Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Help me out here

Hey all,

So, I find in at least one way I'm a stereotypical queer woman of another era. When it comes to music, I seem locked in some bomb shelter where we only listen to female singer songwriters and wear our sensible shoes whilst discussing macrame and macrobiotics.

I need a recommendation for one song, only one, that I can go and request if I'm somewhere that music is playing, that will be queer lady-centric, appealing to me, and to the other guests, who may or may not be queer, and isn't just gay male club music. Can you do it? Can you find something catchy, current, and with a beat you can dance to, but with the soul of a guitar strumming lass from a Seven Sisters school?

I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks muchly,
Butch
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How about “Dead Disco” by Metric? Not their biggest success, but maybe their best 'dance floor' song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEsr5Mm3JfE . (for that matter, most of Metric’s stuff is pretty danceable I think….you could certainly dance to "Gimme Sympathy," although it might be too mellow to carry well in a large room)

ETA: just noticed that Dead Disco was from 2003 !?! Could it really be that long...... For more recent stuff from Metric, "Sick Muse" is pretty danceable too, and is from 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEz8N...eature=channel

Last edited by Tad; 01-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is kind of a classic, but what about "Lady Marmalade" from Moulin Rouge?

(alternately known as "Voulez Vous Couchez Avec Moie")
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ah....I wish I could help you, but all the shit I listen to would make gay male clubgoers say, "I'll sit this one out - it's too gay."
Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Hey all,

So, I find in at least one way I'm a stereotypical queer woman of another era. When it comes to music, I seem locked in some bomb shelter where we only listen to female singer songwriters and wear our sensible shoes whilst discussing macrame and macrobiotics.
Lol! you totally remind me of that interview Beth Ditto did on Radio 1 where she started talking about west coast lesbians riding bicycles to the coast to stay in yurts and eat nutritional yeast!

(That was the same interview where she got the dj to go with her and float maltesers in all the Radio 1 loos....)

Quote:
I need a recommendation for one song, only one, that I can go and request if I'm somewhere that music is playing, that will be queer lady-centric, appealing to me, and to the other guests, who may or may not be queer, and isn't just gay male club music. Can you do it? Can you find something catchy, current, and with a beat you can dance to, but with the soul of a guitar strumming lass from a Seven Sisters school?

I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks muchly,
Butch
Pretty much anything by the Gossip - "Standing in the Way of Control" for a start! "Coal to Diamonds" is also awesome but slower & not so danceable... Yes, I <3 Beth Ditto...
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well Jules it's hardly mainstream but I love this: http://righteousmothers.com/pages/RMHoneymoonVideo.html

I've been a fan of the Righteous Mothers for many years, way before their "Old, Fat Naked Ladies for Peace" hit. Got their Biggest Hits CD for Xmas and also recommend Big Legged Woman although I can't find a sample for you. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for the responses, they're all great.