Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

I guess it depends on the job but I can see situations where admitting you are nervous can work either for or against you. On the positive side admitting nerves and then performing well in the interview can be indicative that you are someone who does well under pressure and that you are able to overcome situations in which you arent naturally comfortable.

Roommate story:
It was a third round interview in a conference room with five people sitting around an oval table and she was at the head of it. So she walks in and starts talking only to realize the second button of her blouse has opened (exposing her bra). She is super nervous as it is and this sends her over the top, apparently she turned 14 shades of red and purple and stammered through the rest of the interview.

I have no idea how I would have reacted but am interested in how other people would react to a situation like this. At the time my thoughts were perhaps it would be ok to crack a smile say something like 'oops didnt mean to flash you" to dissipate the awkwardness of the situation and then just go on with the interview like nothing happened, though perhaps thats easier said then done.

Anyway Fatgirlflyin how did your interview go??
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #27
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Home from my interview it lasted almost an hour. I think it went ok, I had to walk up two flights of stairs first so I was breathing kinda hard when I got there. After I introduced myself I just asked them to excuse me for breathing hard because I had just walked up stairs.

Then they made a joke about having the benefit of time so that I wouldn't hear them breathing hard. They were all big women, so not sure why they were upstairs. Probably only room available I guess.

I feel pretty confident about the whole thing, the only thing I screwed up on was forgetting to leave my portfolio with them. I realized I still had it in my hand when I got down to the car, so it was back up the stairs again to give it to them.

I should know something by the end of next week!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I hope you hear good news.

I guess it would be a good idea for the future to scope out the place ahead of time to see if you'd need to go a few minutes early in case there are stairs or some such. I never thought of that before...

I've found appropriate humor works in anxiety provoking situations like networking events, or job fairs. If it happened to me I'd make a joke about it, but then if I knew it was a blouse where the buttons would pop open I'd use a safety pin, or literally sew it shut.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #29
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I hope you hear good news.

I guess it would be a good idea for the future to scope out the place ahead of time to see if you'd need to go a few minutes early in case there are stairs or some such. I never thought of that before...

I've found appropriate humor works in anxiety provoking situations like networking events, or job fairs. If it happened to me I'd make a joke about it, but then if I knew it was a blouse where the buttons would pop open I'd use a safety pin, or literally sew it shut.

Yeah, only thing is they had me wait in the lobby til the HR lady came and got me. Otherwise I totally would have went up early, I was there at 2:40 for a 3pm interview.

I'd probably make a joke about the open button too.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #30
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

So I just found out (and probably shouldn't have been told) that it is down to me and one other person for the job that I interviewed for last week!

The director of my division just came over to me and told me that she heard I did really well on my interview and my manager told me that she had a positive call with HR about me, and she's the one who told me its down to the two of us. The other person is from the same division so she's got a leg up over me in regards to experience with that work group. I'm just hoping that between my interview, portfolio, and the project that I had to submit that I look the best.

Nothing I can do now but wait.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #31
Hathor
stolen child

Hathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels_mystery View Post
I smile, give a firm handshake and act like I own the place. Even if I think I am over my head, fake it. I never knew how much people judged a handshake until a male manager told me. Something about it says how confident a person is. Now don't try to break the person's hand but you want to let that person know you mean business. Good luck with your job hunt.
This is how I got my current job. I walked in like I knew I belonged there and exuded a lot of confidence.

Now that I have the job I sometimes think being fat is a hindrance, but I do a better job than most of the people there.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #32
Hathor
stolen child

Hathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlflyin View Post
So I just found out (and probably shouldn't have been told) that it is down to me and one other person for the job that I interviewed for last week!

The director of my division just came over to me and told me that she heard I did really well on my interview and my manager told me that she had a positive call with HR about me, and she's the one who told me its down to the two of us. The other person is from the same division so she's got a leg up over me in regards to experience with that work group. I'm just hoping that between my interview, portfolio, and the project that I had to submit that I look the best.

Nothing I can do now but wait.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been awhile since this post of yours....Any news yet?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #33
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

Ah forgot that I had posted here. They decided to give the job with More experience within that division. They took the easy route IMO but i beat 100 plus people and it came down to me and one other woman. So now its back to the drawing board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathor View Post
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been awhile since this post of yours....Any news yet?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #34
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I am so sorry to hear that. Good luck in your search.
jewels_mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #35
Hathor
stolen child

Quote:
Ah forgot that I had posted here. They decided to give the job with More experience within that division. They took the easy route IMO but i beat 100 plus people and it came down to me and one other woman. So now its back to the drawing board.
It's not much, but at least you know you beat out all those people for interviews. =D

Good luck finding something else.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #36
Donna
wait...what?

Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Glad someone bumped this thread...I had nearly forgotten about it.

As if job candidates don't have enough to worry about, now some employers are really scrutinizing potential employees. See this article on Yahoo.
Ugh.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #37
PolarKat
Digital Sun tanning

PolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this board

If I remember I posted on a similar topic to this in the past, but never hurts to repeat..

I mostly interview Engineers, but this would even apply to flipping burgers.. There's plenty of mistakes younger men & women make during an interview, which I see all the time.. here's some pointers to avoid them..

The most important thing is to know something the job you're applying for, research the position and company so that you know what they're about, get familiar with their product line etc.. That way you'll have the opertunity to ask some good questions during the interview.

As mentioned before, the Handshake. Dry your palm on your pants out of sight before you shake hands, and the handshake must be firm and "to the point". The hands clasp, then grip, 1-2 shallow shakes and release. During this time you smile and say "Hi" or "Hello" and ask "How are you" while keeping eye contact. You'll probably be asked "How are you?" in return. Answer "Fine, thank you" or "Very well, thank you".. don't say "not bad", and don't discuss the horrible ride on the way. Practice with a male friend/family to get it right.

During the interview, if someone else comes into the room to talk with you, stand up, and repeat the handshake process above.

Dress accordingly... Pants/slacks are the ONLY option, stick to darker colors, walking shoes, flats or really low heels. Makeup is at a minimum and hair is not covering your face. Avoid jewelery beyond 2 earings and wedding ring. No sunglasses, even in the waiting area. No cleavage, that means no boob, bum or lower back showing at any time. Tats covered as well.

Try to avoid wearing perfume, and if you smoke don't at least 1 hour before the interview, and especially not on the drive to the interview. Overbearing perfume or smoke has the same effect, it's irritating.

You must have spare copies of your CV, diplomas and references on hand. It's common for HR to lose, forget etc.. something and if you save the interviewer the trip to HR you just scored important points for being ready on the spot.

During the interview, you either wait to be asked or motioned to sit, or sit after the interviewer has taken their seat. Sit straight or lean slightly backwards, your hands are either on your lap (if you're nervous) , otherwise they're on the table, and the arms are NOT CROSSED.

KEEP EYE CONTACT, I'm not talking staring contest here, but when your mouth is moving you're looking at the person who asked the question. If there's more than one person in the room, then you're mostly looking at the person who asked the question and glancing occasionally at the other person. When someone is asking you a question you're looking at them as well.

When you're asked if you have any questions, the only questions you should have are directly related to the position you applied to, and they should be honest questions about the job responsibilities. If you don't have any real questions, don't try to make something up on the spot, you're better off saying "thank you, but I don't have any questions at this time".
You DO NOT ask about salary, breaks, bonus, raises, vacation time etc.. salary and benefit questions/counter offers are done with the HR dept. when you've been offered the job and have to decide if you want to take it.

Don't under sell yourself, and at the same time don't over do it as well. Most of the time your interview is either HR then the manager who's looking to hire, or just the manager. The over bloated ego works well with HR, but it's a negative with the manager that's looking for new staff, unless it's a sales position..
PolarKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #38
fffff

fffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging infffff makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
I was recently in the exact situation as you. It's like a subtle slap instead of a complete kick in the ass.

I'm feeling really desperate and depressed and my unemployment. But then again, I graduated in May and not a single one of the classmates I keep in touch with has found relevant full-time employment with benefits yet. Truly a great time to have graduated.
fffff is offline   Reply With Quote