Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #351
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I made a low carb chicken wing recipe in my dutch oven last week. Chicken wings, soy sauce, splenda, fresh grated ginger and red pepper flakes. It was alright but it needs something. Any ideas?
I would try a splash of vinegar. I would probably try rice wine or apple cider vinegar. Maybe even some sesame oil...oh and garlic for sure..maybe even some sliced green onions.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #352
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I also forgot to mention some red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat if you can take it!

A snack for today...cheese crackers

Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #353
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I also forgot to mention some red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat if you can take it!

A snack for today...cheese crackers

Nice cheese crackers!

And thanks for the suggestions. I will add some more pepper next time. I was aiming for Chinese chicken but I'm liking the onion and garlic idea too.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #354
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Nice cheese crackers!

And thanks for the suggestions. I will add some more pepper next time. I was aiming for Chinese chicken but I'm liking the onion and garlic idea too.
I love garlic in my asian dishes! I don't know well the green onion will hold up to the crockpot!

Thanks! Who knew melting cheese in the microwave could taste so yummy!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #355
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I made a low carb chicken wing recipe in my dutch oven last week. Chicken wings, soy sauce, splenda, fresh grated ginger and red pepper flakes. It was alright but it needs something. Any ideas?
Marinate in soy sauce and Sherry for 1 hour...

Then, make the wing sauce:
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup hoisin (Dynasty isn't the best brand ever) sauce
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp hot chili/garlic sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/3 cup sugar (splenda)
1/3 cup white vinegar

(to thicken, use 1 1/2 tsp of cornstarch & a tiny bit of water - until it dissolves....not sure if you can use some...)

Deep fry the wings in PEANUT OIL...make sure they're dry.
Then, clean out the oil from the pan and put your wing sauce into the pan/wok (until it boils)
Then add the thickener and keep stirring until the sauce becomes thick. Once the wings are covered in sauce...eat up!
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #356
SparklingBBW
What's new pussycat?

SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojodi View Post
I find some of the recipes disturbing. It's a great thing to reduce the TOTAL carbohydrates in your diet, but to replace them with HIGH fat and sodium is just as bad, maybe even more so.

Do these recipes take into account that some people cannot properly digest animal fat? Do these recipes take into account those people that have a problem with sodium?
I have to second what Misty says. MY body doesn't have as much of a "health" issue with fat and salt but it does have issues with carbs. There are studies that back up both sides of this "debate". Personally, I feel WE know what's best for our bodies and can decide accordingly. Salt and fat not good for you, then don't eat it and don't hang out a low carb thread.
SparklingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #357
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
These recipes are YMMV...meaning, your mileage may vary.
Also, there is research that a low fat, low calorie diet can be a bad thing.

We are all adults and can make our own choices for our bodies. Don't like the recipes...don't cook them. But, please don't come in here preaching to us about what is and isn't good for our bodies.
I have a double whammy: diabetes AND problematic liver. And my liver wasn't harmed the old fashioned way either - Vitamin B pills screwed me, not alcohol. There are people that assume that a low sugar/low carb food will be good for you. Not if you don't use the serving size.

Low calorie diets are dangerous, I admit that. I see a nutritionist, my calories are about 1800-2000 per day, 50-60 TOTAL carbohydrates per meal. Does that mean I go overboard on some meal? Sure does. Do I always trim the fat off of pork chops before cooking or eating? NEVER before cooking, and off before I eat ONLY if someone's watching.

Yes, we are adults here, but there is research that high fat diets, high protein diets are bad, too.

Just saying
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #358
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingBBW View Post
I have to second what Misty says. MY body doesn't have as much of a "health" issue with fat and salt but it does have issues with carbs. There are studies that back up both sides of this "debate". Personally, I feel WE know what's best for our bodies and can decide accordingly. Salt and fat not good for you, then don't eat it and don't hang out a low carb thread.
I've learned to reduce my fat by subsititution: turkey bacon, chicken sausage. I've learned to reduce portion sizes: 1 or 2 slices of pizza at a meal fill me up.

YES I do still have pizza. I'm diabetic, NOT dead.

Elimination of garlic salt in recipes is a great way to reduce sodium intake. Use garlic powder or granulated garlic.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #359
Rojodi

Quote:
I bake the wings at a hgh temperature, coat them first with a little oil, salt and pepper. Then I put my hot sauce on them: the family things I'm strange since I drink Frank's Hot Sauce from the bottle.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #360
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I have a double whammy: diabetes AND problematic liver. And my liver wasn't harmed the old fashioned way either - Vitamin B pills screwed me, not alcohol. There are people that assume that a low sugar/low carb food will be good for you. Not if you don't use the serving size.

Low calorie diets are dangerous, I admit that. I see a nutritionist, my calories are about 1800-2000 per day, 50-60 TOTAL carbohydrates per meal. Does that mean I go overboard on some meal? Sure does. Do I always trim the fat off of pork chops before cooking or eating? NEVER before cooking, and off before I eat ONLY if someone's watching.

Yes, we are adults here, but there is research that high fat diets, high protein diets are bad, too.

Just saying

Wow. Thanks for the info.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #361
MisticalMisty

Quote:

Just saying
There is evidence that a high fat, high protein diet is good for you as well. You'll have to chose which propaganda you want to believe.

My body doesn't tolerate 50-60 carbs per meal. I have no liver issues, no heart issues, no cholesterol issues, so my way of eating works for me.

We all have access to the research. Watch the movie FatHead. It will open your eyes.

If you want to debate diets...take it to Hyde Park or the Health Board. This is a thread for those of us to post low carb recipes and product reviews. Not a place to declare a superior way of eating.

Now, on with the low carb yummies!

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 10-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #362
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I've learned to reduce my fat by subsititution: turkey bacon, chicken sausage. I've learned to reduce portion sizes: 1 or 2 slices of pizza at a meal fill me up.

YES I do still have pizza. I'm diabetic, NOT dead.

Elimination of garlic salt in recipes is a great way to reduce sodium intake. Use garlic powder or granulated garlic.
Yes and I have four dead relatives in my family to my count: all of them women, all of them obese, all of whom were made sicker via outdated creeds about diet and health similar to yours. Thank you for sharing but as has already been said several times here already, YRMV.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #363
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Rojodi, you've said what you felt you needed to say, and now let's move on. This isn't the appropriate board for health or diet lectures.

SoVerySoft
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #364
Rojodi

Has anyone else run into this:

Using Splenda in applesauce and the tartness when still warm has increased?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #365
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Folks my sister just gifted me with a Ronco Rotisserie machine! XD I'm so excited. I couldn't wait for it to come in the mail. Now that it's here I'm just sitting here looking at it. I don't know what to try. Anyone have one? I'm really hoping this will help me to eat better this winter.

@~;~~
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #366
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Folks my sister just gifted me with a Ronco Rotisserie machine! XD I'm so excited. I couldn't wait for it to come in the mail. Now that it's here I'm just sitting here looking at it. I don't know what to try. Anyone have one? I'm really hoping this will help me to eat better this winter.
Lilly, all I can say is...those things make the BEST turkeys ever. The trick is just to find one small enough to fit in. I think 10 lbs was the limit, but oh my, so juicy and delish!

Other than that, all I ever did was chickens. Lame, I know.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #367
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

ooh how about a gyro/souvlaki type thing. Marinate pieces of chicken or pork or lamb, stack on the stick thingy and let it cook. I'm thinking crunchy caramelized outside, moist juicy inside, and you can slice of as much as you like for days.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #368
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
ooh how about a gyro/souvlaki type thing. Marinate pieces of chicken or pork or lamb, stack on the stick thingy and let it cook. I'm thinking crunchy caramelized outside, moist juicy inside, and you can slice of as much as you like for days.
Ooh, where would I get something like that? I'd be into it.

@~;~~
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #369
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
My bff has one and makes the best turkey and chicken in it. She said her maximum turkey size is 15 lbs. She has also used it for roasts and other big chunks of meat. I don't think she has made any small things in it. She doesn't usually make small things anyway, so it is nothing against the machine.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #370
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I have one (well it's at the house and I have yet to retrieve it but I will) and I put dry rubs on chickens and used to make at least two a week--one for eating that night and one for snacking and recipes that required cooked chicken. There's nothing like a rotisserie chicken. I grew up on rotisseries because my Italian grandma swore by them.

Mine is the big one and I could cook three medium chickens or two oven roasters at a time.

EDT: Just remembered, mine came with kebob rods and I DID make pork and beef kebobs pretty often. I marinated the pork in pineapple or orange juice 8 hours-overnight and the beef in Robusto Italian dressing, but also olive oil with fresh chopped garlic and herbs works well too. I'm allergic to peppers to alternate with the meat so I used things like grape tomatoes, pineapple chunks, peach slices, apricots, chunks of red onion, marinated mushrooms, etc.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 10-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #371
MisticalMisty

Philly cheese steaks!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #372
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I saw this recipe for a crustless pizza and thought of this thread. I might try it since i really don't care for bready things.. (like crust)

http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2...ustless-pizza/
Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #373
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I saw this recipe for a crustless pizza and thought of this thread. I might try it since i really don't care for bready things.. (like crust)

http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2...ustless-pizza/
Have you tried it yet?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #374
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not yet, too much sickness entered my home to do much cooking other than totally convenient stuff! I will try it some weekend when everyone's well though
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #375
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Have you tried it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
Not yet, too much sickness entered my home to do much cooking other than totally convenient stuff! I will try it some weekend when everyone's well though
I bought all the stuff for it but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I will on Sunday.

@~;~~