Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default "Diabetic Friendly" groceries

Has anyone found sugar free yogurt? Blue Bunny used to make some, but I haven't been able to find it.

We did manage to find some Dannon Lite and Fit "Diabetic Friendly" yogurt. It only comes in 3 flavors..

I've bought some Da Vinci Sugar Free syrup..I'm going to give it a try in the vanilla yogurt.

What else have you found that you like?
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Misty, can you doctor up plain yogurt with sugar free jams or other flavorings?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

I may be wrong about this but I think most conventional "plain" yogurt has about as much sugar as flavored yogurt e.g. double digit grams of sugar per serving, despite the tart flavor. But what about plain greek yogurt, some of those brands are very low carb/sugar and would probably be easy flavored the way SVS suggested.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Go for greek style yogurt. It's plain and sugarfree, and you can put anything in it. I don't like presweetened yogurt myself, so I always buy the greek stuff.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

My grandma is a diabetic so she often cooks and buys diabetic friendly things for us. The sugar free candy that Russell Stovers makes is actually really really good.. can't even tell the difference!
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
I may be wrong about this but I think most conventional "plain" yogurt has about as much sugar as flavored yogurt e.g. double digit grams of sugar per serving, despite the tart flavor. But what about plain greek yogurt, some of those brands are very low carb/sugar and would probably be easy flavored the way SVS suggested.
oops! You're right. I goofed! And yeah, I love Greek yogurt, so I'm glad that is the better choice.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I may have to give greek yogurt a try.

I can't do sugar free candy. Most of it has sugar alcohol in it and let's just say my tummy doesn't like it. I'm lucky that I don't really eat much candy anyways.

I haven't tried murphy's line of cookies or anything..I may give those a try soon.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

the "sugar" in plain yogurt is from the milk, milk has natural sugar in it. I love greek yogurt and I put splenda in it or DaVinci syrup(hazelnut is my fav). I also put natural peanut butter in it. One of my favorite things to do with yogurt is mix it with sugar free maple syrup and add some walnuts, yum!! I also do that with oatmeal.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I may have to give greek yogurt a try.

I can't do sugar free candy. Most of it has sugar alcohol in it and let's just say my tummy doesn't like it. I'm lucky that I don't really eat much candy anyways.

I haven't tried murphy's line of cookies or anything..I may give those a try soon.
Those cookies have the same sugar alcohols in them as far as I know. Sucks.

If you can't find greek yogurt let me know.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

greek yogurt is also higher in protein. my great aunt has to carefully watch her blood sugar because she is a borderline diabetic and lives on the stuff! If you can't find it, or don't want to pay for it, what you can do is take regular plain yogurt (buy the kind without any additional fillers like gelatin) put it in a colander lined with cheesecloth or paper towel and place the colander in a giant bowl overnight to 24 hours. what you will be left with is yogurt cheese and the texture is outstanding.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

Misty I know you live in Oklahoma. You can find the greek yogurt at Walmart. I love adding some honey to mine. yummm
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels_mystery View Post
Misty I know you live in Oklahoma. You can find the greek yogurt at Walmart. I love adding some honey to mine. yummm
Really?!?!? I thought you couldn't get it there! Huh! I was going to suggest the health food store. LMAO! I'll look at Walmart for it next time!!
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie1653 View Post
Really?!?!? I thought you couldn't get it there! Huh! I was going to suggest the health food store. LMAO! I'll look at Walmart for it next time!!
I've been buying it at the Norman store for over six months. Now they sell a large size container. I am sure its less expensive than going to the health food store. Happy Shopping!!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #14
MisticalMisty

The Sams on NW Expressway and Council sell it. I noticed it Monday night, but having never tried it, I didn't want to spend money on something I wasn't sure about..you know?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I buy the Dannon carb control yogurt the blueberry and strawberry are not bad.

Last shopping trip I bought some Quinoa and it is pretty good. I also found some noodles made from brown rice I haven't tried them yet however.

I really hate the taste of splenda on my oatmeal and cereal though I find it okay in my morning coffee. I have been using Whey-Low for diabetics in my cereal etc and it is fab. You can sprinkle it on your tongue and you can't tell the difference between it and sugar. I have not noticed that it spikes my blood sugar (your milage may vary). It is spendy but a 2 pound package has lasted me 4 months so far. Sometimes on holidays the whey low site will offer free shipping. In some areas Whey-low is available in stores.

Last edited by IdahoCynth; 09-03-2009 at 06:23 PM.
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Since I'm mildly gluten intolerant, I buy quinoa pasta all the time. It's pretty good. Brown rice noodles are tricky tho. If you cook them too long they get very mushy, so you have to watch them when you cook them. If you want to add them to a dish, add them last or else they get mushy. If you are cooking them to make something that you are going to freeze so can take it for lunch then undercook them slightly. So when you heat them up they will absorb the frozen water and be the right consistency.

Mei fun and chow fun noodles are also made from rice, and so are udon and soba noodles. Cellophane noodles are made from mung beans, and can make for interesting dishes too.

Oh and I get all those noodles from either wholefoods or from health food stores. Occasionally I find flat rice noodles (like pad thai noodles) in the grocery store in the asian items section or with the instant noodle bowls.

Last edited by olwen; 09-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
olwen
Disco Bear

Also, Misty, it might be helpful to search around on gluten free sites for how to cook with and where to buy such foods. Glutenfreegirl.com is a good one. Glutino makes all kinds of pre-packaged gluten free products, some of which are made with alternate sugar sources like fruit juice or stevia or some such....
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default sorta on topic...

Has anyone tried agave syrup?

I bought some and tasted it tastes fine, no strange tastes like some of the chemical stuff, so I have put it in salad dressings and tea so far but...

I am wondering has anyone cooked with the stuff in recipes calling for sugars or sweeteners, not baking specifically, but maybe stuff like sauces?

I am not diabetic so not sure if its diabetic friendly but from what I have read about it, it is supposed to have a much lower impact on your sugars even though it appears to have the same amount of sugar/carbs as traditional sweetener.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
My grandma is a diabetic so she often cooks and buys diabetic friendly things for us. The sugar free candy that Russell Stovers makes is actually really really good.. can't even tell the difference!
Yes, these do taste really good. However, do NOT overeat them as you will have painful, noisy and reSOUNDing effects. Trust me on this one.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Fyreflyintheskye
☯tae kwan donut champ☯

Fyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Yes, these do taste really good. However, do NOT overeat them as you will have painful, noisy and reSOUNDing effects. Trust me on this one.
a trumpet will sound your arrival into any room
Old 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
MisticalMisty

I found four new loves this weekend:

Low carb bagels

Only 10 carbs and 18 grams of protein per bagel and they taste really great!

DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups-So far I've only tried the raspberry, but it's out of this world!

Walden Farms Caramel Dip
it doesn't taste exactly like caramel, but more like butter pecan syrup. It's really good. I bought some low carb vanilla ice cream and it was so flipping good on top of it!

Last, but not least...apple butter. OMG Taste just like the apple butter at Cracker Barrel. I had a savory sandwich with my bagel today, I'm going to try cream cheese and apple butter for breakfast. It has 4 carbs, but 1 tbsp is MORE than plenty!