Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #51
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
Roald Dahl is the bomb diggity! Snarf blats and fizz whompers! He made me laugh so hard!
Dahl is a favorite.

Have you read his "adult" novel "My Uncle Oswald". It tends to get shoved off to the side, but I think it is hilarious.

Basic Plot: Oswald and his partner Yasmin Howcomely plot to steal the semen of the greatest minds of the age using seduction and a powerful aphrodisiac.

The sequence with Marcel Proust always makes me laugh.

Fun.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #52
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am about 4/5 into War and Peace. Yes, the only reason people read War and Peace is to say that they read War and Peace.

I am also working on A Life of Picasso: The Triumphant Years by John Richardson, but nobody ever brags about John Richardson.
mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #53
hillking12

hillking12 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeshillking12 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

What is the What im almost half way in very good so far
hillking12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #54
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

READ IT!

It won the Newberry Medal and I would agree 100%. It was recommended by a coworker and I put off reading it for quite a while because it was billed as a children's/young adult book (personally I love children's literature but I've been to more grown up stuff lately). Anyway, it was well worth picking it up. I'll go out on a limb and place it up there with other children's lit classics and yeah, even Harry Potter (and if you know me you know that's high, high praise). READ IT and I dare you not to cry at the end like I did (ok, so I sobbed but I'm a dork).
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #55
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A Scanner Darkly- Philip K. Dick

meh. its ok i guess.
mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #56
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just finished The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop. It's probably the most fascinating nonfiction book I've ever read: I actually had trouble putting it down to do mundane things like eat. Highly recommended.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #57
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejix View Post
A Scanner Darkly- Philip K. Dick

meh. its ok i guess.
It gets better in the latter half, I found. I thought that it was very good, although philosophically a bit less engaging than some of Dick's other stuff.

I'm currently reading The Sign of Four, Arthur Conan Doyle's second Sherlock Holmes story. The first one, A Study in Scarlet, I found great, and I'm loving this one so far, too.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #58
Edens_heel

Edens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Just finished a collection of short stories by Wells Tower called Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned. It was a New York Times and Amazon notable book from last year, but honestly it was decidedly dull. I'm really growing tired of the trend in short story writing where they don't actually have a narrative through line of any kind... just resolve something, dammit!

Just picked up and am about to dive into Don Delillo's White Noise. Heard a great deal of positive buzz about this book, so my hopes are high.
Edens_heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #59
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm reading two very different books right now...

By the atheist ethicist Peter Singer, I'm reading: Rethinking Life and Death: The Collapse of Our Traditional Ethics. He's famous for advocating infanticide for babies born with disabilities and for a rational defense of animal rights.

Then I am also reading a book called Forget Not Love: The Passion of Maximilian Kolbe, a biography of this Catholic monk (who is a saint now) who voluntarily died in place of another prisoner in Auschwitz.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #60
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

my MADAWESOME new man bought me a few books this week, so I am reading:

American Psycho (FINALLY. funnily enough- the only book which has to be sold in plastic wrap in Australia)

Meatphysics

How to Make Trouble and Influence People
Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #61
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

Diane Mott Davidson - Dying for chocolate
Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #62
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Iím just finishing the Hyperion Cantos.

I was probably a mistake to try to read all four books (2500 pages) in a month. Dan Simmons is one of our best pop fiction writers, but his penchant for spewing endless catalogs of trivial detail can get exhausting after awhile.

So, itís taking me forever to finish ďThe Rise of EndymionĒ. It is very start and stop as Simmons breaks in for yet another travelogue. I think Iíd be more tolerant if Iíd given the books more room to breathe, but right now I just want to see how everything comes out and donít much care for extraneous world building.

That said, I am impressed with the Hyperion Cantos. I donít read much science fiction, but from what I have this seems to be top notch stuff. The scope of the story and the rich philosophical, aesthetic, and social undercurrents make for a challenging and interesting read.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #63
bmann0413
PLAYER ONE READY! START!

bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!

A book called "Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings" by John Michael Greer. It's a pretty interesting group but the cover for it kinda creeps me out. lol
Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #64
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Finished COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, great read, went by fast.
RED BADGE OF COURAGE not bad dialouge was a little bit to read

Now I finished reading TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee great book worth a reread, goes by fast

CATCHER IN THE RYE by Salinger. I am up to chapter 6 and to me the book is shit. I am not seeing the greatness here. I can see why Salinger is a one hit wonder at best. Just because a squeeze in a swear word in every sentence just gets old after a while and Salinger just comes off as low class. Then leads me to sit there and say what publisher could read that crap of Salinger's and call it a decent story. Might as well have published used toilet paper. Maybe the book gets better but I am not seeing any improvement.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #65
Edens_heel

Edens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEdens_heel is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggletiger View Post
Finished COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, great read, went by fast.
RED BADGE OF COURAGE not bad dialouge was a little bit to read

Now I finished reading TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee great book worth a reread, goes by fast

CATCHER IN THE RYE by Salinger. I am up to chapter 6 and to me the book is shit. I am not seeing the greatness here. I can see why Salinger is a one hit wonder at best. Just because a squeeze in a swear word in every sentence just gets old after a while and Salinger just comes off as low class. Then leads me to sit there and say what publisher could read that crap of Salinger's and call it a decent story. Might as well have published used toilet paper. Maybe the book gets better but I am not seeing any improvement.
Great choices, especially The Count of Monte Cristo - to this day, it is the finest example I've ever read or experienced of wrapping up all your loose threads in one grand, epic, brilliant conclusion.

Currently working through Delillo's White Noise and loving it so far, and also reading Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature, and editing a brilliant little mosaic of short stories titled Urban Unmentionables and Other Tales of the Fantastic.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #66
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

(crossposted)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #67
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Joel Kotkin. The Next Hundred Million: America in 2050

is a pretty positive snapshop of what America will look like in terms of its demographics by 2050 in relation to other nations and current expectations. its an interesting and hopeful argument counter to what a lot other futurists are writing in terms of the economy, globalism, green culture and the future of suburbs and rural america. interesting read.

here's a cspan video of the author discussing his book:

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/program/id/219640
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #68
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

(crossposted)
love the accompanying photo for some reason it puts me in the mind of a barry moser woodcut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moser1.jpg (15.1 KB, 67 views)
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #69
Agent 007
Shtick man

Agent 007 does more than just post hot picsAgent 007 does more than just post hot picsAgent 007 does more than just post hot picsAgent 007 does more than just post hot pics

'The Balkans: Nationalism, War and the Great Powers, 1804-1999' by Misha Glenny, a former correspondent for The Guardian and the BBC. The book focuses on the role that the Great Powers played in the development of the Southeastern Europe. A must read for anyone who wants to be involved in that region.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #70
Edens_heel

Just finished Delillo's White Noise (fantastic, btw) and am moving on to the first book in David Peace's Red Riding Quartet, Nineteen Seventy-Four.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #71
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

"The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster. Lucid precise writing; gargantuan abstract themes. I'm liking it so far.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #72
Edens_heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgujer148 View Post
"The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster. Lucid precise writing; gargantuan abstract themes. I'm liking it so far.
One of my absolute favourite books. I would also recommend In The Country of Last Things, Timbuktu, and Leviathan. All his books are fantastic, but those three stand out.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #73
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just finished Push, by Sapphire. Not the best book to read in public. And in the beginning of the book, you have to go very slowly to understand the words, as it's written in the diction of Precious.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #74
Weirdo890

Weirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Walt Disney's Nine Old Men and the Art of Animation by John Canemaker

THis is a book about the nine animators who created and animated the many Disney characters you've come to love. This tell their stories about their lives, their egos, battles, and jobs at the Walt Disney Studio. A damn good read for any aspiring animator or animation aficionado.

"Conquer all, but one escapes
Govern all, but one dissents
Embark on genocide, and one shall rise to damn you."
- Jack Kirby "Hunger Dogs"

My YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU24ty301nY
Weirdo890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #75
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgujer148 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens_heel View Post
One of my absolute favourite books. I would also recommend In The Country of Last Things, Timbuktu, and Leviathan. All his books are fantastic, but those three stand out.
to you both. I've also really enjoyed the several books I've read by Auster. And I'd add Music of Chance to the list.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote