Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

A Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticed
Default SSBBW Bed/Furniture Options?

Another of what I'm sure is/has been a recurring topic at Dimensions, my girlfriend and I are getting a place together, and we're looking for some comfortable/sturdy furniture.

Right now, priority #1 is a bed. Chairs and couches and stuff we will fill in as we can find stuff. I have budgeted about $900 for furniture (hopefully getting some chairs/tables in there too), and I want it to last for a while.

That said, my current bed is a queen, and it works out alright...except that the metal casters bent the frame after we...used it. So ideally, we would like a mattress + frame that elevates us yet can support a good 700+ lbs - preferably a king, but a queen would work too.

Are there any mattresses or furniture stores that anyone can recommend? Any mattresses or furniture stores to stay away from? Again, trying to keep bed + some furniture under $900, so if we can do that, that would be great.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
A Bolder Boulder FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
dreamer72fem
hmmm....

dreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 club

I am a ssbbw and I knew I just didnt want to trust a bed frame so when I bought a new queen box springs and mattess my dad and I built a platform for it so it cant break down. It has worked out wonderfully....most sturdy bed I have had
Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

A Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer72fem View Post
I am a ssbbw and I knew I just didnt want to trust a bed frame so when I bought a new queen box springs and mattess my dad and I built a platform for it so it cant break down. It has worked out wonderfully....most sturdy bed I have had
That's awesome, I wish my dad was closer/more handicraft-y to build a platform for it. Unfortunately, we're going to have to go with more traditional framing options since this is in an apartment.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

120 replies and no responses? Surely there have to be some other people who have had some furniture questions in the past.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

There have been furniture/bed information posted in the past. Might want to perform a search.

I do remember someone posting the link below. I saved it for future needs. Not sure if the company is still in business but it looks sturdy and isn't overly expensive. Hope it helps.

Snap lock
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
ecortez766

ecortez766 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bolder Boulder FA View Post
That's awesome, I wish my dad was closer/more handicraft-y to build a platform for it. Unfortunately, we're going to have to go with more traditional framing options since this is in an apartment.
Well you could try putting blocks under the bed frame to reinforce the frame.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
PhatChk

PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You can try something I tried with my family when I went to Dominica Republic. If you do not mind not having a real bed. Buy a big rug on top of that place concrete blocks in three rows. Make sure they have some space add as much as you think will support the spring mattress. You can put the mattress on top, to cover the blocks you can put a bed skirt. After add the other mattress. It wrked for me. It my wrk for you too. And then just buy the headboard. I might do the same when I move. I am worried about the bed too.

Eats and Seats :eat2:NEW ENTRY
I am looking for writers to contribute to the blog.
Ask me anything http://formspring.me/LadyGrn
PhatChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You might also want to take a look at the post below.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...73&postcount=2
Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

I've found a few beds online that seem to fit what I'm looking for in a nice sturdy bed, but I'm still looking for suggestions if anyone else has any forthcoming. Does anyone have any experience with memory foam on their beds with both partners being big?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Smurftums

Smurftums has said some nice things

A suggestion for a mattress. Try a latex rubber mattress rather than a coil spung one. They support very well and are durable. You pay more up front but it is cheaper in the long run. As for a base to put the mattress on, you might have to go the custom made route for strength.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!

Based on personal experience, may I suggest *not* a futon frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA-FAIL.jpg (54.0 KB, 990 views)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West Coast View Post
haha I don't have pictures to prove it, but I also would not recommend an antique bed either.

The funniest part was I kept hearing some weird kind of crackling noises for like, half an hour and thought nothing of it until my side of the bed went crashing to the floor.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I've found a few beds online that seem to fit what I'm looking for in a nice sturdy bed, but I'm still looking for suggestions if anyone else has any forthcoming. Does anyone have any experience with memory foam on their beds with both partners being big?
I read an article on-line that said Temper-pedic and memory foam beds are comfortable, but not the best choice for heavy people, I think mostly because the cost would not be worth it:

Good quality foam in products like Tempurpedic mattresses is already quite dense. This makes them suitable for a larger person but because the additional weight creates greater pressure, the cells in the memory material wear down quicker than they otherwise would.

High density foam beds like Tempurpedic sleep systems probably wear out 2-4 years quicker, depending on body weight. Lower density foam will wear out 5-7 years quicker under similar conditions.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #14
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy girl View Post

Good quality foam in products like Tempurpedic mattresses is already quite dense. This makes them suitable for a larger person but because the additional weight creates greater pressure, the cells in the memory material wear down quicker than they otherwise would.

High density foam beds like Tempurpedic sleep systems probably wear out 2-4 years quicker, depending on body weight. Lower density foam will wear out 5-7 years quicker under similar conditions.
Just a suggestion to prolong the life of any mattress. Rotate it every half year or so and flip it around to make it wear evenly . This also works for couch and chair pads if they are symmetrical (or if you have identical living room chairs, exchange the pads and again, occasionally flip them around if possible...) I'm guessing one of these Tempurpedic mattresses is one sided (i.e. the mattress can't be flipped around...), in such a case just rotating it would be the next best thing so that the heavier person isn't always sleeping on the same side.

Also, there are pads that can be put on top of beds, my wife got one of these for our trailer. It works in the trailer because the bed is somewhat boxed in so the pad can't easily slip off the top of the mattress, I don't know how well this would work on a regular bed though...

"Regardless of who runs the websites and organizations, the cause belongs to all of us.

Last edited by stan_der_man; 08-06-2009 at 04:11 AM.
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
StarWitness
part square, part drape

StarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West Coast View Post
Oh, that is... not a fail in the least... except that you're down one futon.

I've always been a guy with a sweet tooth, and that girl's just like a king-size candy bar...
--Sleater-Kinney
StarWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
Rosebud
Irresponsible Fatty

Rosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 club

Though I can't remember where I may have gotten it, I have a bed frame with nine legs that has easily supported me and everyone else who has decided to bounce around on my bed. I know I've had at least 1300 pounds on there at one time (ahhh... happy memories)

It will be difficult to find a high quality mattress and foundation set for under $900. I paid a small fortune for my newest mattress and I am praying it lasts at least as long as the payments.

My sister swears by her Sleep Number bed (I don't know how much they run). She loves that it is easy to move, which may be important to you if you change apartments.

My fear about the Tempurpedic mattresses is sinking in and not being able to turn over easily. As fun as it would be short term, being trapped in bed would lose its luster after a few days.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Rosebud; 08-06-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: yikes... typo
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

Waterbed pedestals are made to hold up a lot of weight. My current bed has a waterbed mattress, but I have known people to put regular mattresses in waterbed frames, and I have slept on such myself. I got the king size waterbed frame with a nice headboard off craigslist for $150, so it isn't a budget buster (water bed mattress if you go that route was around $200-250 for a good, new one).
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy girl View Post
haha I don't have pictures to prove it, but I also would not recommend an antique bed either.

The funniest part was I kept hearing some weird kind of crackling noises for like, half an hour and thought nothing of it until my side of the bed went crashing to the floor.
Also stay away from IKEA furniture if you have a supersized partner. The best thing that has worked for me is cinder blocks. Lots of them. The elevate the bed excelled and are very sturdy as long as you put enough under the bet to suppot all the pressure points and it can be mostly hidden by a bed skirt.

I've also had beds on the floor, but they are harder than hell to get out of!

Good luck!
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
Smurftums

Smurftums has said some nice things

On the topic of cinder blocks, try milk crates (as used in Australia, I don't know the correct term for other countries). Made from strong plastic you should use as many that can fit under the bed (don't use them for pressure points).
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I have to second a platform bed. I recently put one in the guest bedroom and its sturdier than the four poster I use.
jewels_mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

Default Thanks....

Thanks everyone for all the continued feedback on this.

For those people who used cinder blocks, did you just put the cinderblocks underneath the frame itself, or did you put the mattress + box spring on top of the cinderblocks? I'm trying to think about the best options here for a nice sturdy yet sub-$1k bed.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #22
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the continued feedback on this.

For those people who used cinder blocks, did you just put the cinderblocks underneath the frame itself, or did you put the mattress + box spring on top of the cinderblocks? I'm trying to think about the best options here for a nice sturdy yet sub-$1k bed.

With cinder blocks I didn't bother with a frame. I just made sure everything was solid...especially the side of the bed where I sit when I get into and out of bed. The only down side is it takes away the storage area under the bed, but its a small sacrifice for a sturdy bed
Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellySSBBW View Post
With cinder blocks I didn't bother with a frame. I just made sure everything was solid...especially the side of the bed where I sit when I get into and out of bed. The only down side is it takes away the storage area under the bed, but its a small sacrifice for a sturdy bed
Is that what you still use? Might be a good option for us. A new frame is $63, cinder blocks can't be more than $5-10 each and a bed itself would probably run $500+. :/
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #24
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I use a 4" memory foam topper, have for about 4-5 years, and I LOVE it. I can sleep without it, but it's just not the same. I sleep on my side, and it helps take all the pressure off my hips. Plus I used to never be able to sleep on my back (ass doesn't allow me to be flat, so it caused awful lower back pain) but now I can for periods of time because the foam allows me to spread out a bit and still support my back.

The only thing I stress with memory foam is that you do NOT skip on density! Density is the key to good memory foam and you want it as dense as possible if you're going to buy it.

Again, I've had mine for 4-5 years, it's still in tip top shape (it's in a case of it's own, I put a mattress pad on it, then make bed as usual) - I believe it was over $300 at the time, but they've come down since then.... over the life of it, that's not much money.

Skinny partners have not had the love for the "spungg" (as one called it). However they were fairly tolerant of it knowing that it was a comfort issue for me.

In terms of frames... I destroyed a box spring and standard metal bed frame years ago. My next bed frame was the "extra heavy duty" one that you can always upgrade to when you buy a bed. It was fantastic, never had a single issue at all - not even a bolt sheer, nothing. I'm in an IKEA platform bed now - for about 3 years. It's holding up fine, but I think it's days are numbered in the grand scheme of things - my side (well, the only side since I'm the only one in it) is supported by a stack of books in the middle - just for extra load bearing.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Quote:
Is that what you still use? Might be a good option for us. A new frame is $63, cinder blocks can't be more than $5-10 each and a bed itself would probably run $500+. :/
No it isn't what I still use. I'm in the UK now and beds are built differently and you can get a divan bed which is a bit hard to explain...but basically the "box spring"...which isn't springy at all....goes all the way to the floor and is like 2 or 3 feet high.

A good place to get cheap cinder blocks is a college with a dorm. The residence will probably use them but not want to take them home at the end of the year.