Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 04-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Seth Warren
May she always be True

Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Woman too thin to be an Australian

From http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...6/s1619973.htm

Quote:
The World Today - Woman denied entry to Australia based on weight

The World Today - Thursday, 20 April , 2006 12:50:00
Reporter: Matt Wordsworth
ELEANOR HALL: Now for any you struggling with your weight - take heart. It seems you can be declared too skinny to be an Australian.

That's according to British woman Helen Evans, who says she's been denied permanent residency on the grounds that she's too thin.

Mrs Evans moved from the UK to Brisbane four years ago and married her Australian boyfriend. But since then, she's struggled to pass her medical check to gain permanent residency because immigration officials say that at 37 kilograms, she's just not fat enough to become one of us.

In Brisbane, Matt Wordsworth reports.

MATT WORDSWORTH: In the home of Yorkshire puddings and Turkey Twizzlers, British woman Helen Evans has always been regarded as a little on the slim side.

At 37 kilograms she admits to being skinny, but it wasn't until she moved to Australia and applied for permanent residency that she discovered that being that thin is just un-Australian.

HELEN EVANS: Okay, we arrived here in Australia in 2002 in March and then we put our application in September and then it all went downhill from there, basically.

MATT WORDSWORTH: Why? What happened?

HELEN EVANS: They refused to grantÖ you have to clear certain things and part of it is health and they said that my BMI was too low and so they basically said that unless I put on near on 10 kilos that they were going to deport me.

MATT WORDSWORTH: How heavy were you at the time?

HELEN EVANS: 37 kilos.

MATT WORDSWORTH: That is fairly thin, but do you think that's too thin to become an Australian?

HELEN EVANS: Well if you could see me, you wouldn't think that it was. I'm not exactly big built anyway. I'm only small for my size. To physically look at me, I don't look as old as what I am.

MATT WORDSWORTH: That must have given you a surprise, coming to Australia and being told you're too thin?

HELEN EVANS: Well to be honest, everybody all along my life, that is what I have suffered with, is that people have continually said oh, you're weight causes this and your weight causes that and you know. And yet I have never considered it to be a problem, itís just everybody else seems to.

And immigration actually denied me residency on the 24th of July 2004 and then it went to the Migration Review Tribunal in the August of 2004.

MATT WORDSWORTH: So what did the tribunal say when they saw it was because of your weight that you weren't getting allowed residency?

HELEN EVANS: They then pushed it through that I've got to prove that there was nothing wrong with me, so after another $1300 dollars down the road and all that came back is that I've got gluten intolerance, which means I've got to change my diet.

MATT WORDSWORTH: So you moved to Australia to find out you had a gluten intolerance?

HELEN EVANS: Basically yeah.

MATT WORDSWORTH: Did they set down a goal for you to achieve to become an Australian resident?

HELEN EVANS: Once it was submitted that I've got a gluten intolerance then basically my doctor said that was the major cause of everything else that was going on, that they just cleared it straight through.

And once I get this letter back from police check, then Iíve got to send that back to immigration, then immigration will decide whether I meet all the other characteristics that I need to. And then when they finally decide whether I do or not then they'll grant me permanent residency. If they decide that I donít then Iíve got 28 days to leave.

MATT WORDSWORTH: So you think you're going to become a resident by the end of the year?

HELEN EVANS: Hopefully. I've then got another two years before I can actually become a citizen.

MATT WORDSWORTH: What do people say back home in the UK when you tell them why you can't become a resident?

HELEN EVANS: Everybody that I tell when I tell them I've been denied permanent residency they look at me and go why, and when I tell them I am too thin they look at me and go yeah, now tell me the real reason.

They just think it is so laughable the fact that you know, you can be too thin to become Australian.

MATT WORDSWORTH: The Immigration Department has welcomed the decision of the tribunal and says with the new medical information it can get on with processing Mrs Evans' application.

And for the record, she now weighs 43 kilograms.

ELEANOR HALL: Matt Wordsworth in Brisbane.
Seth Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
NFA
Results STILL NOT typical

NFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging inNFA makes people happy simply by logging in

In fairness, the woman in question would have been just over 81lbs. I'm also quite sure the same regulations would routinely deny residency to people who are only somewhat fat and I doubt those people would be as likely to get a press write up over it.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How awful. It's descriminatory either way. Some people are naturally skinny and some naturally fat, and that should be recognized.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
ripley

ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So if they had a high BMI they would be rejected also, despite any health tests proving they were healthy?

ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That would be correct. Unfair immigration policy is nothing new down this way. At the time, it was argued that this person would pose a burden on the health system or something.
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Zoom
Rogue

Zoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions community

43kg = 94 lbs.

Ridiculous either way. What about embryos? I bet they weigh less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo
Hurry up, or you'll become a permanent resident!
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Warren
37 kilos
Sweet sassy molassy! She's only 84 pounds?!? Unless she's four foot something, I'd be worried too.

Thankful he can only count some of his ribs,
--Littleghost
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I went through this kind of crap when I was younger....the school nurse always sent notes home to my mom, saying I was "underweight" and she needed to take me to the doctor.

SOME people are just NATURALLY thin and SOME people are just NATURALLY fat!
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
EtobicokeFA
Proud FA

EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

While I haven't heard of a person being refused because they were too thin, but it's not surprising.

And, this is not the first time, I heard of country doing it, in the name of protecting their health care system.

"Health is not a body weight, it's a measure of fitness."
EtobicokeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I tried to find an old news article about it but...I recall a few years ago,after a devastating earthquake, some movie stars were in Canada for a film festival.

Some of the British ones went to the Red Cross in Canada to donate blood, and were turned away for being too thin.
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote