Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Quakers decide to marry same sex couples..

(repost - cos I think it got lost at the bottom of the Gay Marriage thread)

Well apparently they've been giving it a LOT of thought.. for 22 YEARS!
(They work stuff out in prayer/meditation meetings and require consensus... so .... not a quick process...)
And bless them* - the Quakers are now - as of start of Aug '09 the first and ?only? big Xtian church to offer actual churchy marriage - not "marriage" - the real deal no ifs or buts.. to same sex couples!

Now that =/= law.. But as far as the Quakers are concerned it's God&love first and the law can follow behind as and when.. (in UK legal rights are taken care of with a Civil Partnership as I understand it)

I guess if you're Xtian and actually wanted a spiritual type wedding this is good news?? Certainly for the gay Quakers! (there's a fair few apparently)...

I read all this on a poster on the side of local Quaker meeting house - apparently the Guardian reported on it...

*even as an atheist, Tauist, Zen, Discordian I've a soft spot for the Quakers-they actually PRACTICE peace&love! and they gave us great chocolate!! (Rowntrees.. Now sadly taken over by evil Nestle)
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

Oh, thanks for reposting, I did indeed miss it the first time! That is awesome, it makes me very happy Yay Quakers!
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
fatdesire

fatdesire has said some nice things
Default Quakers and (Same sex) Marriage

I have two wonderful friends, both male, that were married in the Society of Friends (the Quakers) here in the states, they are about to have their sixth anniversary.
In the USA, it has been left to each individual state to determine if same sex couples can `legally' be in a relationship. Some states have done nothing pro or anti, some states have made ANY relationship of a same sex nature illegal (scary, will they raid my home?), some states have legalized it.
One of the two in this couple was an Episcopal (Church of England in US) priest before coming out and leaving the Church. His need for a relationship with God sent him to join the Quakers.
Quakers do not have a professionaly trained clergy hierachy. God gave you a brain to understand things with, and there is no reason you cant worship God as you understand Him through his word (the Bible.) Each local Quaker meeting house is governed by several committees, attending to different issues in the church.
Once he found someone to share his life with, he went to the local Church committee, armed with a theology degree, to ask why a man to man union would not be allowed. The Bible nearly always assumes marriage is man to woman, but there are few places that a man to man (or woman to woman) relationship is banned (Liviticus aside, many biblical scholars now beleive that passage is a warning not to masterbate in the fields, a man's `seed' will not help the crops, and God doesnt want to see that. Hitites and Babalonians used to do this as a agricultural fertility pratice.)
After several years of debate with the local committee, and other higher church committees, the official word from the Quakers was something along the lines of `We are not really happy,but we think you may be right, a man may marry a man, and not be in completeviolation of Gods laws and love.
The couple started planning a wedding in the Quaker church, even though they knew it would not be legally recognized. Just about as all plans were in place, The Governor of that state they live in tried to ram through a very strict `Definition of Marriage' law, in an attempt to make marriage only male to female. The State Legislature passed it with alot of arguing, and much public dismay. The State Courts examined the law, finding it to be so poorly conceived and written, nullified the law, and ordered all state and county officials to issue marriage certificates to ANYONE, until the law could be rewritten.
My friends were in line to get their State government issued marriage license immediately, and paper work completed in time for them to be married in the church, and recognized by the government. A lovely solemn ceremony in the meeting house on the back of Harvard Universities campus, across the street from the poet Longfellow's house.
The are about the best married couple I know, even among the male/female couples. Perfect, no, but they work every day to keep their relationship strong.
fatdesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That's awesome! It's such a huge step in terms of eroding the 'legitimacy' of intolerance from the argument of traditional religion.
The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. The test of a first rate wallpaper is to wipe clean easily when the previous fails.
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

That's very cool!
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote