Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #126
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
That does sound good. Were the almonds sliced and pecans broken up or were they both left whole?
They were already sliced and broken up -- couldn't have been easier.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #127
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

I forget if I've posted this before (old age is coming on fast). I was reading about a "new" pasta.. ".Dreamfield" They make different shapes but they have only 5 grams of digestible carbs. I talked to the nutritionist and she said they have patented a process that allows carbs to p[ass thru your system undigested. I was really skeptical...cuz I really love pasta. This stuff is REALLY good. Just be careful not to overcook it. I couldn't tell the difference between it and any whole grain or regualr old pasta. Didn't seem to effect my blood sugar.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #128
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

I like dream fields too, closest taste/texture to white pasta.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #129
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" I forget if I've posted this before (old age is coming on fast). I was reading about a "new" pasta.. ".Dreamfield" They make different shapes but they have only 5 grams of digestible carbs. "

I bought some of this stuff, and liked it SO much better than any whole grain pasta I have ever tried. It just seems too good to be true though. I have heard that for some people it does cause a blood sugar spike (although that may have more to do with the sauce they are eating with it). So, I'm only having it occasionally until I go back to my endo. doctor and can get some more glucose test strips and see for myself exactly how it affects me. I was never really a pasta fiend, but it'd be nice to be able to have spaghetti, pasta salad, and even soup with pasta more often without having to plan my entire day's worth of meals and snacks around it. KWIM?

Tracy
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #130
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I just had to post this recipe, I made it tonight for myself and thought it would last a few days but my husband tried it and it's almost gone...lol. It is soooooo good. I made it with the seasoning mix instead of the onion soup to save on the carbs.......enjoy!!!!

WHITE CASTLE HAMBURGER PIE
1 pound ground beef
1 packet onion soup mix or seasoning mixture (see recipe below)
2 eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger with about half of the onion soup mix or seasoning mixture below *; drain the fat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining soup mix or seasoning mixture and put the meat in a greased 9-10 inch pie plate. Stir in half of the cheese, then top with the remaining cheese. Whisk the eggs, mayonnaise, cream and a dash of pepper well; pour evenly over the meat. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen

* If you're wondering why I only mix half of the soup mix with the meat while cooking, then stir the rest in later, that's so it will flavor it a bit, but you won't lose most of the flavoring with the grease that's drained off.

Serving Suggestion: For a true White Castle experience, top each serving with dill pickles and mustard. Or, make a sauce of dill pickle relish and mustard.

Per 1/6 Pie: 490 Calories; 41g Fat; 25g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Pie: 368 Calories; 31g Fat; 19g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

SEASONING MIXTURE:
If you'd like to save a few carbs, you can use onion powder and dry minced onions in place of the onion soup mix, which has 16 carbs per packet. I used a mixture of 2 teaspoons toasted onion powder (available from Penzeys, or use regular onion powder) and 1 tablespoon dry minced onion. I also sprinkled a little onion powder in with the egg/mayonnaise mixture. The carb count for the recipe made this way is:

Per 1/6 Pie: 476 Calories; 41g Fat; 24g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Pie: 357 Calories; 31g Fat; 18g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #131
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oooo, Denise, this recipe looks scrumptious. I'll have to give it a try!

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #132
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just noticed there are a lot of recipes for casseroles in this thread. LOL I never make casseroles. I'm gonna try some of these tho.

Monday, I was craving mango and a burger so I thought why not top a Burger with mango salsa. The recipe for the salsa is here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1643...253197,00.html I omitted the olive oil and it was still good.

1 mango is about 34gm carbs. This recipe serves 8, which works out to about 4gm carbs per serving.

So, I topped a buger (no bun) with melted monteray jack cheese - less than 3gm carbs and the mango salsa and paired it with an arugula and diced mozzeralla salad (also less than 3gm carbs) with a lime juice vinaigrette. Total carbs: 4 to 10gm.

Of course it's thursday and I'm still eating mango salsa. LOL. Yesterday I ate the salsa with some ribs I picked up from the chinese food place down the street, and today I realized I still had some ground beef left in the fridge and just threw it in a pan and cooked it with some scallions, italian herbs and vermouth. And I still had some mozzeralla cheese left, so I put that in the salsa and ate it all together. It wasn't bad, although the ground beef overwhelmed the mozzerella, and I couldn't really taste it. The mozzerella is pretty good in the mango salsa tho. I will probably eat the salsa like that tomorrow with rice crackers.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #133
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

found a new ice cream today called Artic Zero. We picked up the chocolate/peanut butter one and for a 1/2 cup its only 4 net carbs. If you are a chocolate lover..you will probably love it. I am not a huge chocolate fan and was hoping to taste more peanut butter, but sadly..that was not to be.

Here is the website if you want to check out their info!

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

BTW...I found it at Sprouts...not sure if it would be at Whole Foods or not!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #134
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
found a new ice cream today called Artic Zero. We picked up the chocolate/peanut butter one and for a 1/2 cup its only 4 net carbs. If you are a chocolate lover..you will probably love it. I am not a huge chocolate fan and was hoping to taste more peanut butter, but sadly..that was not to be.

I forgot to mention that a whole pint is less than 20 carbs.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #135
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I decided this summer to have some low carb ice cream each night, I'm getting sick of sugar free jello, I hope they have this in my area, if not, I'm sure I'll find some kind of low carb ice cream, I can't wait, now the challenge will be to only eat a half a cup....edited to add, they do have it at Whole Foods in my area so I'll be buying some this week.....

Quote:

Last edited by DeniseW; 03-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #136
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseW View Post
I decided this summer to have some low carb ice cream each night, I'm getting sick of sugar free jello, I hope they have this in my area, if not, I'm sure I'll find some kind of low carb ice cream, I can't wait, now the challenge will be to only eat a half a cup....edited to add, they do have it at Whole Foods in my area so I'll be buying some this week.....
Please let me know if you try a different flavor. I would love to know how something else tastes!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #137
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I will be adding ArticZero to my look for list. Several years back, Blue Bunny brand made a low carb Peanut butter Fudge ice cream. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any in years.

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #138
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin1024 View Post
I will be adding ArticZero to my look for list. Several years back, Blue Bunny brand made a low carb Peanut butter Fudge ice cream. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any in years.
I remember that..it was called bunny tracks I think..they also made a yogurt sweetened with splenda and I have only found it one place since.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #139
Pokerking2010

Pokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 club

This stuff only has 10 grams of carbs- and is fantastic!
Pokerking2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #140
Pokerking2010

Pokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
" I forget if I've posted this before (old age is coming on fast). I was reading about a "new" pasta.. ".Dreamfield" They make different shapes but they have only 5 grams of digestible carbs. "

I bought some of this stuff, and liked it SO much better than any whole grain pasta I have ever tried. It just seems too good to be true though. I have heard that for some people it does cause a blood sugar spike (although that may have more to do with the sauce they are eating with it). So, I'm only having it occasionally until I go back to my endo. doctor and can get some more glucose test strips and see for myself exactly how it affects me. I was never really a pasta fiend, but it'd be nice to be able to have spaghetti, pasta salad, and even soup with pasta more often without having to plan my entire day's worth of meals and snacks around it. KWIM?

Tracy
You may find this to be some interesting reading material.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/i.../t-203510.html
Pokerking2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #141
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerking2010 View Post

This stuff only has 10 grams of carbs- and is fantastic!
Those make me wish I liked chocolate!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #142
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Caramel Crème and Chocolate Mint are also some of the flavors they have in that mousse Misty

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #143
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Made Turnips Au Gratin tonight..OMG so good. Have to try a different cheese this time..it was too greasy!

I like my cheese dark
Misty, do you mind to post the recipe for this please?

Also I found this recipe and it looks interesting in case anyone else is interested:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...p?recipe=71697

and this one as well:

Cheesy Creamed Spinach Casserole

Ingredients

2-10oz Frozen Chopped Spinach
1 (1ounce) Dry Onion Soup Mix
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

Directions
Preheat over 350 degree. Grease 2-quart casserole dish. Drain spinach. In medium mixing bowl combine spinach, soup, and sour cream. Spoon into greased casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake in preheated over about 25 minutes or until heated through.

*Can also add chopped onion or roasted garlic to this recipe

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 03-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #144
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Misty, do you mind to post the recipe for this please?

I did back in post number 95..it wasn't formatted like a recipe..that may be why you missed it!

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...1&postcount=95
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #145
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

yeah, what's up with low carb yogurt? I can't find it anywhere. Dannon used to make carb control yogurt as well as blue bunny had some too. Now it's nowhere to be found. I have looked in every single store in CT. I guess I'll have to have a little greek yogurt once in a while, that seems to be a lot lower in carbs than regular.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #146
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseW View Post
yeah, what's up with low carb yogurt? I can't find it anywhere. Dannon used to make carb control yogurt as well as blue bunny had some too. Now it's nowhere to be found. I have looked in every single store in CT. I guess I'll have to have a little greek yogurt once in a while, that seems to be a lot lower in carbs than regular.
I now eat the fiber one yogurt. Each has 13 carbs with 5 grams of fiber. I normally stick with the key lime yogurt.

I did purchase a small, plain greek yogurt. I have bought some several times, but have never actually opened it and tasted it. I've seen people mix in a little crystal light with it or that davinci syrup to give it different flavors....just can't bring myself to do it yet!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #147
MisticalMisty

Hershey makes a sugar free Strawberry Syrup..it has 4 carbs for 2 tablespoons...add in a cup of almond milk at 1 net carb..I am drinking a great dessert for 5 carbs or less!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #148
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I now eat the fiber one yogurt. Each has 13 carbs with 5 grams of fiber. I normally stick with the key lime yogurt.

I did purchase a small, plain greek yogurt. I have bought some several times, but have never actually opened it and tasted it. I've seen people mix in a little crystal light with it or that davinci syrup to give it different flavors....just can't bring myself to do it yet!
I usually get the fruit flavored Chobani Greek yogurt but the carb content is really high. For the blueberry or pomegranate I think it's 21 grams. I do often get the plain (7 grams/6 oz container) and just throw in a couple of sweet n low but the Crystal Light sounds like a great idea.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #149
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I usually get the fruit flavored Chobani Greek yogurt but the carb content is really high. For the blueberry or pomegranate I think it's 21 grams. I do often get the plain (7 grams/6 oz container) and just throw in a couple of sweet n low but the Crystal Light sounds like a great idea.
yeah..the fruit yogurts are always hella high in carbs. Let me know what you think about the crystal light!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #150
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This just in--just saw this on TV--zero calories and carbs!

http://www.drinkwhat.com/mio-liquid-water-enhancer/

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 01-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote