Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
For the record, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone in this thread for being vegetarian, just stating opinions.
Yeah, me too. Not picking on anyone; just trying to get a laff. I'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first and don't care what anyone else eats (or doesn't eat).
Old 09-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #27
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
I am a thinking person, and I eat meat. I do not crow about it, or have an odd proudness over eating meat. LovesBHM...sorry I did not quote you, but, I am curious. I think you are a food server? Is it a vegan restaurant? Just wondering how a person might reconcile serving up death to others. I know you mentioned factory farms, so perhaps it is easier for you to serve animals if they were treated ' well ', before they were slaughtered..?
Like pretty much every single person alive, I have facets of my job that I don't like. Serving meat to those that order it is part of my job. I don't tell anyone what to order, but if asked about a particular dish I am always honest and tell them I don't eat meat and have never tried it.

I am not crowing, nor do I think I display and odd proudness over my choice. Do I think it's a good choice? Yes. Do I think it's right on many levels? Yes. If somebody disagrees, that is their right and if they choose to discuss it with me, I will do so.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
bbw.arawa

bbw.arawa can now change their title
Default Love best of both worlds :D

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, always loved creative veggie meals. My favorite restaurant is the ''Golden Temple'' in Amsterdam from the manufacturers of ''Yogi Tea''. Very delicious indian and mexican veggie cuisine My all time favorite meal there is ''Green Enchilada'', two corn tortillas filled with cheese, onions and sauce made from sour cream, green chilies and lots of fresh coriander. Served with refried beans, rice and salad garnish...hmmm...one of Golden Temple's Old Favorites! Google for ''golden temple amsterdam'' - then you'll get it!

Since 11 years I eat meat again, but I try to integrate my experiences I made during my vegetarian years into my ''fatty lifestyle'' - I really love best of both worlds...haha.

Last edited by bbw.arawa; 09-01-2009 at 01:52 PM.
bbw.arawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I have no issues with those who choose to be vegetarian, or vegan, or anything in that area. However I admit that enough of the ones that I've met first tell you that they are vegan (or whatever) and immediately follow it up with a lecture on the evils of meat, or how much better their diet is for the planet, or whatever, that it makes me a bit leery around them. That is, if the first thing I know about you is that you are vegan I may tend to avoid long conversations with you until I trust you not to be evangelical about it. Mind you, militant meat eaters can be just as annoying.
Exactly. When you get right down to it, I eat what I eat because that's what I grew up with. It's a simple as that. I'm a happy omnivore who feels that whatever others want to eat is a personal choice and it's perfectly fine. Food can be a very personal issue. Those who take issue with vegetarians, vegans etc. simply don't understand what it's about, view it as a rejection of their own personal choices and overreact. People overreact about a lot of things, and comfort foods can be an explosive subject. Maybe they think if they can convert someone else to their choices they will validate themselves. I've been the victim of militant vegetarians, carnivores etc. who lecture me that I'm fat because I don't eat their way. They're not very numerous, but they are vocal and memorable. But I must admit, many of those vegetarian dishes look soooo good. Very creative.

The great food mystery for me is: why do some people on cruise ships run to the nearest McDonald's in port like they're starving for what they call "real food"? Oh, right, comfort food.

Last edited by TallFatSue; 09-02-2009 at 01:13 PM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have not eaten poultry, beef or pork for about six years; however I still eat seafood 2-4 times a month. That doesn't technically make me a vegetarian, but I am referred to as such most of the time because it is easier than getting into a big discussion about my food preferences. Part of my decision to stop eatng meat was for ethical reasons, however I also simply do not like the taste or texture of it. I am extremely sensitive to the smell and taste of iron, so to me, a lot of meats, meat products, or authentic meat soup stocks smell overpoweringly of blood. It is not appealing.

I do not brag about my lifestyle because I'm not perfect: I still consume fish, as well as milk and eggs, and these food products involve just as much cruelty as meat itself. However, I once had a vegan give me some really solid advice that made me feel a bit better about my choices:

"It is much better to slowly and gradually reduce your consumption of animal products and to stop at an amount that you can manage in the long term, than to push yourself to adhere to an abrupt, strict vegan diet. If you push yourself too hard you're likely to burn out and return to your previous eating habits feeling defeated. You'll convince yourself that you just can't handle a reduction in your animal product intake, and you'll probably never try it again."

Take it slow, and do what you can! Any reduction in your consumption of animal products is a reduction in the demand for such products. If enough people even just lowered their intake of these products by a quarter or a half, there wouldn't be so much pressure on farmers to take drastic, cruel measures to produce these products on a mass scale.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
Vespertine

Vespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this board

I'm a lacto-vegetarian/mostly vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1h View Post
Politeness dictates that I offer food to anyone who shows up at mealtime. Internal dialogue goes back and forth between must offer food vs vegetarian friend doesn't want meat dish. Every time the politeness reflex wins and I offer food. At this point the vegetarian who has been my friend for over ten years decides I have forgotten they don't eat meat and reminds me that they are vegetarian and don't eat meat. I haven't forgotten, I'm just trying to be polite, I don't fix random vegetarian meals on the off chance that a vegetarian will show up at dinner time, so I offer the meat dish that I know you don't want, sorry.
Oh man, I've been on the other end lots of times. It is always awkward for both and I appreciate that. Maybe just point out the side dishes that are vegetarian instead? That way it will be polite and show that you remember about their veginess. I mean, they're not going to eat the main dish anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I just never understood, my entire life, why meat eaters have to take issue with the fact that i don't eat meat. i have been teased and questioned for my diet my entire life. I don't go around saying you're wrong for eating meat because it's none of my business. But the minute i tell someone that I'm a vegetarian i get judged, usually as a nutcase. Vegetarian is a bad word in this nation. I remember being constantly teased by my cousins because i was a weirdo for not eating meat. I didn't tell them that their diet was wrong. I'm 31 and haven't eaten meat, it doesn't make me protein lacking, wacko or just plain weird. I am vegetarian for religious reasons and actually have nightmares about people force feeding me meat.
My friend, do I know where you are coming from. I never liked meat as a child so I've been vegetarian my whole life, and I remember being shamed constantly for it growing up. It adds to my food issues in a unique way, in addition to being a fat kid, i was also the one with a funny diet that everyone had to remark on. I also have nightmares about being served meat, finding meat in something I was eating, etc.
Vespertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #32
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed

I am a meat eater, but it seems more and more that looking for deals on meat is not a good idea. Just had to throw away a few pieces last night. It seems like the low-costs stores sell you dregs on the verge of turning half the time.
Elfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #33
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I work at Omaha Steaks. Meat is pretty much my life since I'm a "steak expert" and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post
Think about this: Do you know anyone personally, or do you know of anyone who has gotten sick from protein defiency? It simply is so rare in Western culture as to be unheard of. Most foods, including plant based ones have protein.
Actually, yes, I do. My mother in-law was told to eat a strict diet of red meat and protein bars until her counts were at a stable level. Her body doesn't absorb protein or iron. Her iron is so low she has to get blood transfusions every 4-6 weeks.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #34
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

I love meat, and don't think I could ever give it up.
I do not judge anyone's choice whether to eat meat or not.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyEileen View Post
I work at Omaha Steaks. Meat is pretty much my life since I'm a "steak expert" and all.
Omaha Steaks! Back in the days before the do-not-call registry, they used to call (without saying who they were) and pretend to be conducting a survey as a lead-in to telling you about their product. I don't know how they got my number, but a very nice lady called and asked me whether I had noticed my grocery bill getting larger (I hadn't). The conversation continued:

NICE LADY: Do you like to eat tender, juicy, prime beef?

ME: No.

NICE LADY: You DON'T??!!!!

ME: I'm a vegetarian.

NICE LADY: Oh. We sell cheese, too.

I thought that was a very good comeback, and I'm glad they're still in business.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #36
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Omaha Steaks! Back in the days before the do-not-call registry, they used to call (without saying who they were) and pretend to be conducting a survey as a lead-in to telling you about their product. I don't know how they got my number, but a very nice lady called and asked me whether I had noticed my grocery bill getting larger (I hadn't). The conversation continued:

NICE LADY: Do you like to eat tender, juicy, prime beef?

ME: No.

NICE LADY: You DON'T??!!!!

ME: I'm a vegetarian.

NICE LADY: Oh. We sell cheese, too.

I thought that was a very good comeback, and I'm glad they're still in business.
Interesting. We don't sell cheese now and we've never put a grade our meat. Plus, I don't call anyone. I'm an assistant manager for a retail store.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #37
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

The only people I give shit to about their diets are the ones who feed their kids nothing but fast food and crap like Hamburger Helper. One person in particular really drives me nuts because she never, never feeds her kids fruit or vegetables unless you count the pickles and fries in the Happy Meals or the tomatoes in the Spaghetti O's. Disgusting. Nor have I ever heard any meat eating friend of mine harassing a veggie friend of mine. On the other hand, I have been lectured by sanctimonious veggies (definitely not friends of mine) trying to guilt people out of eating meat. (I only see one person here doing that). It just makes me go have a nice, bloody, rare steak.

We have cut back a lot on the amount of meat we eat, for health reasons mostly, but I know we'll never go vegetarian. Don't want to for one and I don't believe humans are meant to live a totally plant based diet. If we were we have the chewing equipment of a ruminant rather than the omnivore equipment nature gave us. Like many things what you eat is a personal choice and as long as what you choose to eat is legal everyone else should STFU about it.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #38
mediaboy

Location: The corner of Hell & Holarity - pinky out, Mother Fucker
mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mediaboy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Vegan.

I don't really like meat and generally I puke when I eat fake meat.

I eat a lot of vegetables.

My life has some sort of purpose and ideological motive.

I have lots of energy all day, every day; especially for fucking and riding bikes.

I've been told my semen tastes like divine ambrosia by multiple ladies.

From what I hear omnivore semen tastes like shit soup that had a cigarette put out in it.

Vegan ftw.

Edit

ps I poop five times a day ATLEAST and they are all no whipers.

IN YOUR FACE LOL
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #39
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

nvm........

Last edited by Saoirse; 09-21-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #40
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

How about that, the ignore button does still come in handy. Hadn't used it in years.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Equally tempted by a rare steak and a plate of pasta. Call me The Omnivore!

(Don't like Moderates? We have all the decent Pizzas!)
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #42
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like veggies, next to my meat of course, but i like em.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #43
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

for the carnivores.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meat.jpg (24.2 KB, 106 views)
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #44
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Happy carnivore.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #45
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
for the carnivores.....
*snort* love it.

I heard a term the other day. "Locavore" -- basically it's one of the food movements that encourages people to eat foods grown/caught/killed close to home. I like the idea, even while living in Alaska and knowing there's no way in HELL that I'd do it. I'm so not into muktuk, dried seaweed and salmon berries. Although I do enjoy moose from time to time, and I love the fish we have up here.

But yeah, me, an Alaskan locavore? Don't think so. But once I get down to the lower 48 in an area where you can actually grow food, I'm going to move in that direction.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #46
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

My husband is a vegetarian for both health and philosophical reasons and people crack me up with the questions they ask him.

No one, well at least that I know of, has ever tried to change his mind. I tease him sometimes and remark how delicious my steak is, but that is because we constantly rib each other. For convenience, and expense, and just - well, because - I eat a pretty vegetarian lifestyle because I don't care that much about meat, at least not enough to cook two meals and deal with the leftovers of tons of meat products from just one serving at a time.

I wonder if the people who take such umbrage with vegetarians do it because they feel, rightly or more likely wrongly, that when someone says "I am vegetarian for ethical reasons, I love animals," that they are being told by eating meat they are unethical or somehow hate animals. I don't think most vegetarians are doing this, but there are some militant animal rights groups that do try to advance that propaganda.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #47
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have the same qualms with many outspoken, militant vegetarians as they do with me. I don't enjoy being singled out as an evil, heartless, bloodthirsty, ignorant killer when I'm eating a turkey sandwich. Unless they eat nothing but food they've grown themselves, they have no room to talk when it comes to things like factory farming and agriculture. Where do they think their food is grown? Space? No. It's grown right here, in farmlands that have wiped out the natural habitats of surrounding wildlife, with pesticides and factory by-product run-off that poisons soil and waterways. And those that refuse to eat meat because of factory farming, why not just support local farmers instead? They could use your money!

I'll sound pretty evil for this, but, I just can't care about livestock that much. No, I can't stand to see them being mistreated or like they're already dead when they're not, but the idea that an animal has to die to make my burger doesn't phase me. Cows are stupid. Chickens? Stupid. Pigs? Pigs are fairly intelligent, but they'd also EAT YOU if they were hungry enough. Pigs are the only ones that would make it a while in nature without human assistance. These animals have basically been engineered over centuries for us to eat. They serve absolutely no other purpose.

Ironically, many of the vegetarians that have battled it out with me eat fish, and they have absolutely no idea how many of the fish they eat are overfished, or how other species of animals are getting wiped out either by getting caught in nets with them, or being killed for being our competition.

If I could, all of my food would either be produced by me, or sourced by farmer's markets or local suppliers, but that's just not always possible. I had my own garden while I was physically able to tend to it. When I lived closer to my parents, the majority of the meat I ate was venison or elk or fish or fowl my own father had hunted.

My best friend is a pescetarian. We eat together all the time and neither of us comment on the other's eating habits. I've actually helped her source foods in the past to broaden her vegetarian diet and find foods she feels good about eating. I eat vegetarian meals with her all the time. I once accidentally fed her chicken and felt horrible about it, not amused or righteous. I'm not the "enemy".

Last edited by katorade; 10-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #48
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Children can be stupid... should we eat them?
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #49
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Only if they grow up to be stupid adults that ask stupid questions.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #50
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
I tease him sometimes and remark how delicious my steak is, but that is because we constantly rib each other.
Heh. You said "rib". Heh. Geddit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katorade View Post
I have the same qualms with many outspoken, militant vegetarians as they do with me. I don't enjoy being singled out as an evil, heartless, bloodthirsty, ignorant killer when I'm eating a turkey sandwich. Unless they eat nothing but food they've grown themselves, they have no room to talk when it comes to things like factory farming and agriculture. Where do they think their food is grown? Space? No. It's grown right here, in farmlands that have wiped out the natural habitats of surrounding wildlife, with pesticides and factory by-product run-off that poisons soil and waterways. And those that refuse to eat meat because of factory farming, why not just support local farmers instead? They could use your money!
Yeah pretty much just by being human and eating in a way other than gathering berries, we're altering out environment. Period. Eating food grown locally at least minimizes the amount of petroleum products used to truck/train/barge it from one end of the country to another.

Quote:
I'll sound pretty evil for this, but, I just can't care about livestock that much. No, I can't stand to see them being mistreated or like they're already dead when they're not, but the idea that an animal has to die to make my burger doesn't phase me.
It bothers me but not enough to stop eating meat. I love animals -- all animals, even the stupid ones, including stupid people. And I do feel badly I guess that animals have to die. But like it or not, humans are omnivores and I need protein -- animal protein -- to thrive. The only thing I can do is try to eat animals that have been grown, and killed, in as humane way as possible. Plus, if humans didn't eat animals, other predators would, and I guarantee that the way predators kill is far less humane than how it's done in humanely run farms (non-humane methods in factory farming is another story...)

Quote:
Ironically, many of the vegetarians that have battled it out with me eat fish, and they have absolutely no idea how many of the fish they eat are overfished, or how other species of animals are getting wiped out either by getting caught in nets with them, or being killed for being our competition.
Yeah, uhm, if you're eating fish you're not a vegetarian. And I think it's easier for people to eat fish because they don't have big brown eyes, which is really unfair to the fish because they, too, feel pain and they usually suffocate to death, which is an AWFUL way to die, not to mention the nets which yes, are indiscriminate in what they catch and kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Children can be stupid... should we eat them?
Actually I've found that children are quite smart. It's adults who can be stupid.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote