Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
GutsGirl

GutsGirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGutsGirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGutsGirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default What and who is a BBW?

I apologize if this is a question that has been asked before in other threads. I did a search for it but nothing came up.

Anyway, I was doing some philosophical musing on this question, and was wondering, "What exactly makes a BBW a BBW?" I started wondering if there was a certain weight that had to be reached, a certain look that had to be achieved, and then I started wondering about it further....

Is it a state of mind? If a woman who is 'overweight', perhaps from 20-30 pounds to 100 or more pounds, looks at herself and thinks, "I am a BBW", and reclaims her self-image at least partially through that term, is she a BBW? Is she a BBW because she says she is and identifies as such, or because others say she is and refer to her as that?

Conversely, if a large woman does not see herself as beautiful and sexually desirable, is she still somehow a BBW, or is that "beautiful" in the term BBW just waiting to come out and be expressed in how she feels about herself if she changes her mind about how she views her body?

What is this name of Big Beautiful Woman and how does it define you and your self-image? Have you had a journey of hating or at best being neutral towards your body and then coming to love it, and if so, how did this happen?
GutsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

You're a BBW if you choose to identify yourself as such. A certain look or weight doesn't need to be achieved in order to own that word as part of your identity. In this particular fat community, I have been referred to as "hardly BBW" and that stings. My fat experience isn't any lesser because I'm in the low 200s range. I've broken furniture because of my weight. I've most certainly been treated differently because of my weight.

Just yesterday a lady came up to me and asked me when I was due. I'm not offended that she thought I was pregnant. I can see why she's made that mistake. My belly is the most prominent part of my body. But what really pisses me off? When I told her I wasn't pregnant, she proceeded to rub my belly, apologize, and tell me she's fat too. It's like really?!? You're a stranger. Don't touch me.

I went off-tangent there, but anyways... beauty is subjective. Just because a woman does not see herself as beautiful, doesn't mean she isn't beautiful at all.
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ideally, i think a BBW is someone who happens to be fat, whatever her notion of that is, and feels beautiful confident and comfortable in that role and isn't afraid or ashamed to show it. if she is a woman who hates herself that way then she is an LBW (little beautiful woman) in waiting. thats okay too. its my personal belief that a woman is beautiful at any size but she has to be ready to claim that. she has to accept that she is beautiful but not in the popular media sense of the word. not only that, she needs to exude that she has a sense of herself no matter who is looking or where she is. she is a woman who truly loves herself. if a woman isn't there yet it doesn't mean she is excluded. she is a woman becoming. and, as we know the journey is the thing.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am a big beautiful woman because I say so. If a woman allows a man or the mass culture to define her, she is in big trouble. Mass culture defines women whether fat or thin as lacking so that women can feel inferior and try to remedy that by engaging in retail therapy. Mass culture defines any woman over 35 as old and unattractive, again, inspiring fear in women about their looks. The only one who wins this game in America is a 20 year old for about 15 minutes she is allowed to feel worthy. I am beautiful and fat enough. If the whole world disagreed with that statement, I do not give a shit.

Queen Elizabeth I residing within.

If I continue to eat I will grow as big as a room.
"What are rooms for?":bow:
katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Bafta1

Bafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine22 View Post
I am a big beautiful woman because I say so. If a woman allows a man or the mass culture to define her, she is in big trouble. Mass culture defines women whether fat or thin as lacking so that women can feel inferior and try to remedy that by engaging in retail therapy. Mass culture defines any woman over 35 as old and unattractive, again, inspiring fear in women about their looks. The only one who wins this game in America is a 20 year old for about 15 minutes she is allowed to feel worthy. I am beautiful and fat enough. If the whole world disagreed with that statement, I do not give a shit.
Wonderful post! You might like Foucault on the female body... He basically says that the media construction of the perfect feminine form is a method of control designed to direct the individual's attention inwards, away from stuff that's too political... Thinness is a conspiracy!!!!
Bafta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafta1 View Post
Wonderful post! You might like Foucault on the female body... He basically says that the media construction of the perfect feminine form is a method of control designed to direct the individual's attention inwards, away from stuff that's too political... Thinness is a conspiracy!!!!
Thanks for your compliment, I am a big fan of Foucault. I am reading his treatise on mental illness.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well... fat...thin...somewhere in between...the female form has always been dissected and control of it has always been desireable, so women do not become too involved in the politics of what runs this planet. It was no different when a larger female form was in vogue.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

also i'd like to add that i think a true BBW is one who isn't afraid to take the power to shape and define her own life herself. she doesn't rely on victimhood etc.. as an excuse for why her life isn't where she thinks it should be. she is a brave soldier who isn't afraid to face the world head on and get what she wants out of it no matter what. she is aspirational and celebratory. she doesn't lay down and cry when someone calls her fat. instead she holds her head high, smiles and says thankyou. there is a big difference between a BBW and simply a fat woman and it has nothing to do with size.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine22 View Post
You're right about mass culture defining us, but that is the sticky widget isn't it. So many women go by what their culture says, and it's kind of hard not to. What pisses me off is that in the fashion industry a size 12 is plus sized when it's average. Something average shouldn't be considered outside the norm. We should do away with things like vanity sizing and just go by actual inches. It would be easier to find clothes. I think too we should all get sewing classes in high school so that sewing something that fits isn't a huge challenge for most folks, but if having a class like that means a return to the notion that domestic work is only for females, then forget it.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
katherine22

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
also i'd like to add that i think a true BBW is one who isn't afraid to take the power to shape and define her own life herself. she doesn't rely on victimhood etc.. as an excuse for why her life isn't where she thinks it should be. she is a brave soldier who isn't afraid to face the world head on and get what she wants out of it no matter what. she is aspirational and celebratory. she doesn't lay down and cry when someone calls her fat. instead she holds her head high, smiles and says thankyou. there is a big difference between a BBW and simply a fat woman and it has nothing to do with size.
You are right- feeling beautiful is a state of mind.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I hate the term BBW. I really do. I don't mind it as much when people inside the community use it, because I know they do lovingly and as a way to quickly communicate an idea. However, I would never use this term to describe myself out of this community. It sounds too much like a euphemism for my tastes. Definition of euphemism from Dictionary.com - the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. I don't need a indirect, mild, vague expression to say I'm fat because fat isn't a four letter word. It shouldn't be offensive.. it shouldn't be harsh. It's just a descriptor. It's what I am. I'm reclaiming it.

I don't form an identity through being a BBW but rather through being a fat girl.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
You're right about mass culture defining us, but that is the sticky widget isn't it. So many women go by what their culture says, and it's kind of hard not to. What pisses me off is that in the fashion industry a size 12 is plus sized when it's average. Something average shouldn't be considered outside the norm. We should do away with things like vanity sizing and just go by actual inches. It would be easier to find clothes. I think too we should all get sewing classes in high school so that sewing something that fits isn't a huge challenge for most folks, but if having a class like that means a return to the notion that domestic work is only for females, then forget it.
i think your exactly right. i feel its going to be hard if we can't convince people that they don't have to exist through the minds of other people--especially people who act as though thier opinions count more than they do. a lot of people who are commentators in the fashion industry and are given media are complete and utter fakes who are out of touch with how real people feel or think. they are the same kind of people who thought someone like Obama couldn't win. they think that people never learn or evolve and that they can continue to take advantage.

i think most people are pretty positive when they see a fat person looking good and cared for even if it isn't thier thing per say. its a shame that a lot of BBWs don't feel that is true and give up. or sometimes BBWs just feel rebellious because they feel thier attempts to get the approval of other people haven't met with support and openess. but its not so much about other people's approval but mainly showing that we already approve of ourselves and thier attacks won't work anymore. we feel proud and aren't afraid to show it on the outside. but it would be hard to feel that way if you thought that you were only opening yourself up to being bombarded and abused. we just need to figure out how not to give these people so much power over us. they definitely don't have it on thier own. we give it to them. most american women are over a size 12 but we are still buying from and listenig to these jerks.

its a great idea to start sewing. we can get what we want. talented women can even support themselves making real clothing for other real women that real women look good in. and if enough also take money out of the existing marketplace by doing so people will notice in thier lack of sales. that should get a lot of attention. when money talks bullshit walks. who cares what people think about a woman's place and a man's place? i think its time that women stop worrying about that since we have way more economic, social power and awareness than we used to have and will be getting more. we need to start thinking like we are winners and just do what we want to do, like we have a right to it --because we do! until we do that no one will pay real women any attention. they won.t need to. they'll just keep trading on our insecurities and emotional scars.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I hate the term BBW. I really do. I don't mind it as much when people inside the community use it, because I know they do lovingly and as a way to quickly communicate an idea. However, I would never use this term to describe myself out of this community. It sounds too much like a euphemism for my tastes. Definition of euphemism from Dictionary.com - the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. I don't need a indirect, mild, vague expression to say I'm fat because fat isn't a four letter word. It shouldn't be offensive.. it shouldn't be harsh. It's just a descriptor. It's what I am. I'm reclaiming it.

I don't form an identity through being a BBW but rather through being a fat girl.
yeah i also think its empowering not to be afraid of the fat. i feel the same. i also love BBW or SSBBW inside the community but i hate it when its used in society like some kind of consolation prize. its as thought they are being paternalistic and saying "you aren't really beautiful but we'll just pretend to make you feel better" which is a big lie.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
cherrycupcake

cherrycupcake has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post

im the exact same. i dont really see myself as a "bbw" im a fat girl
cherrycupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
i think your exactly right. i feel its going to be hard if we can't convince people that they don't have to exist through the minds of other people--especially people who act as though thier opinions count more than they do. a lot of people who are commentators in the fashion industry and are given media are complete and utter fakes who are out of touch with how real people feel or think. they are the same kind of people who thought someone like Obama couldn't win. they think that people never learn or evolve and that they can continue to take advantage.

i think most people are pretty positive when they see a fat person looking good and cared for even if it isn't thier thing per say. its a shame that a lot of BBWs don't feel that is true and give up. or sometimes BBWs just feel rebellious because they feel thier attempts to get the approval of other people haven't met with support and openess. but its not so much about other people's approval but mainly showing that we already approve of ourselves and thier attacks won't work anymore. we feel proud and aren't afraid to show it on the outside. but it would be hard to feel that way if you thought that you were only opening yourself up to being bombarded and abused. we just need to figure out how not to give these people so much power over us. they definitely don't have it on thier own. we give it to them. most american women are over a size 12 but we are still buying from and listenig to these jerks.

its a great idea to start sewing. we can get what we want. talented women can even support themselves making real clothing for other real women that real women look good in. and if enough also take money out of the existing marketplace by doing so people will notice in thier lack of sales. that should get a lot of attention. when money talks bullshit walks. who cares what people think about a woman's place and a man's place? i think its time that women stop worrying about that since we have way more economic, social power and awareness than we used to have and will be getting more. we need to start thinking like we are winners and just do what we want to do, like we have a right to it --because we do! until we do that no one will pay real women any attention. they won.t need to. they'll just keep trading on our insecurities and emotional scars.
Very well put.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
yeah i also think its empowering not to be afraid of the fat. i feel the same. i also love BBW or SSBBW inside the community but i hate it when its used in society like some kind of consolation prize. its as thought they are being paternalistic and saying "you aren't really beautiful but we'll just pretend to make you feel better" which is a big lie.
Exactly. Or even worse, it's used as a joke.

Fat girl it is.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Question Etymology of an Acronym

The term goes back, obviously, to well before Carole Shaw first slapped it on the logo of her magazine in '78... originally an in-house NAAFA term? Liz Fisher might recall... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman Wikipedia says Shaw coined it, but I dunno...

Last edited by Ned Sonntag; 06-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Sonntag View Post
The term goes back, obviously, to well before Carole Shaw first slapped it on the logo of her magazine in '78... originally an in-house NAAFA term? Liz Fisher might recall...
i remember BBW mag was my first subscription ever. i had it but i still had no idea about NAAFA and SA really. at that age i wasn't political. i just wanted to know where to buy my clothing. but i think the meaning has evolved since then and it means different things to different people because its no longer 1978 and BBWs have a different consciousness now. it was one thing but now its probably that and something else. i think it was great that the op asked the question. i think all of the answers will just show how definitions and meanings are not set in stone and how if they are to keep to the original purpose which was basically an SA purpose, how we should approach it with new and more knowledgeable eyes in a new time.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

As much as I wish that it is all about identity and that actual size doesn't matter, I have to say that a BBW is someone who is at least medically overweight and wears a conventional plus size.

I have always been a US size 0. I am also considered huge in my home country and have felt fat for most of my life. Granted I didn't break any chairs, but I couldn't shop in most regular stores back then, faced extensive bullying and was under constant pressure to lose weight. The idea of a Big Beautiful Woman would have been SO empowering to me when I was in my teens and hated my body more than anything...

I can still relate to the idea now, but I won't actually use the term even in a size-accepting context because I am pretty sure most people here will just crucify me. You hear enough horror stories of women who are a size 24 and 250lbs getting told that they are "barely a BBW".
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #20
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
That's exactly what I was going to say. Besides the community, it's too often use as a crutch. I won't even say that you have to necessarily be confident or love yourself, but I think you have to at least accept yourself. Why describe yourself with a term that includes the very thing you hate about yourself?

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
StarWitness
part square, part drape

StarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I've been wondering the same thing as of late.

I'm in that "in between" area: I'm smaller than most of the photos of BBW I've seen here, but larger than most of the other women that I interact with IRL. I self-identify as a BBW-- although I'm starting to have second thoughts about that term, maybe that's a subject for another thread.

I'm not sure how much weight I would have to lose before I would consider myself "normal." I had been making the distinction based on clothing size-- if I can't fit in clothing offered in the average store at the mall, I am fat/plus-size/BBW. I don't like basing how I label myself on what corporations find acceptable, but they have a much bigger impact on my culture than I do, and it seems to me that being a BBW is connected to having a body that is outside the "norm."

Similar question to the one posed by the OP: what distinguishes between a BBW and SSBBW?

I've always been a guy with a sweet tooth, and that girl's just like a king-size candy bar...
--Sleater-Kinney
StarWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #22
Keb
Princess

Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I dunno, I always thought it was pretty self-explanatory. If you're big, and beautiful, and a woman, then you're a BBW. Big is pretty flexible (if you feel big, either you are, or you're probably visiting Japan, or both), and there are very few people lacking entirely in beauty of any kind (beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway), and the number of people who aren't sure if they're a man or a woman is pretty small, too.

I tend to prefer the term "princess" to BBW, but that's a personal thing (that only omits the "big" requirement to my mind).
Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #23
CamileL

CamileL can now change their title

Labels tend to be extremely fluid. My former roomie was from Japan. She looked about average size by American standards. She told me that she was considered tall, fat, and busty in parts of Japan. She wold always complain that she was fat. When I asked what that made me, she said it was different for me because I looked good no matter what size I was. On the flip side of that, my grandmother used to tell me that I was "big". I was between a size 9 and a 12 through most of middle and high school. When I look at pictures of myself back then I want to shake her and ask what the heck is her definition of big. Now a days I definitely consider myself to be "big", but admit that even that is subjective. I've seen sites that classify women my size as "plumpers" and other places that say I'm a bbw. A few of my friends say that I'm a bbw because I'm plus-sized and still carry myself like I'm a million bucks. Other people have described me as "the black woman/girl with the big boobs". *shrugs* Like a few others have mentioned, I don't use the term "bbw" outside of specific settings.

Facebook Myspace CL Contributor Profile

Mind you, these are the same people who watch hentai while looking for pics of Vanessa Hudgens
CamileL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

...Can't we just all be beautiful women? :|
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
CamileL

CamileL can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooz View Post
...Can't we just all be beautiful women? :|
I used to think that way, too. Then I met some women with some very nasty attitudes. :/

Facebook Myspace CL Contributor Profile

Mind you, these are the same people who watch hentai while looking for pics of Vanessa Hudgens
CamileL is offline   Reply With Quote