Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Are you a vegan or a carnivore?

Being a carnivore, I thought that was very funny. You may not agree.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yes! I didn't flight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Sue (happy omnivore and proud chocoholic, is life good or what? )
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Meat - good
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Meat lover- but I do enjoy my veggies too
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

It's not about being wimpy or needing a support group.

I've been a vegetarian my entire adult life (since age 12) and am moving towards veganism.

By doing so, I actively decline to encourage factory farming and the horrific pain and suffering that living creatures endure in the name of agribusiness. When I eat, I do so knowing no pig....a smart and social creature has lived a life of pain and solitude only to be killed. No sentient cow or chicken has been fed a hormone filled diet or crammed into a filthy feedlot, never to live a normal life. No veal calf has lived a short and painful life unable to stand up or socialize with its fellow calves.

I am not a wimp. Or a weirdo, or any sort of counterculture type. I am a thinking human who cares about the animals and every day chooses to not eat their flesh and contribute to their suffering and inhumane treatment.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post

I've been a vegetarian my entire adult life (since age 12) and am moving towards veganism.

By doing so, I actively decline to encourage factory farming and the horrific pain and suffering that living creatures endure in the name of agribusiness. When I eat, I do so knowing no pig....a smart and social creature has lived a life of pain and solitude only to be killed. No sentient cow or chicken has been fed a hormone filled diet or crammed into a filthy feedlot, never to live a normal life. No veal calf has lived a short and painful life unable to stand up or socialize with its fellow calves.

I am not a wimp. Or a weirdo, or any sort of counterculture type. I am a thinking human who cares about the animals and every day chooses to not eat their flesh and contribute to their suffering and inhumane treatment.
Do ya ever think about them 'taters?

Underneath the ground. No air? No sunlight? No music? No social life? No MSNBC? Hell, not even any Internet access. They can't even google, fer Christ's sake.

And all just for your culinary gratification. SHAME!

To be wrapped in aluminum foil and to be CREMATED, or to be MANGLED with cream, salt, pepper, and butter. DOUBLE SHAME!

And then to plopped down on a plate next to cow/pig/chicken/Bambi/moose/lamb as a mere SIDE DISH? TRIPLE SHAME!

(Just funnin' wit' ya, sweetie. It's late and I've had a little more bourbon than usual. Please don't hate me . . .)

- Jim
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
KatrinaBombshell

KatrinaBombshell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKatrinaBombshell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

im a total meat eater. all the way. i like veggies some of the time but it is rare...oh wait thats how i like my cow.... mmmmmm steak
but anyway yeah meat. if God didnt want us to eat the animals he wouldnt have made them of meat! lol
KatrinaBombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

"In a strict scientific sense, Doctor, we all feed on death - even Vegetarians." (Spock - Wolf in the Fold).
Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't think LoveBHMS has a problem with death: everything dies. The objection here -- and it's part of the reason I don't eat meat myself -- is to the horrendous way animals are treated on factory farms. I don't want my money to pay for that. OTOH, I have a friend who was a hog farmer for years, until the factory farms ran him out of business. He cared for his pigs, saw that they had proper food and shelter, sunshine and fresh air, medicine if they got sick, and, when the time came, a quick and humane death. I would have no qualms about eating bacon from one of his pigs, if he were still in business.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns

Last edited by Dr. Feelgood; 08-31-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
CameoRose

CameoRose can now change their title
Default Happy Vegan

Vegan here! Although, I did kinda laugh at that post! Funny!

I read an article this past week that vegan's reduce their chance of having a heart attack by like 95% and their risk of a stroke by 90%.

Don't quote me but it was something really high like that. YAY for us vegans!
CameoRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

same here! Im getting really tired of meat-eaters and their uncalled for commentary when I order food.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameoRose View Post
Vegan here! Although, I did kinda laugh at that post! Funny!

I read an article this past week that vegan's reduce their chance of having a heart attack by like 95% and their risk of a stroke by 90%.

Don't quote me but it was something really high like that. YAY for us vegans!
There are so many good reasons to be vegetarian or vegan. It's better for the environment, better for the animals, and better for us. I don't evangelize, I let my good health and positive energy speak for itself. If anyone asks, I tell them why I don't eat meat and am in the process of giving up all animal products.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am a thinking person, and I eat meat. I do not crow about it, or have an odd proudness over eating meat. LovesBHM...sorry I did not quote you, but, I am curious. I think you are a food server? Is it a vegan restaurant? Just wondering how a person might reconcile serving up death to others. I know you mentioned factory farms, so perhaps it is easier for you to serve animals if they were treated ' well ', before they were slaughtered..?
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I know eating meat is more healthy for the animals but I really don't know about it being more healthy for people. I think it's far more difficult to get the right amount of protein and everything if you're a vegetarian/vegan. I mean, I realize you're not supposed to eat like 5 pounds of meat a day because it's high in fat but I think it's important to have some meat in your diet, especially if you don't plan on being extremely vigilant when it comes to getting your protein. I've seen far too many "vegetarians" who eat hardly any veggies or fruit at all and instead eat 5 pounds of pasta a day.. it's like, yeah, that's not really that much better (for you.) I honestly do feel terrible about the mistreatment of animals and I'd love to change my eating habits to only eating free range meat or something but my finances and lifestyle don't permit that right now. Maybe in the future.

Last edited by thatgirl08; 08-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
LoveBHMS
default title

Actually no.

The average American diet provides about 35-50 times the amount of protein a human needs.

Think about this: Do you know anyone personally, or do you know of anyone who has gotten sick from protein defiency? It simply is so rare in Western culture as to be unheard of. Most foods, including plant based ones have protein.

However, as I said...I do what I do and don't evangelize. I eat what I eat, and have done so for decades with no health problems.

I only discuss the issue if somebody asks.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
joh

joh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjoh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I was raised in a vegetarian household primarily due to my father's lifestyle. Having only know this lifestly growing up I have primarily adopted it for my adulthood. I did start eating Chicken as a protein supplement since tofu just wasn't cutting it for me (don't get me wrong, I still love tofu! Just not all the time).

I agree with Rachel, that being a vegetarian without the veggies is not near healthy at all (that use to be me). Actually consuming vegetables and fruits and not a ton of carbs can be very healthy. My father is a great example of living an optimal vegetarian diet. He's nearing 60, looks 45, and has not had one health issue (major or minor) in all of my existence. He attests that having not eating meat is a major reason he's so healthy, but I'm not sure if meat were to be thrown in in moderate portions if he'd still be of the same health.
joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
LoveBHMS
default title

True, but skipping out on fruits and vegetables is a poor health choice, whether or not you are eating meat. Eating nothing but pasta or bread is a bad idea, as is eating nothing but burgers and spaghetti and meatballs.

My being a vegetarian has nothing to do with health, it's an ethical choice, the health benefits are secondary. I've also hear of many patients with cancer, heart disease, and other problems adopt a plant based diet with great health results. They're not doing it because of the animals, even though their health choice has a positive effect on animals and the environment.

I think it's great just for people to be aware of these issues and to make choices that benefit their own health and hopefully animals as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
The average American diet provides about 35-50 times the amount of protein a human needs.

Think about this: Do you know anyone personally, or do you know of anyone who has gotten sick from protein defiency? It simply is so rare in Western culture as to be unheard of. Most foods, including plant based ones have protein
Quote:
True, but skipping out on fruits and vegetables is a poor health choice, whether or not you are eating meat. Eating nothing but pasta or bread is a bad idea, as is eating nothing but burgers and spaghetti and meatballs.

My being a vegetarian has nothing to do with health, it's an ethical choice, the health benefits are secondary. I've also hear of many patients with cancer, heart disease, and other problems adopt a plant based diet with great health results. They're not doing it because of the animals, even though their health choice has a positive effect on animals and the environment.

I think it's great just for people to be aware of these issues and to make choices that benefit their own health and hopefully animals as well.
Wow, that's a lot of extra protein.. I've never heard that before. That's interesting, really. I remember I was vegetarian (using this term loosely since it was such a short period of time) for a little less than 6 months when I was younger and I just remember approaching it the wrong way. I ate nothing but corn, green beans, pasta, cheese & soda. Literally. But, you're right, unhealthy eating is unhealthy eating regardless of whether you eat meat or not.

As far as ethics go, I really do wish I could make a change to free range meats (although I don't know how much better they are for the animals or environments really but I've heard some good things) but like I said, I don't have the money or the correct lifestyle to adopt something like that. For one, I depend on my parents about 25% of the time for food and 74% of the time on restaurants or fast food (terrible for me, I know) which leaves about 1% of the time I actually purchase my own groceries. Secondly, I don't have the money anymore due to spending tons of it on eating out the last 6 months (among various other things) and without having a job I'm left with 62.53 in my bank account and a car payment for 178.11 coming in 15 days. Lucky me. Point blank: I ain't got the cash to change my eating habits right now. I'm living on Ramen and 89 cent tacos from T Bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
I was raised in a vegetarian household primarily due to my father's lifestyle. Having only know this lifestly growing up I have primarily adopted it for my adulthood. I did start eating Chicken as a protein supplement since tofu just wasn't cutting it for me (don't get me wrong, I still love tofu! Just not all the time).

I agree with Rachel, that being a vegetarian without the veggies is not near healthy at all (that use to be me). Actually consuming vegetables and fruits and not a ton of carbs can be very healthy. My father is a great example of living an optimal vegetarian diet. He's nearing 60, looks 45, and has not had one health issue (major or minor) in all of my existence. He attests that having not eating meat is a major reason he's so healthy, but I'm not sure if meat were to be thrown in in moderate portions if he'd still be of the same health.
I can attest to the fact that his father looks super young for his age. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with his vegetarian eating but I do think some of it can be attributed to the fact that he is a general contractor and therefore gets a ton of exercise a day.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Oirish
The Dude

Oirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going on

My eyes are in the front of my head, I have sharp teath (abnormally so some would say)...I am a predatory animal by design. Meat tastes good. I don't make any judgements toward vegetarians or vegans though.
Oirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Yeah, I don't think I could give up meat for the sole fact that I enjoy it and I've been raised on it so I definitely crave it if I don't have it for a few days.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

I eat what I want, and I don't have any problems with others doing the same. I've never understood people's need to tell other people what they should/shouldn't be eating. For my part I prefer the company of adventurous eaters over conservative ones and even though I eat meat I would rather eat with an adventurous vegetarian than a carnivore who won't try new things.

Right now my biggest problem with eating vegetables is the limited repertoire of vegetables that the people who also eat what I cook will eat. The other side of the coin is the problem I run into with vegetarian friends that is illustrated by this scenario: Vegetarian friend comes over to my house when I am about to eat a dish with meat in it. Politeness dictates that I offer food to anyone who shows up at mealtime. Internal dialogue goes back and forth between must offer food vs vegetarian friend doesn't want meat dish. Every time the politeness reflex wins and I offer food. At this point the vegetarian who has been my friend for over ten years decides I have forgotten they don't eat meat and reminds me that they are vegetarian and don't eat meat. I haven't forgotten, I'm just trying to be polite, I don't fix random vegetarian meals on the off chance that a vegetarian will show up at dinner time, so I offer the meat dish that I know you don't want, sorry.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just never understood, my entire life, why meat eaters have to take issue with the fact that i don't eat meat. i have been teased and questioned for my diet my entire life. I don't go around saying you're wrong for eating meat because it's none of my business. But the minute i tell someone that I'm a vegetarian i get judged, usually as a nutcase. Vegetarian is a bad word in this nation. I remember being constantly teased by my cousins because i was a weirdo for not eating meat. I didn't tell them that their diet was wrong. I'm 31 and haven't eaten meat, it doesn't make me protein lacking, wacko or just plain weird. I am vegetarian for religious reasons and actually have nightmares about people force feeding me meat. I just don't get the near violent (in words not actions) reactions that people have for the simple statement that i'm a vegetarian. Is it threatening that someone is different from you? Does it make you question your own choices? I never once tell someone that they're wrong for eating meat. I can't tell you how often people have tried to say "just try that meat or egg, you'll love it".
And contrary to popular belief, the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle can be full of yummy variety and tasty meals.

/rant

Last edited by HottiMegan; 09-01-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #23
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Megan, I don't get it either. Like weight, I'm not going to weigh in on someone's choices unless they ask or unless they're putting themselves in imminent danger and I feel like I can help. But there's no reason to give people grief for not eating meat (or for eating meat). I think people are just insecure; they feel judged by your food choices and so go on the offensive. Weird, I know, but that's people for ya!

So, while I'm neither vegan nor carnivore, but am an omnivore, I don't feel the need to belittle people for their food choices. It's all good, except maybe the ribbing (pun not intended) that I'm seeing in this thread. Food choices are incredibly personal and I know I don't like feeling put on the defensive; I hate to see others feel that way as well.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm an omnivore for sure. I have at times tried to really reduce the amount of meat that I eat, however of recent years I've had digestive issues that seem really sensitive to most concentrated veggie sources of proteins and iron--which sucks because I rather like lentils, beans, tofu and the like--so I've accepted that for me meat is probably the better source of those things. Who ever heard of eating meat for health reasons?

I have no issues with those who choose to be vegetarian, or vegan, or anything in that area. However I admit that enough of the ones that I've met first tell you that they are vegan (or whatever) and immediately follow it up with a lecture on the evils of meat, or how much better their diet is for the planet, or whatever, that it makes me a bit leery around them. That is, if the first thing I know about you is that you are vegan I may tend to avoid long conversations with you until I trust you not to be evangelical about it. Mind you, militant meat eaters can be just as annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
. My father is a great example of living an optimal vegetarian diet. He's nearing 60, looks 45, and has not had one health issue (major or minor) in all of my existence. He attests that having not eating meat is a major reason he's so healthy, but I'm not sure if meat were to be thrown in in moderate portions if he'd still be of the same health.
Or he could just have great genes. My father is similar in looking quite young for his age, in his seventies he water skis, down hill skis, plays tennis, and so on, with optimal blood pressure, cholesterol, and all of that. That after a lifetime of office jobs, being married to a woman who grew up on a dairy farm and who thinks that enough milk and eggs are the key to healthy living (and if my mom was away, he went straight for the KFC or pizza).

In other words, individual cases don't tell us much about the general case, for the most part.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #25
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

For the record, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone in this thread for being vegetarian, just stating opinions.