Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #376
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Made it last sunday, but mine is a secret recipe I won't unveil. This is the "standard" recipe for a nice Brasato.

BRASATO AL BAROLO (PIEMONTE)

INGREDIENTS
Bovine meat (chuch tender): 2,2 pounds
Barolo: 1 bottle
Celery: 2 branches
2 carrot
1 onion
Rosemary
3 Clovers
Garlic clove
Laurel: 2 leaves
Pepper
Cinnamon
Salt
Olive oil

PREPARATION:
- Dice the vegetables and spices;
- Put the wine in a large bowl and add vegetables and meat;
- Marinate for 24 hours;
- After 24 hours, warm some oil in a large pot and cook meat for 5 minutes for each side;
- Add wine and vegetables;
- Salt and let cook for 3 hour, low flame;
- Turn the meat every 15 minutes;
- Take out the meat, and let it cool down (once cold, you can slice it more easily);
- Use the kitchen robot, to mince the wine/vegetables compound, and obtain a smooth sauce;
- Cut the cold meat in thin slices (3 slice is a portion), and serve with a good portion of its sauce;
- Serve with polenta and mashed potatoes.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #377
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Following Agnieszka's recipe for a veganized recipe, I devided to post an old recipe for a nice vegan dish.

PASTA CON SUGO ALLE VERDURE

INGREDIENTS (6 people)
Short pasta: 1 pound
Onion: 2
Carrot: 2
Celery: 2
Olive oil
Tomato sauce: 1 bottle
Basil: 3-4 leaves
Courgettes: 4-5
Salt
Pepper

PREPARATION:
- Warm a little oil in a pan;
- Dice the vegetables (except the courgettes) finely, and yellow them;
- Cut the courgettes in small quarters and add them in the pan. Cook them for 5 minutes, turning then often;
- Add the tomato sauce and the sliced basil leaves. Cook, low flame, for 40 minutes;
- Cook the pasta AL DENTE;
- Strain the pasta, and mix with the hot sauce;
- Serve with grated cheese.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #378
azerty
Life is worth living

azerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Spaghetti, olive oil and garlic

My preferred pasta
salt (1 tablespoon + for the water)
1 pound of spaghetti
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, flat-leaves if possible
1/2 lemon zest
freshly grated parmigiano
a pinch of red pepper flakes

Preparation
Bring a pot of cold water to a boil, then salt it generously. Add the pasta, stirring from time to time. Cook until al dente : taste.

While the pasta cooks, mix the garlic, olive oil, the 1 teaspoon of salt, and the red pepper flakes in a large bowl, which can heat. Warm it over low, until the garlic turns golden.

After draining the pasta and put asside a 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta and the cooking water to the garlic mixture. Mix the lot. Add the parsley and lemon zest. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Transfer to a large serving bowl (warmed up before hand).
Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #379
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerty View Post
My preferred pasta
salt (1 tablespoon + for the water)
1 pound of spaghetti
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, flat-leaves if possible
1/2 lemon zest
freshly grated parmigiano
a pinch of red pepper flakes

Preparation
Bring a pot of cold water to a boil, then salt it generously. Add the pasta, stirring from time to time. Cook until al dente : taste.

While the pasta cooks, mix the garlic, olive oil, the 1 teaspoon of salt, and the red pepper flakes in a large bowl, which can heat. Warm it over low, until the garlic turns golden.

After draining the pasta and put asside a 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta and the cooking water to the garlic mixture. Mix the lot. Add the parsley and lemon zest. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Transfer to a large serving bowl (warmed up before hand).
Nice variation, Azerty. Aglio, olio e peperoncino. Just made it the other day. One thing I suggest, is to put some of the pasta water (1 glass) in the garlic pan. It will prevent the garlic from burning, and will make the sauce smoother. I saw it on TV the other day and tried it. I have to say, it works pretty well.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #380
azerty
Life is worth living

azerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
Nice variation, Azerty. Aglio, olio e peperoncino. Just made it the other day. One thing I suggest, is to put some of the pasta water (1 glass) in the garlic pan. It will prevent the garlic from burning, and will make the sauce smoother. I saw it on TV the other day and tried it. I have to say, it works pretty well.
Thank you Jigen, I'll try it soon, it sounds good. And thank you also for the suggestion
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #381
Jigen

Quote:
Thank you Jigen, I'll try it soon, it sounds good. And thank you also for the suggestion
You're welcome.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #382
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am so in love with this thread.

Sadly I have not taken the time to go through the entire thread, so you may have already posted this recipe, but I am wondering if you have a farsumagru recipe? It's an old family favorite, but I don't have a recipe. There are so many variations I've seen online, but none look quite like the dish I remember.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #383
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
I am so in love with this thread.

Sadly I have not taken the time to go through the entire thread, so you may have already posted this recipe, but I am wondering if you have a farsumagru recipe? It's an old family favorite, but I don't have a recipe. There are so many variations I've seen online, but none look quite like the dish I remember.
I admit, I never heard about this name. I'll search the recipe and post it as soon as possible.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #384
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Perhaps "falsomagro" might ring a bell? I was spelling it wrong.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #385
Jigen

Quote:
Perhaps "falsomagro" might ring a bell? I was spelling it wrong.
No, both versions were correct. The fact was, I never heard it. But I found the recipe in one of my books. So, here it is.

FARSUMAGRU (SICILY)

Veal topside (fesa): 1,5 pounds
Salame: 5 ounces
Ham: 7 ounces
Caciocavallo (stretched-curd cheese): 5 ounces
3 eggs
Parsley
Onion
Garlic
White wine
Meat broth
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

PREPARATION:
- Firm the eggs (5 minutes) then cut them in slices;
- Mince onions, a garlic clove, and a little parsley then yellow them in a little olive oil;
- Dice salame, ham, caciocavallo, and add them in the soffritto, and cook for 5 minutes;
- Stretch the veal, cover it with the compound, then wrap the meat so that the stuffing won't come out, and tie it firmly;
- In a pot, put some oil, minced onion, celery, carrot, parsley and make it yellow;
- Put the meat and brown it on each side;
- Add the wine, and cook it, low flame, for almost 1 hour, adding the broth when the wine vaporizes;
- Let it cool down and serve sliced in thin slices.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #386
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Following Agnieszka's recipe for a veganized recipe, I devided to post an old recipe for a nice vegan dish.

PASTA CON SUGO ALLE VERDURE

INGREDIENTS (6 people)
Short pasta: 1 pound
Onion: 2
Carrot: 2
Celery: 2
Olive oil
Basil: 3-4 leaves
Courgettes: 4-5
Salt
Pepper

PREPARATION:
- Warm a little oil in a pan;
- Dice the vegetables (except the courgettes) finely, and yellow them;
- Cut the courgettes in small quarters and add them in the pan. Cook them for 5 minutes, turning then often;
- Add the tomato sauce and the sliced basil leaves. Cook, low flame, for 40 minutes;
- Cook the pasta AL DENTE;
- Strain the pasta, and mix with the hot sauce;
- Serve with grated cheese.

ENJOY.
OMG, something vegan for me :-) and the veggies aren't boiled to death. I love you Jigen :*
agnieszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #387
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
No, both versions were correct. The fact was, I never heard it. But I found the recipe in one of my books. So, here it is.

FARSUMAGRU (SICILY)

Veal topside (fesa): 1,5 pounds
Salame: 5 ounces
Ham: 7 ounces
Caciocavallo (stretched-curd cheese): 5 ounces
3 eggs
Parsley
Onion
Garlic
White wine
Meat broth
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

PREPARATION:
- Firm the eggs (5 minutes) then cut them in slices;
- Mince onions, a garlic clove, and a little parsley then yellow them in a little olive oil;
- Dice salame, ham, caciocavallo, and add them in the soffritto, and cook for 5 minutes;
- Stretch the veal, cover it with the compound, then wrap the meat so that the stuffing won't come out, and tie it firmly;
- In a pot, put some oil, minced onion, celery, carrot, parsley and make it yellow;
- Put the meat and brown it on each side;
- Add the wine, and cook it, low flame, for almost 1 hour, adding the broth when the wine vaporizes;
- Let it cool down and serve sliced in thin slices.

ENJOY.
You rock, Jigen.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #388
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnieszka View Post
OMG, something vegan for me :-) and the veggies aren't boiled to death. I love you Jigen :*
Thanks. I'm blushing. If you want, I can add more. If you like hot peppers, I have a fast recipe: penne "all'arrabbiata". Here it is.

PENNE ALL'ARRABBIATA (ROME)

INGREDIENTS
Short pasta ("Penne" type)
Olive oil
Garlic
Hot peppers
Parsley
Salt

PREPARATION
- Warm the oil in a pan;
- Slice the garlic and minche the peppers, put them in the oil and yellow them for a few minutes without burning it;
- Cook the sauce for 30 minutes, low flame. In the meantime get the salted water to boil, and boil the pasta;
- Add the sauce and mix, adding some minced parsley.

If you want, you can add more hot pepper powder in your dish. Please, NO TABASCO SAUCE. Add Parmigiano, if you want.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #389
Jigen

Quote:
You rock, Jigen.
Thank you.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #390
azerty
Life is worth living

Quote:
Thanks. I'm blushing. If you want, I can add more. If you like hot peppers, I have a fast recipe: penne "all'arrabbiata". Here it is.

PENNE ALL'ARRABBIATA (ROME)

INGREDIENTS
Short pasta ("Penne" type)
Olive oil
Garlic
Hot peppers
Parsley
Salt

PREPARATION
- Warm the oil in a pan;
- Slice the garlic and minche the peppers, put them in the oil and yellow them for a few minutes without burning it;
- Cook the sauce for 30 minutes, low flame. In the meantime get the salted water to boil, and boil the pasta;
- Add the sauce and mix, adding some minced parsley.

If you want, you can add more hot pepper powder in your dish. Please, NO TABASCO SAUCE. Add Parmigiano, if you want.

ENJOY.
Lovely, I'll would like to have it for lunch, but no time to cook. Maybe on Saturday
Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #391
Jigen

Quote:
Lovely, I'll would like to have it for lunch, but no time to cook. Maybe on Saturday
Sure. Eventually, you can use some a 3 spoons of tomato paste, instead of sauce, of you have no time. Once you put the pasta in the boiling water, warm the oil in a pan, yellow garlic and hot peppers, and add the paste Use a small quantity of the pasta water to smooth it. Adjust it with salt. It's a good fast recipe for a single portion. I tried it myself, once.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #392
azerty
Life is worth living

Quote:
Sure. Eventually, you can use some a 3 spoons of tomato paste, instead of sauce, of you have no time. Once you put the pasta in the boiling water, warm the oil in a pan, yellow garlic and hot peppers, and add the paste Use a small quantity of the pasta water to smooth it. Adjust it with salt. It's a good fast recipe for a single portion. I tried it myself, once.
Thank you. I'll follow your advice. Are you working in a restaurant or are you like many Italians a naturally good cook ?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #393
Jigen

Quote:
Thank you. I'll follow your advice. Are you working in a restaurant or are you like many Italians a naturally good cook ?
I just like to cook and I have an interest in cooking history.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #394
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think there needs to be a new recipe thread titled "The Best of Jigen"
Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #395
Jigen

RÍSTI (TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE)

INGREDIENTS:
3 big potatoes
Flour: 1 spoon
1 Onion
A small quantity of butter

PREPARATION:
- Skin the potatoes and grate them raw;
- Mince the onions;
- Mix them and drain it in a canvas;
- Add the flour and manipulate to obtain a smoot dough;
- Divide the compound in small balls, and give them a disc-shaped appearance;
- Melt the butter in a pan;
- Cook the Rosti until they are golden.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #396
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

and that is for lunch for today :-) (except butter)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #397
Jigen

Quote:
and that is for lunch for today :-) (except butter)
Right. You reminded me one thing: for lighter dishes, you can change butter with the same quantity of olive oil. Not for any dish, but from now on, I'll add the substitution if possible. Thanks, Agnieszka.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #398
agnieszka

Quote:
Right. You reminded me one thing: for lighter dishes, you can change butter with the same quantity of olive oil. Not for any dish, but from now on, I'll add the substitution if possible. Thanks, Agnieszka.
No, don't do that Jigen :-) butter adds a brilliant taste and since I am vegan and cannot use it- sunflower oil does the job(tho it does not taste quite the same) ;-)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #399
Jigen

Quote:
No, don't do that Jigen :-) butter adds a brilliant taste and since I am vegan and cannot use it- sunflower oil does the job(tho it does not taste quite the same) ;-)
Right.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #400
azerty
Life is worth living

Jigen, what is the traditionnal Italian dish for Christmas ?

Tags
italia, italian cooking, italy, pasta, pizza