Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Fat.n.sassy
CelebratingNeurodiversity

Fat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Lack of BBW Haircut/Hairstyle books at salons

For a few years now when I've been to a salon (read beauty parlor and my late 40s are showing through) Anyway...there are always 'look books' on the tables showing hairstyles and haircuts. In the past decade I've seen precisely 1 with a plus sized lady sandwiched in the pages! It's not that I begrudge thins their 'look books', but, dang! There should be a FEW for us too!

So...who's with me & how do we change this egregious error! LOL!
Fat.n.sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
comaseason
Housewares

comaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging in

I've been wanting to get my hair cut for a while but have never been able to quite commit - my hair has been varying lengths of long for over 20 years. I used a super cool website to "try on" different hair styles.

You just upload a photo follow the instructions and bam! Different colors, different lengths, different styles - it's all there. Plus it, to me, has the added benefit of grading the level of maintenance for each style. When I used it, it cost I think 14.95 for 6 months.

It also showed me that I could get a shorter haircut and not look like a "hi-look-at-my-huge-round-face-NO-LOOK-AT-IT-YOU-CAN'T-AVOID-IT-doesn't-this-haircut-bring-out-the-roundness-in-an-oh-so-unappealing-way" type of girl.

Now if I would just go get it done....ahhh procrastination.

http://www.thehairstyler.com/

http://comaseason.deviantart.com/
comaseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
StarWitness
part square, part drape

StarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Agreed. It's difficult to find advice/inspiration for a good haircut when you're a fat chick-- and when you do, it's usually the same advice (eg. "Long hair thins out your face!").

I'm not a style maven by any means; I've been getting variations on an inverted bob (short in the back, tapering to long in the front) since high school. It's a versatile cut, and I think it works well with my face shape and hair type.

When I need inspiration, I usually look though the fatshionista community on Livejournal, or go to Barnes and Noble and flip through the hair magazines-- they don't use plus-size models either, but at least there's more photos to look at.

I prefer to show up at the salon armed with pictures I've found beforehand. When you get a cut you like, take a photo ASAP! so you can show it to your stylist next time.

I've always been a guy with a sweet tooth, and that girl's just like a king-size candy bar...
--Sleater-Kinney
StarWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is honestly something I've never thought about. I've always liked to keep my hair natural, meaning no relaxers. It just does what it does and I work with that. I wore braids, twists, afro puffs, bald, big afros, little afros, and I've had it hot combed and pressed, but I've never had a weave or anything like that, except for extentions once in high school and I hated it. Never did it again. Plus I could never afford to get my hair done every week or every other week, so I just let it be and never spent too much time in a hair salon.

Because of the texture of my hair it breaks once it hits my shoulders so I've never had my natural hair past my shoulders. I started locks in februrary and it's starting to grow finally and since it can take a couple of years for dread locks to mature it's going to be a while before it's long. What's great about locks is I don't have to think about my hair too much for now. It's low maintenance for me, and that is the most important thing to me really.

FNS, I'd say it would help to know what works for you. Maybe draw a round face and draw hairstyles around it, so you can get an idea about what shapes work for you....
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't think I've ever given one thought about the size of the models in hair salon style books. I usually have my own ideas about what I want or come with my own pics from magazines knowing that I'm going to look different with this hairstyle than whatever 100 pound model or actress is pictured. What I'd like to find are salons that have wider or armless shampoo station chairs, so I can stand up from one with out taking it with me! These ALWAYS seem to be so narrow and the arms are in no way forgiving to my wide behind. Salon chairs are a crap shoot. I either send my husband in for an appointment telling him to make note of the roominess of the chairs for me or ask local bbws where they go.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Never really thought about this either. I've seen fat chicks rock bald, low cut fades, medium length and other styles that look great. I have had natural hair years now and it never occured to me to look for a style that would suit my fat face. I wear my look, my look doesn't wear me. In other words, I really think as long as you are comfy and like the way you look that's kinda what matters. Do you!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just got a conk.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Fat.n.sassy
CelebratingNeurodiversity

Fat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
I just got a conk.
What's a conk?
Fat.n.sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for that Engrish-y reading 'bot post, Joanie, if only b/c it allowed me to go back and see my fucking hysterical post about getting a 'conk.' I'd forgotten that and now, I want to go get another conk!
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I never got that whole "long hair thins you out" stuff from anyone. In fact, almost everyone has said, after meeting me and getting to chat to me, that long hair is not suited for me. And I found my face looked at its best and most appealing with the short hair being higher on top.

I love my short hair. I find there is so much more you can do with short hair compared to long hair. And I've experienced both, so it's not a "well you have nothing but... so you're biased" because that's not the case.
Plus, I do freelance hairstyling.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
GlassDaemon

GlassDaemon does more than just post hot picsGlassDaemon does more than just post hot picsGlassDaemon does more than just post hot pics

This is odd to me because I was always under the impression that your hair framed your face not your body. Even if we take away the extra pudginess or double chins or various other details plus size ladies have there are still a dozen different facial shapes, from the sweetheart, to the oval, to the round (yes it appears on thin girls too though not as often). Ultimately, looking at the books is almost useless unless you can find someone with your exact facial structure which I can almost guarantee isn't going to happen. There are "universal" styles, that look relatively good on anyone, but my suggestion is to explore, it grows back, so try different styles and see what you like.

The books can give you very basic ideas, but whether the model is thin or not isn't going to help in determining what looks good on you as an individual. I mean, even if you have the facial structure that matches one, your eyebrows might be too thick/thin to make it look like it did on that chick. Of course there's also the fact that the girls in those books had their hair professionally done, and I dunno about the rest of you but the day I leave the salon is the best my hair ever looks and I can never recreate that lol.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've never really thought about this either, although I very rarely look in those books anyway.. I haven't done more than a trim on my hair in almost five years.. I'm weirdly obsessive about keeping my hair as long as possible. Really though n't think body size necessarily correlates to what hairstyle looks the best on you. I think it has more to do with your overall sense of style, and the shape of your face. Although I honestly tend to do whatever I like style-wise (hair, makeup, clothes), even if it isn't whats "supposed" to look good on me.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Leesa

Leesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Exclamation Support the local beauty industry

Cut that shit! Long scraggily hair went out in the 70's.
(If you live in the sticks, disregard this message. )
Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I've never really thought about this either, although I very rarely look in those books anyway.. I haven't done more than a trim on my hair in almost five years.. I'm weirdly obsessive about keeping my hair as long as possible. Really though n't think body size necessarily correlates to what hairstyle looks the best on you. I think it has more to do with your overall sense of style, and the shape of your face. Although I honestly tend to do whatever I like style-wise (hair, makeup, clothes), even if it isn't whats "supposed" to look good on me.
That was supposed to be "Really though I don't think".. too late to edit.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

It really does annoy me that there is a lack of BBW hairstyles available in mags etc. Thankfully I can cut my own hair so I just make myself look how I want!

A lot of hairdressers can't even cope with how round a face can be and make it look HORRIFIC.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't really think there are 'bbw hairstyles' because bbws have all different size/shape faces, necks, cheekbones, etc. I go by the shape of my face and the texture of my hair. For years I used to wonder why a style didn't work for me and I realized it was because almost all the models had thick hair (of course--they're hair models) and I have very fine hair so I'd never have heavy bangs/fringe etc. When I figured out what worked, i stuck with it. Books only give you a basic idea regardless of whether you're fat or thin.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Cut that shit! Long scraggily hair went out in the 70's.
(If you live in the sticks, disregard this message. )
Wait, was this to me? haha
Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
Kibeth
Huzzah!

Kibeth can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKibeth can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKibeth can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Whatever haircut suits you best. Long and short hair is beautiful. I currently have in between hair with across the forehead bangs. c: I love sideswept bangs.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Maybe we should have a new thread where us fat women can post pics of our past/current hairstyles we have liked? Then it can be a resource when we are thinking about new ones? We can include info about the texture/thickness of our hair, too, if that helps. I remember emailing a Dims member a year or so ago to get info about a hairstyle of hers I saw in a picture, so I could copy it.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
GlassDaemon

GlassDaemon does more than just post hot picsGlassDaemon does more than just post hot picsGlassDaemon does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
Maybe we should have a new thread where us fat women can post pics of our past/current hairstyles we have liked? Then it can be a resource when we are thinking about new ones? We can include info about the texture/thickness of our hair, too, if that helps. I remember emailing a Dims member a year or so ago to get info about a hairstyle of hers I saw in a picture, so I could copy it.
I like this idea! Cept I never take pictures of myself. lol But wasn't there a thread already where people posted their hairstyles/colors? What happened to that.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
That's a great idea!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassDaemon View Post
I like this idea! Cept I never take pictures of myself. lol But wasn't there a thread already where people posted their hairstyles/colors? What happened to that.
Yes - there's a general "HAIR" thread, but it has everything from dying hair to curling, etc. I'm thinking maybe one where we focus just on cuts/styles, and also give our hair info (texture, etc)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
That's a great idea!
Thanks! Feel free to start it if you want, otherwise I will when I get some more time to sort through pics and whatnot.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
I like this idea!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
Leesa

Leesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Cool My opinion, not fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
Wait, was this to me? haha
Oh God, NO. It is just my preference for hairstyles on women (no matter her size).
Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

I do look at hairstyle magazines and pictures online if I want to try something new, but I'll also tear out or print pictures I like and then ask my stylist what he thinks and whether they would work for my face. I adore him and he's not afraid to be honest.

I had an appointment today and intended to go in for a trim and to have my fringe cut across again, but picked up a magazine and ended up walking out with a super short cut. I like it, but I'm not used to it yet! I'm hoping it will look as good when I do it myself on Monday morning.

My theory on hair has always been the same: it grows back. Why not try something fun and new and take the chance you'll love it?
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote