Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default As nation gains, size 14 is new 10

CNN: As nation gains, 'overweight' is relative
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/10...ght/index.html
Quote:
(CNN) -- The little number on the tag on a pair of pants that indicates size can mean a lot to a person, and retailers know it.

That's why, in recent years, as the American population has become generally more overweight, brands from the luxury names to the mass retail chains have scaled down the size labels on their clothing.

"You may actually be a size 14 and, according to whatever particular store you're in, you come out a size 10," said Natalie Nixon, associate professor of fashion industry management at Philadelphia University. "It's definitely to make the consumer feel good."
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't really think vanity sizing is anything new. I think alot of things are/have been getting bigger (houses, portion sizes, even the size of houswares like plates, etc.) Now, whether or not you think its a good thing is an entirely different story.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In my city (Vancouver, Canada) you're seeing 'negative' sizing because we have a huge Asian population. Something i've never seen in my life before.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I hate vanity sizing. I can't shop in most regular US stores anymore and hunting for brands and styles that are cut smaller is such a hassle. I'm not even that small but I have to wear XXS and the supposedly tiny size 0s usually end up being too big on me. I have a vintage dress in size 6 that fits perfectly. Asians are generally tiny, my sister is all of 80lbs and can wear clothes made for 6 year old American kids.

You would think that vanity sizing means that fat girls get a lot more options, but apparently not. Oh well.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
pani

pani carries a lot of weight on this boardpani carries a lot of weight on this boardpani carries a lot of weight on this boardpani carries a lot of weight on this boardpani carries a lot of weight on this board

Unbelievable that this would be front page news when there are so many other pressing issues. It just demonstrates the news exists for more for its sponsors and as an agent of propaganda than serious journalism.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani View Post
Unbelievable that this would be front page news when there are so many other pressing issues. It just demonstrates the news exists for more for its sponsors and as an agent of propaganda than serious journalism.
Ah grasshopper, Confatius say that one must accentuate the positive to achieve inner peace and happiness.

In other words, if increasing mainstream fat acceptance is front page news, methinx that's reason to celebrate.

Quite possibly with a celebratory piece of that banana cream pie I hear calling my name.

PS. Wow. This is my 1500th post. Now that I have achieved an inner peace of pie, maybe I'd better double my happiness with a second celebratory slice.

Last edited by TallFatSue; 07-10-2009 at 06:25 PM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani View Post
I usually agree with you pani but on this I have to disagree. It looks to me like this is merely a fringe story on CNN's health and fitness web page and not front page news. It seem appropriate enough though to motivate people to scoff in outrage and stick with their exercise and weight management routines. I would guess that's what they want to inspire in that readership base.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote