Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 07-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Best way to support youth

As I mentioned previously I have a gay son, but I also deal with many kids who question their sexuality in my job running a youth centre. Many of these kids experience tremendous pressure from families, friends and their spiritual organizations to "get those ideas out of their heads. Of course I listen and hold them while they cry and if I think they are doing something more than experimenting I try to direct them to local support people who are in the community.
I wonder if there is anything that when you were struggling as a teen/young adult that you would have needed to make the process a little easier for you?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffie View Post
As I mentioned previously I have a gay son, but I also deal with many kids who question their sexuality in my job running a youth centre. Many of these kids experience tremendous pressure from families, friends and their spiritual organizations to "get those ideas out of their heads. Of course I listen and hold them while they cry and if I think they are doing something more than experimenting I try to direct them to local support people who are in the community.
I wonder if there is anything that when you were struggling as a teen/young adult that you would have needed to make the process a little easier for you?
The biggest thing that would have helped me would have been to know that it was OK not to be like everyone else. If I had known that all women don't have to look or act a certain way to be considered women, or that all lesbians had to find X sexy in order to be a 'true' lesbian, or that fat can be very beautiful no matter what I see on the TV screen telling me otherwise, then that would have been a tremendous help.

As youth, most of us, queer or not, want to fit in more than anything, but we also want to be 'individuals.' I think exposure to people who don't neatly fit all the narrow boxes we assign people due to gender, race, size, sexuality, etc, is a great thing for all teens to see, struggling or not.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
sowhat
Contains no MSG

sowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

My parents are more open minded than they let on. I didn't know that until I came out to them at 18. Had I known that, I would've told them about my GID a whole lot sooner.

To the parents: Start a conversation about this stuff with your kids. If they know you are ok with them whether or not they are <insert applicable word here>, it will put them more at ease with themselves and with you.

Most things in life are not concrete or absolute. Gender, Sexual Orientation and preferences are more a spectrum than anything. Life is about finding that spot that works for you.

I hope that brain spewing above made some sense.
sowhat is offline   Reply With Quote