Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I'm not sure how I feel about this one....

Ok.
What I mean is, I think it's a great story. It's awesome that the kid's happy and you know, doing what feels right for herself...
but, watch the video. Does it seem like CNN is still acting like being transgendered is some sort of psych disorder? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it kind of bothered me how an otherwise awesome story still has... negative undertones.

http://news.aol.com/health/article/boy-or-girl/489615

And ANOTHER THING...
Can we stop treating transgender people like a freakshow? Really? Seeing it in the new honestly pisses me off when they're like I WAS BORN A GIRL BUT I WANT TO BE A BOY! THE STORY AT 8 ON FOX... I don't know, again, maybe i'm jumping off a ledge here but... i just get angry with it because it's NOT A BIG DEAL and I sort of see that kind of thing as like... i'm not sure of the word i'm thinking of... haha. but... i really don't think it's HELPING the trans community. i'm sure some people are going to watch that piece on CNN and feel a little more educated... about a psych disorder! NO! Wrong!
How about we change that story? There is a little girl named Katie who is 8 years old. She was born a boy ON THE OUTSIDE, however, she has awesome parents who are helping her be who she really is. Katie likes this, this and this. End.

/rant

Last edited by Weeze; 05-21-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Canadianfeeder

Canadianfeeder can now change their title

I think what the psychologist intended to say, and maybe CNN's editing for that piece was substandard, was that if the individual is not allowed to display themselves they way they feel, it can lead to major psychological disorders. I believe she says something to the effect that the individual has the biological set of one gender but the brain develops differently. In order for non-transgendered people to understand, we have to use the unwanted psychological jargon of normal and abnormal development. But that the awareness of "this isn't a phase, its hardwired into your child's brain that they are a boy/girl, not what their exterrior presents, and we need to accept it and allow them to live as their brain dictates and be happy" will prevent all the negative outcomes that were discussed.

I agree, that FOX and other networks need to stop playing up the freakshow aspect of it, but I think the video is rather positive. It may cause some parents of transgendered children to wake up and go "Hey, my son/daughter who acts like the opposite gender...isn't acting. They are the other gender - inside" which could lead to a change in core beliefs. Because, well, isn't it what's inside that matters.

I dunno, maybe from being outside this particular group I don't fully grasp the negative overtones of it, but I really think this video was a call to parents to accept their children for who they are on the inside, and that the shell is just a shell.
Canadianfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
knottedsouls
Organized Chaos

knottedsouls can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesknottedsouls can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Understandable

I dont think you are overthinking it, I can totally see where you are coming from.

I received this very story via one of my youth group kids over facebook, I totally missed the video however. Overall I thought it was a good article, Im always impressed when an article is written about a transgendered person and the pronouns are used correctly, probably sounds trivial.

It is not right in any sense of the word, but the media will go for the sensationalization every time to increase viewership, which in turn increases revenues and so the poison apple rolls...etc etc etc. Also, the 'freak factor' in news stories about transgender folks specifically but the queer population overall, never fails to piss me off.

We had an issue here in Pittsburgh , I think it was last year, where a Transwoman had a run in with the law downtown, it was something trivial and stupid because -to add fuel to the fire she was not only Trangendered but she also had the nerve to be homeless.*dripping sarcasm* ( dont get me started on the issues of the treatment of the homeless)
It was put in the local paper and people were quoted as calling her an 'it' and other such bullshit. The writer of said article also was VERY disrespectful, using improper pronouns and what have you and of course making veiled jokes at this womans expense throughout the entire article, if memory serves me. Anything to de-humanize someone that is perceived as "different".

There was a letter writing campaign that was undertaken by the local organizers of National Transgender Day of Remembrance and I believe eventually the woman received an official apology for her treatment by the local law enforcement authorities, et al....

The sensationalism isnt limited to just 'straight' media either...my friend was part of a documentary about his transition that ran on Logo. I was so excited for him, I got totally geeked the first time I caught a blurb advertising the documentary..because, wow, there was my friend sharing his story just like he wanted to do and it was actually being shown on a 'major' media outlet...

Then when I really watched it the second time it came on... the blurb was put together in a way that didnt honor his actual path/transition so much in my honest opinion, it was ...sensationalized, Im sure for the same reason as media outlets like FOX etc do it.

As far as the story about Katie, it sucks that this article and video about this one little girls path to be herself, which could have been great for the overall visibility of Transgender issues ( not to mention the encouragement for parents to let their children be who and how they are, however that may be...) had to be tempered with talk of a mental disorders. Its the whole, 'look they are different from 'us', lets give them a label and make sure they never quite fit' mentality. UG!

My hope is that other parents who may be facing similar situations with their own children will see this article and even the video...know they are not alone and reach out for resources instead of trying to force their child to align with their perceptions of what is or isnt right for their child's specific identity.

Here is to hoping this made sense as its nearly five AM and I havent slept yet...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think parents are coming around slowly and learning more about trans issues.
I always hated the way the media treated it like there was something wrong with the individual mentally.
15 years ago I got treated like I was a freak but I didn't really seek media attention.A local paper contacted me about doing a story I told them I wanted no part of it.
They said it would help the community to understand TG issues better.I asked them how and they couldn't answer.
I do speak to trans gendered kids on a one on one basis for a local psycologist if they have questions.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii View Post
I always hated the way the media treated it like there was something wrong with the individual mentally.
15 years ago I got treated like I was a freak but I didn't really seek media attention.A local paper contacted me about doing a story I told them I wanted no part of it.
They said it would help the community to understand TG issues better.I asked them how and they couldn't answer.
I do speak to trans gendered kids on a one on one basis for a local psycologist if they have questions.

Thanks Tracii!

The bolded part is soooo great. Seriously. I think there should be more of that sort of thing for gay, trans, and whatever else kids.
I know that our local planned parenthood actually has a weekly after school program for gay/bi/ally kids. Anyone else have anything like that? Ours is called Spectrum.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
knottedsouls
Organized Chaos

knottedsouls can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesknottedsouls can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismiss View Post
Thanks Tracii!

Anyone else have anything like that? Ours is called Spectrum.
Planned Parenthood eh? Thats cool, Ill have to ask my ED if we can try to collaborate with the Pgh Planned Parenthood chapter here.

Actually there are a couple of things like this in Pittsburgh..

The is the Gay and Lesbian Community Center Friday Night Drop in for GLBT youth and allies. I do various youth focused educational workshops there two to three times a month.

My CBO just started an After School Program that happens every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon/early evening at the Gay and LEsbian Community Center. We try to have check in time and offer group crafts on Tuesdays and game days on thursdays ( Scattergories is a favorite). There are snacks and drinks provided and plenty of opportunity to talk with other GLBT & allied youth. The Afterschool Program is less then two months old, but it has grown steadily, which is great.

I am also part of( through my CBO) a monthly GLBT youth centered event series called Queer youth Connections, We have done everything from Bingo night to Bowling to Open Mic night ( Open Mic night being the most popular.. there is so much talent in the community)

ok shutting up now
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
rundmc25
Papa Grande

rundmc25 can now change their title

I didn't think the article was that bad. In fact, I think articles and video clips such as these probably play a positive role in helping people who are completely oblivious about trans issues to sort of understand them more. However, having said that, I completely agree that the media tries to "freakify" transexuals. As someone else already said, I think that this sensationalization is not exclusive to trans or queer issues, and that it's part of a broader trend of "tabloidization" of the media. In some respects, it's kind of funny how people view transexuals as freaks, yet are completely unaware that many of us literally walk among them, unnoticed by society. I have plenty examples of this from my own personal experience!
rundmc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

While I am certainly aware of the "freakshow" undertones of 99% of stories about transgendered people, its in the news because most people dont understand it. Only in recent years are things of this nature being openly talked about. Its gonna make news, thats just how it is.

If stories like these are making people more aware of things like this, then good. We'll always have people looking for sideshow freaks, but we'll also have people that care.
GWARrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
VVET

VVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii View Post
Good for you.
I've spoken as a FA on 2 panels and once individually, still in the closet on TG mostly
VVET is offline   Reply With Quote