Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #76
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just saw my endocrinologist this morning for a followup after increasing my thyroid medicine. And they gave me a sample for a new drug, Victoza.

When I got diagnosed with PCOS in '89 the only remotely effective treatment offered was birth control pills. In the later '90's when Spironolactone and Metformin came onto the scene, I started taking both of them and have had really good results ever since. About a year and a half ago, I added Byetta injections as well. Well, this new drug, Victoza, is supposed to be better than Byetta. More effective, only injected once a day, don't have to time it with mealtime, and doesn't cause as much nausea as Byetta. It'll be interesting to see how it works. This doctor really knows his stuff and if he's excited about this new drug, then I need to give it a try.

Tracy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #77
lozonloz

lozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobettiepurple View Post
I am right there with you! But didn't the birth control pills help with the hair growth? I was under the impression that that might help, because I want to get birth control for that reason. Yikes, I am tired of waxing and I had hoped the hormones in birth contol would help! thanks for the info!
The birth control did help but as I am clinically morbidly obese (though I hate the term) and my family has a history of diabetes (though I am gloriously diabetes free) it means that apparently that type of birth control puts me at risk of blood clots so when I got a new doc she refused to renew the subscription. I wouldnt have minded, she's probably right, except she didnt bother to talk to me about alternatives.

Depending on your weight and family medical history that kind of birth control may work for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #78
Aurora
Kushy Curves

Aurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging in

Thank you all for the wonderful information in this thread.

I was unofficially diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago when small cysts were seen on my ovaries, but at the time that was the only symptom aside from irregular periods (which we attributed to my use of the depo-provera birth control shot, which turns out may have caused the whole thing, including my pseudotumor cerebri). Since then I've developed some other symptoms.

I'm sick and tired of taking pills though. I'm only 24, and I've got medications for allergies, blood pressure, pseudotumor cerebri, and depression/anxiety. However after reading this thread, I'm wondering if my previous doctors haven't just been treating the symptoms instead of the problem.

I can't take regular birth control because it will make my pseudotumor stuff flare up, but I can take progesterone-only which I'd like to try so I can regulate my periods. I'm going to write down the names of the other drugs you folks have mentioned and bring them to my doctor and see what she says. I'll get my endocrine levels tested and see where I'm at. I can't wait to get this stuff figured out.

Now excuse me while I go pluck the nasty thick hairs off my chin. :P

Last edited by Aurora; 04-30-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #79
gobettiepurple
I'm your huckleberry

gobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful information in this thread.

I was unofficially diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago when small cysts were seen on my ovaries, but at the time that was the only symptom aside from irregular periods (which we attributed to my use of the depo-provera birth control shot, which turns out may have caused the whole thing, including my pseudotumor cerebri). Since then I've developed some other symptoms.

I'm sick and tired of taking pills though. I'm only 24, and I've got medications for allergies, blood pressure, pseudotumor cerebri, and depression/anxiety. However after reading this thread, I'm wondering if my previous doctors haven't just been treating the symptoms instead of the problem.

I can't take regular birth control because it will make my pseudotumor stuff flare up, but I can take progesterone-only which I'd like to try so I can regulate my periods. I'm going to write down the names of the other drugs you folks have mentioned and bring them to my doctor and see what she says. I'll get my endocrine levels tested and see where I'm at. I can't wait to get this stuff figured out.

Now excuse me while I go pluck the nasty thick hairs off my chin. :P
My sister also has pseudotumor cerebri . . . she has lost weight and it helped, but she is still taking medication. They think after 20 more pounds that she will be without medication - she is only taking half a pill now, but they are still expensive!

I had a similar development of my PCOS symptoms, they found the cysts first and besides irregular periods [which I have always had] those were my only symtoms. It is only now, a few years later, that more symptoms are developing. I think I will also get my endocrine levels checked too!

Its great to have people that understand!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #80
Aurora
Kushy Curves

Aurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobettiepurple View Post
My sister also has pseudotumor cerebri . . . she has lost weight and it helped, but she is still taking medication. They think after 20 more pounds that she will be without medication - she is only taking half a pill now, but they are still expensive!

I had a similar development of my PCOS symptoms, they found the cysts first and besides irregular periods [which I have always had] those were my only symtoms. It is only now, a few years later, that more symptoms are developing. I think I will also get my endocrine levels checked too!

Its great to have people that understand!
I'm glad your sister is doing well! I was actually taken of my pseudotumor meds 5 months after all my symptoms had disappeared, but almost two years later the optic nerve pressure came back (but I was bad and hadn't been getting it checked up on), so I had to do the whole spinal tap and all that again. Still symptom free, but losing weight too. Like I say, I'm really sick of taking pills! :P

And yeah, it's definitely great to have so many people who understand. It's like a support group but without the awkward silences lol.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #81
emmandale
Internet Shopping Addict

emmandale can now change their title

I have PCOS and first sought treatment from a Reproductive Endocrinologist even though I wasn't trying to get pregnant at the time. I currently take 1500mg of Metformin XR every day. I also take Birth Control pills to help prevent cysts from developing on my ovaries.

When I was ready for motherhood I was able to able to conceive my two children with just the help of the Metformin regulating my cycles. Before I started Metformin I would only get a period every other month. My doctor also had me do basal body temperature charting to find out my fertile time. If I had not been successful with just the Metformin and charting I would have next gone on Clomid.

I did have to be on progesterone suppositories for the first three months of each pregnancy due to my low progesterone levels which is common with women with PCOS. I highly recommend anyone that is able to go see a reproductive endocrinologist rather than just a ob/gyn.
emmandale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #82
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community

At my heaviest I was misdiagnosed with PCOS and then tested later.
I had every symptom but when my hormone levels came back only one that was out of whack was my follicle stimulating hormone.
I also am hypothyroid. I truly think that my problems were caused by how heavy I was causing a hormonal imbalance. fat stores and produces estrogen.
I had horrible menstrual flooding(eventual needing a d&c to remove thickened endometrium),ovarian cysts,hirsutism, dark skin in folds and neck area,Diabetes,high blood pressure the list goes on....It's all gone now(minus facial hair) and I am pregnant. The endocrinologist guess that my FSH would regulate with weight loss and he was right. I know it is scary to get diagnosed with something but it is awesome to KNOW what is going on instead of just guessing.There was a point after I was diagnosed with thyroid disease and diabetes where i was like OK NO MORE DIAGNOSIS. I hated being this list of syndromes and diseases! Anyway,get the answers because you cannot move forward until that is figured out.

True
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #83
gobettiepurple
I'm your huckleberry

gobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebebeblue View Post
At my heaviest I was misdiagnosed with PCOS and then tested later.
I had every symptom but when my hormone levels came back only one that was out of whack was my follicle stimulating hormone.
I also am hypothyroid. I truly think that my problems were caused by how heavy I was causing a hormonal imbalance. fat stores and produces estrogen.
I had horrible menstrual flooding(eventual needing a d&c to remove thickened endometrium),ovarian cysts,hirsutism, dark skin in folds and neck area,Diabetes,high blood pressure the list goes on....It's all gone now(minus facial hair) and I am pregnant. The endocrinologist guess that my FSH would regulate with weight loss and he was right. I know it is scary to get diagnosed with something but it is awesome to KNOW what is going on instead of just guessing.There was a point after I was diagnosed with thyroid disease and diabetes where i was like OK NO MORE DIAGNOSIS. I hated being this list of syndromes and diseases! Anyway,get the answers because you cannot move forward until that is figured out.

True
You are totally right - I need to be an adult and stop pretending it will just go away. I lost weight and the problem is still the same if not worse. As soon as I get back on my Dad's health insurance, I am going to the endocrinologist! I don't care if my primary care physician says "lose weight" - I am so tired of hearing that from doctors! lol . . . thank you for your input everyone, it is truly helpful!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #84
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah... I need to get over my fear of the doctor. I haven't had a real period since July.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #85
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've never been to the gyn. I rarely have periods and if I do they're either spotty or ax murderer flow. I've asked doctors about missing periods or no period and been told it's normal when you're fat to have abnormal periods. The last doctor didn't even ask about my female bits. He did ask me if I wanted to have gastic bypass which I kindly declined.
I know I need to get checked out. My mother, sister and aunt have all had uteran cancer.