Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Warm My Globes!

global warming my patootie! its cold outside across the entire country. its going to snow down here in atlanta. people are bundling up the oranges in florida. keeping warm as a fat girl has special challenges. what do you do to keep warm? more importantly how do you manage not breaking your booty on the slippery ice. i feel like hibernating but i can't. i should be ashamed because the little bit of cold and snow we'll experience down here this winter is nothing compared to the winter i spent in Erie PA but i'm still whimpering. please share your tips here.

so far i'm staying in a lot,wearing socks which i almost never do and wearing multiple sweaters etc.. because i hate coats with a passion. they are so hard to move my arms in. if it ices up my A plan is to stay inside until it melts since nearly everything shuts down here anyway. we do have a few spoiler ex yanks at work who drive in anyway. and the rest of us who've lived up north before pretend that we've forgotten how to drive on it.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I had to laugh at this! LOL

I don't get cold very often, even in the cold weather. Hot chocolate usually does the trick for me.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cold is an understatement. I hate it. I hate wearing coats too cause my arms never quite fit in them. I have two goose down coats that I hardly wear for that reason. Instead I bought a men's leather bomber jacket which has very roomy arms and I can actually wear several layers under it. It has turned out to be warmer than my goose down coats. The only problem with it is that it doesn't cover my butt so I have to make sure to wear something that will keep my butt warm. Literally. Still haven't figured that out yet...

Another thing I did is rather than search high and low for a pair of leg warmers that would fit my calf, I learned to knit specifically so I could make myself a pair of leg warmers, and I'm glad I did cause they are so warm I don't have to wear a pair of tights under my jeans. I've gotten a lot of use out of them. I liked knitting/crocheting so much I decided to make a hat, a scarf, and mittens to go with the leg warmers. I'll probably finish the scarf by next winter. LOL

As for getting around when it's icy out; the people here do a good job of keeping the sidewalks clear when it snows, but even so, I just walk slower than I usually do and use an umberalla for extra support if I need it. And when the temperature dips below freezing I just don't go out unless I have to.

Last edited by olwen; 01-04-2010 at 07:21 PM.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
I had to laugh at this! LOL

I don't get cold very often, even in the cold weather. Hot chocolate usually does the trick for me.
You must have super heating powers. How can I get me some of that? LOL
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
i want some too! lucky thing! my fat just seems to catch and hold the cold til i'm freezing to death. i have to take a long hot shower or hot bath to keep my teeth from chattering.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not a coat fan either so I wear layers with a fleece vest over the top except when it's really cold. Inside I usually have wool slipper socks on.

I have some Nordic walking poles (they look like ski poles but they're for exercise walking) and this year I got these tips to add on the ends for a little extra stability when it ices.

Last edited by rainyday; 06-22-2010 at 10:39 PM.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I was born with them. Strangely enough, all of my sisters and I rarely get cold. We are super heated, our Grandmother was the same way. It's great in the winter but when summer rolls around it is misery. Talk about your hot mess.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Partly, I get used to being a little cold, but my trick is layering sweater/ jacket/ heavy coat. I think I should only need the heavy coat itself today. We're supposed to have a balmy high temp of almost 20 degrees by 3 this afternoon. Hot tea, coffee and chocolate are very useful.

I will never be comfortable walking on ice. I tell people I've become a champion "duck-walker" just to keep upright. It's not fashionable, but I always make sure I have a good pair of winter boots, with actual traction soles. None of this business with the smooth soles and spike heels for me

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
I will never be comfortable walking on ice. I tell people I've become a champion "duck-walker" just to keep upright. It's not fashionable, but I always make sure I have a good pair of winter boots, with actual traction soles. None of this business with the smooth soles and spike heels for me
Fellow duck-walker here. I'm also a wall, car, bush, tree, mailbox-gripper. If I can hold on to it while walking on ice I will. Car alarms and respecting tree branches be damned.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Some other Dim women have recommended Yaktrax. (Here and here.) I bought some for a relative who said they were fantastic at gripping on ice.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh man. I feel for you guys. I live in a cold weather climate but we're used to it here. We have all kinds of things to keep us warm, like heated garages and remote starts for our vehicles.

My advice? Be sure to dress in layers, stay dry, and take off your coat when you're inside. Oh and don't forget gloves and a hat; you lose a lot of heat through your head and you'll feel warmer if your hands are warm. I have several pairs of cheap-oh knitted gloves that I buy every year and have them in the pocket of every coat, a couple pairs in my car, and a pair by the door. That way I'm never without at least one pair, and when it's very cold they layer up nicely.

I hope you guys get warmer weather soon!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It has gotten down to 15 degrees some nights.....if you DON'T factor in windchill on top of that. (We haven't had that kind of cold around here in a while).
I keep seeing people wearing shorts.....and slip on shoes with no socks. No kidding........for weeks now. They wear these get ups with coats......

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
It has gotten down to 15 degrees some nights.....if you DON'T factor in windchill on top of that. (We haven't had that kind of cold around here in a while).
I keep seeing people wearing shorts.....and slip on shoes with no socks. No kidding........for weeks now. They wear these get ups with coats......
i don't think i'll be trying that hehe
Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Some other Dim women have recommended Yaktrax. (Here and here.) I bought some for a relative who said they were fantastic at gripping on ice.
LOL!! The company I work for sells these. In fact, I wrote up a cover letter to send to our Canadian customers with an email promotion. I've come so close to buying myself a pair, but haven't done it yet

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote