Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #226
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mannitol is often put in sugar-free or diet candies and can cause a diuretic effect which includes diarrhea.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #227
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Mannitol is often put in sugar-free or diet candies and can cause a diuretic effect which includes diarrhea.
Actually I believe it is called maltitol. It is currently being used in quite a lot of sugar free items that are not usually sugar free such as hard candies and chocolates. I myself cannot process it well at all and have had a massive negative experience with it in sugar free chocolate. And yes the experience involved lots and lots of bathroom time. And pain.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #228
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Actually I believe it is called maltitol. It is currently being used in quite a lot of sugar free items that are not usually sugar free such as hard candies and chocolates. I myself cannot process it well at all and have had a massive negative experience with it in sugar free chocolate. And yes the experience involved lots and lots of bathroom time. And pain.
I would give you a link if you like, but they all seem to be in irritating pdf format but I can assure you, the particular chemical I speak of is mannitol.

EDT: Neither of us is wrong. They're both artificial sweeteners used in candy and both have a diuretic effect.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #229
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

saw this one foodgawker..I think I will have to give it a try!

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpres...h-a-new-twist/

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #230
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
This just in--just saw this on TV--zero calories and carbs!

http://www.drinkwhat.com/mio-liquid-water-enhancer/
Target has a $1 off coupon for this on their website!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #231
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
saw this one foodgawker..I think I will have to give it a try!

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpres...h-a-new-twist/

Could someone describe the taste/flavor and VERY IMPORTANT texture of quinoa cos the person I live with won't eat any other starch but rice and sometimes pasta.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #232
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Could someone describe the taste/flavor and VERY IMPORTANT texture of quinoa cos the person I live with won't eat any other starch but rice and sometimes pasta.

He married you and he only sometimes eats pasta? Holy crap.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #233
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
He married you and he only sometimes eats pasta? Holy crap.
Exactly .

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #234
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Exactly .

When you talk about the dinners you make, I die a little inside from want.

Haha.

I think I need to have a word with him.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #235
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
When you talk about the dinners you make, I die a little inside from want.

Haha.

I think I need to have a word with him.
I tried ten years of words. Do you honestly want your head to explode?

Do you know what his favorite food in the whole wide world is, what he could eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day, seven days a week?

Boiled unseasoned chicken cooked in water and plain white rice.

I wish I was joking.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #236
Surlysomething

Quote:
I tried ten years of words. Do you honestly want your head to explode?

Do you know what his favorite food in the whole wide world is, what he could eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day, seven days a week?

Boiled unseasoned chicken cooked in water and plain white rice.

I wish I was joking.

Wow. I tried to type something about that meal, but I can't find the words.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #237
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
quinoa is actually really good. It's texture is akin to couscous or lentils. It is bland so it takes the flavor of whatever you put in it really well. It's good sweet or savory. Flavor it with butter, raisins or cranberries, salt, and cook it in chicken stock. It fluffs up when it's done.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #238
MisticalMisty

Quote:
It really takes on any flavor that you add to it. The texture is soft...I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Rob will ONLY eat angel hair and he didn't mind the texture.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #239
MisticalMisty

I bought 12 boxes of sugar free jello, 4 cans of Redi Whip Fat free-only 1 carb per tbsp...and I bought the berry/pom, strawberry/watermelon, and fruit munch MiO water enhancement.

Picking up some cheese sticks tomorrow!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #240
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Thank YOU for asking this question. I see it in the stores and think, "Hmm.. wish someone will tell me what this stuff is like before I attempt to use it.."
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #241
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Thank YOU for asking this question. I see it in the stores and think, "Hmm.. wish someone will tell me what this stuff is like before I attempt to use it.."
It's really easy to cook with...make sure you rinse it under cold water before you cook with it. I cook mine in stock, and a little butter.

You can check foodgawker or even youtube for some great videos and recipes!

I just tried the Strawberry/Watermelon MiO..OMG soo good!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #242
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]It's really easy to cook with...make sure you rinse it under cold water before you cook with it. I cook mine in stock, and a little butter.

You can check foodgawker or even youtube for some great videos and recipes!
Why? Will I encounter something like the blob in Sleeper? (at 7:50 in this clip..)

Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #243
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Why? Will I encounter something like the blob in Sleeper? (at 7:50 in this clip..)
It has like a dusty film on it. I guess you don't have to rinse it...but I do..and since I said so..you should do it
Old 04-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #244
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

CP - Thanks for the heads up on another ingredient to avoid. I don't like the aftereffects at all.

And I freaking love quinoa. I never had it before and bought a preflavored kind that was from Uncle Ben's that you nuke in the package and eat. Hubby and I were fighting over the dregs left in the bottom of the package. The texture is great, IMO. And I have never made it plain, so I trust what the others have said about it taking on the flavors because the Uncle Bens is just awesome.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #245
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
CP - Thanks for the heads up on another ingredient to avoid. I don't like the aftereffects at all.

And I freaking love quinoa. I never had it before and bought a preflavored kind that was from Uncle Ben's that you nuke in the package and eat. Hubby and I were fighting over the dregs left in the bottom of the package. The texture is great, IMO. And I have never made it plain, so I trust what the others have said about it taking on the flavors because the Uncle Bens is just awesome.
I had no idea there was a premade Uncle Bens! Wow, I have to try it. Screw Mister Plain White Rice....I'm getting me some quinoa. LOL

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #246
MisticalMisty

Quote:

I didn't know this either! I'm so going to look for it the next time we go shopping!

ETA..Is it the Whole Grain Medley?

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 04-17-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #247
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Trying to find out if my local grocer has quinoa- found this recipe

Quinoa Corn Cakes

Ingredients
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup corn (use drained canned or frozen)
1/2 cup low/reduced fat Laura Lynn ricotta cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, diced

Directions
1. Beat egg and egg white together. Add in remaining ingredients. Spray pan with non-stick spray and add about 2 tsp of canola oil to coat bottom of pan. Heat saute pan.

2. Spoon out mixture onto heated pan and cook until slightly browned. Turn carefully and brown other side.

http://www.ingles-markets.com/recipes/recipes.php?id=41

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #248
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Trying to find out if my local grocer has quinoa- found this recipe

Quinoa Corn Cakes

Ingredients
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup corn (use drained canned or frozen)
1/2 cup low/reduced fat Laura Lynn ricotta cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, diced

Directions
1. Beat egg and egg white together. Add in remaining ingredients. Spray pan with non-stick spray and add about 2 tsp of canola oil to coat bottom of pan. Heat saute pan.

2. Spoon out mixture onto heated pan and cook until slightly browned. Turn carefully and brown other side.

http://www.ingles-markets.com/recipes/recipes.php?id=41
Be careful with corn! It can really raise your blood sugar quickly.

I have found Quinoa in Walmart and Target. It's normally by the rice on the top shelf!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #249
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Quote:
I had no idea there was a premade Uncle Bens! Wow, I have to try it. Screw Mister Plain White Rice....I'm getting me some quinoa. LOL
Quote:
I didn't know this either! I'm so going to look for it the next time we go shopping!

ETA..Is it the Whole Grain Medley?
Yes, I believe it is the Whole Grain Medley. Seriously I think you just stand it in the microwave for 90 seconds and then pour it out of the bag. It isn't cheap as plain white rice, but for taste and convenience, it can't be beat.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #250
MisticalMisty

nevermind!

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 04-17-2011 at 06:31 PM.