesser work by Almodovar than by a good one by someone else.

I do reccomend it, there's nothing bad about the film. The second act is terrific, and Penelope Cruz's performance is wonderful, but it's just not the great film it should be.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #2415
Lovelyone
Fat, and loveable!

Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!

Bridesmaids- 6.5/10 I found it to be a bit dull. I guess I was expecting a girly-type "Hangover" movie but it was more about friendship.

Horrible Bosses 8/10 But only because I like Jason Bateman. It was slow but then funny.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #2416
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Town & Country - 2/10

This movie came out ten years ago, and was the biggest failure in the history after Cutthroad Island, and was later surpassed by Pluto Nash. I hated them both, but this one wasn't too bad.

Rich, white guy Warren Beatty has sex with younger woman. Everybody knows he does it, but his best friend is gay. Charlton Heston tries to shoot him. Goldie Hawn is pissed, Diane Keaton, (wife), really loves Warren, and the foreign son in law loves them because there is no difference between America and Africa.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #2417
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The Best Man (1964) Henry Fonda, Cliff Robertson, Lee Tracy 8/10.
Win with Mer Win

Advise and Consent (1962) Henry Fonda, Walter Pidgeon, Charles Laughton. Classic film, really edgy material probably even in today's films. Great classic 9/10
Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #2418
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

DitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging inDitzyBrunette makes people happy simply by logging in

Bridesmaids. To sum up in one word - DISAPPOINTMENT. 6/10. The six points are for Melissa McCarthy only. Not funny. The characters suck. Thank God we didn't pay money to see this in the theater.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #2419
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The Big Year - 7.5/10 I would give it more points, but Owen Wilson's whiny voice annoys me. I enjoyed the parts of it in which he didn't speak or appear on the screen. If you don't hate OW, then it's a pretty enjoyable movie.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #2420
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by None View Post
Crazy, Stupid, Love - 7 Stupids / 10 Crazies - Not a terrible movie by any means. It's shot well enough, the acting is strong, and there was enough pathos and laughs to keep me interested in it. It's good to see Steve Carrell in a decent movie again where he isn't playing a complete fool. I kind of wish that the parallels the film tried to make between Carrell and Gosling were done a little better. I do like how the giant romantic gesture is deflated by a bunch of misunderstandings even if the main one is simply dropped in from no where and feels a bit like a cheat. However, the power of going against the trend in these type of comidramas is ruined by another huge romantic gesture in public at the end of the film that fixes everything.

Submarine - 8 Mystic Handjobs / 10 Viking Dog Funerals - This is a very good film. There are some amazing visual sequences in this that I fell in love with. The film at times feels like a British version of a Wes Anderson film except without as much of the quirk or humor as Anderson's film generally have. Also, the tendency for the main character's narration to comment too much on the artifice of filmic techniques took me out of it. Especially near the end when he makes an oft comment about the entire thing being sort of like a coming of age story...that said, it's a strong coming of age tale that does manage to have a complex look at this young man's life as he explores first love, deals with his parent's crumbling marriage and first heartbreak. Plus, it has the line "My mom gave a handjob to a mystic."
Does this movie also contain a viking dog funeral? Cause if not I'll be very disappointed.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #2421
None
Enemy of Office Furniture

None never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticedNone never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Does this movie also contain a viking dog funeral? Cause if not I'll be very disappointed.
It does in fact, probably not as huge a part as my rating metric would make it out to be, but it is indeed there.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #2422
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by None View Post
It does in fact, probably not as huge a part as my rating metric would make it out to be, but it is indeed there.
Then I'm putting it in my netflix cue just for that scene.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #2423
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Green Lantern - 5/10

It was interesting at first but it couldn't quite capture my full attention. Every dude in it had "daddy issues". It was kinda nauseating. Oh...and the "heroine" got on my nerves.
CAMellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #2424
Dromond
spucatum tauri

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'd rate Green Lantern 7 - 10, but that's because I saw it at a 3D IMAX and I'm a comic book nerd. The movie gave me a nerdgasm.

District 9

A raw movie in pseudo-documentary style, it's a study in racism in South Africa -among other things, like corrupt corporate security agencies and general inhumanity. Standing in for the "coloreds," are bipedal insectoid aliens marooned on Earth. The premise is copied from "Alien Nation," but it's no knockoff. It goes in a totally different direction. I highly recommend it. 8 - 10; 2 points deducted for the cartoonishness of the Nigerian side plot.
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #2425
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

She's Having A Baby- 8/10

This was a kinda weird movie kinda, but in the end it did get the message across. And pretty good soundtrack as well. This was kinda different then John Hughes regular work. He said it was loosely based off of his life kinda.

Tags
movies, rate