Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #376
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Ooh, where would I get something like that? I'd be into it.
I'm not sure what you are asking, do you mean a recipe?
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #377
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
I'm not sure what you are asking, do you mean a recipe?
Yes. I hear the gyro meat you buy in the market is soggy and not good. I'm not certain how it's made, what it's made of or where you could go to get meat for gyros. Doesn't looking its anything I've seen at the meat counter or the deli. Yes, I'm truly ignorant about it. I don't know.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #378
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Yes. I hear the gyro meat you buy in the market is soggy and not good. I'm not certain how it's made, what it's made of or where you could go to get meat for gyros. Doesn't looking its anything I've seen at the meat counter or the deli. Yes, I'm truly ignorant about it. I don't know.
The pressed stuff available commercially (there is a vid of how they manufacture it on NYTimes.com), I have no idea about replicating but gyro with real lamb or pork is doable. I don't eat much red meat so usually opt for shawarma version where chicken or turkey is used. I found that turkey thigh meat works really well and sometimes swap half for chicken breast. Basically you take the meat off the bones in large flat pieces/slices. Then marinate with Middle Eastern or greek spices, garlic, herbs and olive oil (I keep kosher so haven't tried it but yogurt in the marinade is also common) for a few hours or overnight. Then stack the pieces of your chosen meat on the spit until the outside is brown and crackly, then slice vertically.

My rotiserrie is horizontal and it still works but if yours is vertical its even better as it lets the fat and flavor seep down to all the meat.

I couldn't find good videos but these give the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7-gDTt9V98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPEcWO_4fE
Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #379
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
The pressed stuff available commercially (there is a vid of how they manufacture it on NYTimes.com), I have no idea about replicating but gyro with real lamb or pork is doable. I don't eat much red meat so usually opt for shawarma version where chicken or turkey is used. I found that turkey thigh meat works really well and sometimes swap half for chicken breast. Basically you take the meat off the bones in large flat pieces/slices. Then marinate with Middle Eastern or greek spices, garlic, herbs and olive oil (I keep kosher so haven't tried it but yogurt in the marinade is also common) for a few hours or overnight. Then stack the pieces of your chosen meat on the spit until the outside is brown and crackly, then slice vertically.

My rotiserrie is horizontal and it still works but if yours is vertical its even better as it lets the fat and flavor seep down to all the meat.

I couldn't find good videos but these give the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7-gDTt9V98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPEcWO_4fE
Thanks mentioning the Shawarma, i've often wanted to try gyros but could not get past the idea of lamb. Just googled shawarma in my city and found a restaurant with very positive reviews. Will visit with a friend this weekend!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #380
crayola box

Report back on how it was!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #381
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lilly - I don't know if this is something you might like but a middle eastern friend of mine made this for me once and I make it now.

I use chicken thighs with bone (no need to pay extra) and prep them by taking off the skin and any extra fatty bits. Throw the thighs in a bowl, preferably one that seals. Mix together a carton of regular (not vanilla) yogurt, black pepper and either lemon juice (my preference) or white vinegar. I usually make about 12 -16 thighs with 24 oz of yogurt and 4 oz. of the acid.

Pour the mixture of the chicken, toss it around to coat, then seal and refrigerate overnight. I don't grill so when I cook it, I bake it.

You take a large baking pan and spray with cooking oil. Remove the thighs from the bag and shake off the excess and place in the pan. I then shake on a mediterranean herb mixture. Usually some ground garlic, a bit of salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45mins to one hour until done. The meat is juicy and delicious. You can eat right off the bone, or pull the meat off the bone to eat on pita with veggies and some sauce of your choice. The meat alone is awesome.

I love it because it has some tanginess and some spice from the herbs. Usually I pull off the meat from the leftovers and freeze for a future use.

The excess yogurt marinade needs to be thrown away.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #382
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Lilly - I don't know if this is something you might like but a middle eastern friend of mine made this for me once and I make it now.

I use chicken thighs with bone (no need to pay extra) and prep them by taking off the skin and any extra fatty bits. Throw the thighs in a bowl, preferably one that seals. Mix together a carton of regular (not vanilla) yogurt, black pepper and either lemon juice (my preference) or white vinegar. I usually make about 12 -16 thighs with 24 oz of yogurt and 4 oz. of the acid.

Pour the mixture of the chicken, toss it around to coat, then seal and refrigerate overnight. I don't grill so when I cook it, I bake it.

You take a large baking pan and spray with cooking oil. Remove the thighs from the bag and shake off the excess and place in the pan. I then shake on a mediterranean herb mixture. Usually some ground garlic, a bit of salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45mins to one hour until done. The meat is juicy and delicious. You can eat right off the bone, or pull the meat off the bone to eat on pita with veggies and some sauce of your choice. The meat alone is awesome.

I love it because it has some tanginess and some spice from the herbs. Usually I pull off the meat from the leftovers and freeze for a future use.

The excess yogurt marinade needs to be thrown away.
I'm going to try this....thanks for posting!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #383
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I'm going to try this....thanks for posting!
Let me know if you like it. My husband did not like chicken on the bone and if he did, he would only eat breast meat. This recipe is how and when he started eating thigh meat on the bone. It truly is tangy and juicy and delicious. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #384
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thigh meat on (or off!) the bone totally rocks...soooo much better than breasts...!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #385
lypeaches

It was delicious! I think, however, that I needed to use more vinegar for a bit more tang...I used about 1/3 cup vinegar to about 16 oz yogurt for 8 large thighs. Next time I will up it to 1/2 cup like DABunny uses. I thought for a small batch it would be less, but apparently not! Or maybe it's just to taste
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #386
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Quote:
It was delicious! I think, however, that I needed to use more vinegar for a bit more tang...I used about 1/3 cup vinegar to about 16 oz yogurt for 8 large thighs. Next time I will up it to 1/2 cup like DABunny uses. I thought for a small batch it would be less, but apparently not! Or maybe it's just to taste
I am so glad that you enjoyed it. I love the tang and the acid really helps to make the meat tender. Definitely add more next time if you like the tanginess.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #387
lypeaches

yep.. will do. I can see that the lemon juice would be awesome...but since lemons are kind of pricey these days, I was hoping for the cheap fix for "every day" cooking!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #388
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I already seasoned up my chicken thighs and put them in the freezer. Next batch I buy I will try this recipe. It sounds delish!

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #389
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Quote:
yep.. will do. I can see that the lemon juice would be awesome...but since lemons are kind of pricey these days, I was hoping for the cheap fix for "every day" cooking!
I don't use fresh squeezed, I use the stuff in the plastic lemon. But I use white vinegar many times just because I always have that on hand. Don't forget the black pepper during the marinading, it really helps too.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #390
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Low carb noms!

creamed spinach and mashed turnips with a bacon pan sauce

creamed spinach-MUCH better than Boston Markets!

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #391
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

OMG Misty, that looks so freaking good. Please share the recipe for the creamed spinach.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #392
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

MISTY I NEED THAT RECIPE TOO, Pretty please!!! loveyouhugsbyeybyeprettylady

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #393
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
OMG Misty, that looks so freaking good. Please share the recipe for the creamed spinach.
Seconded! .

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #394
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sure thing lovies!

I substituted 2 boxes of frozen, thawed and drained spinach for the fresh and I also used some fiesta blend shredded cheese I had in the fridge. This is really awesome stuff!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup minced onions
salt
fresh ground black pepper
3 lbs fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease a 6 cup casserole.
In a large saute pan, melt the remaining butter.
Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
Saute for about 2 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Add the spinach.
Season with salt and pepper.
Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cream.
Mix well.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Simmer the mixture for 6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and turn into the prepared pan.
Add 1/2 of cheese to casserole and stir.
Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the grated cheese and place in the oven.
Bake for about 4 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. **I put this under the broiler after 6 minutes to add more color to the cheese..that's how I like my cheese!**
Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #395
SuzyQutsy

SuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized rep

Quote:
The Hairy Bikers actually make Gyro meat in one episode. The Hairy Bikers is a BBC cooking show about a couple of bikers who are hairy and like to cook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvrkqMei4c
SuzyQutsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #396
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm pretty sure Alton Brown has done it once before on his show too.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #397
SuzyQutsy

SuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
I'm pretty sure Alton Brown has done it once before on his show too.
I haven't seen it, but I can imagine him doing it, that would be a cool episode, I love Alton Brown.
SuzyQutsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #398
MisticalMisty

Off wagon..getting back on..need motivation, ideas..blah blah blah..lol
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #399
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Sure thing lovies!

I substituted 2 boxes of frozen, thawed and drained spinach for the fresh and I also used some fiesta blend shredded cheese I had in the fridge. This is really awesome stuff!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup minced onions
salt
fresh ground black pepper
3 lbs fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease a 6 cup casserole.
In a large saute pan, melt the remaining butter.
Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
Saute for about 2 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Add the spinach.
Season with salt and pepper.
Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cream.
Mix well.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Simmer the mixture for 6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and turn into the prepared pan.
Add 1/2 of cheese to casserole and stir.
Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the grated cheese and place in the oven.
Bake for about 4 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. **I put this under the broiler after 6 minutes to add more color to the cheese..that's how I like my cheese!**

I made this tonight Misty... it was absolutely delicious!!
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #400
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
I made this tonight Misty... it was absolutely delicious!!
oh yay! I'm glad you thought so too. I'm thinking about adding some chicken or something else to make it into a main course!