Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Socrates

Socrates has said some nice things
Default So Many Texans!

Wow! I never realized how many fellow Texans are on this board. I'm a firm believer that Austin is Foodee heaven. We have three chefs who, in the last few years, were named one of the best new chefs in America by Food and Wine Magazine. I think the only way to find that many great cooks in such a small area is to go to Napa Valley (where I senpt my foodee honeymoon a few years back). Now how 'bout those Astros?
- Socrates
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Jeannie
Connect the dots

Jeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 club

Those damn Astros!! They HAD that game. I was jumping up and down, hootin and hollerin like crazy when they scored those 3 runs. The person I was watching with said you'll be sorry if you think they have this game in the bag. She said she had been through it too many times with them. I called her a pessimist! Turns out she was so very right. What a bummer that game turned out to be.

I can't wait for tomorrow night though!! This will be the year! I have tickets to a play so I'm going to have to TIVO it. Thank goodness for TIVO!

I lived in Texas for about 34 years. The thing I miss the most is the food. By far it's the food. I've lived in several places since I left Texas and nothing even comes close.
Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Perhaps it is foodee heaven if you are a thin chick. I find Austin to be the most fat unfriendly place I have ever lived by far though. And I have lived in several places.
moonvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Deidrababe
Easy, Breezie, Deidrababe

Deidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this board

Well, my husband is from TX originally, and I LOVE it when we go there to visit for all the wonderful food. I can see why they say Texans are the fattest people - LOL - I would probably weigh about 750 lbs. if I lived in TX and I'm NOT kidding!

Shipply's Donuts
Whataburger
Sonic (Cheese Tater Tots and Pancake on a Stick - OH MY!)
Jack in the Box
All the GREAT Mexican Food
THE BEST Chicken Fried Steak

I could go on, but I'm sure you understand.

WHY Oh WHY is the Northeast so deprived of good fast food! McDonalds, BK,
KFC, Taco Bell & Wendys- that's all we have. zzzzzzz.....BORING!

Deeds

Want to know more about me? Read my blog! Come Check out my Facebook Page or My Myspace page! Want MORE Deidra all around? Come to my Yahoo Site! ALL FREE!

Deidra's MySpace Page

Deidra's Facebook Page

Deidrababe's Big Belly Paradise
Deidrababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah, Austin is different in a lot of ways than the rest of Texas, some good and some bad. Houston and San Antonio are always among the fattest cities in the U.S. and Austin is among the thinnest. It is also the only blue area in Texas - all the other parts are Republican strongholds. Sonic is in a lot of places. I thought it was everywhere. It is spreading fast so I expect it'll make it up north eventually

I think Jack in the Box is just dog awful though. Ugh!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
Deidrababe
Easy, Breezie, Deidrababe

Deidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvine
Yeah, Austin is different in a lot of ways than the rest of Texas, some good and some bad. Houston and San Antonio are always among the fattest cities in the U.S. and Austin is among the thinnest. It is also the only blue area in Texas - all the other parts are Republican strongholds. Sonic is in a lot of places. I thought it was everywhere. It is spreading fast so I expect it'll make it up north eventually

I think Jack in the Box is just dog awful though. Ugh!

I would be soooooooo happy if Sonic would come north! Probably they won't because of the weather.....you can't have girls coming outside int 4 feet of snow to bring you Tater Tots....I think that would just be wrong! LOL......

Want to know more about me? Read my blog! Come Check out my Facebook Page or My Myspace page! Want MORE Deidra all around? Come to my Yahoo Site! ALL FREE!

Deidra's MySpace Page

Deidra's Facebook Page

Deidrababe's Big Belly Paradise
Deidrababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
blueeyedevie

blueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot pics

Well living in Louisiana and sharing a bridge with Texas, we go over the boarder quite a bit. Also we love dallas.. Ok so my friends love Dallas, I like the hotels. Dallas is so unkind for fat people. There is all these great food places to eat and no way in hell we can get to them.. IN less we can haul our big bottoms the five to six blocks it takes sometimes to get there.. Ever where my friends wanted to eat in Dallas there was a parking garage and blocks to walk.. Then the second problem the bars(which I don't drink but my friends do) , and I would have liked to have gone dancing, However I would have been dead before I even got there much less have engery to dance.... ALL stuck down in a no parking area.. GIGGLES I thought Texas was made for everything bigger..
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default So Many Restaurants

I found an interesting site tonight. Money.com: lists how many restaurants there are in each city. http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive

Austin has 2,776 within 15 miles, and the best places have an average of 3,743. Locally, Little Rock has a paltry 1,199, but some places have an amazing 6,668. Hard to see how they maintain their figures there

Last edited by Gordo Mejor; 10-18-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Gordo Mejor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidrababe
I would be soooooooo happy if Sonic would come north! Probably they won't because of the weather.....you can't have girls coming outside int 4 feet of snow to bring you Tater Tots....I think that would just be wrong! LOL......
They have Sonics here in Colorado, and the girls bring your food out wearing parkas if necessary. They're open all year.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
LOL - I would probably weigh about 750 lbs. if I lived in TX and I'm NOT kidding!

Shipply's Donuts
Whataburger
Jack in the Box

My Queendom for a good Chicken Fried Steak, real cream gravy, fried okra, mashed potatos, corn bread..........Snifff I Miss it
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

One of the things I love so much about living inside the city of Houston is that there are wonderful little independently owned restaurants all over the place. And with all the diversity of cultures and lifestyles here, you can find just about any type of cuisine in just about any price range.

We rarely cook at home since there are so many choices. Many of the family owned places are very reasonably priced and prepare very fresh and wholesome food. It's just easier and not much more expensive for us to dine out than bother cooking at home.

Tracy
Tracyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Jeannie
Connect the dots

Jeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Well, my husband is from TX originally, and I LOVE it when we go there to visit for all the wonderful food. I can see why they say Texans are the fattest people - LOL - I would probably weigh about 750 lbs. if I lived in TX and I'm NOT kidding!

Shipply's Donuts
Whataburger
Jack in the Box

I could go on, but I'm sure you understand.

WHY Oh WHY is the Northeast so deprived of good fast food! McDonalds, BK,
KFC, Taco Bell & Wendys- that's all we have. zzzzzzz.....BORING!

Deeds
I was raised on Shipley's donuts. A very fond memory of my childhood is of my dad driving down early every Sunday morning and bringing us back a dozen warm glazed donuts and a bag of holes. I looked forward to that every weekend. I hear they also make good pillows! A friend of mine got really stoned one day and bought a bunch of Shipley's for his munchies. He sat in the parking lot and ate them until he passed out. He woke up to find a donut stuck to the side of his face. Apparently the goofball used it for a pillow.

I tried to get a pancake on stick at Sonic just a few days ago. They have discontinued it! That was about the only thing I liked there besides the awesome Sonic sunrise and the Extreme Tots.

We didn't have Sonic or Whataburger in southwest Houston. We had a Jack in the Box though and it was practically the only food my brother would eat for years. Ironic that he is now a spectacular chef.

I agree with the you about the best Chicken Fried steaks and Mexican food, but hands down for me is the Texas barbeque. Out of this world Brisket in Texas and I miss it dearly.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 AM   #13
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Don't Forget the Purple Cow

They have great hamburgers and legendary chocolate shakes.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #14
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess
My Queendom for a good Chicken Fried Steak, real cream gravy, fried okra, mashed potatos, corn bread..........Snifff I Miss it
You can't get that stuff in Alabama? I always could when I lived there!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
Socrates

I'll take Dirty's or Sandy's over Sonic any day. Next time you're in Austin check 'em out!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:21 AM   #16
Socrates

Quote:
Perhaps it is foodee heaven if you are a thin chick. I find Austin to be the most fat unfriendly place I have ever lived by far though. And I have lived in several places.
Sorry to hear that you think Austin is fat-unfriendly. That hasn't been my experince at all! Perhaps its becuase I'm in Southern-Fried South Austin... I stay away from the skinny sorority types!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #17
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
Sorry to hear that you think Austin is fat-unfriendly. That hasn't been my experince at all! Perhaps its becuase I'm in Southern-Fried South Austin... I stay away from the skinny sorority types!
My experience here has been horrible. I tried and tried (and tried) when I first got here to uncover a fat dating scene, but there really isn't one (there is a fat sex scene, but that isn't what I am looking for at all). I have been living here for close to 7 years now (and I live in South Austin and always have, by the way - it is pretty rare for me to travel north of the river). I tried starting a fat social group, but there was little to no interest and I've pretty much given up on it after several years of concentrated effort. I go to NAAFA meetings, but it is unusual for there to be more than 5 people there (and it is the Austin/San Antonio chapter, too) On the rare occasions I have a date (generally about one per year) it is with someone from Houston or Dallas. I do love Houston, but unfortunately my job is here. Other than the lack of any sort of a romantic life whatsoever, Austin has many good qualities, but I'd really like to have more than one date a year. That isn't asking for too much, I don't think.

Sorry for going so off topic. Just 7 years of frustration building up
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #18
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Jeannie, there is most certainly Sonic and Whataburger in Southwest Houston now. (We live near Houston Baptist University and can get to 3 Whataburgers and 2 Sonics in ten minutes or less.)

I like Sonic because the iced tea is almost always fresh, you can get orange juice over ice, a 44 ounce ice water _cheap_ when all you are is hot and thirsty, and at one of the Sonics in my neighborhood, you can buy bags of the ice. (People LOVE to crunch on the ice from Sonic. I call it "crispy ice".) I really can't eat most deep fried food without getting heartburn now, so I stick to cold drinks at Sonic since they discontinued the grilled cheese and BLT (which is sad, because they made one HELL of a BLT).

Shipley's makes the only donuts I will eat. I grew up with a Shipley's within walking distance of my house in North Houston. Butterfly rolls are my favorite, hot fresh plain glazed a close runner-up. I have tried other donuts, and none compare to Shipley's. I'm such a Shipley's snob that I will just pass on anything else.

Tracy
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

I have never tried or even heard of Shipley's - are they in Austin? But I am not a big doughnut fan.

I keep meaning to go to Katz's deli, but haven't yet.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #20
Jeannie
Connect the dots

Quote:
Jeannie, there is most certainly Sonic and Whataburger in Southwest Houston now.
I figured there would be. I haven't lived in Houston since 1988 and I haven't lived in Southwest Houston since 1975! There may have been whataburgers and sonics somewhere in Houston before 1988 but they weren't on my radar at all. I remember eating at a Whataburger in Oklahoma in the 60's and we threw the food away. We dubbed it catfood-burger and never went back. Still haven't to this day. I'm pretty much a burger snob though.

Tracy, I love reading your posts. I especially enjoy reading them when you talk about Houston. It's the only time I ever feel a little homesick though. I really miss the great restaurants. Say, is the Hobbit Hole off Shepard & Vermont still around?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #21
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
You can't get that stuff in Alabama? I always could when I lived there!
You can get it but it is not TX chicken fried steak.. not sure what is wrong but I know the gravy is not right........... horror of horrors they even served me BROWN gravy once We used to have this little place that served everything family style, just big plates of everything, and the CFS was just perfect... sigh that is my yardstick...
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #22
Socrates

Quote:
You can get it but it is not TX chicken fried steak.. not sure what is wrong but I know the gravy is not right........... horror of horrors they even served me BROWN gravy once We used to have this little place that served everything family style, just big plates of everything, and the CFS was just perfect... sigh that is my yardstick...

My policy is to avoid any place that calls itself a "family restaurant". Its often synonomus for Sysco brand slop...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #23
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
OMG I love brown gravy, and could almost never find any in Alabama. I don't like cream gravy at all.....I don't want to confuse people by asking for brown gravy so I usually just ask for the gravy to be left off...

Mmmmm, brown gravy.

I know, I am weird, and a heretic, and stuff.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #24
Tracyarts

Jeannie,

yes, the Hobbit Hole is still around, but moved to a new location (on Richmond) and is now called The Hobbit Cafe'. (I'm thinking you remember it from when it was on Shepherd).

Same great menu, same funky atmosphere and Tolkein themed posters and other decor. Now it's in what used to be an old house. DH and I went not too long ago and the place was packed and doing really good business. I thought they had just closed down years ago, but they had simply moved. I'm glad they're still around, because they have some really good food and it's a really fun place to go.

Baba Yaga's, Riva's, Niko-Niko's, Chapultapec's, Hunan Dragon, Hobbit Cafe', and so many other great places to eat in that neighborhood.

Tracy
Old 10-21-2005, 05:43 AM   #25
Jeannie
Connect the dots

Thanks Tracy, that's good to know! I loved the Hobbit Hole. I'm glad to hear they haven't changed their menu or atmosphere much. When I was a teenager, it was just a few blocks from my house and we went there all the time. Now that I know where to look, I'll be paying them a visit next time I'm in Houston.