Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Your saddest Recession meal?

In all honesty, I was going to title this thread "Your favorite Recession meal?" because it really doesn't have to be sad at all! They can be quite tasty!

So I'm wondering what were some of your most pathetic, searching-the-cupboards meals you've ever scraped together due to either lack of funds are just not able to get to the supermarket to get better food?

Here's a few of mine:

A can of peas and a bologna sandwich made with the heels of the bread.

Three old flour tortillas and two frozen veggie breakfast patties my ex housemate left.

Top Ramen Noodles with a frozen chicken drumstick chopped up in it.

Left-over chow mein scrambled with two eggs served over stale Triscuits.
Les Toil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I was going to say Pop-Tarts, but that sounds gourmet compared to some of your meals LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well Les: i don't know about pathetic-but, definitely creative. You can usually get a good meal out of the Ramen Noodles.

Egg Salad Sandwich

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich

Top Ramen Noodles (Spicy Chicken Flavor): stirred in a Raw Egg ( Egg Drop Soup) - some diced left over chicken, sprinkeled in some curry powder, dash of hot sauce.
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy girl View Post
I was going to say Pop-Tarts, but that sounds gourmet compared to some of your meals LOL
I like Pop Tarts - but for some reason I find the frosted one way too sweet...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
I like Pop Tarts - but for some reason I find the frosted one way too sweet...
Steve doesn't like the frosted ones either. My favorite are the chocolate chip ones, but we usually have the unfrosted strawberry ones laying around in the cupboards
Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
QueenB
zoo-music girl

QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

:] pasta with peas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Canned pinto beans and corn bread

Typical Poor Man's Supper type stuff here in the south

Beans 'n rice, greens, corn bread.....some might toss in fried taters

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB View Post
I luv this link am adding it to my Facebook. Thank you so much for sharing Clara QueenB
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
QueenB
zoo-music girl

QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!QueenB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhibited View Post
I luv this link am adding it to my Facebook. Thank you so much for sharing Clara QueenB
you're welcome! she's my favorite
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post

Top Ramen Noodles (Spicy Chicken Flavor): stirred in a Raw Egg ( Egg Drop Soup) - some diced left over chicken, sprinkeled in some curry powder, dash of hot sauce.
I do this too! Only addition is some chili powder and sometimes a few finely diced chilis and a small amount of fish sauce.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Chef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized rep

(these are all combinations from my college years)

generic mac and cheese with a generic can of vegetable soup stirred in.
ramen with sliced hot dog and salsa
ramen with generic tomato soup and sardines
rice and veggies (any canned or frozen) with salsa
quesadillas using gov't cheese
cereal (there's almost always a box of raisin bran or lucky charms)

(yes for some reason I always had one of those big 1/2 gallon jugs of Pace Picante)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
(these are all combinations from my college years)

generic mac and cheese with a generic can of vegetable soup stirred in.
ramen with sliced hot dog and salsa
ramen with generic tomato soup and sardines
rice and veggies (any canned or frozen) with salsa
quesadillas using gov't cheese
cereal (there's almost always a box of raisin bran or lucky charms)

(yes for some reason I always had one of those big 1/2 gallon jugs of Pace Picante)
What a horrible time to be out of rep for gov't cheese.....

Baked potato with salsa and dab of sour cream tastes just as good as chili on a baked potato - and is cheaper

Oh I knew someone that mixed that canned cheap hot dog chili in with mashed potatoes for lunch one time......ewwww

My friend and I used to open a can of hot dog chili and dab it up with white bread for something to eat as kids.

Tomato/mayo sandwiches and banana/mayo sandwiches are also good and cheap.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Chef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized rep

LOL! Beanie Weenie with those dry potato flakes stirred in... I think I called it Chili con tater head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post

Baked potato with salsa and dab of sour cream tastes just as good as chili on a baked potato - and is cheaper

Oh I knew someone that mixed that canned cheap hot dog chili in with mashed potatoes for lunch one time......ewwww

My friend and I used to open a can of hot dog chili and dab it up with white bread for something to eat as kids.

Last edited by Chef; 09-17-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: ETA: I'm out of rep too... :mad:
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
desertcheeseman
I like dessert cheese too

desertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdesertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:

I gave him one of my rep points for you... Government cheese is awesome. I know this will probably cause some people to question my socioeconomic status, but my family actually got the USDA food surplus cheese when I was a kid. It was not that bad, kind of like a very mild Velveeta, and it actually made pretty good quesadillas and mac and cheese. I don't think they do that anymore. I guess the government no longer feels the need to subsidize the dairy industry, not when Kraft can get $5 a box for real Velveeta.

However, that cheap "hot dog topping" is not awesome. It is as close to real chili as SPAMô is to Virginia ham. For the price of a few cans of that stuff, I can put a pound of hamburger, a pound of beans, and a can of tomatoes in a crockpot and make enough good chili to last me for days. Add some rice and you have yourself some very decent recession chow.
desertcheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
I do this too! Only addition is some chili powder and sometimes a few finely diced chilis and a small amount of fish sauce.
Yes - Now that sounds very tasty and the fish sauce and chilis give it that nice flavor.

I like the versatility if the Top Ramen Noodles. You treat them as a base and just add stuff. It makes for a very quick meal

Roast Beef Ramen Noodles : I would just dice some veggies (green peppers- onions) and add them to the soup when it's done & top it off with some thin slices of Deli Style Roast Beef.

Some interesting Ramen Noodle recipes Ideas that I've seen online
For all the following recipes- ditch the Flavor packet
The fun part is that you get to add your fav spices to these dishes

Tequila Lime Ramen
Prepare ramen according to package directions minus the flavor packet. Drain noodles. Slice a lime in half and squeeze over the ramen. Add 1/2 shot tequila and a few red-pepper flakes

Shrimp and Bacon Ramen
Prepare ramen according to package directions without the flavor packet. Drain and set aside. Chop three slices of bacon into bite-sized pieces. Fry until crispy. Add a few popcorn-sized frozen shrimp. Fry four minutes. Add ramen noodles to the pan and toss with a few cilantro leaves.

Healthy Ramen

Use only one cup of water to boil ramen, and toss half a bag of baby spinach in the water while you're cooking it. Add a 1/2 cup cubed tofu and one small grated carrot. Add salt and pepper to taste

Giada De Lau-ramen

Prepare ramen according to package directions. Drain. Pour a drizzle of olive oil into a frying pan along with a spoonful of capers and two chopped artichoke hearts from a jar. Cook three minutes. Add ramen, and cook one minute more. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Breakfast Ramen
Fry three slices of bacon and set aside to crisp, reserving fat. Bring two cups water to a low simmer. Add ramen noodles and two eggs. Cook until eggs are just poached, about three minutes. Remove eggs with slotted spoon, and drain ramen. Place ramen in bowl and toss with one teaspoon reserved bacon fat. Place eggs on top and break yolks into ramen. Top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.

Bloody Ramen

For the morning after the night before. Cook ramen in one can tomato soup. Add one teaspoon horseradish from a jar, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and Tabasco to taste. Garnish with pimento-stuffed olives and a celery stalk. Top with a vodka floater.

Source

Asylum.com-Ramen Noodles Recipes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertcheeseman View Post
I gave him one of my rep points for you... Government cheese is awesome. I know this will probably cause some people to question my socioeconomic status, but my family actually got the USDA food surplus cheese when I was a kid. It was not that bad, kind of like a very mild Velveeta, and it actually made pretty good quesadillas and mac and cheese. I don't think they do that anymore. I guess the government no longer feels the need to subsidize the dairy industry, not when Kraft can get $5 a box for real Velveeta.

However, that cheap "hot dog topping" is not awesome. It is as close to real chili as SPAMô is to Virginia ham. For the price of a few cans of that stuff, I can put a pound of hamburger, a pound of beans, and a can of tomatoes in a crockpot and make enough good chili to last me for days. Add some rice and you have yourself some very decent recession chow.
My ex-husband was a poor white kid that grew up in a "project". He and one of his childhood friends used to love joking about gov't cheese all the time back in the day. They thought it was good and had stories about people stealing gov't cheese and also using it as a bartering tool to get stuff they wanted. The term gov't cheese is oddly quite amusing to me now....

Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
desertcheeseman

desertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdesertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
My ex-husband was a poor white kid that grew up in a "project". He and one of his childhood friends used to love joking about gov't cheese all the time back in the day. They thought it was good and had stories about people stealing gov't cheese and also using it as a bartering tool to get stuff they wanted. The term gov't cheese is oddly quite amusing to me now....
It is rather amusing, isn't it? I bet if you put government cheese and government pork between two slices of bread, you'd have a pretty good sandwich. I grew up in a hillbilly town out in the middle of nowhere. My family was not very well off even based on the standards of the area. Some of the foodstuffs mentioned in this thread sound like things we ate every day when I was a kid (recession or not.) In fact, the ramen discussion is making me hungry... and nostalgic...
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default EdgarsOnePotMeal

Add 1 lb fried ground beef and 1 lb cooked mixed
vegetables to 7-to-16 oz prepared mac & cheese.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertcheeseman View Post
It is rather amusing, isn't it? I bet if you put government cheese and government pork between two slices of bread, you'd have a pretty good sandwich. I grew up in a hillbilly town out in the middle of nowhere. My family was not very well off even based on the standards of the area. Some of the foodstuffs mentioned in this thread sound like things we ate every day when I was a kid (recession or not.) In fact, the ramen discussion is making me hungry... and nostalgic...

Lol yes.....why I mentioned the Poor Man's Supper and tomato sandwiches...this "recession meal" thread is kind of funny to southerners...

My mother was born in the depression and grew up WWII with ration stamps and the whole nine yards. She would complain about how when she was a kid, her parents would eat first then the kids got the leftovers. Sometimes she just had gravy on bread for dinner. She said she felt cheated/treated poorly until she moved here to the south where biscuits and gravy are such a common meal......

Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Oh "chili beans"

ground some hamburger meat with onions, add a can of pinto beans or pork n beans and a few dashes of hot sauce.....

Goes good with corn bread.

Gizzards.....just buy those innard pieces from the meat dept, roll them in flour and fry. That spatula full of lard scares me every time......

Only had those damn gizzards ONCE......I think I'll stick with beans and cornbread.

Oh and let's not forget hot dogs cut up into mac n cheese.

Fried hot dog or bologna sandwiches anyone?

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 09-17-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I ate two packages of plain chicken Ramen for breakfast a few days ago. yum. :/
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
desertcheeseman

Quote:
Lol yes.....why I mentioned the Poor Man's Supper and tomato sandwiches...this "recession meal" thread is kind of funny to southerners...

My mother was born in the depression and grew up WWII with ration stamps and the whole nine yards. She would complain about how when she was a kid, her parents would eat first then the kids got the leftovers. Sometimes she just had gravy on bread for dinner. She said she felt cheated/treated poorly until she moved here to the south where biscuits and gravy are such a common meal......
We always had food on the table... it wasn't always the healthiest or the most appetizing, but we seldom went hungry. We had food stamps and the aforementioned government cheese, which put us in a much better place than 90% of the people in the Great Depression. The nice thing about it though is that I learned how to be creative with ingredients and to make tasty meals with random leftovers and cheap staples, like rice and beans. Right now, I work in a place that provides my room and board, but I know that if I had to, I could live on a very tight food budget if I needed to. It's a very good skill to have, especially in this economy.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
mrwondercake

mrwondercake can now change their title

A bottle of maple syrup + white bread = syrup sandwiches.
mrwondercake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

2 for $2 hot dogs and Faygo last December.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Geektastic1

Geektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot pics

I just made a good freeezer clean-out soup out of a cooked turkey carcass and leftover turkey legs/wings I had in the freezer.

To make the stock I picked most of the meat off the turkey carcass and legs, dumped the bones (left a little meat on) into the pot with just enough water to cover, plus added the peel and butt ends of the onion I planned to put in the soup, and also the butt ends (washed first) of 3 carrots and leaves of 3 celery stalks, plus some garlic cloves and peels, and salt, plus some dried minced onion. I left it simmering for almost 4 hours (planned for 2, but got busy), which made a good stock. Then I strained it and tossed the bones/peels, etc.

To the stock I added the turkey meat, diced onion, carrots, celery stalks, a couple cups of leftover cooked brown rice that I had in the fridge, and some frozen broccoli I had to use up, and cooked it for about 40 minutes, until the carrots were tender. I minced an extra clove of garlic and added more salt, too. It came out pretty good. Well, this is more of a happy recession meal instead of a sad one.

Last edited by Geektastic1; 09-17-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Geektastic1 is offline   Reply With Quote