Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #26
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
But isn't that the argument against homosexuality as being 'nature' since there is no evolutionary advantage to being gay (since gay people can't reproduce, and nature/biology isn't smart enough to know about surrogates and adoption and all the other ways that gays can become parents)?

One reason I'm not so interested in the nature/nuture debate is because for things like gayness and fatness, the search for a genetic cause seems to be rooted in an idea of 'cure' that I don't want to take.
Well, being gay could be evolutionary as a means of population control. I don't think this is the case but it could be. Also, if we are talking about early humans, those who were gay probably would reproduce anyway. One controvercial theory suggests that unsuccessful males would 'rape' females to pass one thier genes. Early gay men may well have still had sex with women as a means of stating hierarchy. I'm not sure sexuality had the same emotional meaning for early wo(man) as it does now.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #27
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I'm not totally convinced fetishes are all nurture.
many of them can't be nature - the example me and james discussed being a latex fetish. you probably won't see a latex bodysuit when you're a kid, but you can become attracted to the properties: shiny, smooth, balloonlike surface - and apply those similarities to a woman later. how could like, the violet beauregarde fetish, be nature?
exile in thighville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It strikes me that if gay people are held to be "that way" by nature--and I'm not claiming for or against, either way--the logic dictates that straight people are also that way "by nature." How convenient for homophobes, to be able to claim that "nature" (read, "God") made them as they are.

What do we mean when we say "nature" and "nurture" anyway? What are we haggling over?

I feel we should all be able to choose as we choose, openly and freely, without having to be oppressed for it, so long as we're respectful of the social contract. Meanwhile, I refuse to agree that I or anyone should have to hide such practices as your run-o-the-mill, non-sociopathic individual practices. The line for me is drawn at exploitation and abuses of power. Sexual acts between equally consenting, equally empowered adults is okie dokie, no matter if it's nature or nurture.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile in thighville View Post
many of them can't be nature - the example me and james discussed being a latex fetish. you probably won't see a latex bodysuit when you're a kid, but you can become attracted to the properties: shiny, smooth, balloonlike surface - and apply those similarities to a woman later. how could like, the violet beauregarde fetish, be nature?
Yeah, good point. You win for now.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote