Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default $10 Dinners With Melissa D'Arabian

Has anyone seen the new show from the winner of The Next Food Network Star yet? The premise of the show is that she will show you how to feed a family of four for $10. I watched an episode today and I liked it. She seemed a little nervous but I'm sure she'll find her groove once she does more shows. Today she made orange chicken and it looked delicious! She gives you tips and ideas of how to save money and eat on a budget yet still eat good. I like recipes that are easy to make and use ingredients that I already have and this show seems to do that. I looked it up on Food Network and this is already the third show. Anyone else watching? Thinking of trying some of her recipes?

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Today's episode was the first one I saw of hers. It wasn't bad. I'll watch her just to see how she progresses, but I am not drawn in.

I am, of course, excited that they gave Jeffrey a trial show too. Yay!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've watched all three shows...and I'm not taken. I mean I liked her best out of all the contestants, but does everything have to be from a flippin' bistro?
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I haven't seen it yet....but the concept ($10 dinners) is one that is long overdue for the Food Network, particularly given the recession. I'm suprised it's taken them this long to do it.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

They used to have a show called Good Deal with Dave Lieberman on Food Network. It airs once a week now at 4 AM. lol. Here's a description of the show:

Quote:
Dave Lieberman is a young man with a mission: to teach people how to live, eat and entertain like royalty, even on a commoner's budget. In Good Deal with Dave Lieberman, Dave keeps things quick, easy and inexpensive, giving viewers practical tips on keeping quality up and costs down...
I think it's interesting that they recycle/refresh some old ideas. For instance, the old show Glutton for Punishment (gotta love that name) with Bob Blumer is very similar to the new Adam Gertler show "Will Work for Food."

And sometimes the networks steal ideas. For instance, Cake Boss on TLC is very similar to Ace of Cakes.

Hmmm...I should have made a new thread. lol
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Fallenangel2904
Fat Fashionista

Fallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging in

I caught a little bit of last weeks episode where she made these really interesting meatballs with all sorts of rich seasonings and such and I enjoyed what I saw of it. I am really glad she won because she was my favorite out of the contestants on TNFNS. I like the show concept, however don't you all think it's very similar to Sandra Lee's money saving meals? I watched them back to back and to me they seems extremly similar. That's not necessarily a bad thing though since saving money is a popular concept these days with the recession and all. I would definitly watch the show again though.
Fallenangel2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
They used to have a show called Good Deal with Dave Lieberman on Food Network. It airs once a week now at 4 AM. lol. Here's a description of the show:

I think it's interesting that they recycle/refresh some old ideas. For instance, the old show Glutton for Punishment (gotta love that name) with Bob Blumer is very similar to the new Adam Gertler show "Will Work for Food."

And sometimes the networks steal ideas. For instance, Cake Boss on TLC is very similar to Ace of Cakes.

Hmmm...I should have made a new thread. lol
I loved Dave. I use several of his recipes!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
msbard90

msbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging in

haven't seen it yet.. but from watching the food network, sandra lee does the cheap route with semi-homemade, and rachael ray does the 30 minute meals, which she often proclaims to be cheap and fast.

I hope melissa d'arabian has something different to offer- something better.... but i think there are a lot of food network shows that try to incorporate inexpensive meals into the show.. but then again, there are some shows that want to show people something different and expensive and captivate us with its deliciousy glory
msbard90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbard90 View Post
haven't seen it yet.. but from watching the food network, sandra lee does the cheap route with semi-homemade, and rachael ray does the 30 minute meals, which she often proclaims to be cheap and fast.

I hope melissa d'arabian has something different to offer- something better.... but i think there are a lot of food network shows that try to incorporate inexpensive meals into the show.. but then again, there are some shows that want to show people something different and expensive and captivate us with its deliciousy glory
Sandra Lee now has a show called Money Saving Meals. She's stopped using terrible store bought over processed ingredients for the most part. I am really enjoying it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
msbard90

msbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging inmsbard90 makes people happy simply by logging in

sounds yummy! The semi-homemade was a good idea though, especially if you don't have enough money to buy the real deal
Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbard90 View Post
sounds yummy! The semi-homemade was a good idea though, especially if you don't have enough money to buy the real deal
For those that frequent chat they know my "No More Sandra" chant well.

I think there are real reasons people are unhealthy and one of them is a real lack of whole foods...she's the champion of salt packets and over processed meat. Frankly that kind of diet will backfire on most people IMHO. I'm just so glad she turned the corner. Whole foods are actually reasonable and more filling and I'll stop my preaching there since this soap box is only weight tested to 250 lol.

Melissa is doing a lot of whole foods...I like it but nothing has really appealed to me yet.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
msbard90

I understand completely and totally.... its OBVIOUS that whole foods, organic food, real food is better for you.. However, much like sandra in her childhood, i never got the luxury of having delicious whole foods. My mother was very much into getting the best bargain because she had to support 4 kids on her own. So I think it's pretty neat when she can show us how many things you can do with a roll of pillsbury biscuits or a pound of cheap pasta. I am only 19, and yet have I found it in the budget (no I don't own a farm lol) to buy whole foods and organic foods. I also have a son to feed. I try my hardest to provide excellent nutrition to him, while making sure the bills are paid, and going to nursing school. I like that Sandra lee shows us how to try to make the best out of what most americans have in their cupboards...