Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #401
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Traditional Italian Christmas Eve fare is the feast of seven fishes. In some cases it's not fish at all, such as octopus.

Edit: my apologies, this is a Sicilian tradition.

Last edited by Dromond; 12-19-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #402
azerty
Life is worth living

azerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Traditional Italian Christmas Eve fare is the feast of seven fishes. In some cases it's not fish at all, such as octopus.

Thank you. So I guess there may be several traditionnel Christmas meals in Italy
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #403
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I was a child we would do 12 fish/seafood on the Polish side of my family and then go across the street to my Nonna's and do the seven Italian.

NO WONDER I'M FAT! LOL But.....it was all on good healthy food.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #404
azerty
Life is worth living

azerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging inazerty makes people happy simply by logging in

That's funny, I always thought Christmas main food was meat.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #405
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In Italy, you're never very far from a coast. Fish is big in authentic Italian peasant cuisine. Meat was for the more well off folks.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #406
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerty View Post
That's funny, I always thought Christmas main food was meat.
Christmas Eve dinner was fish and seafood, eating very late, then wait at least an hour and go to midnight Mass. Christmas Day was meat and....well....everything else.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #407
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

Quote:
Thank you. So I guess there may be several traditionnel Christmas meals in Italy
Correct! Just to give an idea…this are the typical christmas desserts for each region…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEM_531_secondoBlocco.jpg (120.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #408
azerty
Life is worth living

I'd love to spend Christmas in Italy then
Old 12-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #409
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
When I was a child we would do 12 fish/seafood on the Polish side of my family and then go across the street to my Nonna's and do the seven Italian.

12 dishes need to be on a Polish Christmas Eve dinner table (fish and veggies only, no meat allowed) :-)
agnieszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #410
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnieszka View Post
12 dishes need to be on a Polish Christmas Eve dinner table (fish and veggies only, no meat allowed) :-)
Yes, that's what I said. Wasn't it?

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #411
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

it indeed is :-)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #412
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Jigen, what is the traditionnal Italian dish for Christmas ?
There isn't one. It can change a lot from region to region. The most famous ones are Panettone (Milan), Pandoro (Verona), Struffoli (Naples). But there are so many typical dishes that I don't even know how many.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #413
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:

In Northen Italy usually we never ate more than 4 courses hors-d'ouvres, roasted meat with potatoes, salad, and of course Panettone and Pandoro.^^ The fact is, not many families are willing to cook for an army on a vacation day.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #414
Jigen

Quote:

I always made just 4 courses in total. But we eat across the whole day. Once, I made 5, because we served Linguine all'astice (clawless lobster) at 4 PM, and roasted meat at 6 PM, more or less, to take our time to digest.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #415
Jigen

Quote:
In Italy, you're never very far from a coast. Fish is big in authentic Italian peasant cuisine. Meat was for the more well off folks.
It depends. In Lombardy, we prefer Brasato. Sometimes, we can serve meat AND river fishes, such as trouts.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #416
Jigen

Quote:
12 dishes are too many. I could barely manage 5 dishes when I ate to the restaurant on Christmas.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #417
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckee View Post
Correct! Just to give an idea…this are the typical christmas desserts for each region…
Cool. I like this. Thanks. I'm surprised. I didn't know they were so many. And they're only one for Region.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jigen; 12-23-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #418
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
12 dishes are too many. I could barely manage 5 dishes when I ate to the restaurant on Christmas.
Blasphemy, Jigen! No such thing as too many. Polish food is wonderful--too much is not enough! LOL

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #419
azerty
Life is worth living

Quote:
There isn't one. It can change a lot from region to region. The most famous ones are Panettone (Milan), Pandoro (Verona), Struffoli (Naples). But there are so many typical dishes that I don't even know how many.
I've tasted panettone and pandoro this year. They are so good I nearly had the two in one go. Lol
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #420
Jigen

Just in case you had some sparkling wine to finish after new year's party. This can be eaten by vegans, if you skip the "mantecatura" part.

RISOTTO ALLO SPUMANTE

INGREDIENTS:
Rice: 1 pound
Sparkling wine: 1/2 bottle
Vegetable broth: 16 fl oz
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Onion
MANTECATURA: Butter and Parmigiano

PREPARATION:
- Warm the oil in a pan;
- Dice the onion in very small pieces and yellow it in the oil;
- Toast the rice for 5 minutes, low flame, turning it often;
- Add the sparkling wine, and let it dry out;
- Add the broth, and let it cook, low flame, for 20-30 minutes. It depends on how soft you like the rice;
- MANTECATURA: Once the rice is ready, turn the flame off and add butter and Parmigiano, turning the rice until they are completely incorporated. And that it's a mantecatura.

ENJOY.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #421
Jigen

Quote:
Blasphemy, Jigen! No such thing as too many. Polish food is wonderful--too much is not enough! LOL
I never tried anything Polish. Guess I should hunt for some recipes on the net and try.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #422
agnieszka

Quote:
treat it as a sampling/tasting menu then (and that is what people do). One of the common believes is that you need to at least try all of the dishes to have a good New Year (and when you think that everything on the table counts- sides, bread, cakes and traditional dried fruit compote, then it really isn't that much) :-)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #423
agnieszka

Quote:
I never tried anything Polish. Guess I should hunt for some recipes on the net and try.
give me a shout when you find something interesting :-)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #424
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Just in case you had some sparkling wine to finish after new year's party. This can be eaten by vegans, if you skip the "mantecatura" part.

RISOTTO ALLO SPUMANTE

INGREDIENTS:
Rice: 1 pound
Sparkling wine: 1/2 bottle
Vegetable broth: 16 fl oz
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Onion
MANTECATURA: Butter and Parmigiano

PREPARATION:
- Warm the oil in a pan;
- Dice the onion in very small pieces and yellow it in the oil;
- Toast the rice for 5 minutes, low flame, turning it often;
- Add the sparkling wine, and let it dry out;
- Add the broth, and let it cook, low flame, for 20-30 minutes. It depends on how soft you like the rice;
- MANTECATURA: Once the rice is ready, turn the flame off and add butter and Parmigiano, turning the rice until they are completely incorporated. And that it's a mantecatura.

ENJOY.
I would rather not skip the mantecaturan part.

It's a little known fact that the word 'vegan' is derived from a Native American term that means 'shitty hunter'.

(Would I lie to you? )
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #425
Jigen

Quote:
give me a shout when you find something interesting :-)
I already did. Borsch soup. I just have some beetroots to finish.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
italia, italian cooking, italy, pasta, pizza