Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #251
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default 10'000 views

Before posting my next recipe, I would like to thank all those people who stepped by to view my thread. When I posted the "Cassoeula" recipe, I would have never expected to go this far. Thank you all.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #252
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thank you, Jigen, for an absolutely epic thread. When I sign on to this forum, this is the first thread that I check. Please keep on keeping on.

- Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #253
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I agree. I really enjoy this thread! Thank you!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #254
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Thank you, Jigen, for an absolutely epic thread. When I sign on to this forum, this is the first thread that I check. Please keep on keeping on.

- Jim
Thank you for supporting.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #255
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I agree. I really enjoy this thread! Thank you!
Thanks for your help on supporting my thread. If you want some custom recipes, don't be afraid to ask.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #256
Jigen

TROTA ALLA MUGNAIA (LOMBARDY)

To make an original recipe, the best trout should be the Salmo Cinerinus, the autochthonous species from Northern Italy.

Trout: 2 pounds
Butter: 4 ounces
Flour
Milk
Lemon juice: 1 lemon
Minced Parsley

PREPARATION:
- Clean, skin and wash the trout, strain them;
- Melt the butter in a pan, and skim it;
- Dip the trout fillets in the flour, strain it from the exceeding milk and pass it in the flour;
- Put them in the pan with the butter;
- Cook the trout for 4-5 minutes, low flame, on each side. Be careful not to break them while you turn them on the other side;
- Serve the trouts washed with the lemon juice and dusted with parsley.

ATTENTION: This recipe has several variations. Instead of trout, you can use soils, but even chicken or turkey breasts.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jigen; 03-10-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #257
Jigen

TROTA AL CARTOCCIO (LAZIO)

INGREDIENTS:
4 Trouts
Olive oil: 2 spoons
2 garlic cloves
Butter: 1,2 ounces
4 sage leaves
1 laurel leaf
1 lemon
White wine: 3 spoons
Salt
Pepper

PREPARATION:
- Eviscerate the trouts and wash them under current water;
- Let them strain;
- Sprinkle the butter on the fillets, salt and pepper;
- Mince the garlic, sage, laurel, wine lemon juice;
- Sprinkle it on the fish;
- Wrap the fishes in baking paper and close it;
- Place the packets on a baking pan;
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180C.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #258
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

^ looks delicious, I love fresh trout

P.S bonus points for "eviscerate"
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #259
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Speaking of evisceration.... My folks have been living on a lake for about 15 years and it's frequently stocked. Nearly every day during the summer my brothers would bring home freshly caught rainbow trout and perch and we'd clean it, lightly season it and throw it in the oven. When it was done, we'd stand at the oven, picking it clean before we could get it out of the tray....it still tasted of lake water. It was perfect and to this day I'll never forget the flavor.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #260
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Speaking of evisceration.... My folks have been living on a lake for about 15 years and it's frequently stocked. Nearly every day during the summer my brothers would bring home freshly caught rainbow trout and perch and we'd clean it, lightly season it and throw it in the oven. When it was done, we'd stand at the oven, picking it clean before we could get it out of the tray....it still tasted of lake water. It was perfect and to this day I'll never forget the flavor.
I have the same sensation with the smell of burning wood in a cold day, and the smell of fresh warm "Panini all'Olio" (I don't know if there's an English term for this kind of bread).
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #261
Jigen

MICHETTA (MILAN, LOMBARDY)

Also known as "Rosetta" (Small Rose) because of it shape, it is probably the most famous kind of Italian bread. It has very little breadcrumb inside, and has very crispy crust.

INGREDIENTS (4 PEOPLE):

- For the first dough -
Flour: 3,5 ounces
Water: 17 fl. oz.
Natural yeast: 0,3 ounces

- For the bread -
Flour: 7 ounces
Water: 3,4 fl. oz.
Malt: 0,3 ounces
Salt: 0,6 ounces

- Other -
Olive oil

PREPARATION
- In the mixer, mix the ingredients for the first dough for 8 minutes;
- Let it levitate for 15-20 hours at 20C;
- Add the ingredients for the second dough, and mix for 8 minutes;
- Let it levitate for 10 minutes at 21-22C;
- Form several balls of dough, oil them and let them rest 40 minutes, covered with a canvas;
- Impress a pentagon on the top of each ball, with cuts coming out from each vertex;
- Bake at 250C for 18 minutes.

ENJOY.

PAN E SALAMM

If you want to feel the real taste of typical Milan, you have to taste a Michetta with a good dose of original Salame Milano, toghether with a generous jar of red wine: Bonarda dell'Oltrep Pavese.

INGREDIENTS:
2 Michette
Salame Milano
Bonarda wine

PREPARATION:
- Cut the bread in half;
- Cut diagonally the salame in thin slices, as thin as you can;
- Stuff the Michetta with as muc salame as you wish. The more, the better.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #262
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
PANETTONE (MILAN, LOMBARDY)

My Mama has a dear friend that sends her one of these cakes every Christmas!
I'm going to print your recipe for her! She'll be super excited, because the cake only last a day or so before she's devoured it with her coffee!

I've made french toast with a slice of this...it was kinda perfect.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #263
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
My Mama has a dear friend that sends her one of these cakes every Christmas!
I'm going to print your recipe for her! She'll be super excited, because the cake only last a day or so before she's devoured it with her coffee!

I've made french toast with a slice of this...it was kinda perfect.
Glad you liked it.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #264
Jigen

SCIATT VALTELLINESI (SONDRIO, LOMBARDY)

INGREDIENTS (4 PEOPLE)
Buckwheat: 10,5 ounces
Flour: 7 ounces
Cheese: 10,5 ounces
Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
Salt
Lard

PREPARATION:
- Mix the Buckwheat and the Flour;
- Add water to obtain a soft dough;
- Dice the cheese and add;
- Work until the cheese starts to get thready;
- Let it rest 2 hours;
- Once you start frying, add to the dough the baking soda;
- Once the lard is hot, take a spoon of the dough and let it fall in the pan;
- Fry them and serve with some salad.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #265
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

Jigen,

This thread is amazing. You really do everyone here a wonderful service. If just a few people try a single recipe, it's worth it, it can change their whole perspective. There's something magical at work when people who otherwise might not try set to do anything creative. Seeing so many recipes laid-out this way, it just makes you want to do something!

By the way, for the Fagioli All'Uccenlletto (#256?), what sort of starch would you serve that with? Would anyone (in Italy) eat that over pasta? Or would people normally eat that alone, with some sides perhaps (potatoes & escarole)? I know it's probably not "authentic," but I would be tempted to try it over some basmati rice!
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #266
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Jigen,

This thread is amazing. You really do everyone here a wonderful service. If just a few people try a single recipe, it's worth it, it can change their whole perspective. There's something magical at work when people who otherwise might not try set to do anything creative. Seeing so many recipes laid-out this way, it just makes you want to do something!

By the way, for the Fagioli All'Uccenlletto (#256?), what sort of starch would you serve that with? Would anyone (in Italy) eat that over pasta? Or would people normally eat that alone, with some sides perhaps (potatoes & escarole)? I know it's probably not "authentic," but I would be tempted to try it over some basmati rice!
Thanks for the kind words. It's relieving that someone appreciate the work you are doing.
About the Fagioli all'uccelletto, they must be served as they are, without anything else. But thinking about it, you can probably add some boiled potatoes, sliced thin, because they go along pretty well with the tomatoes. You could try.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #267
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

And wine, of course...
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #268
Jigen

Quote:
And wine, of course...
Yes, red wine, from Tuscany would be the best. Chianti, perhaps.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #269
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Jigen,

We eat it over polenta.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #270
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post
We eat it over polenta.
Looks like a good alternative.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #271
Jigen

SWORDFISH, OLIVES AND CAPERS (CALABRIA)

INGREDIENTS (4 SERVINGS):
4 swordfish pieces
Tomatoes: 5 ounces
Olives: a dozen
Capers: 1 spoon
Red onion
Olive Oil

PREPARATION:
- Skin the onions and yellow them in the oil;
- Add the swordfish and cook for 10 minutes, 5 minutes on each side;
- Put the diced tomatoes, sliced olives and capers;
- Cook for 15 minutes, low flame.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #272
Jigen

RAVIOLI RICOTTA E SPINACI CON SUGO AL POMODORO (EMILIA-ROMAGNA)

INGREDIENTS (6 servings):
- DOUGH:
3 Eggs
White flour: 14 ounces
Water
Salt

STUFFING:
Ricotta: 10,5 ounces
Spinach: 3,5 ounces
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano: 1,7 ounces
Nutmeg
Salt

SAUCE:
San Marzano tomatoes: 2,5 pounds
8 Basil leaves
Olive oil
Salt

PREPARATION:
- Boil the spinaches, strain them and let them cool down in a bowl;
- Add an egg, ricotta and Parmigiano, salt and nutmeg (as much as you want), and mix;
- Let it rest in the frigde;
- To prepare the dough, make the fountain. Put inside eggs and salt;
- Whip the eggs and incorporate the flour;
- Work for 20 minutes to obtain a soft and smooth dough;
- Let it rest for 30 minutes;
- Cut the dough in half and stretch both halves;
- Take a spoonful of the stuffing and place it on one of the dough's halves;
- Cover the first half with the other one;
- Close the dough between the stuffing balls, so that you can close the Ravioli;
- Use a pebbled paste cutter to cut the ravioli of the same size;
- Prepare the sauce: cut the tomatoes in half and eliminate the stern and the seeds;
- Cook the tomatoes at low fire until they're mushy;
- Use a musher to mush the tomatoes;
- Put the sauce in a pot adding salt and oil;
- Let it cook at low flame, until you reach the desired consistance;
- Once the sauce is done, add the basil;
- Boil the Ravioli and strain them al dente;
- Add the sauce and serve covered with Parmigiano Reggiano.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #273
Jigen

SANGUINACCIO (NAPLES)

INGREDIENS

Swine blood: 1/2 liter
Milk: 8,5 fl oz
Bitter chocolate: 12,5 ounces
Potato starch: 1,2 ounces
Bitter cocoa: 1,8 ounces
Sugar: 17,5 ounces
Lemon skin, sliced but not grated (you'll have to take it out)
Candied cedar: 2,5 ounces
Pinenuts: 3,5 ounces
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Salt

PREPARATION:
- In a pot, melt statch and cocoa with a little warm milk;
- Once the compound is smooth and without lumps, add the blood with the rest of the milk and the lemon skin;
- Mix the compound and add the minced chocolate and the vanilla;
- Cook at low fire, and keep mixing;
- Once the compound starts reducing, take the lemon out and add cinnamon, cedar and pinenuts;

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #274
Jigen

CIAMMELLE A CANCELLU (MENTANA, LATIUM)

Mentana is a small town in Latium, 35 km from Rome (21 miles). This town si known because on November 3rd, 1867 Giuseppe Garibaldi's soldiers were defeated in the Battle of Mentana, against the Franco-papal troopers. After the Third War of Independence (1866) Italy gains control of Veneto, and feel legitimated to continue The conquer of Latium and Rome. Mentana slows down the conquer of the Papal State and its fusion to Italian terrirories. But Mentana is also famous for a tasty treats: the "ciammelle a cancellu". Enjoy.

INGREDIENTS
Flour: 6,5 pounds
4 eggs
Salt: 2,5 ounces
Anise: 1,7 ounces
A pinch of bicarbonate
Olive oil: 34 fl oz
Water: 25,5 fl oz
White wine: 8,5 fl oz

PREPARATION
- Mix water and wine;
- In a pot mix flour, eggs, salt, bicarbonate and anise;
- Mix, adding slowly the oil and the water/wine compound;
- Work the dough for 15 minutes to obtain a smooth compound;
- Take away a piece of dough, stretch it and obtain a circle;
- Stretch more pieces of dough, and create a grid on the previous circle, starting with a cross in the middle;
- Boil a pot of salted water, and boil the ciammelle until they start floating;
- Strain them and let it cool down on a canvas;
- Let it rest for 12 hours;
- Bake them 200C for 1 hour;

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #275
Jigen

GRISSINI TORINESI (TURIN, PIEDMONT)

Grissini are a typical bakery product we use as a substitute for bread. They are best used with salame, and ham. Cut thin slices and wrap them around the Grissini.

INGREDIENTS:
White flour: 1 pound
Yeast: 0,5 ounces
Water: 9 ounces
Salt: 1 coffee spoon
Olive oil

PREPARATION
- Mix the yeast, 1,8 ounces of flour and as much warm water to create a smooth dough;
- Let it rest for 1 hour;
- Add the rest of the flour, hot water, salt;
- Work the dough until it becomes hard and stretchy, and on its surface start to form small bubbles;
- Make a cylinder, and stretch it to form a rectangle (4 inches x 16 inches);
- Let it rest until it doubles in volume;
- Cut small slices from the short side of the dough, and streth them with your fingers;
- Oil an oven pan, and oil them;
- Let them levitate for 1 hour;
- Bake them at 200C, until they become goldened and crispy.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
italia, italian cooking, italy, pasta, pizza