Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #151
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I usually buy plain Greek yogurt (higher in protein than regular yogurt) and add a couple packets of Splenda or one packet of Stevia and about 1/4 cup of blueberries or sliced strawberries. I don't know the exact carb count, however, I do know that I am getting my calcium, protein and fiber without the added sugar of yogurt with fruit already added.

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #152
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin1024 View Post
I usually buy plain Greek yogurt (higher in protein than regular yogurt) and add a couple packets of Splenda or one packet of Stevia and about 1/4 cup of blueberries or sliced strawberries. I don't know the exact carb count, however, I do know that I am getting my calcium, protein and fiber without the added sugar of yogurt with fruit already added.
I like to add blueberries or sliced strawberries too!

I read somewhere that lemons have more sugar in them than strawberries!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #153
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post

Wow, that is interesting. I have a few low-carb recipes that include lemon zest and lemon juice. I do know that berries are lower in carbs than most other types of fruit.

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #154
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Lemons are one of the super foods that is supposed to help control blood sugar along with avocados, almonds, cherries and a few other I can't remember.

I don't know about the carb count..it's definitely something to look into!

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #155
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Haven't tried this...but will soon!

http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/03/pizza-dip.html
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #156
LinCanDo66

LinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseW View Post
yeah, what's up with low carb yogurt? I can't find it anywhere. Dannon used to make carb control yogurt as well as blue bunny had some too. Now it's nowhere to be found. I have looked in every single store in CT. I guess I'll have to have a little greek yogurt once in a while, that seems to be a lot lower in carbs than regular.
If you have a Kroger grocery store around you, they have a wonderful low carb yogurt--it's called Carbmaster. Usually 60-80 calories and 4 g carbs. Good flavors too, like strawberry pomegranate, carrot cake, vanilla chai. And I think they taste pretty good. I believe they're sweetened with Splenda.
LinCanDo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #157
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCanDo66 View Post
If you have a Kroger grocery store around you, they have a wonderful low carb yogurt--it's called Carbmaster. Usually 60-80 calories and 4 g carbs. Good flavors too, like strawberry pomegranate, carrot cake, vanilla chai. And I think they taste pretty good. I believe they're sweetened with Splenda.
Oh! Good to know! Thanks Lin!

P.S...I'm sending my husband now!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #158
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
This just in--just saw this on TV--zero calories and carbs!

http://www.drinkwhat.com/mio-liquid-water-enhancer/
I bought three flavors --mango peach, watermelon strawberry and berry pomegranate and really like them a lot. I was expecting an aftertaste because I'm not a fan of Splenda (sucralose) but there wasn't any. The little bottle is cute and small enough to fit discreetly in a purse or pocket and all you need is one squirt per 8 oz. I was drinking out of 32 oz. cup and used only 3 and it was still great. In the Walmart by me they're $3.48 each, so not cheap, but they're an option when you don't want to use Crystal Lite packets, diet syrups, or plain water and seltzer.

I also added some of the mango peach to diet ginger ale and it was delish.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Last edited by CastingPearls; 03-30-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #159
MisticalMisty

Quote:
I bought three flavors --mango peach, watermelon strawberry and berry pomegranate and really like them a lot. I was expecting an aftertaste because I'm not a fan of Splenda (sucralose) but there wasn't any. The little bottle is cute and small enough to fit in discreetly in a purse or pocket and all you need is one squirt per 8 oz. I was drinking out of 32 oz. cup and used only 3 and it was still great. In the Walmart by me they're $3.48 each but they're an option when you don't want to use Crystal Lite packets, diet syrups, or plain water and seltzer.

Did you find them with the Crystal light?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #160
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Did you find them with the Crystal light?
You mean in the store? Yes, they were right next to the Crystal Lite and they were VERY popular. Half the flavors were completely sold out.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #161
MisticalMisty

Quote:
You mean in the store? Yes, they were right next to the Crystal Lite and they were VERY popular. Half the flavors were completely sold out.
Thanks! Will be checking our wal-mart soon!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #162
LinCanDo66

LinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLinCanDo66 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
I bought three flavors --mango peach, watermelon strawberry and berry pomegranate and really like them a lot. I was expecting an aftertaste because I'm not a fan of Splenda (sucralose) but there wasn't any. The little bottle is cute and small enough to fit discreetly in a purse or pocket and all you need is one squirt per 8 oz. I was drinking out of 32 oz. cup and used only 3 and it was still great. In the Walmart by me they're $3.48 each, so not cheap, but they're an option when you don't want to use Crystal Lite packets, diet syrups, or plain water and seltzer.

Oooh thanks! I've been seeing these advertised and wondered if there would be an aftertaste. And I never would have thought of adding to diet ginger ale! I'll be on the lookout as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #163
MisticalMisty

I tried the yogurt tonight. Each 6 oz container has 60 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 4 carbs and 9 grams of protein.

The texture is thicker than yogurt, but not off-putting. I tried carrot cake and it was really good...tasted more like spice cake batter. I will definitely have it again with some chopped pecans because I felt like I wanted something crunchy with it!

Thanks Lin!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #164
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

I'm really jealous there are no Kroger's with carrot cake yogurt near me.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 03-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #165
MisticalMisty

Quote:
I'm really jealous there are no Kroger's with carrot cake yogurt near me.
Oh no! I'm sorry!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #166
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Oh no! I'm sorry!
I love Kroger and miss it so much.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #167
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Hershey makes a sugar free Strawberry Syrup..it has 4 carbs for 2 tablespoons...add in a cup of almond milk at 1 net carb..I am drinking a great dessert for 5 carbs or less!

Where do you get almond milk? is it similar to soy milk? how does it taste compared to real milk?

Quote:

Quote:
Lemons are one of the super foods that is supposed to help control blood sugar along with avocados, almonds, cherries and a few other I can't remember.

I don't know about the carb count..it's definitely something to look into!

http://www.carbs-information.com/car...-in-lemons.htm

Food Item:Lemons, raw, w/o peel
Food Quantity: 1 lemon
Carbs: 5.4g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g
Net Carbs: 3.8g

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #168
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Where do you get almond milk? is it similar to soy milk? how does it taste compared to real milk?
You can find almond milk pretty much anywhere these days. You can find it either in the cold case with milk or on a shelf at room temperature.

Myself, I prefer the cold milk. I buy the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla. It's DEFINITELY better than soy milk. To me, it doesn't taste that much different than regular milk. I normally use the vanilla for my cereal.

I've also purchased the unsweetened original. I'm going to be using this for my savory recipes that call for milk. I've read that almond milk works well as a substitution and for 1 carb per cup..it's definitely worth trying.

Try Wal-mart..I've also found it at Kroger, Sprouts and Whole Foods.

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=53

They have a taste challenge..they will refund our money if you don't like it and there are coupons on this page:

http://www.almondbreeze.com/index.cfm?navid=342

Recipes!

http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=351

Let me know what you think!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #169
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Definitely have to look for that almond milk Misty- thank you

Found some of those Shiritaki noodles that Cors mentioned early in the thread

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/miracle...-products.html

Does anyone have an opinion on how they taste before I invest any money on buying them in a big quantity?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #170
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Definitely have to look for that almond milk Misty- thank you

Found some of those Shiritaki noodles that Cors mentioned early in the thread

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/miracle...-products.html

Does anyone have an opinion on how they taste before I invest any money on buying them in a big quantity?
Bleck..lol We picked up some and OMG they were so very, very disgusting. I don't know if it was the shape I bought which was the angel hair, or what, but I just couldn't do them. I rinsed them for 10 minutes under cold water, cooked them according to package directions and the texture was just very, very off putting.

I would buy one bag and try them and I would suggest getting a thicker noodle than the angel hair.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #171
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

GEF--Almond milk, Yum yum-just make sure it's ice cold!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #172
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

+1 for almond milk, and -after the initial strangeness of the texture wears off- I like shirataki too.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #173
MisticalMisty

I really like this site. It has a wealth of information and recipes.

This is a great article on low carb/high fiber foods!

http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/dia...-foods?index=1

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 04-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #174
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Those are all things I already eat! Yay. Had black beans with chicken yesterday.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #175
LinCanDo66

Quote:

I've been using this site, too. I also just joined www.sparkrecipes.com. There's a recipe calculator on it. You input your ingredients and the servings and it gives you all the nutritional info. I put in a new recipe I had for a coconut pie and it gave me all the stats. I can't tell if it's really that cool or if I'm just a dork...lol