Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Food travesties. . .

What do you really hate to see people do to their food?

Mayonnaise on French fries?
Well-done steaks?
Scrambled eggs with ketchup?

My main one is chili with beans added to it. Serve the fucken beans on the side, fer Christ's sake: Don't put them into the chili.

But that's just me. What are yours?

- Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Mayonnaise on French fries? I never thought of that! Putting it on my list of things to do...

Well-done steaks? Hmm, I prefer medium but sometimes well-done when the mood strikes me.

Scrambled eggs with ketchup? Icky! But them I'm an omelette kinda gal anyway.

A. This might not be what you had in mind, and I'm showing my age, but I remember when smoking was commonplace in restaurants, especially when I was a girl in the 1960s and my parents took my little brother and me out to dinner -- provided we were on our best behavior. After meals, it was not uncommon to see other people light up cigarettes and cigars. I cannot erase the indelible horror from my mind, watching some of those same people extinguish their cigarettes and cigars in their food! Yes, I know they were finished, and what remained on their plates was only scraps, but in my mind they desecrated their entire meals. I can't think of a more hideous food travesty than that! (shudder)

B. I just thought of another food travesty. If a group of us are sharing appetizers with dip, the proper protocol is to scoop a spoonful of that dip onto your plate and use that. I go ballistic when I see someone take a bite of an appetizer and then re-dunk that very same piece into the communal pot of dip. I immediately call a halt and ask our server for fresh dip.

C. Gee I could go on and on. I find it puzzling that some people salt and pepper their food, or cover it with ketchup or other condiments, before they even taste it. Maybe they go out to dinner only for the ketchup and simply use the food as a foundation? Quoth Hank Hill: "This is a great restaurant. It has 6 kinds of ketchup and 3 kinds of catsup!"

Last edited by TallFatSue; 08-28-2009 at 05:38 AM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sue -

Obviously, we're all gonna have very different things that piss us off.

I just thought it might be fun to compare them.

Oh yeah, one more: People that put A1 and other shit like that on their steaks. Just salt, pepper, and butter -- and truffle butter doesn't suck, either.

When I was in the Army, non-southerners would use their grits as ashtrays, after breakfast. I found that to be VERY culturally offensive.

You ain't as old as I am, sweetie.

- Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
KatrinaBombshell

KatrinaBombshell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKatrinaBombshell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

yeah well done steaks tend to piss me off. im a rare girl all the way. but then again i like raw meat anyway. BIG CARNIVORE HERE.

and im right there with you about people seasoning food before theyve even tasted it. but i must admit i am guilty of the double dipping. but i do dip the side i havent bitten yet.

Grits as ash trays? thats TREASON!

but something else that annoys me is when a piece of meat comes out and yes it does have some fat on it. not a huge amount but just enough that when eaten with the meat its a heavenly experience. and then to see people cut it off the meat! if its a well done steak that fat is the only juice you are gonna get from that piece of card board you are eating!!!
KatrinaBombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

you need ketchup on scrambled eggs! There is no better combination of scrambled eggs, processed American "cheeze" and bacon all on a kaiser roll. The ketchup brings everything together as chomp down into goopy bite after goopy bite.

I find this offensive though- mayo used on good pastrami. It may be slightly more acceptable on a sandwich from Subway (questionable taste perhaps) but if it's a good quality sandwich, shame on you, shame on you indeed.

Last edited by MissToodles; 08-28-2009 at 07:45 AM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaBombshell View Post
yeah well done steaks tend to piss me off. im a rare girl all the way. but then again i like raw meat anyway. BIG CARNIVORE HERE.

and im right there with you about people seasoning food before theyve even tasted it. but i must admit i am guilty of the double dipping. but i do dip the side i havent bitten yet.

Grits as ash trays? thats TREASON!

but something else that annoys me is when a piece of meat comes out and yes it does have some fat on it. not a huge amount but just enough that when eaten with the meat its a heavenly experience. and then to see people cut it off the meat! if its a well done steak that fat is the only juice you are gonna get from that piece of card board you are eating!!!
Hey! Katrina. Will you marry me? I'm a good cook and a very low maintence kinda guy. Ya want bacon? You'll get bacon!

I'm kinda old and fuguly, though (see profile).

-Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Most Fast Food - I admit that I will get some stuff on a rare basis...

Hate Papa Johns Pizza- that is an insult to the tastebuds
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't think that ketchup on the scrambled thing is a uniquely Canadian thing, but I've noticed that it's extremely common in Canada. It's ok, but I'd rather hollandaise sauce, myself.

OK, I'll probably get lots of protests on this one, but I really, really don't care for East Coast seafood (or at least what is commonly found in the Northeast). It seems that everything that comes from the sea, from New York to Maine, MUST be over breaded and deepfried. Cape Cod is especially guilty of this. It's a travesty. All that luscious seafood and its flavor gets completely lost in the bread and oil. I really miss So. California seafood prep...were seafood is generally either raw (when appropriate), broiled, grilled, or steamed...it's like they honor the actual flavor of the creature at hand. My first trip to a New York seafood house, I think ordered fillet of sole with crab stuffing....and was completely offended by the roulade of over seasoned, over - breaded sole stuffed with a goupy bread filling which had apparently been passed over a crab...because there was not an actual piece of crab to be found in the stuffing. And this was a nice restaurant. Fried seafood does have its place and its charms, but it is not the be all - end all of seafood preparation.

OK, rant over!!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
What do you really hate to see people do to their food?

Mayonnaise on French fries?
Well-done steaks?
Scrambled eggs with ketchup?

My main one is chili with beans added to it. Serve the fucken beans on the side, fer Christ's sake: Don't put them into the chili.

But that's just me. What are yours?

- Jim
I like the cut of your gib, sir! Except mayo on fries. I grew up in Europe, we're a whacky sort of people. I especially like mayo-based dips rather than just mayo. In Holland there's a sauce for the fries called American sauce that is similar to tartar sauce. I find the name ironic.

Steak should not be cooked over a very light medium, but preferably medium-rare. The only thing besides a little salt and pepper I like on my steak is maybe an herbed butter as it rests, and I usually reserve that for the cuts that could use a little flavor boost. I think anyone that sauces a porterhouse needs to put the port in deported.

Beans were only added to chili as a way to make it stretch when meat was scarce or expensive, it ain't a damn improvement. God damn I hate kidney beans.

------

Provolone cheese on pizza. What the hell is wrong with you, Midwestern America? Seriously? Come on.

"Extreme" flavored anything. Can we please go back to when Doritos were flavored to actually taste like corn with a bit of flavoring, at least a little bit? Why did you have to do that to Goldfish crackers, one of the most perfect snacks ever? Really, I don't need a centimeter of fluorescent radioactive cheese powder on every single chip, or my entire day's ration of salt in one serving.

Hershey's chocolate. You are an insult. Why do people like you? You taste like you were made of sour milk and plastic, and even your dark chocolate has enough sugar in it to make my throat burn and yearn for water. Also, your parent company sucks and thinks people don't actually want real chocolate any more, and that they'd rather pay less for tropical oils.

Margarine/buttery "spread". Two words: trans fats. You're a molecule away from being plastic. Also, you gave everyone an excuse to not use butter any more. Asshole.

Processed cheese. You're not cheese. You are curds and lies. I don't care how nicely you melt, that's why God made double cremes and semi-softs.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

lol katorade curds and lies

I don't have a lot of food pet peeves being that i'm limited in culinary experimentation being a lacto vegetarian.

I cannot stand the smell of a hotdog being consumed in the movie theater. It permeates everything and just sticks!

It also bothers me when someone pours salt on food before even checking the taste.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Chef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
Most Fast Food - I admit that I will get some stuff on a rare basis...

Hate Papa Johns Pizza- that is an insult to the tastebuds
Papa Johns Pizza is a whole world of difference better than Pizza Slut... that said, It gripes me that they waste a whole hot pepper placed into every pizza box that leaves the store.. knowing that most people throw it away.. (I raid the boxes when I can, and put those future-less peppers into a pickle jar for future enjoyment)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It bothers me when I see my mom mix various things from her plate into one bite on a fork.. like mixing the rice or potato with the veggies or the main course, that's all OK. The herbs and textures compliment eachother. However when she also scoops up some of the Jello/cream cheese salad with it, or pierces her dinner salad to add a taste of that onto the fork with the rest of her food... yuck. I don't get it. It's OK they all mix together in your tummy, but they aren't meant to all go down at once.

Ketchup with eggs I never got, nor do I understand how kids can eat chicken with ketchup. I love A1 sauce and the two or three times a year I have steak, that baby is swimming in it.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
It seems that everything that comes from the sea, from New York to Maine, MUST be over breaded and deepfried. Cape Cod is especially guilty of this. It's a travesty. All that luscious seafood and its flavor gets completely lost in the bread and oil.
Man, you must really hate New England. I love fried fish-- and I can still pick up the subtleties of it prepared this way.

Dipping toast in runny egg yolk is one of the most disgusting things to me. Ughhhh.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFatSue View Post

C. Gee I could go on and on. I find it puzzling that some people salt and pepper their food, or cover it with ketchup or other condiments, before they even taste it. Maybe they go out to dinner only for the ketchup and simply use the food as a foundation? Quoth Hank Hill: "This is a great restaurant. It has 6 kinds of ketchup and 3 kinds of catsup!"
There is a word for people like this: autocondimentor.

[QUOTE=katorade;Processed cheese. You're not cheese. You are curds and lies. I don't care how nicely you melt, that's why God made double cremes and semi-softs.[/QUOTE]

The 'process' in processed cheese is boiling it to kill the molds that age the cheese and give it its flavor, so there is a word for processed cheese, too: frankencheese.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooz View Post
Man, you must really hate New England. I love fried fish-- and I can still pick up the subtleties of it prepared this way.

Dipping toast in runny egg yolk is one of the most disgusting things to me. Ughhhh.
Agreed, bad fried fish is going to be bad regardless of where you get it, and the East Coast knows how to make some gooooood fried fish. Being a Virginia girl, I'm partial to the mid-atlantic style myself. Usually a little spicy somethin-somethin in the mix.

I gotta disagree on the egg yolk and toast, though. That's one of the finer joys in life! I especially love just slightly overcooking soft-boiled eggs so the yolk has a less runny consistency and spreading that all over buttered toast.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ketchup on cottage cheese. My little brother used to do this and I threw up in my nose a little bit remembering it just now.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Chef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized rep

I'm the reason Heinz Ketchup is No. 1 in sales in this country. As a child, the phrase, "Having some fries with your ketchup?" was usually directed at me. I'm also guilty of using pure unadulterated Heinz Ketchup, from a squeeze bottle no less, as an ingredient in recipes ranging from jambalaya and red beans & rice, to meatloaf and BBQ. (in that regard I'm also guilty of using Tabasco, but nobody sees any travesty in that)

I know that Chicago'ns have a particular distaste for anyone that wants to put ketchup on their hot dog, let alone within the limits of the Windy City.

While I see nothing wrong with ketchup-laced scrambled eggs, I have never, ever tried ketchup on my ice cream. At least, not yet.

One exception would be a burger, which has pickles, cheese, onions and mustard ONLY.

-------------------------

A. Mayo on fries doesn't bother me.. as long as I'm allowed to mix a little hickory bbq sauce into it. I've yet to try the Canadian version using beef gravy and cheese curds.. as long as I'm allowed to add some Ketchup!

B. People who cover their food with black pepper, regardless if they've tasted it or not. I always thought this was what friends dared each other to do during school lunch...

C. I'll admit that I use processed cheese (cheez wiz, velveeta) only for its smooth melting factor.. And in nachos and cheese enchiladas.. Okay.. and in broccoli-cheese soup. And maybe over baked cauliflower.. Possibly on a cheesesteak sammich.. Kinda sorta with chorizo queso too.. Maybe on a slice of french bread under the broiler.. and in monte christo.. and to dip my fried catfish in..

D. While I agree that traditional chili has no beans, and no gound beef; when making chili for youngsters the following beans have no place in chili: Red Kidney, Northern, Lima, Butter, Green, Black-eyed peas, mung, garbanzo, and no lentils. Travesties!

Reds, Pintos, Azukis, Anasazis, Black and even Navy is fine.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Tooz -

We were in Maine on vacation a couple of years ago and had a hotdog - except it had LOBSTER in it instead of a friggin' weenie.

O. M. F. G.

!!!!!! - Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Nagel View Post
Ketchup on cottage cheese. My little brother used to do this and I threw up in my nose a little bit remembering it just now.
I grew up eating egg noodles mixed with ketchup and cottage cheese, it was called luction. Are you retching reading this?
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
katorade

My boyfriend likes his scrambled eggs with mustard and lots and lots of pepper. I love him, but BLARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
I grew up eating egg noodles mixed with ketchup and cottage cheese, it was called luction. Are you retching reading this?
Mainly curious if luction is short for something? Out-of-luction? Ejacu-luction? The mind boggles as the throat gags. I'm goggling.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
Yes! Luction Kugel! Typically with eggs and sugar too.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
katorade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Yes! Luction Kugel! Typically with eggs and sugar too.
A Hungarian family once invited me over and they had egg noodles mixed with sugar, ground walnuts, and sour cream. It was oddly tasty.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Nagel View Post
My little brother used to make a big production out of mixing Tang (a powdered pseudo-orange-flavored drink mix) and Alka-Seltzer in a big glass of water in front of me, watching it foam up, and then drinking it as if it was the most delicious nectar of the gods, making loud yum-yum sounds with every gulp. Yeccch!

Now it's 40 years later, and my brother realllly doesn't like me to remind him about that, especially in front of his wife.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFatSue View Post
My little brother used to make a big production out of mixing Tang (a powdered pseudo-orange-flavored drink mix) and Alka-Seltzer in a big glass of water in front of me, watching it foam up, and then drinking it as if it was the most delicious nectar of the gods, making loud yum-yum sounds with every gulp. Yeccch!

Now it's 40 years later, and my brother realllly doesn't like me to remind him about that, especially in front of his wife.
Having grown up in a family of non-coffee drinkers, hot cocoa and hot tang were the choices on family camping trips.