Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

View Poll Results: Are hamburgers sandwiches?
Yes 5 45.45%
No 4 36.36%
Sometimes/It's Complicated 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Is a hamburger a sandwich?

What is the difference between a burger and a sandwich? Personally I think burgers exist as a subset within the sandwich category, but I'm not sure exactly at what point something is no longer a burger and is "just" a sandwich. I mean strictly speaking a hamburger is ground beef patty on a bun, but what about ground beef patties on regular bread? Ground beef that isn't formed into a party (is a sloppy Joe a burger)? Unground beef?
What about other types of meat/non-meat proteins (are turkey burgers, veggie burgers, etc true burgers or nah)?
Old 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I would have to sample each one to make an intelligent assessment.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

A burger is never a sandwich.

A sandwich are two slices of bread enclosing something cold - cold cuts of meat, cheese, vegetables, lettuce.
If it is heated - then you have toast.
Look into 18th century English culinary history.

With the burger, the essence is the meat formed into a patty - or these days also some vegetarian preparation - and grilled to eat. That it is commonly stuffed between 2 buns in the US as fast food is irrelevant to it being called a burger.
A burger - with sauce & toppings - can also be eaten without the bun, like a side of fries, vegetables or salad. It remains a burger.

Why exactly are you trying to subsume burgers under sandwiches???
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post

A sandwich are two slices of bread enclosing something cold - cold cuts of meat, cheese, vegetables, lettuce.
What about grilled cheese sandwiches? Or a BLT where the bacon is still hot?
Or a hot spam sandwich? Or a warm fried egg sandwich? I don't think all sandwiches have to be cold.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
squeezablysoft

Quote:
With the burger, the essence is the meat formed into a patty - or these days also some vegetarian preparation - and grilled to eat. That it is commonly stuffed between 2 buns in the US as fast food is irrelevant to it being called a burger.
A burger - with sauce & toppings - can also be eaten without the bun, like a side of fries, vegetables or salad. It remains a burger.
This seems logical, I have seen the meat patty by itself without bread called a hamburger. So the type of bread used (or lack thereof) isn't important to the identity of a hamburger in the broader sense (as opposed to the very narrow sense which only includes a ground beef patty on a bun). And it makes sense that any meat or meat substitute in patty form is more burgerlike than something like a sloppy Joe that has ground beef, possibly even on a bun, but is not in patty form.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Thumbs up

Quote:

Look into 18th century English culinary history.

Why exactly are you trying to subsume burgers under sandwiches???
Totally agree, a burger is definitely not a sandwich!
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The hamburger: a case of convergent evolution?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have seen places that call it a 'hamburger sandwich' (mostly older places), or list burgers in the 'sandwich' section of the menu (mostly newer faux-retro pubs). So it certainly is not uncommon here for it to be classified that way.

So I went to dictionaries. For sandwich:

Mirriam-Webster:
1 a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

Oxford:
1An item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal.

and for 'hamburger'

Mirriam-Webster:
1 a : ground beef
b : a patty of ground beef
2 : a sandwich consisting of a patty of hamburger in a split typically round bun

Oxford:
1A flat round cake of minced beef, fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll garnished with various condiments.

So .... Mirriam-Webster allows that a hamburger may be a sandwich (it is open to a sandwich being on a roll rather than between slices of bread, and outright calls a hamburger a sandwich. Oxford doesn't prohibit it, but generally I'd read the Oxford definition to say no, a hamburger is not a sandwich (bun rather than bread, not a light meal generally)

Which suggests that the view of a hamburger being a sandwich may be more of a north american thing (or at least in enough parts of NA to be picked up by Mirriam-Webster)?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
fuelingfire

fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hold on now! You can go to Jimmy Johns and order a sandwich that is wrapped with lettuce rather than put in bread. I don't remember what the term is that they use, but it's not called a wrap.

The term hamburger can be used by a butcher for meat. But if someone asks you, if you want a hamburger/burger, aren't you assuming that you are getting it on bread?

The meaning of words change over time depending on how society uses them.

Where does an open-faced sandwich fit into this?

I feel like I just read a bunch of responses from the Soapbox!

Last edited by fuelingfire; 12-04-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarity
fuelingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You think that's bad? Some factions now classify pizza a sandwich.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Being from Ohio a hamburger is a sandwich
in fact everywhere i go here a hamburger is a sandwich between two buns and it is not just fixed in town we fix them at home also and put lettuce tomato and other stuff on it
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
squeezablysoft

By some definitions, lettuce wraps, toast, and pizza could all be considered sandwiches. I suppose even nachos could be considered a sandwich with the chips subbing for bread. Seriously, is this even real life rn?
Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
fuelingfire

fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I went to Urban Dictionary for more answers. Here are the top two definitions.

The first was, "a food commonly used by men to oppress women."

The second was, "Hobo currency."

I know, that didn't really help.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
Kristal

Kristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging in

Is a hamburger without a bun still a hamburger???
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
I'm glad to see there's a Zen master* on the thread...

*Is there such a thing as a Zen mistress? Or do I not want to go there?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #16
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Less Zen, more Venn

I'd vote that a hamburger is most often a sandwich, when it's not a lettuce wrap (or a "ground steak", a Salisbury Steak, or hamburger steak).

But then there's that pesky hot dog and similar link based meats.
Attached Images
File Type: png Venn_of_sandwiches_and_similar.png (104.6 KB, 27 views)
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 AM   #17
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
Yes it is.
A hamburger is a ground beef patty - and it's name and essence do not hinge on it being stuffed between 2 buns or slices of bread.
Just as a hot dog remains a hot dog - no matter whether you eat it in a bun or with potato salad, even though in the latter case you could be more specific and call it a wiener or frankfurter, depending on style.

In its original recipe and meaning - a sandwich is always cold. So correctly it is not a grilled cheese sandwich - but a grilled cheese double toast.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
In its original recipe and meaning - a sandwich is always cold.
So a sandwich (made with cold cuts and various veggies) treated with a heated panini press stops being a sandwich?

No, wait - "panini" is generally accepted as Italian for "sandwich". (Actually "bread roll". Which opens up the interesting possibility that a "hamburger" is actually a panini due to the classic hamburger bun being a bread roll.) And there are reports of heated sandwiches being enjoyed in 16th Century Italy which predates the cold offering attributed to the Earl of Sandwich in the 18th Century. So which one is really the original, the heated or the cold?

I don't believe it's possible to achieve the linguistic division you seek unless one ignores sandwich-like contributions outside those of Britannia and overall commoditization and drift of language by us plebes.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #19
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
In its original recipe and meaning - a sandwich is always cold. So correctly it is not a grilled cheese sandwich - but a grilled cheese double toast.
eww, a cold hamburger or grilled cheese would not be tasty at all
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote