Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #51
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowegarp View Post
II feel like years from now there will be a better word and we will laugh about FA/FFA and probably most of the rest of the accepted fat jargon.
I would have an easier time believing this if someone could come up with an acceptable word that says what it means right now.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #52
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post
Post of the decade. Just fantastic and i agree with every single thing you said.
ditto and repped accordingly.
exile in thighville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #53
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Man View Post
I would have an easier time believing this if someone could come up with an acceptable word that says what it means right now.
as i've come to dislike identity politics, i now introduce myself as "liking fat chicks" and separating the verb from what i am, which is not who i fuck.
exile in thighville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #54
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name2come View Post
There is a slogan in the gay rights movement, “Being straight isn't normal, it's just common.” I'd offer it applies to us, as well. Being an FA is perfectly normal, but it is not especially common. THAT is why it is useful for us to self-identify on that point of difference. Its not about consenting to being abnormal. Rather, it is about asserting our existence. This may not be common, but we are here and we won't be denied. And again, the term "Fat Admirer" is a perfectly benign way of identifying ourselves. Apprenhension with the term rests largely on apprehension with the word FAT and the sense that we should avoid it. But again, I think that's just allowing us to be labeled as abnormal. Fat isn't something to shy away from. Its precisely what we should be asserting. Profered alternatives strike me as either fantastical or distant. FA is direct and quite clear. Doesn't mean it isn't challenging, but FA's shouldn't be shying away from being challenging, either. Its something self-accepting fat people do all the time, and our task is FAR less threatening.

A Thin Admirer doesn't have to tell anyone they are attracted to thin people, because it is assumed. It WOULD be creepy for them to declare it specifically, because there is no demand that they do so. Their preference is invisible to begin with. Feeling the need to assert your dominant sexuality is a creepy thing to do that has utterly no relevance to the experience of people of a marginalized sexuality. Straight people don't need to come out of the closet. If they make a big deal about their sexuality, it is intended as an act of intimidation. A gay person being open about their sexuality is simply not the same thing and characterising at such only serves to disadvantage an already marginalized sexual identity. People who complain about gay people being "in their face" about their sexuality aren't people to be catered to, they are precisely the people who need to be challenged in that way. Their desire not to be confronted with gay sexuality is a desire to enforce and preserve the marginalized state that their sexual orientation is pressed into. I find little to be gained by following suit as an FA by hiding my sexuality.

My fat partner has a right to know that my physical attraction to her is not only genuine, but something I have no shame over. I'm aware that some fat people don't want to date FA's. I don't want to date those fat people, though, so that works out quite perfectly for me. If they are going to regard my physical attraction to them as a negative, I'd rather get that out in the open right away. Because I'm not just interested in banging some hot fatty. My physical attraction is just a part of a total attraction I would want with a partner. And if they cannot accept that about me, it doesn't matter a lick if I think she's got a "smokin' bod". I won't be interested.

Being direct about my sexual identity is, in part, about making some people uncomfortable. Its a feature, not a bug. My sexuality shouldn't be something to hide or to cover up. My sexual identity shouldn't expose me to the need to justify myself as not being shallow when the common view faces no such demands. I'm not going to bog myself down justifying myself for the benefit of those who think I'm abnormal. I am normal. I may be different, but I'm normal. Identifying what makes me unique isn't about being less than normal, its about asserting the normality of who I am.
not meant hostily at all:

i understand exactly what your saying and it makes perfect sense to me in a lot of ways. but as a grown up 46 yr old ssbbw i'm going to tell you that there are a lot of guys out there who like us. this is something you might not see because A. you are not an ssbbw. B. the gorgeous ssbbws who come to dims often are here for support they don't get IRL and are not generally the ones who are fully comfortable with themselves yet. they often don't even recognize it when someone is interested in them. its the public perception that convinces guys not to indulge. its the same public perception that a lot of ssbbws buy into that keeps them from living openly and proudly. but fortunately the more emotional strength that guys have either because they get older and have more experience or are just hardwired that way the more they chose someone my size when they have the chance.

i think a lot of the time FAs get the impression they are rare because there are in particular some young men who aren't able to admit it. i remember all of the guys i ignored when i was younger who used to fawn over me but didnt have the ability to be open about it. but you can't extrapulate that behavior to everyone at every age. there are an awful lot of guys who don't want to associate themselves with the FA movement per say because they dont feel there is any real problem with it. there are many men like that. they simply don't allow anyone to queston what it is they like and to impact thier lives that way. they don't use media as the barometer that determines thier life. they are also insulted by the idea that the person they love and are attracted too is characterized as a freaky burden they have to carry. to him she is a woman, she is beautiful and they care for her and thats all they need to know. they don't need the entirety of society behind them to feel that way.

men like that also aren't very interested in women who are fat who find it a misery either. they want a woman who understands that she is attractive without having to have an explanation like he is some freak. he understands that compliments made to her are great but having to explain why like there is something wrong with him is out of the question because of his own personality and outlook. those guys actually do feel normal and common in thier likes. sometimes i think that the need for women to have something as simple as attraction explained to them and the need for some people to explain is some kind of odd act of codependence by two frightened people.

i'm not saying these things to put down anyone here but to express that there is another way to be. the outlook some people might have here might not be the only one and there are others worth considering. i think that can get muddled because people often come here for the support when they do feel alone which is a good thing. but not everyone feels alone or awkward with their preference and if someone does maybe its time to start asking yourself why instead of putting a bandaid on it. why, particularly in the US, do you feel so alone when everywhere you look there are fat people in relationships? evidently FAdom might even be more common than what is perceived to be common. a term is not going to make a person. what makes someone is his own character and the productivity of his own actions. all i'm questioning is the value of a term that tends to make people into outsiders who really aren't and why we insist on being outsiders if we really are not?

Last edited by superodalisque; 02-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #55
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile in thighville View Post
as i've come to dislike identity politics, i now introduce myself as "liking fat chicks" and separating the verb from what i am, which is not who i fuck.
they wouldn't let me rep you again
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #56
name2come
And I'm Done. Bye.

name2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
not meant hostily at all:

i understand exactly what your saying and it makes perfect sense to me in a lot of ways. but as a grown up 46 yr old ssbbw i'm going to tell you that there are a lot of guys out there who like us. this is something you might not see because A. you are not an ssbbw. B. the gorgeous ssbbws who come to dims often are here for support they don't get IRL and are not generally the ones who are fully comfortable with themselves yet. they often don't even recognize it when someone is interested in them. its the public perception that convinces guys not to indulge. its the same public perception that a lot of ssbbws buy into that keeps them from living openly and proudly. but fortunately the more emotional strength that guys have either because they get older and have more experience or are just hardwired that way the more they chose someone my size when they have the chance.

i think a lot of the time FAs get the impression they are rare because there are in particular some young men who aren't able to admit it. i remember all of the guys i ignored when i was younger who used to fawn over me but didnt have the ability to be open about it. but you can't extrapulate that behavior to everyone at every age. there are an awful lot of guys who don't want to associate themselves with the FA movement per say because they dont feel there is any real problem with it. there are many men like that. they simply don't allow anyone to queston what it is they like and to impact thier lives that way. they don't use media as the barometer that determines thier life. they are also insulted by the idea that the person they love and are attracted too is characterized as a freaky burden they have to carry. to him she is a woman, she is beautiful and they care for her and thats all they need to know. they don't need the entirety of society behind them to feel that way.

men like that also aren't very interested in women who are fat who find it a misery either. they want a woman who understands that she is attractive without having to have an explanation like he is some freak. he understands that compliments made to her are great but having to explain why like there is something wrong with him is out of the question because of his own personality and outlook. those guys actually do feel normal and common in thier likes. sometimes i think that the need for women to have something as simple as attraction explained to them and the need for some people to explain is some kind of odd act of codependence by two frightened people.

i'm not saying these things to put down anyone here but to express that there is another way to be. the outlook some people might have here might not be the only one and there are others worth considering. i think that can get muddled because people often come here for the support when they do feel alone which is a good thing. but not everyone feels alone or awkward with their preference and if someone does maybe its time to start asking yourself why instead of putting a bandaid on it. why, particularly in the US, do you feel so alone when everywhere you look there are fat people in relationships? evidently FAdom might even be more common than what is perceived to be common. a term is not going to make a person. what makes someone is his own character and the productivity of his own actions. all i'm questioning is the value of a term that tends to make people into outsiders who really aren't and why we insist on being outsiders if we really are not?
I didn't say anything about FA's being rare. Just that its not as common as being a thin admirer. No matter how prevalent fat admiration is, it would wrong to think that our sexual identity isn't very much marginalized in our culture. One way we can change that is by self-identifying. But showing that we do exist. By saying we exist. Nothing will be gained by pretending we don't exist. By trying to be invisible. The tragedy is that most FA's can get away with that as we don't suffer the consequences of just being private FA's. Those we are attracted to bare the brunt of it through the constant social reinforcement that being attracted to fat people either doesn't exist, is inherently suspect, or is inherently wrong. FA's can enjoy the luxury of pretending to be nothing because fat stigmatization targets fat people. Its very easy to disassociate with our stake in their affairs, but I don't think it does either group a service. The fight fat people need to make against fat discrimination should be our fight as well. As more than allies or silent supporters, but because it is our fight, too. Its about more than making the individuals I am with feel beautiful. It is about social justice that is denied fat people.

Embracing our identity only makes us "outsiders" to those interested in keeping us on the outside. I see no benefit to catering to their resistance to us. I shouldn't have to play by their standards. Being an FA is something I'm proud about. Not because I think it makes me a better person, but because this is been something that is been a powerful force for good in my own life for my own self. As a straight man, I take no offense to a gay man being proud of their sexuality. I applaud it and I hope it enriches their life the way being an FA has enriched mine. Being an FA has just made me happy in so many ways. I don't see this sexual identity as being a bad thing so I just don't see a good reason not to embrace it fully and encourage others who feel the way I do to do the same. I want them to feel the same joy and self-acceptance I do.
name2come is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #57
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
A Thin Admirer doesn't have to tell anyone they are attracted to thin people, because it is assumed.
Quote:
My sexual identity shouldn't expose me to the need to justify myself as not being shallow when the common view faces no such demands.
Exactly! Years ago, I remember reading (probably here) about a situation where a non-FA had accused an FA of having a narrow fetish, and he replied to his accuser, "You only date women between about 115 and 125 pounds, right? And I date women between 200 and 450 [or whatever, I can't remember the exact numbers he used]. Now which one of us has this narrow weight fetish?"

Quote:
I'm aware that some fat people don't want to date FA's. I don't want to date those fat people, though, so that works out quite perfectly for me. If they are going to regard my physical attraction to them as a negative, I'd rather get that out in the open right away. Because I'm not just interested in banging some hot fatty. My physical attraction is just a part of a total attraction I would want with a partner. And if they cannot accept that about me, it doesn't matter a lick if I think she's got a "smokin' bod". I won't be interested.
Very well said!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #58
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Exactly! Years ago, I remember reading (probably here) about a situation where a non-FA had accused an FA of having a narrow fetish, and he replied to his accuser, "You only date women between about 115 and 125 pounds, right? And I date women between 200 and 450 [or whatever, I can't remember the exact numbers he used]. Now which one of us has this narrow weight fetish?"

Very well said!
Lol I remember that post......he said "You only date women that weigh about 125-135 lbs. I date women that weigh 180 lbs and up. You say that I have a fetish?"

I thought it was one of the best posts I have ever read on Dims

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #59
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Lol I remember that post......he said "You only date women that weigh about 125-135 lbs. I date women that weigh 180 lbs and up. You say that I have a fetish?"

Absolutely.

Also, one of the few scientific papers on FAs that have been published confirm this to be statistically true.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19116865
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #60
superodalisque

i agree. the so called "norm" for attraction seems to be more of a fetish. its a fetish formulated by media and the fashion industry that can't afford to spend more than X amount of dollars for materials for fashion samples. it has very little to do with what most men truly find attractive. men who like heavier women are more the norm. and in general i think FAs are more appreciative and admiring of real women in general since most women are larger and curvier. and as we see on dims they have a much wider range of preference than 20 or so pounds so i think its much fairer to them if they are viewed as woman admirers and not treated as they they are so odd since they are not. you aren't alone guys just more honest.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #61
name2come
And I'm Done. Bye.

name2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going onname2come knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post

Lots of ways to make a good point.

Our sexuality gets treated often as a fetish, but the basis for that is absurd. What is expected of men is a range of maybe 30lbs. I'm attracted to a range of over 300lbs. Why should I feel defensive about charges I'm limiting myself? The basis for downplaying my sexuality is that I will look to many like a fetishist. Well, that's how some straight people view gays, too. As deviants. That's just not the kind of attitude I want guiding my decisions. The fact is, there is nothing deviant for either homosexuality or fat admiration. For FA's, the proof just lies in our own fat admiration. Even the most narrowly focused FA's tend to have a much wider range of sexual attraction that what is expected of the socially common approach. I cannot assent to the definition of me as limiting my options. Its a deep perversion of reality that only serves to advantage the status quo. The status quo needs no such advantages. That's why its the status quo.

I can't imagine not being open about my sexuality advantaging me in any way. I was openly fat admiring when I was pretty young, and I saw what it was like trying to express my sexuality when the interest was unwelcome. Its not healthy to be with someone who doesn't want me to be attracted to her. Seeking a partner who wants me to be interested in them physically is a main part of what I've looked for in my adult life. Even then, there is no guarantee that they will themselves be accepting of their bodies, which is as equally important to me.

Just happening to date fat women strikes me as an awful way to find what I need in a relationship. I have to understand that most fat people in our culture are not happy with their bodies. While many are able to move on from the youthful shame I experienced early on, that still doesn't mean they will provide what I want mentally and emotionally. Being open about who I am is more than finding someone I'm attracted to physically. If anything, its about finding someone I'm attracted to in every other way. Being honest about my sexuality is not just about asserting my identity, its been a very productive tool in searching for the right partner to share my life.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
superodalisque

Quote:
Lots of ways to make a good point.

Our sexuality gets treated often as a fetish, but the basis for that is absurd. What is expected of men is a range of maybe 30lbs. I'm attracted to a range of over 300lbs. Why should I feel defensive about charges I'm limiting myself? The basis for downplaying my sexuality is that I will look to many like a fetishist. Well, that's how some straight people view gays, too. As deviants. That's just not the kind of attitude I want guiding my decisions. The fact is, there is nothing deviant for either homosexuality or fat admiration. For FA's, the proof just lies in our own fat admiration. Even the most narrowly focused FA's tend to have a much wider range of sexual attraction that what is expected of the socially common approach. I cannot assent to the definition of me as limiting my options. Its a deep perversion of reality that only serves to advantage the status quo. The status quo needs no such advantages. That's why its the status quo.

I can't imagine not being open about my sexuality advantaging me in any way. I was openly fat admiring when I was pretty young, and I saw what it was like trying to express my sexuality when the interest was unwelcome. Its not healthy to be with someone who doesn't want me to be attracted to her. Seeking a partner who wants me to be interested in them physically is a main part of what I've looked for in my adult life. Even then, there is no guarantee that they will themselves be accepting of their bodies, which is as equally important to me.

Just happening to date fat women strikes me as an awful way to find what I need in a relationship. I have to understand that most fat people in our culture are not happy with their bodies. While many are able to move on from the youthful shame I experienced early on, that still doesn't mean they will provide what I want mentally and emotionally. Being open about who I am is more than finding someone I'm attracted to physically. If anything, its about finding someone I'm attracted to in every other way. Being honest about my sexuality is not just about asserting my identity, its been a very productive tool in searching for the right partner to share my life.
i really respect your thought process but i feel sad about the idea you have that most fat people hate thier bodies. there are a lot of us who don't and never have. i know that the difficulty people have accepting themselves might be a common thing but thats common for people of all sizes. but, what if we started changing that expectation for people? what if fat people didn't assume that was the general opinion others should have of us and that we have of ourselves. this is part of the root of my problems with the labels. not so much the labels themselves but the assumptions underlying the labels.

maybe the sexuality is treated as a fetish because its often expressed in ways that take it into the realm of fetish--as in the people involved themselves don't seem to view it as normal common and usual?

does being open about your sexuality mean you have to put yourself out there to be approved of and examined? can't you just like what you like as a matter of course with no explaination or labels or a need to be defensive? i don't think that precludes beng supportive or celebratory.

as for happening to date fat women. i don't understand why that would be so problematic. since all women thin or fat are still just women. the only thing that being fat does is exemplify a biological reality. it doesn't define the total person you're dealing with. they are so much more than thier fat. and if thats the only way they relate to the world then they have some serious emotional and mental challenges ahead of them to take up when it comes to finding out who they truly are as human beings. and i'm not so sure it does much justice to men who prefer the look of a fat body to treat them as men who are only all about the pieces instead of men who just have an appreciation for something that is intrinsicly beautiful in and of itself with no need for justification--unless they truly don't believe fat women are beautiful and are just engaging in thier fetishistic orientation with the fat. . its not an odd predisposition. even if someone is not sexually attracted to the same thngs you are it doesn't mean it isn;t beautiful or desireable. the same would be true if someone looked at a thin woman and found her beautiful but not necessarily desireable to him . it doesn't decrease her beauty and it doesn't make the men who appreciate her weird or odd.

i'm not saying there is anything wrong per say with the term FA except that i find it limits people as does BBW and SSBBW. for some it limits them to an abusive past or a present where you are considered and expected to consider yourself somehow substandard. if those expectations weren't applied to the terms i think i would have less trouble with any of them. but its definitely not for me to say what terms you should feel comfortable with and that make you happy. its just that the way things are defined right now and the underlying assumptions appear to put people at a disadvantage and present them as being unequal and makes it look IMO like they agree with that assumed inequality.

Last edited by superodalisque; 02-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #63
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think the basic root of the issue (and all issues discussed on dims for that matter) is the question "is it ok to be fat?". The answer doesn't lie in what is normal in terms of how many people are fat or thin or how many people are attracted to fat people or thin people. For as long as we live in a culture where the answer to that question is 'no', we will face difficulty. As FAs we can contribute a proportion towards overturning that answer into a 'yes' but it won't become a yes until all the other pieces are in place too. Until that point, I think all associated labels will carry a negative burden. I don't think the burden comes from the labels themselves though.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #64
marlowegarp
I wanna meet that dad

marlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging in

Nicely put. I think that a lot of groups believe that the only way they'll be happy in "normal society" is if they can somehow win over the hearts and minds of those outside their group. The problem is, the attempt to win over those hearts and minds often by necessity involves attempting to regulate language and images/ portrayals of that group, which often only causes more resentment. The battle to create a united front is a losing one. Feminists, gays and blacks still don't have a united front, and that's fine. The only group that seems to be able to do that is the republicans. That doesn't mean that if I were with a fat person and someone insulted them, I'd do nothing, but answering the question "is it okay to be fat?" with a yes for oneself is the winnable battle. Progress beyond that is admirable, but being happy with one's size and having the support of your friends and loved ones is what's most important. They are all we really have.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #65
name2come
And I'm Done. Bye.

People are always going to judge us negatively for who we are. I can't burden myself with their judgments, though. One way we can work towards change, though, is by pushing back at their definitions of us as inferior. We can't do that without working to claim our identity, though. I don't think its remotely fair to think that self-identifying as what I am means I am in any way consenting to society's negative judgment of me. Being an FA is who I am. I get that people think less of me for that, but that's not a reason for me to stay quiet. Its a reason for me to speak out. Its a reason for me to live my life without apology to those who think I should be ashamed. I have no interest in giving them an inch for their stigmatization of me. Refusing to identify as who I am doesn't challenge that negativity, it gives into it. Its saying, "You think less of me? Okay, I'll just be quiet then."

Look, changing our society isn't easy. It never is. I don't know what we might be able to accomplish in my life time, but we shouldn't look at this challenge as a reason not to fight for change. I can't just resign myself to an unjust world. I won't despair at it, either. It is going to be a huge effort to get people to think its okay to be fat or okay to find beauty in fat people. The deck is stacked against us in every way imaginable. But I just can't throw up my hands at this state of affairs. I won't delude myself into thinking the world will change because I want to it. But the world will never change unless there are people asking it to. Demanding it too. You need to prepare yourself to be told "NO" time and time again, but you still need to ask for change. Sitting quietly just isn't an option for me, and I hope others will see the same way because the more of us who raise our voices and ask for change, the better chance we'll have of getting it.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #66
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think the basic root of the issue (and all issues discussed on dims for that matter) is the question "is it ok to be fat?". The answer doesn't lie in what is normal in terms of how many people are fat or thin or how many people are attracted to fat people or thin people. For as long as we live in a culture where the answer to that question is 'no', we will face difficulty. As FAs we can contribute a proportion towards overturning that answer into a 'yes' but it won't become a yes until all the other pieces are in place too. Until that point, I think all associated labels will carry a negative burden. I don't think the burden comes from the labels themselves though.
we do have to start answering yes ourselves. thats the main problem. and maybe the nos we are hearing aren't really true opinions but just the opinions people think they should have. or maybe its our own assumed nos? maybe we need to help them by having a better opinion of ourselves and making different assumptions and saying yes ourselves?

i face hardly any of the prejudices i see talked a lot about on dims. i'm not trying to be pretencious when i say that i truly believe its because i don't accept it as my reality--that i am a big no. i accept myself as a yes and people tend to follow my lead. i mean to what point do we create our own reality? when will we be ready to create our own reality? are we really ready to say yes to ourselves or does it serve some other purpose to be a no and to accept being a no? in terms of what SA is about (which i realize is not everything that dims is about) i'm not sure its a good thing that acceptance be about accepting that somehow you are a no. IMO opinion the labels we agree to in good part represent us accepting ourselves our bodies and the bodies we like as being a no at this point because at the moment those labels as defined now represent more of a burden than a celebration.

i personally didn't/don't come here to ask if its okay to be fat but to enjoy the special qualities of my fatness. getting involved in the rest came about as an accident of responding to the environment i was in. i was hoping to find a happy creative fun environment where people enjoyed thier size as did other people. i never came to dims to find out if i was ok or not. i don't think dims has that answer for anyone anyway. and if people are looking for that here thats also really sad because this isn't the place for it. others can't answer that question for you--especially someone who isn't even able to answer that question postively for themselves. . if someone is not okay with themselves maybe its time they start looking at what really is making them feel that way. its not being fat and liking fat. other people do that and don't seem to find themselves invalidated because of it. i think its important to try get to the root of what is making people feel somehow like a no in life. its not fat. IMO thats overly simplistic.

Last edited by superodalisque; 02-08-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #67
CurvaceousBBWLover
Primordial

CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I really don't like the term "fat admirer" either. I am a fat woman admirer, and I also like women who are not fat.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #68
Gspoon
Spoonah

Gspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging inGspoon makes people happy simply by logging in

I like to say "I am fond of women who have a surplus of curves". Better than saying "I am what you call an FA! It is really PC to call us that". But online, when I am talking to someone, I just say "I am an FA" cause that makes more sense for me I think.

FA or my other line. People will still look at me weird no matter how I put it. But I tend to get more "Nice!" and a head nod when I say "I like women who are grander than most" or "I like bigger girls". Why? Because I smile and nod when I say it, it is nothing for ME to be ashamed about. I say it because it is true and I will never be able to hide it.

FAs Ooorah!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #69
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't have anything for or against the term FA, i just don't really use it with anyone outside here because they won't know what it means.

"Chubby Chaser" is mainstreamed enough to include heterosexuals, so i say that or say i find fat guys or bigger guys to be attractive.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #70
steve-aka

steve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going onsteve-aka knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowegarp View Post
I feel like the term FA is kind of the "negro" of the size acceptance world. It's descriptive, benign AND awkward. I feel like years from now there will be a better word and we will laugh about FA/FFA and probably most of the rest of the accepted fat jargon. Instead we will wiggle our fingers in front of our eyes and say "I'm just watching bellyvision." And there will be a United Fat Admirer College Fund.
Fucken-A! I was tryin' to rep ya and I was foiled!

At any rate, "negro" of the SA movement! You are awesome! However, what would you have the term be to describe us? "Lipophilic-Americans"?

Don't answer me here, sir, but answer me at my house tomorrow when we're playing Illuminati...
steve-aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #71
Mikey

Mikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 club
Talking Fa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvaceousBBWLover View Post
I really don't like the term "fat admirer" either. I am a fat woman admirer, and I also like women who are not fat.
I agree with CurvaceousBBWLover!! I too like fat women. FA to me envisions a mound of lard and that is NOT what I admire. I admire the feminine curves of a fat woman. Don't get me wrong, I don't find the word fat offensive. I actually see that as a compliment when talking to a woman. I guess it's all in the usage to me.

I also concur with the premise that outside of the size acceptance movement, no one knows what an FA is (in some countries its a shampoo brand from Germany).

Like another person here who has commented, I have never walked up to someone and said, "hi I am a fat admirer and I find you cute." It is kind of like walking up to a woman and saying, "hi I am a heterosexual (or homosexual) and I find you cute." I think most would think that to be bizarre!

As for a classification, do we really need one? All that the object of our affection needs to know is..."I think you are gorgeous and extremely sexy."
The END!

PS And for the record, I can appreciate the beauty of a thinner woman, I just don't find most to be sexually attractive to me.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #72
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't know if its cause I live in a fairly Black community but its not odd to like "Thick" girls. I've also said things that went over very well like, "I'm in Vegas the land of plastic body's, fake boobs, and spray tans. To me a voluptuous woman with all her curves is just more real and thats almost a dream to me".

I am a little lucky that I'm Huge so a 200 lb. woman seems small to me and I can just tell them from my perspective being a 6'3" 500 lb guy they seem tiny to me.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #73
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've noticed that with my wife. I'm 6'3" and about 360, she's 5'2" and was about 350. To me she doesn't seem all that big, I only really notice how big she actually is when shes surrounded by average size people. Since I'm still bigger than her I don't that "zomg shez heooj !!!" like some of the smaller FAs talk about.
Fat Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #74
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I don't know if its cause I live in a fairly Black community but its not odd to like "Thick" girls. I've also said things that went over very well like, "I'm in Vegas the land of plastic body's, fake boobs, and spray tans. To me a voluptuous woman with all her curves is just more real and thats almost a dream to me".

I am a little lucky that I'm Huge so a 200 lb. woman seems small to me and I can just tell them from my perspective being a 6'3" 500 lb guy they seem tiny to me.
"Thickness" in general is pretty restrictive to most people though. I have friends that claim as such, but they describe it as only having a "little extra," and some don't even consider it that: They just think curvy women that are thin are "Thick."

It varies of course though.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #75
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
"Thickness" in general is pretty restrictive to most people though. I have friends that claim as such, but they describe it as only having a "little extra," and some don't even consider it that: They just think curvy women that are thin are "Thick."

It varies of course though.
man you really got be more than a little curvy to register as thick to me unless you have like super buff legs or something.