Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #51
Chef
Galloping Gourmet

Chef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized repChef has super-sized rep

Yes.. Hormel Dried Beef. I would make the mistake of salting the gravy AND not rinsing the beef. Most often, I would pour it over biscuits rather than toast. (refridgerator pre-fab in a can biscuits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektastic1 View Post
I ate a lot of this growing up:

SOS (shit on a shingle):

Hamburger
Cream of Mushroom soup
Chopped onions and celery

Fry onions, celery, and hamburger, mix in cream of mushroom soup diluted with milk, powdered milk, half milk/half water, or water (bleah). Put over noodles.

I think the original SOS is supposed to be on toast, which is the "shingle", and I think the army version was probably creamed chipped beef? Anyway, I always had it over noodles.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
We were very poor when I was growing up, but we had livestock and turkey/chickens that we bred for food, and my father tended a huge garden that he filled with root vegetables, lettuce & cabbage, corn, and a variety of berries. My father & brothers also hunted for animals to supplement our diet during the wintertime -- usually deer, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant (I loved deer but couldn't bring myself to choke down anything else). We were actually very fortunate in that we always had plenty to eat. My mother was a very good cook, and we always had a hot breakfast and huge dinners. I can't believe it now, but back then, I'd have gladly traded my steaks and chops for a hotdog or a cheap Totinos pizza or standard "kid" food. Ironic, I know
Growing up...we never got meat from the store. My parents had a huge garage and all the kids and cousins and parents got a hunting licenses and we'd have 10-12 deer hanging in our garage.

Then after they were done hanging we'd have a big butcher party where my Mom and aunts would make a big family dinner and everyone would help butcher in some way.

It seems morbid for some but really those memories are so wonderful I get a little weepy when I think back.

My favorite cheap eats is brown rice with tofu and broccoli covered in a teriyaki peanut sauce.

Take the cheapest brand of teriyaki sauce, mix with 1 c peanut butter, a dash of soy and a dash of chili paste and you'll have a giant container of sauce that you can freeze and just spoon out as much as you need as you need (it doesn't freeze hard).
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #53
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Growing up...we never got meat from the store. My parents had a huge garage and all the kids and cousins and parents got a hunting licenses and we'd have 10-12 deer hanging in our garage.

Then after they were done hanging we'd have a big butcher party where my Mom and aunts would make a big family dinner and everyone would help butcher in some way.

It seems morbid for some but really those memories are so wonderful I get a little weepy when I think back.

My favorite cheap eats is brown rice with tofu and broccoli covered in a teriyaki peanut sauce.

Take the cheapest brand of teriyaki sauce, mix with 1 c peanut butter, a dash of soy and a dash of chili paste and you'll have a giant container of sauce that you can freeze and just spoon out as much as you need as you need (it doesn't freeze hard).
That sounds interesting....what else do you put peanut sauce on?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #54
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Plain noodles, any kind of stir fry, to dip lettuce wraps or spring rolls in...really anything you want some peanutty asian sauce.

I also sometimes add rice wine vinegar but it's not the cheapest of vinegars.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #55
desertcheeseman
I like dessert cheese too

desertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdesertcheeseman can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
I never liked to eat the stuff out of hand or on a cheese sandwich, but yeah, that government commodity cheese makes really good homemade mac n' cheese. My stepmom used to make that. I've also had cheese puffs made with it plus commodity butter and powdered milk, and it wasn't bad.
I still have nightmares about government powdered milk. By the time we got it, it was incredibly chalky and stale. Since nobody wanted to drink it, we used it to thicken up cream-based soups and also to make homemade yogurt. That didn't get rid of it fast enough, though. I think my parents still have a pantry full of it back at home.
desertcheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #56
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I ate a lot of this growing up:

SOS (shit on a shingle):

Hamburger
Cream of Mushroom soup
Chopped onions and celery

Fry onions, celery, and hamburger, mix in cream of mushroom soup diluted with milk, powdered milk, half milk/half water, or water (bleah). Put over noodles.

I think the original SOS is supposed to be on toast, which is the "shingle", and I think the army version was probably creamed chipped beef? Anyway, I always had it over noodles.
Yes, it was. They used dried beef and powdered milk up from at least the beginning of the last century up until the early 70's. Both kept well and were useful in the field when resupply could be a problem. They changed from dried beef to hamburger in the early 70's.

I really like it and fix it every couple of months.

On toast is traditional, but biscuits and noodles also work. Yummy!

- Jim
Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #57
Geektastic1

Geektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Yes, it was. They used dried beef and powdered milk up from at least the beginning of the last century up until the early 70's. Both kept well and were useful in the field when resupply could be a problem. They changed from dried beef to hamburger in the early 70's.

I really like it and fix it every couple of months.
Fantastic photos, as usual, Jim! I really enjoy your food photography. Now I'm going to have to try the dried beef version of SOS sometime.
Geektastic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #58
Geektastic1

Geektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertcheeseman View Post
I still have nightmares about government powdered milk. By the time we got it, it was incredibly chalky and stale. Since nobody wanted to drink it, we used it to thicken up cream-based soups and also to make homemade yogurt. That didn't get rid of it fast enough, though. I think my parents still have a pantry full of it back at home.
Yeah, that stuff's much better for cooking than for drinking. Hard to dissolve the lumps in it, too, when you mix it up. Then again, I don't like drinking even the "good" powdered milk (Carnation, et. al) much.
Geektastic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #59
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Has anyone mentioned rice and eggs? The cheapest and quickest way to bring life to an old pot of rice hidden in the back of the fridge.
Les Toil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #60
Hathor
stolen child

Hathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot pics

Rice with butter, a banana and a glass of water. LOL
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #61
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
you can also put it on chicken and grill it....very nice

I don't really have a sad meal...but when money is tight...pasta and sauce always works for me! 2 bucks can feed me for a couple of days!

Last edited by Brandi; 09-20-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #62
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think we have a contender for the saddest recession drink. My partner just dug teabags out of the bin to reuse them. GROSS!
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #63
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm View Post
I think we have a contender for the saddest recession drink. My partner just dug teabags out of the bin to reuse them. GROSS!
Not quite the same but my mom saves her tea bags on the side of the sink (and does it at my house, too ) to reuse. Years ago, my oldest sister tossed out her saved tea bag so my Mom got angry and called my sister "extravagant" :eyeroll:

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #64
Sugar

Quote:
Not quite the same but my mom saves her tea bags on the side of the sink (and does it at my house, too ) to reuse. Years ago, my oldest sister tossed out her saved tea bag so my Mom got angry and called my sister "extravagant" :eyeroll:
1 bag can get you 2-3 6oz cups...after that...ew.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #65
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Extravagant hahaha.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #66
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Newspaper or magazine ads or articles about food - the actual paper can be eaten.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #67
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

I almost hate to say this cuz people usually make faces..but I really like a can of hominy drained (not the grits kind) sauted in some butter..onion if you have it.. and lots of fresh cracked pepper. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #68
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I got this idea a few years ago after eating the creamy chicken Ramen noodles.. sometimes I add a little milk and/or butter to my Ramen to make it more like a creamy pasta rather than a soup.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #69
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathor View Post
Rice with butter, a banana and a glass of water. LOL
I love rice w/butter!

Also rice with butter, sugar & milk ... a yummy breakfast treat.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #70
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Like others here, I was on a farm (during my tween/teen years) and we raised chicken, turkey, lamb, pig, goose, duck, and rabbit for meat. I'm kinda proud of the fact that, if need be, I know how to slaughter and dress a chicken.

We were also quite poor, and had all kinds of interesting sandwiches. Baked bean sandwiches and spaghetti sandwiches among them. My mother worked on the premise that if it could stay between 2 slices of bread, it worked for a sandwich.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #71
mybluice

mybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot pics

Creamed eggs over toast. My mom would do this when she only had a few eggs to make them stretch, but never when my dad was home. Hard boil the eggs when they are done start making a rue (butter, flour, milk) as it thickens add the eggs peeled and chopped with salt and pepper to taste.
mybluice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #72
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluice View Post
Creamed eggs over toast. My mom would do this when she only had a few eggs to make them stretch, but never when my dad was home. Hard boil the eggs when they are done start making a rue (butter, flour, milk) as it thickens add the eggs peeled and chopped with salt and pepper to taste.
That sounds really good!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #73
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
Also rice with butter, sugar & milk ... a yummy breakfast treat.
I have never known anyone to eat rice like this. We had rice for breakfast many times when I was a kid.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #74
Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlflyin View Post
I have never known anyone to eat rice like this. We had rice for breakfast many times when I was a kid.
We had rice for breakfast 3-4 times a week with milk and sugar. I personally liked english muffins with it, but that's a bit much on the carbs.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #75
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlflyin View Post
I think it's actually fairly common and I would guess that it may be moreso in the South. Many of the foods that we ate when I was growing up were influenced by my father's Southern roots (his parents were born in Mississippi): Grits, sawmill gravy with biscuits, cornbread with just about every meal, deep fried foods always seasoned with cayenne pepper and buttermilk, etc etc.

Rice with milk & butter is actually a lazy man's rice pudding I don't like the consistency of rice pudding though, so when I'm in the mood for a bowl of rice with milk/sugar I just make a big pot of regular rice and dump it all together -- will sometimes add cinammon/brown sugar and chopped bits of toasted pecans. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY. I swear, it is.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote