Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #476
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I read about it, haven't tried it. I usually add textured vegetable protein to my rice at a 1 to 1 ratio when i'm making it in the rice cooker. It helps with that need for a starchy texture.
I made a wonderful lasagna last night without noodles. Didn't miss them one bit. I used thinly sliced eggplant instead.
Also, the dreamfield pasta is great for that once a week pasta meal. (We used to eat pasta several times a week and now we MAY have it once a week, usually less)
That actually sounds really good- like eggplant parmesan. Holy cow- I might have to try that!

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #477
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My five year old at that lasagna and turned his nose up at the pasta based lasagna.. so that says something on flavor!

Last edited by HottiMegan; 09-04-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: oop, he's five now!
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #478
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Flax Wrap

http://primalfav.blogspot.com/2012/0...seed-wrap.html

3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 large egg
1 Tbsp water
(Your personal seasonings added)

Mix the flax with baking powder, and coconut oil. Beat the egg with the water, and mix everything together. On medium high (I was at 6.5-7), cook on both sides for a few minutes. The flax taste is bit overwhelming, but seasoning can definitely take care of it. It was pretty bland my first time, but I added a nice kick when I added cayenne to it the second time. I used it to replace bread with breakfast.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal

Last edited by Jon Blaze; 09-07-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Adding a title
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #479
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Back on the wagon. If you have any new low carb noms, I'd love to see them.

I have a few that I'll post soon.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #480
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Back on the wagon. If you have any new low carb noms, I'd love to see them.

I have a few that I'll post soon.
Great minds think alike, I'm back on too. Trying to get my cholesterol under control. I made portabella mushroom pizzas one night and it was so so. I need some ideas too.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #481
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Great minds think alike, I'm back on too. Trying to get my cholesterol under control. I made portabella mushroom pizzas one night and it was so so. I need some ideas too.
Maybe we can keep each other motivated. We are going to try paleo again. I'm just not looking forward to all the cooking involved. I need to meal plan..hate to meal plan..lol

I know for sure I'm making banana nut muffins for breakfast and we'll probably have pizza and ham biscuits again at some point. My goal is to try at least some of the recipes I've pinned!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #482
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sweet baby Jesus, it's a cheesecake recipe!

I'm in. I am short on ideas and need to expand my choices.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #483
MisticalMisty

Making pizza tonight using my favorite crust:

2 cups almond flour
2 eggs
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c parmesean cheese *i use the can for this*

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients until combined. You will have a very sticky dough! Line a baking pan with parchment paper...spread dough out using parchment paper...bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. top with favorite toppings and pop under the broiler until done how you like it!

I love this crust because it holds up..unlike some of the other low carb crusts which are soggy or limp. bleck

Here's a pic from one I made in the past. I doubled the recipe so that we could have some for the week! My side has the veggies and Rob's does not. lol

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 01-04-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #484
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Making pizza tonight using my favorite crust:

2 cups almond flour
2 eggs
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c parmesean cheese *i use the can for this*

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients until combined. You will have a very sticky dough! Line a baking pan with parchment paper...spread dough out using parchment paper...bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. top with favorite toppings and pop under the broiler until done how you like it!

I love this crust because it holds up..unlike some of the other low carb crusts which are soggy or limp. bleck

Here's a pic from one I made in the past. I doubled the recipe so that we could have some for the week! My side has the veggies and Rob's does not. lol

I need to just ante up and buy some almond flour. That looks good.

@~;~~
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #485
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I got a pound of xylitol at Whole Foods. I've tried it in coffee, lemonade, on a particularly sour grapefruit, and in whipped cream over strawberries. It tastes almost like sugar to me, hasn't caused any stomach issues, and hasn't caused a blood glucose spike. So far, so good.

I bought some almond flour a while back but never really did anything with it. I think I am going to use it with the xylitol to try and make some lowcarb brownies.

Anybody else use xylitol? Done any baking with it?

Tracy
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #486
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I made these brownies: http://www.stacymakescents.com/almond-flour-brownies

I made one modification to the recipe. Instead of the 1/4 teaspoon of stevia extract, I added an extra couple tablespoons of granulated xylitol. I just can't get past the bitterness of stevia, and didn't want to end up wasting some pretty expensive ingredients if it was too noticeable in the end product.

The texture while warm was very rich and soft and buttery but not really gooey or fudgy. They have a heavy bittersweet chocolate flavor, which I like. Served cold from the refrigerator, the texture is a lot firmer from the butter hardening, but it's still somewhat soft. I can tell that they're not sweetened with cane sugar, but they don't have a bitterness or lingering aftertaste that I find with other alternative sweeteners. It's obvious that they're not a traditional brownie recipe, but they're pretty good. They'll do just fine for when I want something chocolate and baked, but don't want to blow my daily carb "budget" all at once.

Tracy
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #487
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
I made these brownies: http://www.stacymakescents.com/almond-flour-brownies

I made one modification to the recipe. Instead of the 1/4 teaspoon of stevia extract, I added an extra couple tablespoons of granulated xylitol. I just can't get past the bitterness of stevia, and didn't want to end up wasting some pretty expensive ingredients if it was too noticeable in the end product.

The texture while warm was very rich and soft and buttery but not really gooey or fudgy. They have a heavy bittersweet chocolate flavor, which I like. Served cold from the refrigerator, the texture is a lot firmer from the butter hardening, but it's still somewhat soft. I can tell that they're not sweetened with cane sugar, but they don't have a bitterness or lingering aftertaste that I find with other alternative sweeteners. It's obvious that they're not a traditional brownie recipe, but they're pretty good. They'll do just fine for when I want something chocolate and baked, but don't want to blow my daily carb "budget" all at once.

Tracy
I can't tolerate stevia. It gives me terrible headaches for some reason. I'm kind of afraid of xylitol though. Doesn't it make you go go go? I may try it if I can do so with a small amount.

@~;~~
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #488
MisticalMisty

I love, love, love stevia. However, I only like the Sweet Leaf brand. Make sure you read your labels. A lot of Stevia products on the market..especially Truvia, have additives, etc.

You also have to use the tiniest amount. I always cut the Stevia amount in half..and then sometimes even more than that.

So, if you have any extra sweet leaf..I'll take it off your hands
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #489
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

I tried both PureVia and Truvia. I liked the PureVia better but it didn't agree with me at all.

@~;~~
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #490
Tracyarts

Xylitol hasn't caused me any problems. I tolerate sugar alcohols really well as long as I stick to a small amount no more than twice a day. So some in my coffee or tea in the morning and a little more in a dessert or some candy after supper is okay. I wouldn't want to have it throughout the day or a lot at a time though.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #491
Tracyarts

Just a FYI for those who are looking forward to grilling season. Penzey's BBQ 3000 rub has no sugar in it. Almost all of the other commercial BBQ and grill rubs and marinades I have found contain a load of sugar in one form or another, sometimes being the first ingredient on the list.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ysBBQ3000.html

This is our go-to BBQ rub and a 4 oz. bag will season up a lot of meat.

Tracy
Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #492
MisticalMisty

I love Penzey's. There's one here in Dallas. We go, but not too often or I'd be really broke. lol
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #493
khrestel

khrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasimodoQT View Post
I just saw a woman preparing something for a raw food diet that might work for your situation, too...

She had a hand grinder tool that she loaded raw zucchini into. Came out as long, wavy spaghetti, basically. Used that as pasta. I'm sure you could steam it a bit, too.

I wish I had seen this back when I was doing Atkins, and felt very pasta-deprived.
I use thin zucchini slices as pasta plates in lasagna. They're better if you have time to "make them cry" before making the actual lasagna meaning drizzling some salt over the slices and letting them sit for about half an hour and tapping the released water off gently with paper towel.

One of my favourite side dishes is onions, red peppers, zucchini and cherry tomatoes mixed with green or red pesto sauce. I just mix them together as large chunks, tomatoes as whole, so that every piece is somewhat oily from the pesto and put them in oven for about 30-40 minutes in ~390 degrees fahrenheit (200 celsius).
khrestel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #494
khrestel

khrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going onkhrestel knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I can't tolerate stevia. It gives me terrible headaches for some reason. I'm kind of afraid of xylitol though. Doesn't it make you go go go? I may try it if I can do so with a small amount.
I tolerate xylitol extremely well but coming from Finland it might be I've been saturated with it from early childhood They recommend 5 grams of xylitol daily in here to prevent dental problems. Usually it's eaten in the form of gum or pastilles but it's also used as a sweetener in some chocolates and candy.

It is known tho, in large quantities, to have laxative effects.
khrestel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #495
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

when i was preggers with my daughter i was in the 'old lady high risk mommy' group since i was over 40 when preg. this included having to go for diabetes testing. while my fasting sugar was just under their limit, they put me on a diabetic diet just so i didn't go into gestational diabetes (older mommies more prone).

when i went for the nutrionist training they did tell me about staying away from starch and do whole wheat, lots of non-starch veg, etc. there were so many guidelines they gave us instruction sheets on how many servings should be with each meal/snack. amazingly, the nutritionist told me to stay away from artificial sweeteners and if i was going too crazy it was better to have a very small amount of a sugar food with a protein then artificial sweetener.

most important thing they taught me is to eat appropriate portions and eat more often. they taught me things like 1/2 slice of whole wheat toast is 1 serving for a meal, your meat portion should not be larger than the palm of your hand, etc. i nearly fell over. they said not to panic as you eat like every 2 hours so the serving sizes need to be limited. the other thing that has stuck with me is to make sure that you have a protein with any starch you have. ie i was allowed to have 1/2 cup of yogurt before bed...but i had to have it with nuts. the protein helps slow down how fast your body goes through the carbs.

it worked. i kept the sugar under limits. my point is, it is not just what you eat but how much and when.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #496
Tracyarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
the other thing that has stuck with me is to make sure that you have a protein with any starch you have. ie i was allowed to have 1/2 cup of yogurt before bed...but i had to have it with nuts. the protein helps slow down how fast your body goes through the carbs.
I had a nutritionist tell me the same thing. Balance meals with a mix of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and healthier fat. The protein, fiber, and fat helps the body process the carbohydrates more slowly and steadily. This really works well for me. If I drop my carbohydrate intake too low, my blood glucose gets erratic and I have lows and even rebound highs. I never knew that one's blood glucose could spike if you didn't eat sugar or simple carbohydrates of some kind. But my endocrinologist said that sometimes it happens. I actually feel better and have more stable blood glucose when I eat some carbohydrates with at least breakfast and supper. I tried a very low carb ketogenic diet to help manage my diabetes for a while and it was just not a good fit for my body's needs.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #497
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post

it worked. i kept the sugar under limits. my point is, it is not just what you eat but how much and when.
Not for everyone, unfortunately. Some of us just don't process carbs very well. I don't. Even sweet potatoes give me issues.

That's why I alway, always, always preach that you have to know your body and what it can and can't handle. Nutritionists try to give you guidelines, but at the end of the day, you have to do what's best for your own body.

The original intent of the thread wasn't about low carb for weight loss, but more low carb for maintenance of diseases that require a decrease in carbs...or for those who want to live a lower carb lifestyle.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #498
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It depends. Sometimes I'm right on with my carb count and I can consume something not low glycemic like potatoes. Then the next time I make this decision, potatoes takes me out like a light. Sometimes I can eat white rice and sometimes I can't.

White bread is also a no-no, but sometimes wheat bread is even worse.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #499
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It depends. Sometimes I'm right on with my carb count and I can consume something not low glycemic like potatoes. Then the next time I make this decision, potatoes takes me out like a light. Sometimes I can eat white rice and sometimes I can't.

White bread is also a no-no, but sometimes wheat bread is even worse.
I am sometimes the same way. My nutritionist/educator bump heads a lot because I tell her over and over again that I am super carb sensitive and although she recommends 80 carbs per meal for some people, I can't do that many and i really can't do starches.

I was on Victoza for a while and was able to pretty much eat whatever I wanted to eat, but I went off for a week waiting for a refill and my BS went wonky and I gained some weight.

Now, I pretty much have to follow a primal/paleo/low carb diet to keep everything in check. it sucks.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #500
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I am sometimes the same way. My nutritionist/educator bump heads a lot because I tell her over and over again that I am super carb sensitive and although she recommends 80 carbs per meal for some people, I can't do that many and i really can't do starches.

I was on Victoza for a while and was able to pretty much eat whatever I wanted to eat, but I went off for a week waiting for a refill and my BS went wonky and I gained some weight.

Now, I pretty much have to follow a primal/paleo/low carb diet to keep everything in check. it sucks.
I was also on Victoza but the full dose was giving some serious acid reflux and my finger tips would go numb at night. So I did Byetta for three months and now I'm using once-a-week Bydureon. My results aren't as good as the Byetta, so I'm hoping I go back to that.