Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Arrow 2010 Foodie New Year's Resolutions!

Last year my NY resolution was to learn to be a better cook. This was the worst.. year.. ever in terms of my cooking. I found these great recipes online and tried whole heartedly to replicate them and had tepid results. The foods have generally been so lackluster I nearly began to hate food altogether. FAIL.

This year my resolution is to buy some coffee carafes to take with me to work. For a little over a year I've been making my coffee at home and using disposable cups with a lid. This is my effort to clean up my act, cut down on waste and go green. We'll see how that goes, I hate washing extra dishes.

Any food resoltutions here?

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Totally revamp our eating.We spent most of the year enjoying too much fast food. Our tired bloated bodies said that's enough. So we are looking for and preparing healthier, satisfying dishes and cutting way back on processed foods.
We spent 70 on produce this week. It is taking some adjusting but so far so good. Last night we had lettuce wedges,and roasted chicken breasts. Very nice meal.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

I plan on starting a new diet called "The Swank Diet" that was created for people with Multiple Sclerosis to treat its symptoms and to reduce nerve inflamation. I don't have MS but I have bursitis, and I want to experiment to see if this reduces the flair ups I get. I've been traveling a bit for work and long drives (either because of how I'm holding my leg out, or because it's not moving) can be painful.

Depending on what happens, I'll probably post about it on the health board because it may be valuable for others.

The other thing I need to deal with, dietarily, is my borderline hypoglycemia. I've been tending to not eat early in the day and this is a spectacularly bad idea for people with this condition. I need to work on awareness of when where my blood sugar is and keep it stable.

Overall, focus on eating to live and live WELL.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Off the top of my head:

1. Buy some new cookware and bakeware - I don't need much, but I'm missing a few key pieces that would make life easier and encourage me to cook more.

2. Actually stop the car and shop, rather than pass every farmer's market or fresh produce stand thinking someday we should check them out.

3. Drink more wine - just seems like it will improve my general well being.

4. Try some new restaurants. We're in a new city in a different part of the country with many culinary adventures available within a short distance drive.

5. Eat more vegetables (obligatory to throw that one in).

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
comaseason
Housewares

comaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging incomaseason makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post
I've been tending to not eat early in the day and this is a spectacularly bad idea for people with this condition. I need to work on awareness of when where my blood sugar is and keep it stable.

Overall, focus on eating to live and live WELL.
I'm in the same boat. I have a really hard time eating in the morning, and from everything I know about keeping energy levels and blood sugar stable throughout the day say you have to eat in the morning. So I'm starting out slow with 12oz of V8 within 1 hour of waking up. My stomach still protests but I'm pushing through it.

I'm trying to cook "real" food for myself more. It's something that I don't really ever take the time to do. I will not serve myself cheese and crackers or cereal for dinner every night of the week. I've managed to cook for myself about 2 out of 7 days. So I'm pretty proud of that, hopefully I can ramp it up to at least 4 out of 7.

I want to try more cheeses this year. I've decided to try a new cheese every 2 weeks. Good times!

http://comaseason.deviantart.com/
comaseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Last year my NY resolution was to learn to be a better cook. This was the worst.. year.. ever in terms of my cooking. I found these great recipes online and tried whole heartedly to replicate them and had tepid results. The foods have generally been so lackluster I nearly began to hate food altogether. FAIL.

This year my resolution is to buy some coffee carafes to take with me to work. For a little over a year I've been making my coffee at home and using disposable cups with a lid. This is my effort to clean up my act, cut down on waste and go green. We'll see how that goes, I hate washing extra dishes.

Any food resoltutions here?
Lilly,

Are you looking for a certain size of carafe? It sounds like you are basically looking for a good travel mug? If so, can I recommend this one?

I bought it before Christmas and love it. It seals tight, has a safety latch and more importantly keeps the tea/coffee hot for a really long time. I make tea at 4am and it is still hot at 7am.

Last edited by ValentineBBW; 01-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaseason View Post
I'm in the same boat. I have a really hard time eating in the morning, and from everything I know about keeping energy levels and blood sugar stable throughout the day say you have to eat in the morning. So I'm starting out slow with 12oz of V8 within 1 hour of waking up. My stomach still protests but I'm pushing through it.
Oh the V8 is a great idea! Thank you.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

1)Drink more tea(white, green and black)
2) Experiment with vegetables I've never tried before
3) Learn one new recipe each week.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Every year I always make a resolution to try and eat better. This year is no different. Let's hope I actually stick to it better this year than years past.
My other food resolutions? Drink more tea and try more new recipes.

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW View Post
Lilly,

Are you looking for a certain size of carafe? It sounds like you are basically looking for a good travel mug? If so, can I recommend this one?

I bought it before Christmas and love it. It seals tight, has a safety latch and more importantly keeps the tea/coffee hot for a really long time. I make tea at 4am and it is still hot at 7am.
Thanks for that Valentine! I was looking at that one the other day. Unfortunately there are some design issues that make it ergonomically unsuitable for the way I commute. I don't actually want the drink to stay that hot, I'd like it to cool down some so I can actually sip the mixture along the commute. The coffee is too piping hot off the maker. Plus the design of the thermos will cause it to slip out of the holster that I carry. I need something with a graduated shape design, not straight up and down. Though I'm looking at a larger model that I can use to carry soups and stews to work for lunch! That would be cool. For coffee though I'm looking at this one. Someone in my singing group has one and I really liked the design.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK, my new years resolution is.....to think less about food.

Seriously. It's a problem. I love good food, but I have realized that it really takes up too much of my time & energy. There's a time and a place to be focused on making the best *whatever*, but I need to readjust my mindset and realize that not every meal has to be a culinary adventure. Which is not to say that I'm going to start eating crap...it's just that my day-to- day menus are going to be simpler, and require less pre-planning, and shopping, and working in general to prepare.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
PhatChk

PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PhatChk has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My New Years Foodie resolution is to buy a better coffee machine, dedicate my self to my food blog, eat more at non chain restaurant and try more weird food.

Eats and Seats :eat2:NEW ENTRY
I am looking for writers to contribute to the blog.
Ask me anything http://formspring.me/LadyGrn
PhatChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Thanks for that Valentine! I was looking at that one the other day. Unfortunately there are some design issues that make it ergonomically unsuitable for the way I commute. I don't actually want the drink to stay that hot, I'd like it to cool down some so I can actually sip the mixture along the commute. The coffee is too piping hot off the maker. Plus the design of the thermos will cause it to slip out of the holster that I carry. I need something with a graduated shape design, not straight up and down. Though I'm looking at a larger model that I can use to carry soups and stews to work for lunch! That would be cool. For coffee though I'm looking at this one. Someone in my singing group has one and I really liked the design.
No worries. I completely understand about needing certain ergonomics.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm trying to cook more. I already cook a fair amount, but I really want to try to do it four nights a week, maybe five. Not just stuff from a box, you know?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

1. Eat breakfast - I am determined to break my habit of not eating until mid afternoon and then binging, and then not eating again until the next afternoon. ENOUGH!

2. Cook. I can cook, I just don't tend to see cooking a meal (for one!) as a productive use of time. But I must, and I will!!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Keep up with my food blog...my goal with is to document my cooking experiences...using recipes and creating my own. So far I have 2 of my own creations on it. You can find it here.

Try 1 new recipe a week.

Continue to learn how to bake. My next step is to learn how to make my own pie crust.

Last, but not least. Learn how to make tamales. I literally go through about 3 dozen in a week. I eat them sometimes three times a day. It's getting to be an expensive habit..lol

Oh..forgot one more. Find more veggie recipes that Rob will eat. That man is picky, picky and he needs more veggies in his diet..LOL
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
mybluice

mybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot pics

After having to help my son, Nick, who is a Cub Scout make a Food Guide Pyramid I realized we are lacking on eating a well rounded meal or meals. So, this year I am making sure we include at least the minimum recommended servings from the different food groups.

Also, I am replacing the cheap kitchen things with nicer, higher end items.
mybluice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
cnk2cav

cnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot pics

After hearing/reading somewhere that we average 1-2 servings of fruits and veggies a day (with the majority of that coming from ketchup) one of my goals is to consume at least 5 servings 3+ days/wk, and the other is to make as much of my own food as possible, eating out no more than once (maybe twice) a week.
cnk2cav is offline   Reply With Quote