Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The Scale: Friend or Foe?

After about a decade of not owning a scale, I bought one yesterday. This is not because I am trying to change my weight in one way or the other, it is more just for knowledge. I have been weighing myself when I visit my family, since they have a scale, but that is only about once every couple of months. The last time I visited them I noticed I had put on about 10 pounds, and it was somewhat of a surprise, and I wondered what I had been doing differently, if anything.

So I decided to buy a scale, just to keep an eye on things and be aware of weight fluctuations in either direction and what causes them. Just to get to know my body better, etc. It was a hard decision because when I first became more aware of and active in the SA movement, throwing out the scale was one of the first (and best) decisions I made. But now I'm hoping I can just use it as a tool for awareness, and not let whatever number shows up make/break my day or have too much power over me.

We'll see whether this is possible...

Here are the things I'm wondering: Do you own a scale? Why or why not? How's that working out for you?

*This Question is for my fellow BBW/SSBBW. While I realize women and men of all sizes can have complicated relationships with weight/scale, I am posting this in the BBW forum because I want to talk about this issue particularly from a BBW/SSBBW perspective.*

Last edited by LovelyLiz; 02-02-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Rephrase.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
lozonloz

lozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going on

I dont own a scale, but my mother does own a very expensive digital scale due to her business...

Ironically she's a weight loss consultant I tend to stay out of the way when her clients come over becuase I dislike the "Why arent you skinny" conversations.

I weigh myself on those scales about once a month, and I'd say its overall a positive thing. I do it to check my weight and moderate it because frankly, I'm simply too poor to buy myself new clothes all over again. My jeans cost 30! I want them to last, so if I go 4 pounds or so in either direction in a month I eat abit less or more or exercise more. Until I'm around the same again. It's taught me alot about how my body loses and gains weight and why. I think learning these things about your body can only be a positive thing.
lozonloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

I own a scale. My weight used to fluctuate a lot and I like to keep track of it. The actual numbers don't bother me, but I've realized that significant weight gain/loss is important for me to know. Last year I got really sick and could only keep down thin soup. I lost almost 15 lbs. in a week and y'know that's not a good thing.
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have a scale, we have always had a stormy relationship. For many years, I just couldn't weigh myself. It didn't go high enough, now I can weigh myself but it has lost the power it once had over me. It doesn't matter to me anymore. It's been very liberating. All those years of physicals, being weighed at school, always terrified of being the biggest, (I always was), now it just doesn't matter. Who would've thought?
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Tam

Tam can now change their title

I have my own scale, and i weight myself frequently!
Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have a scale I don't use (I bought it for someone else). My gym used to have a scale in the locker room, but it's now gone. Sadly, I've been seeing doctors a lot lately, and get weighed at every single visit, so that's good enough for me. I don't care who in the medical profession knows my weight. I'd be happier if it were a bit lower, but I fluctuate within the same...9 or so lbs.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Geektastic1

Geektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot picsGeektastic1 does more than just post hot pics

I don't own one. Thought about getting one, but it would just make for extra clutter. I'll weigh myself at the doctor's, at a friend's house, or a public scale once in a while, which is enough for me. I haven't gained or lost much weight or changed size in the past two years anyway.
Geektastic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Anyone remember Jean? Can't remember her user name but she used to post here years ago. She had a web page where she'd show the scales that she took out and used for target practice. Now there's a scale I've enjoyed seeing!

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have never owned a scale. I am going to be getting one. For years, I never ' wanted to know ', and I never had much of a burning need to know. I have decided that I want and need this tool.

That is how I will view it...a tool.

As I do want to lower the number I see on it, and with my sometimes erratic eating...and as I age...I know I personally need this. Am a little excited to buy a scale, to tell you the truth. Perhaps I am a little too easily excited.

At the same time, I am proud and happy for those who have been haunted by and abused by scolding numbers.....to have very limited contact with something so benign being used as a weapon against them.

I want fat women to be making the call....nobody else.....no matter what side of the fence they are on. Our lives, physical and mental...are our own.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
That is how I will view it...a tool.
Totally. That scale: what a tool!

(You know I <3 You)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

No, I don't own one and never will. I hate weighing scales - they remind me of all the awful, numbing, humiliating doctors' visits I had to endure when I was younger. I'll never forget being 15 and standing on one while this bitch of a female doctor walked around me, nudging at my stomach, telling me how I didn't have a hope of finding any kind of happiness if i didn't lose 40kilos tomorrow. She kept saying to me: "Do you want to be one of those women we have to weigh with the scales they use in the zoo or the train station? Like an animal thats too fat to fit on something meant for normal people?" That memory still brings tears to my eyes so no, I don't own one. I keep an eye on my weight by measuring myself. If the centimetres are creeping up I'll step on my sister's to see whats potting but otherwise - no fucking way.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

I bought a scale last week - I was so fed up with the "error" my old scale told me every time I stepped on - I need the numbers, too.

I know I'm not at the weight I feel comfortable and healthy with, but atm I'm not able to live without my daily bars of chocolate. But - this "comfortable weight" is nothing that can be measured up in numbers...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Don't own one. Never have probably because I just didn't get caught up in numbers. As long as I was looking and feeling my best, I wasn't concerned with the actual digits. But I can see its value in being a tool to aid in keeping track of weight.

However, now that I'm losing a bit of weight from a recent surgery, I do want to weigh myself for some reason. I've expressed concern to my Mother in confidence about the fear of becoming to...thin? and she's reassured me that I've never been thin so I'll probably bounce right back. It's weird though, because it's sort of sad to me to lose some weight. I guess I'm just really comfortable and used to being a chunky chick.

I still won't buy a scale, so I'll just be in the know everytime I get weighed at the doc.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have a scale. I bought my first one when I was 26...it went up to 750lbs. My skinny ass husband broke it somehow. Then I got the popular black talking one with silver squares on....then it stopped weighing me acurately when I got near the limit of 550. I still have it though! My current one is heavy duty and goes up to 1000lbs.

Now my relationship with the scale is a seriously fucked up one. I retain water like no ones business and can easily put on 30lbs in a week...and I can lose 30 pounds in a week. Even in knowing this, I punish myself if what I see number wise does not reflect the effort I have put in on healthy eating and exercise. I'm seriously like a bulimic without the purging. I have the delusional image thing going on. Some days I feel light, look light and can move better...and other days I feel 900lbs and care barely move and am depressed.

I wish I didn't place my self worth on a stupid number, but seeing as I have been weighed and either praised or shamed since I was 2, it is seriously engrained.
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

hmpf. Scales. There was a time in my life that I was at war with the scales. If they're out and accessible, it becomes too easy for me to become obsessed with them. However, I do like to keep rough track of my weight, so my compromise is that I keep them in the attic....and bring them out to weigh every month or so.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
bigjayne66
Belly Queen

bigjayne66 does more than just post hot picsbigjayne66 does more than just post hot picsbigjayne66 does more than just post hot picsbigjayne66 does more than just post hot pics

I have two sets of doctors scales ,one foot on each lol,then get my neighbour to read them ,usually a couple of times a month,they will weigh 700lbs between them.not afraid of them since I passed 400 a couple months ago...
bigjayne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Dmitra
Drawing down the moonpie

Dmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions community

No scales here. The disgust of being weighed in class every year made me hate them, especially after 5th grade when the other kids were way too interested in the number - 153 lb (~70 kg) on a 5'2 frame, shocking eh? My teacher just had to tell me she only weighed 144 which did not help. Anywho, fast forward lots of years to now when I don't mind stepping on the scale at the doctor's. I still don't want a scale in my home because it'd be a daily reminder of all that past self and societal hatred, though. I'm now 5'7 and maintained around 365 lb (~166 kg) for the past 6 years of weighing with my anti-dieting ways, just to say it.
Dmitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

Do some of you find the sight of scales triggering?
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrae View Post
Do some of you find the sight of scales triggering?
Yes, to the point if breaking out in a cold sweat in the doctors office. This has been a little while ago, they knew better than to even mention the scale. It was like a panic attack, I would physically get sick to my stomach. It's no wonder my blood pressure was through the roof. I've always hated going to the doctor because I would be weighed.

I don't really want to post this but I will, it brings up feelings that are difficult for me..
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
LovelyLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Yes, to the point if breaking out in a cold sweat in the doctors office. This has been a little while ago, they knew better than to even mention the scale. It was like a panic attack, I would physically get sick to my stomach. It's no wonder my blood pressure was through the roof. I've always hated going to the doctor because I would be weighed.

I don't really want to post this but I will, it brings up feelings that are difficult for me..
I hear you on this. I don't think my reactions were quite as strong about getting weighed at the doctor's office, but I will say that when I realized I could refuse to be weighed when I went to the doctor, it was like a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders.

I love when I go there, and the nurse is like, "Step up on the scale" and I say, "No, that's okay. Not today." It feels good to be able to advocate for myself in this way.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #21
supersizebbw
Who run the world..Girls!

supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i bought my first personal weighing scale last year, this was immediately after i found out that both the doctor's scale and gym scale didn't weigh over 330pounds (150kgs)...the humiliation of stepping on a scale infront of another human being and it giving the dreaded ERR sign was just too much to take. so i finally bought my own to be able to weigh in the comfort and privacy of my room.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Scales have been friend and foe! I really hate stepping on the scales at the Dr. office, but I figure it is a tool to help keep me at healthy levels. Sudden weight loss or gain can indicate a myriad of health problems, many of these health issues do run in my family. However, I don't weigh at home because it just reminds me how I used to be a slave to those scales.

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Definitely a friend. I am trying to lose weight and feel that not getting too hung up on the number on the scale is going to be important to sticking to my diet (lifestyle change, whatever you want to call it). I try not to weigh myself anymore than every 7-10 days and figure any number as long as it is less than the previous time is a good number.

I went a long time without a scale and passed on being weighed at the doctor's office and guess what? Major gains. So now, the scale is my bff and helps me stay on track.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #24
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
However, now that I'm losing a bit of weight from a recent surgery, I do want to weigh myself for some reason. I've expressed concern to my Mother in confidence about the fear of becoming to...thin? and she's reassured me that I've never been thin so I'll probably bounce right back.
This story made me smile, Ash! So different from the typical parental/scale experience.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #25
Theresa48

Theresa48 does more than just post hot picsTheresa48 does more than just post hot picsTheresa48 does more than just post hot pics

The scale isn't my friend. Sometimes I walk by it and curse its existance even though I am the one that bought it and put it there. Throwing it out isn't an option because then I admit it has power over me. I guess I keep it because who knows? Someday I might need it for whatever purpose it would serve. On re-reading this it occurs to me that I could apply this to my ex-husband....bad relationship that was. LOL! The scale should be a tool to track my health but it isn't. It is a torture device no matter the numbers going up or going down. Okay...so now you know...I am a mess.
Theresa48 is offline   Reply With Quote