Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #301
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

I would like to apologize to the followers in this thread. I've had some problems with my eyes and headache, and been busy with university, but a recent work I had to do for Medieval History gave me the chance to find some interesting things about medieval and Roman cooking. This is why I would like to post a couple of recipes I recently found in "De Re Rustica" ("On Agriculture"), written by Cicero (234-149 BC).

LIBUM (Cheese-flavoured bread)

INGREDIENTS:
Fresh cheese: 2 pounds
White flour: 1 pound

PREPARATION:
- Put the cheese in a mortier and whip it;
- Add the flour and mix to obtain a smooth dough;
- Cook in the oven, around 200°C, until the dough looks similar to bread.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #302
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Jigen, thank you for your wonderful recipes all year.

Buon Natale!!!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #303
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thank God you're back, Jigen. I hope your health problems get resolved. I'll be making the Cicero recipe this afternoon. - Jim
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #304
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Damn, Jigen. That was really good!

I had a chunk of Gruyère in the fridge what weighed 90 grams. I grated it as fine as I could and mixed it with 45 grams of flour and ground it in a mortar (I've got a really big mortar and pestle). It never formed a dough, but who knows what kind of cheese Cicero was referring to. I added enough water to make it the consistency of cookie dough and baked it in a 400 degree F (equivalent to 200 degrees C) for about 20 minutes.

It was crisp on the outside and gooie and cheesie on the inside. Next time we'll cut the dough into bite-sized pieces. We've got a friend who teaches classics at a local college: She would probably appreciate eating something from a Cicero recipe.

Y'all need to give this one a spin. You won't regret it. . .

- Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #305
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Jigen, thank you for your wonderful recipes all year.

Buon Natale!!!
You're welcome. Buon Natale anche a te.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #306
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Damn, Jigen. That was really good!

I had a chunk of Gruyère in the fridge what weighed 90 grams. I grated it as fine as I could and mixed it with 45 grams of flour and ground it in a mortar (I've got a really big mortar and pestle). It never formed a dough, but who knows what kind of cheese Cicero was referring to. I added enough water to make it the consistency of cookie dough and baked it in a 400 degree F (equivalent to 200 degrees C) for about 20 minutes.

It was crisp on the outside and gooie and cheesie on the inside. Next time we'll cut the dough into bite-sized pieces. We've got a friend who teaches classics at a local college: She would probably appreciate eating something from a Cicero recipe.

Y'all need to give this one a spin. You won't regret it. . .

- Jim
Good to hear that you liked it.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #307
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I really hope that you will keep this thread active, Jigen.

It's the best thread on this board ever, IMHO.

I've saved it and will keep bumping it until the mod's get tired of that.

Please keep the photo's and recipes coming.

You are awesome!

- Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #308
Jigen

Quote:
I really hope that you will keep this thread active, Jigen.

It's the best thread on this board ever, IMHO.

I've saved it and will keep bumping it until the mod's get tired of that.

Please keep the photo's and recipes coming.

You are awesome!

- Jim
Thank you. You are far too kind.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #309
Jigen

Here I am! I have a little time out of university, so I thought to post something more.

CAPONATA (SICILY)

INGREDIENTS:
10 aubergines
Tomato sauce: 1 bottle
Seed oil
Celery
Onion
Green olives: 10,5 ounces
Capers: 3 spoons
Salt
Pepper
Vinegar: 1 glass
Sugar: 2 spoons

PREPARATION:
- Wash the aubergines;
- Cut their extremities, and skin them;
- Dice the aubergines;
- Fry them in the oil;
- Strain them with absorbing paper;
- Clean the celery, cut the leaves, cut it in pieces and boil in salte water;
- In a pot, yellow the onion with olive oil, then add the olives, capers, and tomato sauce, adjust with salt and pepper, and let it cook for some minutes;
- Once the sauce is almost ready add the aubergines, and mix;
- Mix vinegar and sugar, then pour it in the sauce, and let it boil off.
- It is best if eaten cold.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #310
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh Jigen, I have missed you!

My nonna made caponata with raisins. This recipe I'm going to try but with raisins like nonna's!!!

Grazi!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #311
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Indeed! - Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #312
Jigen

Thanks, guys. I'm moved, really.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #313
Jigen

PASTIERA NAPOLETANA (NAPLES, CAMPANIA)
This is one of the most famous easter dishes in Italy. It's called "Pastiera". It has a lot of calories, but I can assure you that it is worthy.

INGREDIENTS:
- SHORT PASTRY
Flour: 17,6 ounces
Butter: 7 ounces
Sugar: 7 ounces
2 eggs
grated lemon skin
salt

- STUFFING
Cooked wheat: 14 ounces
Ricotta: 1 pound
Sugar: 14 ounces
2 eggs
Essence of orange blossoms
Candied citruses
Vanilla

PREPARATION:
- Create the short dough: Dice the softened butter;
- Mix the ingredients and work the dough for at least 10 minutes;
- Wrap the dough in cellophane paper, let it rest in the fridhe for 45 minutes:
- Prepare the stuffing mixing all the ingredients;
- Take an oven pan. Cover the internal sides with butter and flour, so that the pie won't stick;
- Take the short dough. Cut away a small part for the cover, stretch the dough and use it to cover the bottom of the pan;
- Fill the dough with the stuffing and level it with the sides of the cake;
- Stretch the dough left, and cut away some thin pieces, and place them on the top of the cake, to create a grid;
- Cook in the oven, 170°C for 1 hour.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #314
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

I just had that for Easter, fittingly enough! LOL

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #315
Jigen

Quote:
I just had that for Easter, fittingly enough! LOL
You liked it? I made it too for Easter dinner. It disappeared in 2 hours. Too bad it's almost 370 calories each 3,5 ounces.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #316
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
You liked it? I made it too for Easter dinner. It disappeared in 2 hours. Too bad it's almost 370 calories each 3,5 ounces.
Oh I eat it every Easter and I like it every Easter! LOL

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #317
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Remind me to join you for Easter next year. :9

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #318
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
Remind me to join you for Easter next year. :9
I will surely do it. ^^
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #319
Jigen

Quote:
I don't particularly like Pastiera, if I have to tell the truth. I find it too heavy to digest, but my relaties do, so I tried it this year. I am plamming to do something else for next year. Perhaps I'll try the Colomba.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #320
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Jigen, perhaps you can shed some light on a mystery to me and a few of my friends. My paternal grandmother was from near Naples, and my grandfather was from Calabri. My friend's parents were from Naples and Bari. My grandmother (Naples) put raisins in her meatloaf and her braciole. She's from the same area as my friend's mother, but my friend's mother never heard of raisins in dishes prepared with meat. Do you know anything about this?

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #321
Jigen

Quote:
Jigen, perhaps you can shed some light on a mystery to me and a few of my friends. My paternal grandmother was from near Naples, and my grandfather was from Calabri. My friend's parents were from Naples and Bari. My grandmother (Naples) put raisins in her meatloaf and her braciole. She's from the same area as my friend's mother, but my friend's mother never heard of raisins in dishes prepared with meat. Do you know anything about this?
I'ts because our housewives always used leftovers they had in their kitchens to cook, creating their own recipes (they didn't weigh the ingredients, neither) which often are different from one family to another. In Italy there are no canonized recipes before 1891, when Pellegrino Artusi wrote "la Scienza in Cucina e l'Arte di Mangiar Bene" ("Science in the kitchen and the Art of eating well"), in which he tried to find the common charachters of Italian national cooking.
My grandmother, for example, used bread leftovers to cook her bread cake, with everything she could find, from chocolate to bananas, and so on. Anything goes.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #322
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Default Insalata Caprese

Hey Jigen! Are you there?

Buffalo Mozzarella, fresh local tomatoes, and basil from my garden. When I serve it in a couple of hours, I'll dress it with a little EVOO.

- Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #323
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Hey Jigen! Are you there?

Buffalo Mozzarella, fresh local tomatoes, and basil from my garden. When I serve it in a couple of hours, I'll dress it with a little EVOO.

- Jim
Try balsamic vinegar instead. Even more amazing.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #324
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Ginny -

The balsamic vinegar was on the table. I didn't add it because it would have made brown spots on the cheese and messed up my presentation.

Actually, I just added sea salt and olive oil to mine. The flavors were too perfect to need anything else. The Mozzarella was 'mouth-melting' and you can guess what that Hanover tomato tasted like from the photo.

- Jim
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #325
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Ginny -

The balsamic vinegar was on the table. I didn't add it because it would have made brown spots on the cheese and messed up my presentation.

Actually, I just added sea salt and olive oil to mine. The flavors were too perfect to need anything else. The Mozzarella was 'mouth-melting' and you can guess what that Hanover tomato tasted like from the photo.

- Jim
Yeah I can drink balsamica, I love it so much, but for a caprese salad, olive oil and sea salt is my favorite too.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Tags
italia, italian cooking, italy, pasta, pizza