Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
ZainTheInsane

ZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 club

Currently, 'Oddest Jobs' by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden (and various other authors).
ZainTheInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #27
the_captain
Yabba Dabba Doo!

the_captain does more than just post hot picsthe_captain does more than just post hot picsthe_captain does more than just post hot pics

Last Chance Millionaire by Douglas Andrew. Some of what he says is way off base, IMHO, but I'm hoping to find some nuggets of wisdom in there!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Attempting "Moby Dick" by Melville for the 3rd time.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #29
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox, and The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series)

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
BigIzzy

BigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot pics

Ford County(collection of short stories) by John Grisham
BigIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
BigIzzy

BigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot picsBigIzzy does more than just post hot pics

Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox, [/QUOTE]

I've heard some great things about that book! Not to mention that I have heaps of respect for the guy for how he's bravely faced and stood up for Parkinson's disease! I've had several members of my family who suffered from the disease.
BigIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #32
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Step on a Crack- James Patterson
I just finished this, I hadn't ever read a Patterson book before, but you can bet I will be looking for more of his books in the future. I really enjoyed this.

Currently, after seeing the current Sherlock Holmes movie (RDJ - nom) I thought it would be a good idea to read the original books. Really good stories. The movie was good, but the books are much more interesting.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIzzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyJoy
Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox,
I've heard some great things about that book! Not to mention that I have heaps of respect for the guy for how he's bravely faced and stood up for Parkinson's disease! I've had several members of my family who suffered from the disease.
I've always been a fan of his, but seeing how he's dealt with his disease has given me great respect for him. After watching his TV special back in May, "Adventures of an Incurable Optimist" (if you haven't seen it, you should! It's here.), I've follwed him pretty closely. His attitude is wonderful.

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #34
ZosofanCMR
Watching the Wheels

ZosofanCMR can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesZosofanCMR can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesZosofanCMR can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Just finished "The Gamble" about the Iraq Surge...now I'm reading "Laurel Canyon" a book about the 60's LA rock scene

mui bueno
ZosofanCMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
I am reading Stephen King's "Under The Dome"... (it is super thick... holy cow!)

I just bought "The Lovely Bones" today. I want to read it before I see the movie. So it is next on my list

Love to read when I get time
I rec you read Lovely Bones and then Sebold's memoir Lucky. It's a solid pairing, and one will really inform the other, but I warn you, I had to store Lucky under the bed and only read a few pages at a time now and then. It can be pretty intense.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #36
Edens_heel

Edens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Started - and finished - Precious/Push, by Sapphire today. Excellent read... I actually kept flashing back to Flowers for Algernon as I read it - totally different worlds and characters, but a very similar execution and unique writing style, becoming increasingly more literate as the story progresses. Now I just can't wait to see the film. Wondering if it's playing in the GTA tomorrow...
Edens_heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #37
Edens_heel

Edens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Oh, and up next is either Empire of the Sun, by J.G. Ballard, Anathem, by Neal Stephenson, or the graphic novel duet of Red Snow and A Drifting Life (again). I've been meaning to re-read A Drifting Life ever since I finished working on it, but for some reason I just haven't been able to sit down and sink my teeth into the final product - too many editorial passes methinks.
Edens_heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
I rec you read Lovely Bones and then Sebold's memoir Lucky. It's a solid pairing, and one will really inform the other, but I warn you, I had to store Lucky under the bed and only read a few pages at a time now and then. It can be pretty intense.
hahaha... I have wrapped King's books in clothes or towels and always put them under the bed or somewhere out of sight at night after reading since I was in highschool. Call me a chicken, I don't care. I will never just leave them out in the dark where I sleep
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #39
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm reading Angela's Ashes yet again, I read it every few years, I think it's my favorite of all time.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #40
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

Half the SKy - Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #41
protuberance
Paul R.Nelson is a cunt.

protuberance does more than just post hot picsprotuberance does more than just post hot picsprotuberance does more than just post hot pics

Hitman - Bret Hart
protuberance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #42
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #43
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!

A signed copy of Three Cups of Tea that my sister got me for Christmas. He even wrote a little note in there to me. Go sis!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #44
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm reading a light, uplifting book called, To Treat or Not to Treat: Bioethics and the Handicapped Newborn by Richard Sparks (as part of my program, but it involves stuff I'm really interested in and do work on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggletiger View Post
Attempting "Moby Dick" by Melville for the 3rd time.
I wish I could say that in the end it felt worth all the effort. I read it because my friend and I both agreed to read a book the other assigned us. It was good, but I guess I never fully connected with it. (Maybe not the best thing to say on the dawning of your 3rd attempt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyJoy View Post
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox, and The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series)
I really liked that Dave Eggers book! I have literary crushes on him and Jonathan Safran Foer. Dave Eggers has done some really great work in the inner cities, and wrote that great book about a Katrina survivor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West Coast View Post
A signed copy of Three Cups of Tea that my sister got me for Christmas. He even wrote a little note in there to me. Go sis!
Sweet! Let me know how you like it! Several of my friends read it, and it really inspired them.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #45
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens_heel View Post
Anathem, by Neal Stephenson
"Anathem" takes awhile to get into gear, but if you stick it out I think that you will agree that this is Stephenson's most enjoyable novel in quite awhile.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #46
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm reading "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.

Simmons gets his fair share of accolades, but it burns me that he isn't better known.

I'm enjoying "Hyperion" (The Canterbury Tales retold a couple few centuries in the future), but if you want to mainline Simmons, please check out "The Terror".
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #47
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have read all of my books, so I've gone back to the beginning. Right now i'm reading:

"A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" - James Joyce

"On The Road" - Kerouak

Roald Dahl's short stories - they're fantastic
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #48
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

took a break from Melville.
now its RED BADGE OF COURAGE and the COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #49
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West Coast View Post
Very good book. I am waiting for his new book "Sticks into Schools" to come out in paperback.
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #50
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus_dxb View Post
I have read all of my books, so I've gone back to the beginning. Right now i'm reading:

"A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" - James Joyce

"On The Road" - Kerouak

Roald Dahl's short stories - they're fantastic

Roald Dahl is the bomb diggity! Snarf blats and fizz whompers! He made me laugh so hard!
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote