Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
phelan4022
Live by Example

phelan4022 has super-sized repphelan4022 has super-sized repphelan4022 has super-sized rep
Default Admirers

After much deliberation and discourse on the subject, I would like to propose a new descriptor for those, male or female, that admire full figured bodies. I know that using Fat in Fat Admirer is a means of taking the word back but the stigma attached to fat is so virulent that I've had it be an object of intense debate with both significant others and friends. Simply for me, there is far more to a BBW that I admire than her fat. Yes, her body is glorious but there is an ineffable grace to BBWs that transcends mere physicality and, be it through the vagaries of nature or nurture, a caliber of spirit that is as much an attraction to me as simple curvaceousness.

So, I propose and have already put into affect personally, that we no longer differentiate between male or female "fat" admirers but specifically state what we are personally attracted to. I, for instance, am a BBWA, a Big, Beautiful Woman Admirer, or just Admirer for short. A FFA would be a BHMA, etc.

I understand the difficulty of changing an already established factor of the meme but I think doing so would be of great benefit to our cause on the whole, supporting not just the aspects of our attraction but the people that embody them. I would love further input, positive or negative.

Thank you.

phelan4022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Words describe, they do not define. These labels are quick and easy and recognized. They're not totally accurate, but they function well enough as umbrella terms to help give an identity to members of the community.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
phelan4022
Live by Example

phelan4022 has super-sized repphelan4022 has super-sized repphelan4022 has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Words describe, they do not define. These labels are quick and easy and recognized. They're not totally accurate, but they function well enough as umbrella terms to help give an identity to members of the community.
Umbrella terms that only serve to damage the movement in the common view. The whole reason I set about trying to come up with something different was because I was encountering so many real women that didn't want to call themselves fat or have someone attracted to them for their fat. The use of one word is a legitimate inhibitor to many people. I know that this is semantic silliness but I think it is a legitimate issue for enough people that it should be address.

This is strictly my opinion and you are happily entitled to your own, however, I will admit that I am trying to sway you and others like you to at least considering my cause.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Agreed. I'm pretty sure 98% of us don't use the term outside of the community anyway. At least not with people we know or believe aren't aware of the community. The way we carry ourselves, our awareness, and the way we treat others is much more important.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
ThisIsBrian

ThisIsBrian can now change their title

Though I've never really liked the term Fat Admirer (or BBW) I'm not convinced that using euphemisms for the word fat is going to change anyone's attitude about fat. Especially if the fat community itself is too ashamed to use the word.

I could be swayed to your cause if you came up with a superior alternative to Fat Admirer, for example something like: Amazing Badass Who Smells Fantastic, or ABWSF for short. Most people already call me an ABWSF so that would be an easy transition for me. But, you know, I'm open to other ideas.
ThisIsBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
phelan4022
Live by Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBrian View Post
I could be swayed to your cause if you came up with a superior alternative to Fat Admirer, for example something like: Amazing Badass Who Smells Fantastic, or ABWSF for short. Most people already call me an ABWSF so that would be an easy transition for me. But, you know, I'm open to other ideas.
I'm down. I'm now referring to myself as an ABWSF! I actually like that it requires a longer explanation, lol. And, I swear to all the deities that I am not being sarcastic of facetious.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
phelan4022
Live by Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
Agreed. I'm pretty sure 98% of us don't use the term outside of the community anyway. At least not with people we know or believe aren't aware of the community. The way we carry ourselves, our awareness, and the way we treat others is much more important.
You make a very convincing point. I have seen non-members of the community use it but I completely agree with your conclusion.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
CurvaceousBBWLover
Primordial

CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Though I've never really liked the term Fat Admirer (or BBW) I'm not convinced that using euphemisms for the word fat is going to change anyone's attitude about fat. Especially if the fat community itself is too ashamed to use the word.

Given that a lot of fat women dread the word fat, I do not think that reclaiming the word will change people's attitudes. I do not like "fat admirer" or "chubby chaser" because both phrases sound fetishistic. What's interesting is that some women will often ask me in a suspicious way to justify why I like BBWs. Frankly, I am attracted to women. I like the word "man" just fine because it works best.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
phelan4022
Live by Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvaceousBBWLover View Post
Given that a lot of fat women dread the word fat, I do not think that reclaiming the word will change people's attitudes. I do not like "fat admirer" or "chubby chaser" because both phrases sound fetishistic. What's interesting is that some women will often ask me in a suspicious way to justify why I like BBWs. Frankly, I am attracted to women. I like the word "man" just fine because it works best.

Sir, I once debated the political viability of the Obama campaign alongside you in Hyde Park (the section on this website, not the actual location in Chicago). Then, as now, your words are both poignant and inspiring, as well as fundamentally true.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
phelan4022
Live by Example

Default epiphany

I think I just had an epiphany.

This morning before my significant other departed for work, we discussed the historical and anthropological validity of pantheism, it's relevancy to a rational, scientific as well as spiritual world view and debated its nature as a fundamental aspect of the pre-monotheistic faiths. She has been searching for a term that fits her beliefs for a long time. I told her, "when people ask me what I believe in, I tell them I believe in every faith and none of them at all." I encouraged her to keep seeking until she discovered that she needs no term to define her and to then continue seeking even after that point.

I realize that the joy of the mystery of seeking a true answer to a fundamental question of life is the deepest purpose of such seeking, not the small satisfaction of seemingly finding an answer to something that is properly ineffable. I have spent many years on the idea of a proper name to describe my attraction and I believe that I lost sight of the relevant fact that attraction to all shapes and sizes of people is a organic and beautiful event. In the Buddhist sense, I was grasping. No more, I will simply luxuriate in my attraction and appreciate the women that manifest its properties for the intricate and unfathomably precious beings that they are, as all people are inherently (circumstantial actions of ugliness regarded only in individual analysis).

Thank you, all.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #11
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

Well BBWA and BHMA certainly sounds a lot nicer but I'm used to using FA and FFA and it would be a difficult change.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Webmaster
The Chief

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't think anyone ever liked the term FA. It's just that nothing better came a long. In addition, there should be no need to specifically broadcast a physical preference, no matter what preference that may be. In everyday life I've stopped using the term long ago. If someone asks my preference or if somehow the subject comes up, I simply state that I personally like large women.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
phelan4022
Live by Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
I don't think anyone ever liked the term FA. It's just that nothing better came a long. In addition, there should be no need to specifically broadcast a physical preference, no matter what preference that may be. In everyday life I've stopped using the term long ago. If someone asks my preference or if somehow the subject comes up, I simply state that I personally like large women.
Thank you for your input, sir. It is an honor to have your veritable two cents.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
loopytheone
Master Member

loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!loopytheone has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am glad you have understood and accepted that the need to find a 'perfect' defining word is far from important.

In real life I have never called myself a FFA. I will say I like bigger guys and sometimes give examples of guys I find attractive, but only if someone asks. Online, however, I find that FFA is a pretty universally understood term that is quick to type and saves tedious repeated explanations.
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Pretty much this ^^^^^

Personal variations make clean categorization difficult, but some some roughly defined terms that are generally understood by a community do make communication easier--it is why every group develops its own jargon.

Now, having said that, one thing that the BBW/BHM labels on one side and FA labels on the other don't catch well is that one can be an admirer of:
- fat people of the group that you'd roughly consider as potential sexual partners (FA as a sexual thing)
- fat people that are not in the group you'd consider as sexual partners (FA as liking fat people in a non-sexual way)
- being fat yourself (FA as in thinking you yourself look better fat)

And we can be one, two, or all three of them. Although it is generally only the first two that would ever get classified as an FA usually, and only the first and third that would be apt to bring someone to a site like this, so combining those I suspect that most people who would ever think of themself as an FA would mean at least as a sexual thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
bayone

bayone knows EXACTLY what's going onbayone knows EXACTLY what's going onbayone knows EXACTLY what's going onbayone knows EXACTLY what's going onbayone knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Online, however, I find that FFA is a pretty universally understood term that is quick to type and saves tedious repeated explanations.

Wee...ell -- I have tried using it as a search tag on Tumblr only to find myself deluged with stuff about the Future Farmers of America.
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

some alternatives... none serious...

Fat Lady Enthusiast (FLE)
Weight Worshipper (WW)
Fatty Fanatic (FF)
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
ThisIsBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

Weight Worshipper (WW)
Fatty Fanatic (FF)
My vote goes with Fat Lady Enthusiast. It made me smile, it's to the point, and it's self-explanatory. I'd proudly wear the title Fat Lady Enthusiast... seriously.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #19
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
My vote goes with Fat Lady Enthusiast. It made me smile, it's to the point, and it's self-explanatory. I'd proudly wear the title Fat Lady Enthusiast... seriously.
I'm a Fat Lady Enthusiast in that I collect them. You know, like a trading card enthusiast?

You should really see all the ones I have.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

Weight Worshipper (WW)
Fatty Fanatic (FF)
Fat Lady Enthusiast (FLE) -- Eh.. and the acronym reminds me of flee... the insect

Weight Worshipper (WW) --I like this, but the WW acronym is already taken by weight watchers and it will confuse people.

Fatty Fanatic (FF) --I like this one too. But FF is taken by Fantasy Feeder....

Last edited by lucca23v2; 05-28-2014 at 08:10 PM.
lucca23v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #21
petersmyth79

petersmyth79 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Fat Lady Enthusiast (FLE) -- Eh.. and the acronym reminds me of flee... the insect

Weight Worshipper (WW) --I like this, but the WW acronym is already taken by weight watchers and it will confuse people.

Fatty Fanatic (FF) --I like this one too. But FF is taken by Fantasy Feeder....
Your 2nd point made me laugh greatly. Me and my fiance often joke that we are both a "member" of "weight watchers"; after all we are watching her weight, just not in the way that ppl mean when they normally say weight watchers
petersmyth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitylucca23v2 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersmyth79 View Post
Your 2nd point made me laugh greatly. Me and my fiance often joke that we are both a "member" of "weight watchers"; after all we are watching her weight, just not in the way that ppl mean when they normally say weight watchers
LOL.... That is funny.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
ThisIsBrian

Quote:
I'm a Fat Lady Enthusiast in that I collect them. You know, like a trading card enthusiast?

You should really see all the ones I have.
No thanks. I'm not judging you but collecting fat ladies sounds kind of weird to me. I was referring more to my feelings of enthusiasm for big women. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #24
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Quote:
No thanks. I'm not judging you but collecting fat ladies sounds kind of weird to me. I was referring more to my feelings of enthusiasm for big women. Sorry for the confusion.
um... i think he was being facetious...lol

but thanks for the clarification. It can only help.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
biglynch
Master Member

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayone View Post
Wee...ell -- I have tried using it as a search tag on Tumblr only to find myself deluged with stuff about the Future Farmers of America.
Yes! Agreed. I think those farmers are sick of my ass popping up so often.

Female Fat admirer is fine by me, probably because there's no grey area. When I hear ladies say "I like chubby guys" I get disheartened as I don't feel I fit in the chubby bracket.

Good topic OP